Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

scalaw

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by scalaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submit ED app to NW today, how quick is the turnaround?

If I don't get in to NW Ed, I want to apply to UCLA by Nov. 15.

Thanks!
If your stats are what you posted elsewhere on TLS, you're not going to get into NU ED. That's the unfortunate reality. NU ED is to pick up URMs with mid 3 GPAs and mid 160s LSATs and non-URMs that break both medians/could go to CCN/MVP. It's not meant to boost the chances of fringe candidates.
I have read that it does give a small boost if/when the fringe candidate gets held since it's a testament to their commitment to NW (probably speaks volumes compared to a Why NW).

Not sure how true that is, but ED to Northwestern couldn't hurt.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm checking in, even though I don't have much of a chance. The app is free, and my TLS namesake was the Northwestern valedictorian, so why not.

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 pm

To anyone else who used the NU site to solicit a waiver: I received one recently, but I'm worried that something is wrong with the waiver code itself. Without giving too much away, it seems to be mixed up with another bit of information. Does this sound correct to anyone else, or should I reach out about a problem with my waiver code?

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

How do I request an application fee waiver?
As an incentive for prospective applicants to apply early (between September 1 to December 1), we offer application fee waivers to any prospective JD applicant who simply fills out our registration form. This form can be found on our Apply page. A fee waiver code will be generated and emailed within 2-3 business days.

If you receive a fee waiver, be sure to apply by the expiration date listed on notice. Once a fee waiver code has expired, it will not be reissued.

https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... eWaiverReq
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote:To anyone else who used the NU site to solicit a waiver: I received one recently, but I'm worried that something is wrong with the waiver code itself. Without giving too much away, it seems to be mixed up with another bit of information. Does this sound correct to anyone else, or should I reach out about a problem with my waiver code?
Yep, same problem! I'm emailing them. You have any luck?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

Splitter with cool work experience, so let's see how this shakes out!

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Thanks!
If your stats are what you posted elsewhere on TLS, you're not going to get into NU ED. That's the unfortunate reality. NU ED is to pick up URMs with mid 3 GPAs and mid 160s LSATs and non-URMs that break both medians/could go to CCN/MVP. It's not meant to boost the chances of fringe candidates.
Not questioning the validity of this statement just pure curiosity, how do you know this?

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 am

heyduchess wrote:Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

You got this 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

stjeff00 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

Thanks!
Not questioning the validity of this statement just pure curiosity, how do you know this?
1) It logically wouldn't make sense to give away $150k in scholarships to fringe candidates, when you could be throwing that at high GPA/LSAT kids that could otherwise go to CCN

2) If you look over the years of NU ED applicants on LSN, you can see a pretty clear GPA/LSAT floor for ED. Had this data when I applied last year, but I have no clue where I saved it. You can go check yourself though! It doesn't take that long too figure it out.

law-schooler

New

Post by law-schooler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 am

Kind of last minute question: does anyone know how the ED form is supposed to be submitted? I intend to request an off-campus interview, so the deadline to apply is today (Oct. 15), but I have only now noticed that there isn't a section on the application for us to submit a signed copy of the form... It only says that we should "complete this form, sign it, and return it to the Office of Admissions by December 1st", but does not specify how. Are we supposed to have it snail mailed (even if applying online), emailed or maybe uploaded as an addendum?

xinaialice

New

Post by xinaialice » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59 pm

law-schooler wrote:Kind of last minute question: does anyone know how the ED form is supposed to be submitted? I intend to request an off-campus interview, so the deadline to apply is today (Oct. 15), but I have only now noticed that there isn't a section on the application for us to submit a signed copy of the form... It only says that we should "complete this form, sign it, and return it to the Office of Admissions by December 1st", but does not specify how. Are we supposed to have it snail mailed (even if applying online), emailed or maybe uploaded as an addendum?
Just email them (admissions@law.northwestern.edu)... I emailed them last month..and you will then get an email from them saying they received your certification, and the application checklist would check the "optional-Early Decision Certification."
Last edited by xinaialice on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
I applied for and received a fee waiver coder but for some reason its not working. The code was in the format of a date, and whatever way I try LSAC won't accept it. Any advice? Anyone else have a problem?
This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!
literally.... what the heck...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Walliums wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Submitted!

Whoooohoooo!

You got this 8)
Thanks, love! <3

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

Application sent, no error with my waiver code.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
Platopus wrote:
pezberri wrote:
This is actually a well-known riddle at Northwestern, only the best and brightest are able to solve and waive the fee. Best of luck!
literally.... what the heck...
My ill-advised attempt at humor. I'm sure the admissions office would be happy to fix an error with the waiver code
lol okay no worries.... i emailed them and had no reply so i was on edge enough for a small part of me to wonder if this was true

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jellyjar

New

Post by jellyjar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Checking in! Interviewing/visiting at the end of the month--it'll be my first time in Chicago, so I'd love tips on where to go eat, drink, etc. if anyone is familiar with the area!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Interview complete. Now we wait.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm

Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?
More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Those of you who did in-person alum interviews: any curveballs I should expect?
More like Calvinball. I got no discernable scripted questions. Everything was what my interviewer felt like asking. I got some questions out of left field but they were questions that randomly crossed my interviewer's mind, not questions from the admissions office.
^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm

rowdy wrote:
I feel like I'd totally do this as an alum. Like: Why law? Why NU? Do you think Crayola should be allowed to trademark different names of colors? What are your career goals? What's your spirit animal?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

rachelac wrote:
rowdy wrote:
^^same. I honestly loved it though, it made me way more interested in the school. Very conversational and ran for almost an hour.
For sure. It made me really want to go even when I don't get ED. My interviewer gave me some really good reasons to attend with my goals.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

rowdy wrote:
rachelac wrote:
rowdy wrote:
For sure. It made me really want to go even when I don't get ED. My interviewer gave me some really good reasons to attend with my goals.
That's awesome. It's always good to hear that interviews are just as much schools selling you. It's difficult to get that kind of inside perspective otherwise.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”