Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

Ron.Swanson

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 pm

LAWSB wrote:I'm hoping tomorrow is the day for E.D. Two schools I anticipate being admitted to easily have informed me that they want to wait for status of my ED from NW before making their decision. Either I'll get into NW or they want me to send them the release from NW :cry: either way they will wait to hear from me...has anyone else had this problem??
Definitely not an issue I've had. I have heard only radio silence from my T14s. Are the schools that are waiting on NW also T14s?

And I also hope we find out tomorrow. Traditionally, decisions go out in the morning. They really seem to like releasing them before lunch.

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

LAWSB wrote:I'm hoping tomorrow is the day for E.D. Two schools I anticipate being admitted to easily have informed me that they want to wait for status of my ED from NW before making their decision. Either I'll get into NW or they want me to send them the release from NW :cry: either way they will wait to hear from me...has anyone else had this problem??
Wow, how did they know you applied ED to Northwestern?

SufferFromED

New

Post by SufferFromED » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 pm

None have told me that specifically. But I have decent numbers and submitted at the end of October. Not that I expected to knock everything out of the park, but this would explain the radio silence if it’s true.

LAWSB

New

Post by LAWSB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
Definitely not an issue I've had. I have heard only radio silence from my T14s. Are the schools that are waiting on NW also T14s?

And I also hope we find out tomorrow. Traditionally, decisions go out in the morning. They really seem to like releasing them before lunch.
Nooooo, they're not even T25 schools! They are tier 1, but are also safety schools I was sure I'd be going to practically free based off percentiles :( here's to hoping for tomorrow. Thanks and good luck.

LAWSB

New

Post by LAWSB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:45 pm

SufferFromED wrote:
None have told me that specifically. But I have decent numbers and submitted at the end of October. Not that I expected to knock everything out of the park, but this would explain the radio silence if it’s true.
Same, I finished all my applications at the end of September, and these are my shoe-in schools based off my grades, lsat, and softs... one other person I talked to said they were told the same thing and ultimately got into one of the schools , I just hadn't run into this prior to this week as most schools are accepting me without me needing to confirm anything pertaining to ED. Hope this doesn't become a trend or NW puts me out of my misery as I'm still waiting for twelve decisions :x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWSB

New

Post by LAWSB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Olive Juice wrote:
I feel like it was a setup lol, one school outright ask on their application, the other I volunteered the info trying to be transparent and all when asked why I didn't ED with them so I could get my decision asap since my numbers made me a shoe-in. :cry: , this was at an open house during a one-on-one convo I had with the dean btw.

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm

LAWSB wrote:
Olive Juice wrote:
I feel like it was a setup lol, one school outright ask on their application, the other I volunteered the info trying to be transparent and all when asked why I didn't ED with them so I could get my decision asap since my numbers made me a shoe-in. :cry: , this was at an open house during a one-on-one convo I had with the dean btw.
Oh, snap. Well, hopefully you will just get NU ED tomorrow and then you won't have to worry about the others! and if you don't, it sounds like you'll be pretty much immediately accepted to those schools, so it should cause only a slight delay.

I've been unreasonably paranoid that schools would somehow know I applied ED to NU,, although I've gotten a couple nice acceptances. I even removed the ED from my Law school numbers profile in case they found me on there (I doubt many applicants have my exact numbers), but I'm sure they have better things to do than comb these forums and try to match up applicants to usernames, lol! I'll put the Ed back on LSN once I have an answer.

Zero Hedge

New

Post by Zero Hedge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

LAWSB wrote:
Olive Juice wrote:
IMO that's bs for a school to put you in a place to feel guilty about not ED'ing them.

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Do ED decisions roll out all at once in the morning? or are they staggered throughout the day?

Trying to avoid refreshing my status checker 100+ times tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:47 pm

ATXStudent wrote:Do ED decisions roll out all at once in the morning? or are they staggered throughout the day?

People who got in last year all got in between noon and three Chicago time (CST). Those who were held did not hear back until the following day.

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm

rowdy wrote:
ATXStudent wrote:Do ED decisions roll out all at once in the morning? or are they staggered throughout the day?

