Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

HowardHamlin

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by HowardHamlin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

Oliviapope123 wrote:
gongjublah123 wrote:
Oliviapope123 wrote:My dad knows a CLS interviewer. Here’s the scoop on interviews. Columbia is moving towards interviewing all candidates. An interview is a good sign- of course make sure if there are any questionable areas on your application, that you are prepared. Reasons for interview may be random, because they find you interesting, for scholarship purposes and for those that are borderline- it means they want to take you so just be prepared and relaxed. People that get in within the first few days of ED notifications are the ones they really believe will add to the class. Hope this helps.
Do you happen to have an idea of what that means for people who did not get an interview (and get in)? Or would those people be included in the "get in within the first few days of ED notifications"?
I’m not entirely sure of your question. Many ED applicants get in without an interview. Those that got in within the first day or two are applicants with and without interviews and are people that they believe will add to the class ( shoe-ins for whatever reason). I don’t know anything about those that didn’t get in ED other than to say that getting deferred to the regular decision applicant pool is better than outright rejection. Those deferred will still have a small advantage then a similar candidate with the same stats as they are aware that you really want to go there as you were ED. Good Luck.
Your dad's friend sounds really knowledgeable.

HowardHamlin

New

Post by HowardHamlin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 am

dm1683 wrote:
hopefullya1L wrote:Did anyone send a thank you email after the interview? Not sure what common practice is.
nope, why thank someone for something you know you deserve? 8)
Hell yeah! Why show any courtesy to a lowly admissions rep?

bluesmanvi

New

Post by bluesmanvi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

Oliviapope123 wrote:My dad knows a CLS interviewer. Here’s the scoop on interviews. Columbia is moving towards interviewing all candidates. An interview is a good sign- of course make sure if there are any questionable areas on your application, that you are prepared. Reasons for interview may be random, because they find you interesting, for scholarship purposes and for those that are borderline- it means they want to take you so just be prepared and relaxed. People that get in within the first few days of ED notifications are the ones they really believe will add to the class. Hope this helps.
This sounds like something an adcom would say.

If you are an adcom, we love your school. Please let us in.

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am

bluesmanvi wrote:
This sounds like something an adcom would say.

If you are an adcom, we love your school. Please let us in.
+10000000000 :D

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm

HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
hopefullya1L wrote:Did anyone send a thank you email after the interview? Not sure what common practice is.
Lol I always send thank you notes just in case! It can never hurt. My team at work is interviewing some candidates for an assistant position, and the candidates who failed to send a thank you note kind of show a lack of basic business courtesy. Not a deal breaker but definitely makes them look super inexperienced in the professional world (which most of them are, anyway, since it's an entry level position). Of course, what I'm dealing with is a job interview and not a law school admissions interview, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm

38981928 wrote:
HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Lol I always send thank you notes just in case! It can never hurt. My team at work is interviewing some candidates for an assistant position, and the candidates who failed to send a thank you note kind of show a lack of basic business courtesy. Not a deal breaker but definitely makes them look super inexperienced in the professional world (which most of them are, anyway, since it's an entry level position). Of course, what I'm dealing with is a job interview and not a law school admissions interview, but better safe than sorry IMO.
I’m just not sure I buy this. My dad is a hiring manager at a large company and when I asked him if it was common for applicants to send thank you notes, he actually laughed. He said he’s maybe received a couple over the years but it’s not a common or expected thing at all, and regardless, it would have no impact on his decision at all. The most qualified candidate is going to get the job.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
38981928 wrote:
HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
I’m just not sure I buy this. My dad is a hiring manager at a large company and when I asked him if it was common for applicants to send thank you notes, he actually laughed. He said he’s maybe received a couple over the years but it’s not a common or expected thing at all, and regardless, it would have no impact on his decision at all. The most qualified candidate is going to get the job.
I think it really depends on the work culture at the company! My company is very formal and old school about everything. I was actually more chill about the thank-you notes because I've had internships with bigger companies that were more relaxed, but my boss and my boss's boss made a big fuss over who sent thank you notes and who didn't (had to write an Excel file with that). Also, my Northwestern interviewer (older alumna) told me she appreciated my thank you note and said that it's "disappointing" how candidates usually neglect that. All my undergrad professors also emphasized the post-interview thank you note. Could also just be where I live and the culture here.

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm

38981928 wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
38981928 wrote:
HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
I think it really depends on the work culture at the company! My company is very formal and old school about everything. I was actually more chill about the thank-you notes because I've had internships with bigger companies that were more relaxed, but my boss and my boss's boss made a big fuss over who sent thank you notes and who didn't (had to write an Excel file with that). Also, my Northwestern interviewer (older alumna) told me she appreciated my thank you note and said that it's "disappointing" how candidates usually neglect that. All my undergrad professors also emphasized the post-interview thank you note. Could also just be where I live and the culture here.
Oh no. Now I feel horrible. :oops: Would it be better to send one late than never?
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:38 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
38981928 wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
38981928 wrote:
HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Oh no. Now I feel horrible. :oops: Would it be better to send one late than never?
I really don't think it's a big deal if time has passed already! Like I said, not a deal breaker for me personally and I doubt you would be rejected on the basis of a thank you note.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

what.like.its.hard

New

Post by what.like.its.hard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm

nyuCSmajor wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Any ED applicant still waiting for their result?
YES !! :(
Same ugh but trying to stay positive...which is turning out to be quite difficult lol

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

what.like.its.hard wrote:
nyuCSmajor wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Any ED applicant still waiting for their result?
YES !! :(
Same ugh but trying to stay positive...which is turning out to be quite difficult lol
Same but as I've mentioned earlier, they asked for my Fall grades, which I won't be able to submit until about Christmas Eve, so I'm not expecting to hear back until January.

bobloblaw21

New

Post by bobloblaw21 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
38981928 wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
38981928 wrote:
HowardHamlin wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
I mean I think that we should just remember what a thank you note really is... a nice gesture. Someone receiving a thank you note will probably appreciate it for about four seconds and then forget about it. If they do not receive a thank you note, the WORST thing that would happen is they would go home to their spouse and be like, "Ugh, people never say thank you. Anyway, let's binge watch The Crown."

