Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

FriedChickenHero

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by FriedChickenHero » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Samiam1738 wrote:my interview is in 30 min and i have not received a contact request from Columbia. Is there anything i need to do? its the regular skype right? not skype for business
My contact request came right when the interview was supposed to start.

Samiam1738

New

Post by Samiam1738 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Still nothing

Dickens

New

Post by Dickens » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Samiam1738 wrote:Still nothing
Think they said in the instructions to give it 10 mins or so

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

what.like.its.hard wrote:Any ED applicants still without interview requests? I applied pretty late (literally on 11/15), but am assuming this silence is not a good thing :(
Any rejections/ deferrals to RD yet?
I applied early November still haven't heard anything, but not gonna start accepting defeat until Christmas. Slightly above 25% for GPA and LSAT.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 pm

bosshawg wrote:
what.like.its.hard wrote:Any ED applicants still without interview requests? I applied pretty late (literally on 11/15), but am assuming this silence is not a good thing :(
I applied early November still haven't heard anything, but not gonna start accepting defeat until Christmas. Slightly above 25% for GPA and LSAT.
FWIW, I'm an RD applicant, but I applied 10/20ish and only got interview request yesterday. Don't give up yet!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nishikiizumo

New

Post by nishikiizumo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:58 am

It's been two days after my interview and I didn't receive anything from them confirming my interview went complete... wondering if that's the norm

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:04 am

Just got a fee waiver today, and I am VERY confused.

"On the basis of your performance on the LSAT only, you have been identified as a prospective law school applicant who, on that criterion alone, has demonstrated a capability to contribute to and benefit from a legal education of the first order"

Given that I'm a URM with a 167, I feel like the 'only' and the 'on that criterion alone' bits should be followed by a high-pitched "wink." "We think your 167 is special, despite you being below both our 25th %iles. It's so special, in fact, we just can't seem to explain why. Almost as if, for legal reasons, we are unable to."

Anyone else in my situation get one of these and use it? I'm not sure whether to apply or not. I'm not on the biglaw track, and even with the decent scholly's they've thrown at low-number URMs in the past, the thought of 89k a year makes my stomach hurt. :(

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:14 am

tominusprime wrote:Just got a fee waiver today, and I am VERY confused.

"On the basis of your performance on the LSAT only, you have been identified as a prospective law school applicant who, on that criterion alone, has demonstrated a capability to contribute to and benefit from a legal education of the first order"

Given that I'm a URM with a 167, I feel like the 'only' and the 'on that criterion alone' bits should be followed by a high-pitched "wink." "We think your 167 is special, despite you being below both our 25th %iles. It's so special, in fact, we just can't seem to explain why. Almost as if, for legal reasons, we are unable to."

Anyone else in my situation get one of these and use it? I'm not sure whether to apply or not. I'm not on the biglaw track, and even with the decent scholly's they've thrown at low-number URMs in the past, the thought of 89k a year makes my stomach hurt. :(
FWIW I know a AA URM at Columbia with an LSAT in the 150s.

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 am

Just sent in my application!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

15atay

New

Post by 15atay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am

I got the same email! I'm also in the same boat. Under 25% Lsat, Over 75% GPA URM, I want to do public service law. I went on and applied anyways because I want to go to school in NYC and did ED because I know a name/education like that can open doors. Had an interview even with my super low LSAT score, have to send in my fall grades before the decision. They have a good loan repayment program for public service which is how I calm myself down when I look at the price tag. Good Luck!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 am

bosshawg wrote:
I still haven't gotten an interview request but they asked for my Fall grades.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm

etramak wrote:FWIW I know a AA URM at Columbia with an LSAT in the 150s.
I know one at a different T6 who got into Columbia with a high 15x LSAT as well. Always gotta shoot your shot.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm

I know two non-URM's who got the same waiver yesterday fwiw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArthurTimothyRead

New

Post by ArthurTimothyRead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I really wonder how they curated the list of people who got that email. I'm URM with a 175 and haven't received anything from Columbia.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KG2482

New

Post by KG2482 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:19 am

chewinggum wrote:

I'm a non-URM and I got this most recent waiver (LSAT~25th, GPA>75th). I sent an application their way, I figure the worst that can happen is rejection and I've already made peace with not getting into a T6.

Oliviapope123

New

Post by Oliviapope123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:02 pm

My dad knows a CLS interviewer. Here’s the scoop on interviews. Columbia is moving towards interviewing all candidates. An interview is a good sign- of course make sure if there are any questionable areas on your application, that you are prepared. Reasons for interview may be random, because they find you interesting, for scholarship purposes and for those that are borderline- it means they want to take you so just be prepared and relaxed. People that get in within the first few days of ED notifications are the ones they really believe will add to the class. Hope this helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Oliviapope123 wrote:My dad knows a CLS interviewer. Here’s the scoop on interviews. Columbia is moving towards interviewing all candidates. An interview is a good sign- of course make sure if there are any questionable areas on your application, that you are prepared. Reasons for interview may be random, because they find you interesting, for scholarship purposes and for those that are borderline- it means they want to take you so just be prepared and relaxed. People that get in within the first few days of ED notifications are the ones they really believe will add to the class. Hope this helps.
This is great info! Thanks:) Any word on dates for the first RDs?

lowyo

New

Post by lowyo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Oliviapope123 wrote:My dad knows a CLS interviewer. Here’s the scoop on interviews. Columbia is moving towards interviewing all candidates. An interview is a good sign- of course make sure if there are any questionable areas on your application, that you are prepared. Reasons for interview may be random, because they find you interesting, for scholarship purposes and for those that are borderline- it means they want to take you so just be prepared and relaxed. People that get in within the first few days of ED notifications are the ones they really believe will add to the class. Hope this helps.
If some are random then an interview would not necessarily be a good sign. Any idea as to what percentage of those that interview end up with an acceptance?

Oliviapope123

New

Post by Oliviapope123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:25 pm

lowyo wrote:
If some are random then an interview would not necessarily be a good sign. Any idea as to what percentage of those that interview end up with an acceptance?
The random ones are from a pool of acceptable applicants- so an interview is a great sign. A very large percent of people that get interviewed, get accepted. Don’t know the percentage.

Oliviapope123

New

Post by Oliviapope123 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Also, an interview is not necessary to get in so don’t fret if you did not get one. Have no idea when RDs will come out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowyo

New

Post by lowyo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Oliviapope123 wrote:
lowyo wrote:
The random ones are from a pool of acceptable applicants- so an interview is a great sign. A very large percent of people that get interviewed, get accepted. Don’t know the percentage.
Cool, thanks!

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 am

chewinggum wrote:

Oh, that's fantastic news, I sincerely hope they get in!

I was just a little put off by my receiving a waiver because my LSDAS GPA has been clearly noted on my CRS profile for ages, and it is terrifyingly low. Like sub-2.5 low. The cynic in me assumed it was either race-related or they needed to up their rejection rate.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 am

Do we have info on how late in the cycle they will continue to offer interviews?

I want to have a good idea of when I should give up all home and cry myself to sleep nightly. Gotta put it in my planner.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”