Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

appind

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by appind » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
rachelac wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
Cooley_Or_Bust wrote:I have an interview with a Northwestern alum coming up. Is there any specific questions they ask or is it just a general interview?
Expect some standard questions certainly, but interviewers are given latitude to get a feel for the applicant in a more general sense. You can search TLS and find some of the questions that have been used in the past, but they won't surprise you. And sometimes the applicant's resume can carve a different path for the interview (say, unique background/work experience). I assume very few people (if any) try to play "gotcha" with truly weird stuff.
would the off-campus NW alum interviewer have read the resume, application and the applicant's numbers etc? have contacted the assigned alum interviewer and haven't heard back.
In my experience (on campus interview with admission staff so it may vary) they have not looked at the application/ statements and did not have my numbers on hand. They asked that you bring a resume.
My off-campus person had not seen any of my stuff so I brought a resume and personal statement in a folder that I left with her!
Yeah, the only thing we get as an off-campus alumni interviewer is a name and email. Either we or the applicant will make contact. My applicant emailed his resume before the interview, which was helpful to avoid the awkward "reviewing the resume" minutes at the outset. We don't have your numbers or anything else from your app. I would suggest only the resume for the interview (no need for PS, recs, numbers, etc.).
Checked with the off campus alum about if he needs my resume and what dress code, received a message it's up to my judgment. Not sure what to make of it, send resume, wear formal?
It's at the firm's office.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 pm

appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
rachelac wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
Cooley_Or_Bust wrote:I have an interview with a Northwestern alum coming up. Is there any specific questions they ask or is it just a general interview?
Expect some standard questions certainly, but interviewers are given latitude to get a feel for the applicant in a more general sense. You can search TLS and find some of the questions that have been used in the past, but they won't surprise you. And sometimes the applicant's resume can carve a different path for the interview (say, unique background/work experience). I assume very few people (if any) try to play "gotcha" with truly weird stuff.
would the off-campus NW alum interviewer have read the resume, application and the applicant's numbers etc? have contacted the assigned alum interviewer and haven't heard back.
In my experience (on campus interview with admission staff so it may vary) they have not looked at the application/ statements and did not have my numbers on hand. They asked that you bring a resume.
My off-campus person had not seen any of my stuff so I brought a resume and personal statement in a folder that I left with her!
Yeah, the only thing we get as an off-campus alumni interviewer is a name and email. Either we or the applicant will make contact. My applicant emailed his resume before the interview, which was helpful to avoid the awkward "reviewing the resume" minutes at the outset. We don't have your numbers or anything else from your app. I would suggest only the resume for the interview (no need for PS, recs, numbers, etc.).
Checked with the off campus alum about if he needs my resume and what dress code, received a message it's up to my judgment. Not sure what to make of it, send resume, wear formal?
It's at the firm's office.
Just being paranoid here, but I feel like it's a test to see what your judgment is (maybe Northwestern tells them to do that?). Lol definitely email the resume ahead of time, bring a hard copy just in case, and better to be overdressed than underdressed especially at a firm IMO!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm

38981928 wrote:Just being paranoid here, but I feel like it's a test to see what your judgment is (maybe Northwestern tells them to do that?). Lol definitely email the resume ahead of time, bring a hard copy just in case, and better to be overdressed than underdressed especially at a firm IMO!
I doubt white tie and tails would make the right impression....
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:45 pm

I applied ED and my status checker still does not have a check mark next to the ED cert. I emailed and called and they said they received it and it just takes a while for the status checker to update both times, but I sent it in 11/21 so I have this paranoid thought that they did not review me for ED. :mrgreen:

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:12 pm

wmbuff wrote:
38981928 wrote:Just being paranoid here, but I feel like it's a test to see what your judgment is (maybe Northwestern tells them to do that?). Lol definitely email the resume ahead of time, bring a hard copy just in case, and better to be overdressed than underdressed especially at a firm IMO!
I doubt white tie and tails would make the right impression....
Lol I assumed the note about "formal" means "business formal" i.e. full suit! I came in a pencil skirt and jacket combo and they had a random casual day when I went (it was not a Friday), and the interviewer apologized for her casual attire (she was wearing chinos and a nice blouse so not even that casual) and said she appreciated that I dressed appropriately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Art_Vandelay_

New

Post by Art_Vandelay_ » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Does the status checker update at all after it moves to "Application Complete"? Just wondering if it's worth checking it at all in moments of anxiety...

