Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

MrAdultman

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by MrAdultman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am

Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?
This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!
literally.... what the heck...
My ill-advised attempt at humor. I'm sure the admissions office would be happy to fix an error with the waiver code
FWIW, I laughed.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 am

Checking in, submitted yesterday, doing the online interview this weekend, super nervous over the format...

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Getting ready to submit. A couple questions for those who have already applied or are doing so soon:
1- how many LORs are you submitting? I have been stressing about a late recommender who still hasn't gotten hers to me, but when I looked more closely at the application they don't even mention submitting more than one. (Even though the LSAC summary page says they accept up to 4). I have one good recommendation ready; should I just submit with that one?

2- How in-depth are you going for the questions about career goals, immediately after graduation and long-term? My first drafts are pretty perfunctory (I am interested in X because Y) and a little vague for the long-term because I'm interested in several different areas. Max allowed is 500 characters and I have about 200 characters for each; do I need to elaborate more or are they just trying to make sure you've given it some degree of thought? It's not like 500 characters is a very long response so I can't imagine they're looking for much detail.

Thanks!! It's totally possible I'm over-thinking things but I don't want to mess up my chances by making some dumb mistake :?
Last edited by Olive Juice on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Anyone have advice for interviews? I'm planning to do an online - is there any sort of questions that I should be prepared for that commonly comes from NU?

audrinainlaw

New

Post by audrinainlaw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Checking in, submitted yesterday, doing the online interview this weekend, super nervous over the format...
How did it go?? Were they pretty typical questions? (i.e. why law, why NU, etc?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawcurious909

New

Post by lawcurious909 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm

I requested a fee waiver over a week ago using the link on their site and never received an email with a code (I checked my spam and junk folders etc). Should I fill one out again? Or email them? Or just cough up the $$$?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:53 am

Platopus wrote:
audrinainlaw wrote:
PostNihilist wrote:Checking in, submitted yesterday, doing the online interview this weekend, super nervous over the format...
How did it go?? Were they pretty typical questions? (i.e. why law, why NU, etc?)
I think everyone gets a random sample. I'm pretty sure that everyone gets asked "Why NU" though. Just an FYI, most questions you only get 30 secs of prep time and 1 minute to answer, and that minute goes by really quick.
Eh, I did ok, the 60 seconds went by really quick, I think all of my answers got cut off.

I can't really remember too many of my questions, but they seemed fairly typical (disclaimer: I've been in the military for 6+ years, so I'm guessing at whats typical, lol). Everyone gets "Why NU," and I got questions about greatest strength, most stressful situation, stuff like that. If you find a Reddit thread with questions from last year, take it with a grain of salt, none of my questions were even remotely close to those.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 am

rowdy wrote:
rachelac wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?
More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.
^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.
For sure. It made me really want to go even when I don't get ED. My interviewer gave me some really good reasons to attend with my goals.
Thanks guys for sharing your insights on this! I submitted over the weekend and requested to do the in-person off-campus interview. Just seems way easier to sell yourself to a person you can actually chat with, as opposed to a computer with a script and a timer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:03 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
Thanks guys for sharing your insights on this! I submitted over the weekend and requested to do the in-person off-campus interview. Just seems way easier to sell yourself to a person you can actually chat with, as opposed to a computer with a script and a timer.
I did my off-campus in-person interview and it was actually my favorite interview thus far. My interviewer was super fun and sweet. I already love NU, so maybe I went in with rose-colored glasses anyway, but it was actually a ton of fun. Is that weird?

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 pm

heyduchess wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:
I did my off-campus in-person interview and it was actually my favorite interview thus far. My interviewer was super fun and sweet. I already love NU, so maybe I went in with rose-colored glasses anyway, but it was actually a ton of fun. Is that weird?
Totally not weird! What could be more exciting than talking with an alum about this big thing coming up in your life? Especially when you're really into the school. It's such a great chance to ask questions too and get the 'real story'. I feel the same way and am looking forward to mine too.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Did anyone have trouble logging in to the Off Campus Interview site?

I've been trying to put in my name and LSAC # in every combination possible but it keeps saying my information is incorrect. I wanted to ask here before emailing them about it!

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 am

heyduchess wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:
Not weird at all! I already love NU, and it is probably my top realistic choice at the moment, but the interview only made me love it more. I was really worried about NU being tailored to people interested in big law, but my interviewer works on the DC Court of Appeals and did a bunch of judicial clerkships while at NU. She made me really excited about the prospect of attending! I would suggest an in-person off-campus interview to anyone who has the ability to do one. Great experience all around! I will be even more crushed now if NU decides to ding me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Just did my off campus alumni interview. Great experience and sold me a lot on Northwestern.

Is it commonly expected/accepted to send a follow up thank you email to the interviewer or no?

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:57 pm

hotdog96 wrote:Just did my off campus alumni interview. Great experience and sold me a lot on Northwestern.

Is it commonly expected/accepted to send a follow up thank you email to the interviewer or no?
I definitely would send one.

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
hotdog96 wrote:Just did my off campus alumni interview. Great experience and sold me a lot on Northwestern.

Would you say to do this the day after? I had mine this morning

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:03 pm

hotdog96 wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:

I always wait til the next day. That's just my personal policy, though. Unless I've thought of something that I want to say or ask as I'm walking out, I wait and let things marinate so I can say something more thoughtful!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 pm

heyduchess wrote:
hotdog96 wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:

I always wait til the next day. That's just my personal policy, though. Unless I've thought of something that I want to say or ask as I'm walking out, I wait and let things marinate so I can say something more thoughtful!
Great advice, thank you!

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm

FYI, Northwestern is now accepting GREs for this cycle...

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/n ... d=43979975

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 pm

PostNihilist wrote:FYI, Northwestern is now accepting GREs for this cycle...

Hopefully this helps them get some more high GPA candidates to offset splitters like yours truly.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm

rowdy wrote:

Hopefully this helps them get some more high GPA candidates to offset splitters like yours truly.
Didn't think of it that way, I could use the offset help too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 pm

PostNihilist wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Hopefully this help us splitters.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:30 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
PostNihilist wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Hopefully this help us splitters.

Idk how valid this is, but I really love the optimism. #splitterlove

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 pm

heyduchess wrote:Idk how valid this is, but I really love the optimism. #splitterlove
It definitely hurts reverse-splitters. Now schools don't have to take (as many) LSAT hits to improve their GPA median.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 pm

I have my off-campus alumni interview tomorrow (Saturday) at a Starbucks. Dress code thoughts? I'm female. Asked this in the general forum and got told suit (!) and/or skirt and blazer. Do you guys agree? Not trying to gun for sweatpants, just have images of the alumni in jeans and sweater and me looking ridiculous on a Saturday afternoon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”