Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

texasreznikoff

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by texasreznikoff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:14 pm

jellyjar wrote:Not sure if this was helpful, but I interviewed on campus last week. I took a tour beforehand, and it was great, but the interview totally took the wind out of my sails. I've been told I'm a decent interviewer, but boy, this was difficult. Chatted with an assistant director of admissions, and she was giving me absolutely nothing. Literally like talking to a wall. So that was definitely a downer. Just be prepared that you may not be able to work off of your interviewer.
this was my experience as well, but off-campus. i was really feelin NU but my interviewer was not at all equipped to answer my questions and was soooooo not down for small talk/any authentic conversation/smiling

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Submitted the (terrible) video interview. Really wish I had gone with the alumni interview; especially since there are two NU alums at my fed internship :|

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:24 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Submitted the (terrible) video interview. Really wish I had gone with the alumni interview; especially since there are two NU alums at my fed internship :|
I can't get the Flash to work consistently enough on my computer to do it. I tried on Friday morning, and couldn't even get the second practice question to record. I'm going to call on Monday and see if they're willing to let me try another option. I'd selected the video option because I live far enough out in the country that it sounded better than driving over an hour to get somewhere they might have alumni, but that's feeling like a big mistake.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Yeah, the vid interview was a disaster. Wouldn't work at all in Opera, and when I switched to Firefox it froze uploading the last response and I had to redo it. I feel like my answers sucked too.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Definitely sounds like people who did the alum interviews had better experiences

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jibrahim23

New

Post by jibrahim23 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Definitely sounds like people who did the alum interviews had better experiences
I mean personally I did the online interview and it went pretty smoothly. I will say that you feel pretty rushed since you have a minute to answer the question so the 30 second prep time they give you is crucial in order to do well. In my opinion I think nailing the online interview gives you a better boost than nailing an alumni interview because alumni interviews are usually pretty relaxed while with this online format you have to be pretty quick on your feet. So if you don't mind a little bit of pressure and have a fast enough internet connection to do it, I'd definitely recommend going with the online interview.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Definitely sounds like people who did the alum interviews had better experiences
I think you're right. It's not that you *can't* do well at the online, but why not take the chance to meet and impress an alum (and get your questions answered) if you can? Obv. if not possible geographically, that's one thing, but I can't imagine choosing the online over the in-person. I loved my in-person interview.

pbsdotcom

New

Post by pbsdotcom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Are many of you applying ED? I’ve been struggling with this decision for awhile and every time i think I’ve decided i get worried it’s the wrong decision. I’m slightly below their median lsat and at the 75th for gpa, so I know I won’t be seeing money like their ED scholarship anywhere else, but i was really hoping to avoid a big city for law school. I’m hoping to attend a school ranked in the 8-10 range and the employment prospects are relatively similar within these four schools, but would love to not be sinking in debt. I also know there’s a very good change I wouldn’t get it at all, but just want to be confident in my decision if I go for it.Would love any and all advice/insight!!

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:06 pm

pbsdotcom wrote:Are many of you applying ED? I’ve been struggling with this decision for awhile and every time i think I’ve decided i get worried it’s the wrong decision. I’m slightly below their median lsat and at the 75th for gpa, so I know I won’t be seeing money like their ED scholarship anywhere else, but i was really hoping to avoid a big city for law school. I’m hoping to attend a school ranked in the 8-10 range and the employment prospects are relatively similar within these four schools, but would love to not be sinking in debt. I also know there’s a very good change I wouldn’t get it at all, but just want to be confident in my decision if I go for it.Would love any and all advice/insight!!
What're your numbers and career goals?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pbsdotcom

New

Post by pbsdotcom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Anon-e-miss wrote:
pbsdotcom wrote:Are many of you applying ED? I’ve been struggling with this decision for awhile and every time i think I’ve decided i get worried it’s the wrong decision. I’m slightly below their median lsat and at the 75th for gpa, so I know I won’t be seeing money like their ED scholarship anywhere else, but i was really hoping to avoid a big city for law school. I’m hoping to attend a school ranked in the 8-10 range and the employment prospects are relatively similar within these four schools, but would love to not be sinking in debt. I also know there’s a very good change I wouldn’t get it at all, but just want to be confident in my decision if I go for it.Would love any and all advice/insight!!
167/3.9. Career goals pretty basic, big Law and maybe public interest down the line. I know NU could get me where I want to go but I do sometimes think I’d be happier in a college town. Not a City person really. But it would probably be worth it for the scholarship and to avoid debt right?

