Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

gayfish

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by gayfish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

38981928 wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
gayfish wrote:
38981928 wrote:
appind wrote:serious q. anyone have experienced the interviewer looking at their hand gestures instead of their face when you're answering a question? i was wondering if it could due to not following some interview etiquette or such, or interviewer being idiosyncratic.
Me! And the interviewer also kept talking about HYPS and I wasn't sure if it was a test lololol
I didn't get the hand gesture thing, but I was interviewed by an alum who told me that he really really loved Northwestern, but if I got into Harvard I should take it and never look back. I tried to give some noncommittal "it would be an honor to go to any of those schools" but it felt soooo awkward.
that’s so weird because I did the alum interview too and this exact thing happened to me too!
Hmmm so was it a test or did they really just want to go to HLS instead? I know some interviews they challenge you on how you respond to gauge interest and personality... my interviewer didn’t even say she loved northwestern lolol she said she went because that’s the school that would take her at the time and at least she got a good job out of it. I was talking about all the things that got me excited about northwestern and she was like meh about all of them ! I still personally like northwestern a lot and with $$$ will shoot to the top of my list (I love Chicago and used to live there) but the interview was such a downer!
I don't think he was trying to trip me up -- we had a very conversational interview, and he walked me through the rubric they were supposed to use and what kind of notes he'd likely take, so I don't think wild curveballs or trick questions are really his interview style. This came at the end, when I asked what about Northwestern kept him this involved 20 years after graduating, and what he wished he knew when he was picking law schools. So he hyped up Northwestern (and got me genuinely interested in visiting soon), but also was honest that there are just some schools that can open more doors and that if he'd had those opportunities when he was applying to schools he absolutely would've taken them, which I had a lot of respect for him saying.

Revelator 12

New

Post by Revelator 12 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:39 pm

appind wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
gayfish wrote:
38981928 wrote:
appind wrote:serious q. anyone have experienced the interviewer looking at their hand gestures instead of their face when you're answering a question? i was wondering if it could due to not following some interview etiquette or such, or interviewer being idiosyncratic.
Me! And the interviewer also kept talking about HYPS and I wasn't sure if it was a test lololol
I didn't get the hand gesture thing, but I was interviewed by an alum who told me that he really really loved Northwestern, but if I got into Harvard I should take it and never look back. I tried to give some noncommittal "it would be an honor to go to any of those schools" but it felt soooo awkward.
that’s so weird because I did the alum interview too and this exact thing happened to me too!
My interviewer alum moved his eye contact from looking directly at my face to staring at my hands as i was in the middle of answering for a few questions. i thought it was normal to have a little bit of hand gesture when one's speaking (as a lot of people do), so that constant stare right at my fingers that were at my waist height still kinda threw me off a bit. i don't know what it is but a few times it's happened, it's only when the other person is a girl.
Have you interviewed people before? They were probably just zoning out.

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Based off of last year are we expecting a wave for regular JD tomorrow?

OtisRedding24

New

Post by OtisRedding24 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 am

jimmyplayer601 wrote:Based off of last year are we expecting a wave for regular JD tomorrow?
That would be awesome...

localtrain

New

Post by localtrain » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 am

OtisRedding24 wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:Based off of last year are we expecting a wave for regular JD tomorrow?
That would be awesome...
which brave soul is going to tweet at johann to find out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HankScorpion

New

Post by HankScorpion » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

localtrain wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:
That would be awesome...
Bonus points if someone slides into his DMs.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 pm

HankScorpion wrote:
localtrain wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:
That would be awesome...
Does it count if they make a KD-esque burner account?

localtrain

New

Post by localtrain » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm

mwells56 wrote:
HankScorpion wrote:
localtrain wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:
That would be awesome...
Does it count if they make a KD-esque burner account?
alright I did it, will keep you all updated ....

ersd27106

New

Post by ersd27106 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:53 pm

localtrain wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:
That would be awesome...
he tweeted this earlier
Upcoming Office Closures:
Tuesday 12/19 Our office will be closed from 1:30 pm to 5 pm so our staff can attend the law school wide holiday gathering.
Wednesday 12/20 Our office will be closed from 12:15 pm to 2 pm for a staff meeting.
so probably thurs or fri if this week?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xinaialice

New

Post by xinaialice » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Sent a LOCI after being placed in the hold but haven't heard anything back. Does the adcomm normally reply our emails?