People who got in last year all got in between noon and three Chicago time (CST). Those who were held did not hear back until the following day.
Do they call you, or does your status checker just say "admitted"?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm

ghostlyyy wrote:
rowdy wrote:

Do they call you, or does your status checker just say "admitted"?
AFAIK the status checker / e-mail tells you your decision letter is ready and then you log in to their decision letter delivery system, which is accessible from their web site.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 pm

checking in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Here's some casual analysis from Law School Numbers and NU's ABA 509 form. (Their most recent 509 is from 2016, which I believe corresponds to the 2015-2016 application cycle- someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

According to their 509, 227/666 total students have between 1/2 and full tuition. That works out to approximately 75 students/class.

On Law School Numbers for that cycle, the reported scholarships between 1/2 and full tuition were as follows:
19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k
17 people got 150k (10 of these appear to be through ED)

That makes 42 people, leaving about 33 1/2 to full tuition scholarships unaccounted for. If those were ALL ED (unlikely) we'd be looking at about 43 ED acceptances. I'd make a rough guess that the 20-30 range is about right. Of course that could vary drastically from year to year, there's no reason to think they have a set # of people they accept ED. I would love to know how many apps they get for ED and what that pool looks like, compared to their main applicant pool.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... Report.pdf

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Olive Juice wrote:Here's some casual analysis from Law School Numbers and NU's ABA 509 form. (Their most recent 509 is from 2016, which I believe corresponds to the 2015-2016 application cycle- someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

According to their 509, 227/666 total students have between 1/2 and full tuition. That works out to approximately 75 students/class.

On Law School Numbers for that cycle, the reported scholarships between 1/2 and full tuition were as follows:
19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k

That makes 42 people, leaving about 33 1/2 to full tuition scholarships unaccounted for. If those were ALL ED (unlikely) we'd be looking at about 43 ED acceptances. I'd make a rough guess that the 20-30 range is about right. Of course that could vary drastically from year to year, there's no reason to think they have a set # of people they accept ED. I would love to know how many apps they get for ED and what that pool looks like, compared to their main applicant pool.

This is slightly depressing. I feel a bit foolish for thinking 50+ people would get in ED LOL.

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
Olive Juice wrote:Here's some casual analysis from Law School Numbers and NU's ABA 509 form. (Their most recent 509 is from 2016, which I believe corresponds to the 2015-2016 application cycle- someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k

This is slightly depressing. I feel a bit foolish for thinking 50+ people would get in ED LOL.
Aw, sorry to depress you. I honestly had no idea what a ballpark number would even be before I looked at this. The upside is that a lot of people seem to get accepted through RD who were held from ED (anecdotally anyway). I'm trying to re-calibrate my expectation to being held but it's hard!

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Olive Juice wrote:
Ron.Swanson wrote:

19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k

Aw, sorry to depress you. I honestly had no idea what a ballpark number would even be before I looked at this. The upside is that a lot of people seem to get accepted through RD who were held from ED (anecdotally anyway). I'm trying to re-calibrate my expectation to being held but it's hard!
It's fine...I haven't been accepted (or heard) from anywhere yet so I was getting worried. But anything can happen and it's early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 pm

19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k

I'm sure they don't have a set number. There is no reason that they wouldn't accept as many qualified people as applied, especially if they are the types of candidates they would throw money at during RD anyway.

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm

ghostlyyy wrote:

19 people got 90k
3 people got 105k
2 people got 120k
1 person got 135k

I'm sure they don't have a set number. There is no reason that they wouldn't accept as many qualified people as applied, especially if they are the types of candidates they would throw money at during RD anyway.
Agreed.

WindyCity22

New

Post by WindyCity22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 pm

my status checker says: "Current Status: Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs" and I have a a tuition deposit due 1/9/18!!!!!!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

WindyCity22 wrote:my status checker says: "Current Status: Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs" and I have a a tuition deposit due 1/9/18!!!!!!
Same, no tuition deposit due. I've been held folks

Congrats WindyCity!
Last edited by rowdy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm

If you're ED, they just released decisions (acceptances and holds).
Go here: https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/status/
Scroll Down
Click "Decision Letter Delivery System"

Best of luck!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 pm

WindyCity22 wrote:my status checker says: "Current Status: Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs" and I have a a tuition deposit due 1/9/18!!!!!!
Congratulations!

Olive Juice

New

Post by Olive Juice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm

I got in. I literally can't believe it. Having decisions early was the hugest surprise. Congrats to everyone else who was accepted and to those who were held, hope you get in RD and good luck with your cycles.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Olive Juice wrote:I got in. I literally can't believe it. Having decisions early was the hugest surprise. Congrats to everyone else who was accepted and to those who were held, hope you get in RD and good luck with your cycles.
Congrats, well done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”