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm applying ED. I'm below their median GPA and well above the 75th for LSAT. I think that puts me in the running although not a sure thing- hard to tell since not many people with similar numbers have posted on Law School Numbers for ED.

But a big part of my decision is that I live in Chicago and strongly prefer to stay here during law school and after. I'm really enthusiastic about NU specifically and I am risk averse. Not sure it's a good idea if you're not. Have you visited the school or at least been to Chicago? It's right downtown, definitely a big city vibe. Where do you want to live/practice? (And if you don't like big cities in general, does big law make sense as a goal?)

As to whether it's your best chance for scholarship money, that's harder to gauge. If I were you I'd spend a lot of time on LSN to get a sense of what you might expect from other schools, ultimately only you can weigh how much risk and debt you're comfortable with.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

For people that did the online interview, how long did it take you to go complete?
Completed the interview over two weeks ago and I'm still "incomplete." I sent an email last week asking if there was an issue with my interview that required my attention and I haven't heard anything back....
Thanks

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Post by Anon-e-miss » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 pm

pbsdotcom wrote:
Anon-e-miss wrote:
167/3.9. Career goals pretty basic, big Law and maybe public interest down the line. I know NU could get me where I want to go but I do sometimes think I’d be happier in a college town. Not a City person really. But it would probably be worth it for the scholarship and to avoid debt right?
Yeah, I'm a 0L so I don't want to give any sort of definitive advice on this. If you think you'd be unhappy at NU then I wouldn't do it. If you think you would be fine in Chicago and are debt averse, it may be a good move. You're unlikely to get 150k or more at any T13 with your numbers. NU ED is probably a bit of a reach with your LSAT score so there's a good chance you would be deferred to RD anyways. Personally, if you're having second thoughts about applying ED, it might not be the best idea for you.

Only two people on LSN have done ED with your numbers. One got it, and one (charger21 who is a regular poster on these forums) was waitlisted and then accepted with a 90k scholly, fwiw.
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pbsdotcom

New

Post by pbsdotcom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Olive Juice wrote:
I'm applying ED. I'm below their median GPA and well above the 75th for LSAT. I think that puts me in the running although not a sure thing- hard to tell since not many people with similar numbers have posted on Law School Numbers for ED.

But a big part of my decision is that I live in Chicago and strongly prefer to stay here during law school and after. I'm really enthusiastic about NU specifically and I am risk averse. Not sure it's a good idea if you're not. Have you visited the school or at least been to Chicago? It's right downtown, definitely a big city vibe. Where do you want to live/practice? (And if you don't like big cities in general, does big law make sense as a goal?)

As to whether it's your best chance for scholarship money, that's harder to gauge. If I were you I'd spend a lot of time on LSN to get a sense of what you might expect from other schools, ultimately only you can weigh how much risk and debt you're comfortable with.
To both of you who responded, thank you so much! Sorry for being vague, trying to stay anonymous as much as possible. It’s not that i hate all big cities, but I don’t like the one I’ve been living in for awhile and was hoping for a big change. I actually just went to Chicago for a weekend and visited NU. I got a neutral vibe - the building is cool and the area seems fine. Didn’t sway me one way or the other really.

I guess ultimately I’m having trouble discerning where I’ll actually be happy. Before learning about the ED option my goal was a more rural, campus vibe, but after learning about the scholarship i started thinking about how burdensome debt can be, and how nice it would be to have some weight lifted from that. Might be worth forgoing the college campus for three years. I don’t have much basis for thinking I’d be happier one place or another - it seems like all these schools develop strong communities for people who aren’t from the area. I’m sure i would be happy anywhere, and let’s be real, I’m going to be spending more time in the library than I will enjoying the area. I know I’m putting way too much thought into something that seems unlikely anyway, i just want to make sure in the slim chance i do get in ED I’ll have no regrets and be really psyched.

jibrahim23

New

Post by jibrahim23 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm

PostNihilist wrote:For people that did the online interview, how long did it take you to go complete?
Completed the interview over two weeks ago and I'm still "incomplete." I sent an email last week asking if there was an issue with my interview that required my attention and I haven't heard anything back....
Thanks
If I remember correctly, I went complete the very next day. If I were you I would probably call the admissions office just in case.

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:35 pm

PostNihilist wrote:For people that did the online interview, how long did it take you to go complete?
Thanks
I interviewed in person around 10 days ago and mine is incomplete. I e-mailed today and they said: "We are processing many applications during this time, so I am sure it is just a delay. If there is anything missing, we will reach out as needed."

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:45 pm

ED applicant checking in. Interview will be on campus in a couple weeks. I did the online interview a few cycles ago and royally flubbed it.