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Art_Vandelay_ wrote:Does the status checker update at all after it moves to "Application Complete"? Just wondering if it's worth checking it at all in moments of anxiety...

Retweet.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
Art_Vandelay_ wrote:Does the status checker update at all after it moves to "Application Complete"? Just wondering if it's worth checking it at all in moments of anxiety...

Retweet.
Yes, with your decision. No UR9 or anything

Art_Vandelay_

New

Post by Art_Vandelay_ » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm

rowdy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

Retweet.
Yes, with your decision. No UR9 or anything
Ok got it. Thanks!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm

If you don't get in ED, does NU roll-over most applicants to RD or just deny? Trying to manage expectations :?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm

mistakepluskeleven wrote:If you don't get in ED, does NU roll-over most applicants to RD or just deny? Trying to manage expectations :?
If you are a likely admit/WL anyways, they'll turn you over to RD. I think that's the most common outcome.

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm

rowdy wrote:
mistakepluskeleven wrote:If you don't get in ED, does NU roll-over most applicants to RD or just deny? Trying to manage expectations :?
If you are a likely admit/WL anyways, they'll turn you over to RD. I think that's the most common outcome.
Damn. That's where an NU undergrad is gonna hurt me I guess. Should've played hard to get

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

mistakepluskeleven wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Damn. That's where an NU undergrad is gonna hurt me I guess. Should've played hard to get
Sorry, I wasn't clear. If you are not ED material, but they want to admit you or WL you, they'll hold you to RD. Most people aren't $150k material. The most common outcome is being held to RD because they want to admit you but not give you a 80% discount.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

rowdy wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. If you are not ED material, but they want to admit you or WL you, they'll hold you to RD. Most people aren't $150k material. The most common outcome is being held to RD because they want to admit you but not give you a 80% discount.
Right that's what I thought. I just meant they know I'm pretty committed and would likely attend even without the 150K, so I should've made myself seem less eager for more money lol

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

rowdy wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Right that's what I thought. I just meant they know I'm pretty committed and would likely attend even without the 150K, so I should've made myself seem less eager for more money lol
Nah, I don't think they think that way. If you've got the numbers and resume I'm sure you have a good shot!

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

The Admissions Facebook page says they are putting together the ED list starting today. Any idea when decisions will be sent? Could we see them before the 14th?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:The Admissions Facebook page says they are putting together the ED list starting today. Any idea when decisions will be sent? Could we see them before the 14th?
I don't think so. You have to expect they spend days putting together that list.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:The Admissions Facebook page says they are putting together the ED list starting today. Any idea when decisions will be sent? Could we see them before the 14th?
Ooh boy. This is getting real. (Also, did not know about that facebook page!) I'm thinking the 14th is the day. Would be nice if they sent them out in the morning.

xinaialice

New

Post by xinaialice » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 pm

OMG the game is starting!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Does anyone know the rough percentage accepted for ED? This info is harder to find than I thought.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:Does anyone know the rough percentage accepted for ED? This info is harder to find than I thought.
It's not listed anywhere, and LSN is super unreliable because a lot of "held" people remove the ED designation from their profile, and some "held" people don't remove it from their profile. Someone in last year's thread said they only take 20 people ED every year, but provided no source or supporting evidence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ruthenium44

New

Post by ruthenium44 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm

rowdy wrote:
Ron.Swanson wrote:Does anyone know the rough percentage accepted for ED? This info is harder to find than I thought.
It's not listed anywhere, and LSN is super unreliable because a lot of "held" people remove the ED designation from their profile, and some "held" people don't remove it from their profile. Someone in last year's thread said they only take 20 people ED every year, but provided no source or supporting evidence.
Do we know how many apply ED at all? It's like 4k applicants total right?

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm

ruthenium44 wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Ha, not quite, that’s about their entire applicant pool! I think I once heard an admissions person say 300-500. But I’m definitely not certain.

ruthenium44

New

Post by ruthenium44 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 am

LiveJustly390 wrote:
ruthenium44 wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Ha, not quite, that’s about their entire applicant pool! I think I once heard an admissions person say 300-500. But I’m definitely not certain.
Yeah sorry by total I meant ED and RD. Cool, thanks!

LAWSB

New

Post by LAWSB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm hoping tomorrow is the day for E.D. Two schools I anticipate being admitted to easily have informed me that they want to wait for status of my ED from NW before making their decision. Either I'll get into NW or they want me to send them the release from NW :cry: either way they will wait to hear from me...has anyone else had this problem??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”