I highly doubt that someone would interview you for a school, think, "Wow, this person is an amazing candidate," and then be like, "BUT THEY DIDNT THANK ME???!/1?!?!? REJECT." I also highly doubt that someone would interview you, think, "Eh that wasn't a great interview," then receive your thank you note and decide "you know what... I really didn't like them as an applicant, BUT they are SOOOO nice, so what the hell..."

So basically, I feel like this is a personal decision that should be based on your opinions about social norms. If you feel like it's the polite/kind thing to do, write a thank you note. If you don't care, don't. I really don't think it's going to have a noticeable effect on your admissions at all. Or it wouldn't if I were an adcom lol

Also, though, perhaps more importantly, this is clearly stressing you out. So it seems like one obvious solution would be write the note and stop panicking.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 pm

bobloblaw21 wrote: I mean I think that we should just remember what a thank you note really is... a nice gesture. Someone receiving a thank you note will probably appreciate it for about four seconds and then forget about it. If they do not receive a thank you note, the WORST thing that would happen is they would go home to their spouse and be like, "Ugh, people never say thank you. Anyway, let's binge watch The Crown."

I highly doubt that someone would interview you for a school, think, "Wow, this person is an amazing candidate," and then be like, "BUT THEY DIDNT THANK ME???!/1?!?!? REJECT." I also highly doubt that someone would interview you, think, "Eh that wasn't a great interview," then receive your thank you note and decide "you know what... I really didn't like them as an applicant, BUT they are SOOOO nice, so what the hell..."

So basically, I feel like this is a personal decision that should be based on your opinions about social norms. If you feel like it's the polite/kind thing to do, write a thank you note. If you don't care, don't. I really don't think it's going to have a noticeable effect on your admissions at all. Or it wouldn't if I were an adcom lol

Also, though, perhaps more importantly, this is clearly stressing you out. So it seems like one obvious solution would be write the note and stop panicking.
yeah, and btw I was joking in my earlier comment. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobloblaw21

New

Post by bobloblaw21 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 pm

dm1683 wrote:
bobloblaw21 wrote: I mean I think that we should just remember what a thank you note really is... a nice gesture. Someone receiving a thank you note will probably appreciate it for about four seconds and then forget about it. If they do not receive a thank you note, the WORST thing that would happen is they would go home to their spouse and be like, "Ugh, people never say thank you. Anyway, let's binge watch The Crown."

yeah, and btw I was joking in my earlier comment. :)
oh girl i got you ;) i prob shouldn't have quoted the whole chain lol it wasn't like directed at anyone

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm

+1

I didn't mean to set off any panic! I just meant to say that if it's on your mind and the interview happened fairly recently, it certainly can't hurt you, and I personally prefer to err on the side of caution. I just really think it takes such minimal effort to write a thank you note, so it's not a big deal for me to do it. (Also, I'm in a PR role in a company that critiques people in their official annual performance review for failing to say "good morning" and "how are you" on a regular basis, so I certainly don't mean to imply that my experience is the norm everywhere... the obsession with pleasantries here is a little on the extra side.)

urbandictionary

New

Post by urbandictionary » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 am

Is it possible to get a scholarship without an interview?

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 am

urbandictionary wrote:Is it possible to get a scholarship without an interview?
I believe it is, though it may not be as likely.
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 am

38981928 wrote:

+1

I didn't mean to set off any panic! I just meant to say that if it's on your mind and the interview happened fairly recently, it certainly can't hurt you, and I personally prefer to err on the side of caution. I just really think it takes such minimal effort to write a thank you note, so it's not a big deal for me to do it. (Also, I'm in a PR role in a company that critiques people in their official annual performance review for failing to say "good morning" and "how are you" on a regular basis, so I certainly don't mean to imply that my experience is the norm everywhere... the obsession with pleasantries here is a little on the extra side.)
Thank you both, I stopped freaking out haha. That PR company sounds excessive...but sounds like you're going to be trained to kill it in OCI and all that. :D
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3toedsloth

New

Post by 3toedsloth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Interviewer said that first round of RD acceptances should come out mid Jan.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Platopus wrote:
3toedsloth wrote:Interviewer said that first round of RD acceptances should come out mid Jan.
Booooo
seconded.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:39 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
Platopus wrote:
3toedsloth wrote:Interviewer said that first round of RD acceptances should come out mid Jan.
Booooo
seconded.
Third!

guppies16

New

Post by guppies16 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

are interview requests and dings via email?

PWADatUNC

New

Post by PWADatUNC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am

Just got an email request to send in fall grades. Taking my last 2 finals today so now I’m really motivated!!!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 am

PWADatUNC wrote:Just got an email request to send in fall grades. Taking my last 2 finals today so now I’m really motivated!!!
Slay your finals! Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”