Any places I should check out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rafaelbernard

New

Post by rafaelbernard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:04 am

Hey,

Does anyone know about how employment gaps look to the NU admissions committee? I have decent work experience, not like the president's intern, but like good jobs where I was promoted. I left to study for the LSATs and just do other things with my life. Young - that's really the only time you can do that. But I guess I'm a bit worried since NU is so into work experience. Thoughts? Thoughts on how to explain the 6 month employment gap?

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 pm

People who requested an off-campus interview -- I was contacted by my interviewer today and we agreed on a date and time, but when I went to the off-campus interview portal to input that info, it says that no interviewer has been assigned to me yet. Has this happened to anyone else? Confused...

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 pm

38981928 wrote:People who requested an off-campus interview -- I was contacted by my interviewer today and we agreed on a date and time, but when I went to the off-campus interview portal to input that info, it says that no interviewer has been assigned to me yet. Has this happened to anyone else? Confused...
When did you get the email that your interviewer had been assigned? I had a similar problem (I couldn't access the off-campus interview portal) but the issue went away after a couple of days. I told my interviewer about it and he said that NU sometimes "blocks" students from accessing the portal to give interviewers a little time frame in case they want to back away from the commitment. That way they can cancel before you even look at their info.

Not sure if that's what's happening here, but I would probably give it another day before emailing NU about it.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 pm

AlPastor wrote:
38981928 wrote:People who requested an off-campus interview -- I was contacted by my interviewer today and we agreed on a date and time, but when I went to the off-campus interview portal to input that info, it says that no interviewer has been assigned to me yet. Has this happened to anyone else? Confused...
When did you get the email that your interviewer had been assigned? I had a similar problem (I couldn't access the off-campus interview portal) but the issue went away after a couple of days. I told my interviewer about it and he said that NU sometimes "blocks" students from accessing the portal to give interviewers a little time frame in case they want to back away from the commitment. That way they can cancel before you even look at their info.

Not sure if that's what's happening here, but I would probably give it another day before emailing NU about it.

Wait wait wait. We're supposed to input information into the portal? Good to know....

Edit: Jk. I thought you were saying we had to put a location and you really spooked me there!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Has anyone done the on-campus interview? Mine is next week!

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:45 pm

AlPastor wrote:

Hmmm I actually haven't gotten an email saying that my interviewer was assigned! All I got was my application receipt/status checker. Maybe my interviewer was just super quick about contacting me before even confirming with Northwestern that she wanted to do it? I've only really communicated with her assistant and not her (except for the preliminary email she sent me introducing herself) so maybe they're super busy or there's a delay

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Walliums wrote:Has anyone done the on-campus interview? Mine is next week!
Yes! I interviewed with a student, it was great. I think it's also possible to have it with an admissions person. I highly recommend doing the tour and sitting in on a class too, while you're there, if the schedule works with your interview time! That gave me a great feel for the school.

The interviewer had a pretty long list of questions to draw from, and seemed to be picking and choosing based on my resume. The expected stuff (Why NU, why law) and some job-interviewy type questions ("tell me about a time you've handled conflict at work"). Nothing too out of left field, and very friendly.

jellyjar

New

Post by jellyjar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Olive Juice wrote:
Walliums wrote:Has anyone done the on-campus interview? Mine is next week!
Yes! I interviewed with a student, it was great. I think it's also possible to have it with an admissions person. I highly recommend doing the tour and sitting in on a class too, while you're there, if the schedule works with your interview time! That gave me a great feel for the school.

The interviewer had a pretty long list of questions to draw from, and seemed to be picking and choosing based on my resume. The expected stuff (Why NU, why law) and some job-interviewy type questions ("tell me about a time you've handled conflict at work"). Nothing too out of left field, and very friendly.
I also did one, and I second doing the tour (and would have done a class if I had time). I interviewed with an assistant admissions person, and it wasn't great. Very one sided, didn't feel like a conversation at all. Questions I can remember:
- Why law?
- Why NU?
- Tell me about yourself (how do you spend your time, etc.)
- Favorite and least favorite classes (I'm K-JD, so that might be for people still in undergrad)
- A time you were on a team
- A time you were on a team and it didn't go well (I thought it was odd that she made these two completely separate questions, but whatever)
- Are you organized?
- What's your biggest weakness?
- What is something you'd like the committee to know that isn't completely apparent on your application?

Hope that helps! The school is gorge, Chicago is very cool (visiting was my first time in the city), and the students seem really nice and collegial.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”