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:06 pm

xinaialice wrote:Sent a LOCI after being placed in the hold but haven't heard anything back. Does the adcomm normally reply our emails?
They responded to a bunch of my emails when I had trouble contacting my alum interviewer / issues in my Chinese transcript etc. They're good about replying, but if they have two days off this week they might be a little slower than usual.
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemon_lyman

New

Post by lemon_lyman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey guys,

do you know what this status means? Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee?

Does this mean that they're reviewing my application right now? I'm slightly concerned because I took the June LSAT and then retook December LSAT and am still waiting for that score. Are they going to evaluate my application without that score?

xinaialice

New

Post by xinaialice » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:38 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
xinaialice wrote:Sent a LOCI after being placed in the hold but haven't heard anything back. Does the adcomm normally reply our emails?
They responded to a bunch of my emails when I had trouble contacting my alum interviewer / issues in my Chinese transcript etc. They're good about replying, but if they have two days off this week they might be a little slower than usual.
That might be why they did not respond... Thanks! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:40 pm

xinaialice wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
That might be why they did not respond... Thanks! :D
No problem :)
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laconicllama

New

Post by laconicllama » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:45 pm

lemon_lyman wrote:Hey guys,

do you know what this status means? Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee?

Does this mean that they're reviewing my application right now? I'm slightly concerned because I took the June LSAT and then retook December LSAT and am still waiting for that score. Are they going to evaluate my application without that score?
That's what my portal says, but idk if it means they're actually reviewing my app or if it's just sitting around. Did you tell them you retook in December? If not you might want to do that.

Also, did you get CJ's approval before posting here?

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:17 am

Did anyone else do a Kira interview and feel like it was absolutely atrocious? Immune is currently saving and km like :cry: :cry: :cry: why didn’t I just skip doing an interview?!

purpleplatypus

New

Post by purpleplatypus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:56 am

Teacher wrote:Did anyone else do a Kira interview and feel like it was absolutely atrocious? Immune is currently saving and km like :cry: :cry: :cry: why didn’t I just skip doing an interview?!
I have yet to see someone say that they had a *good* Kira interview. Mine was fine at best, but I did get cut off at the end of one question and wasn’t super content with my answer to another. It’s an awkward format for an interview, and I think NU recognizes that. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, as long as you didn’t admit to being a murderer or say anything truly horrible. Half the point of doing the interview is just demonstrating your interest in the school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OtisRedding24

New

Post by OtisRedding24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 am

I'm predicting that decisions will come out at 3 PM today.

(based on no actual information, just a guess)

LSATuration

Bronze

Post by LSATuration » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 am

purpleplatypus wrote:
Teacher wrote:Did anyone else do a Kira interview and feel like it was absolutely atrocious? Immune is currently saving and km like :cry: :cry: :cry: why didn’t I just skip doing an interview?!
I have yet to see someone say that they had a *good* Kira interview. Mine was fine at best, but I did get cut off at the end of one question and wasn’t super content with my answer to another. It’s an awkward format for an interview, and I think NU recognizes that. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, as long as you didn’t admit to being a murderer or say anything truly horrible. Half the point of doing the interview is just demonstrating your interest in the school.
I'll raise my hand here. I really liked it after practicing.

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Just went DLS. RD, submitted late September, compete mid-November

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:09 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:Just went DLS. RD, submitted late September, compete mid-November
A baddie. Congrats!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:Just went DLS. RD, submitted late September, compete mid-November
Stats twin cycle continues! Do you know what the process is from here?

ChiCityLove

New

Post by ChiCityLove » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Do we think that those of us "held" from ED have any chance of hearing back soon, or are we stuck waiting until January?

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:17 pm

principalagent wrote:
A baddie. Congrats!!
:D <3
rachelac wrote:
Yay!! I have no idea, but I've been obsessively trying to access the "Decision Letter Delivery System" (https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/A ... /login.cfm)

I feel pretty good about the answer given that the option for tuition deposit just showed up in my status checker, but I don't want to be presumptuous.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:18 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:
rachelac wrote:
Yay!! I have no idea, but I've been obsessively trying to access the "Decision Letter Delivery System" (https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/A ... /login.cfm)

I feel pretty good about the answer given that the option for tuition deposit just showed up in my status checker, but I don't want to be presumptuous.
Mine just showed up and I'm in! We'll need to coordinate ASW schedules at some point :D :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”