Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Are you migrating over to the new OP on top-law-schools.com?

Yes
43%
Yes, definitely
57%

Total votes: 46

curvybanana63

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by curvybanana63 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:Any ED-held applicants still stuck under the 12/13/2017 "Decision letter available within 24 hours" message?

Any ED-held students get admitted this week & did your status checker change beforehand?
Still stuck in the “DL available 12/13/2017” hellscape.
+1, and what a hellscape it is.
UGH :( We need some strong drinks.
Oh my gosh guys. According to this reddit thread THEY KNOW HOW MANY TIMES A DAY WE CHECK THE STATUS CHECKER. Idk whether to laugh or be embarrassed :lol: :lol:
I'm actually getting kinda annoyed... they should give us some indication that they're rereviewing us or something. They said in the letter that they would start on january 10

ChiCityLove

New

Post by ChiCityLove » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

curvybanana63 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:Any ED-held applicants still stuck under the 12/13/2017 "Decision letter available within 24 hours" message?

Any ED-held students get admitted this week & did your status checker change beforehand?
Oh my gosh guys. According to this reddit thread THEY KNOW HOW MANY TIMES A DAY WE CHECK THE STATUS CHECKER. Idk whether to laugh or be embarrassed :lol: :lol:
I'm actually getting kinda annoyed... they should give us some indication that they're rereviewing us or something. They said in the letter that they would start on january 10
If I'm not mistaken, Jan 10th was just the date we had to fill out the "I'm still interested" form, and that we should hear back by the end of January. So....let's hope for EARLY next week!

abg591

New

Post by abg591 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 pm

curvybanana63 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:

I agree! It's been over a month, at least re-set the status to "complete - under review" again. It's common human decency to keep us from losing our minds :cry: :cry: :cry:

curvybanana63

New

Post by curvybanana63 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 pm

ChiCityLove wrote:
curvybanana63 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
abg591 wrote:
ChiCityLove wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Jan 10th was just the date we had to fill out the "I'm still interested" form, and that we should hear back by the end of January. So....let's hope for EARLY next week!
Yeah you're right. I realized I was actually thinking about this, which says that we will get rereviewed after the hold deadline, but its old so who knows if its still true for this year. If it is true it also says we should hear back by the end of January, so maybe our status will never change to Under Review and just skip straight to a new DLS.

https://admissionsblog.law.northwestern ... sion-hold/

shoshiesha

New

Post by shoshiesha » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Is application complete/under review any different from each other? My app went complete one day, and then the next day it was "under review". Does anyone know if that actually means under review? Like my application is actually being read somewhere? Skeptical because of such a quick turnaround.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mma038

New

Post by Mma038 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm

shoshiesha wrote:Is application complete/under review any different from each other? My app went complete one day, and then the next day it was "under review". Does anyone know if that actually means under review? Like my application is actually being read somewhere? Skeptical because of such a quick turnaround.
Wait, your status says “under review” or are you referring to the status above the bio? I was under the assumption that NU’s status stays on complete until a decision.

shoshiesha

New

Post by shoshiesha » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 pm

It went from just saying "complete" to saying "Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee" near the top of the page like the day after. What's this about? I'm skeptical that this means anything because it went to "under review" the day after I submitted it.

sharris2017

New

Post by sharris2017 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 pm

shoshiesha wrote:Is application complete/under review any different from each other? My app went complete one day, and then the next day it was "under review". Does anyone know if that actually means under review? Like my application is actually being read somewhere? Skeptical because of such a quick turnaround.
Did you interview?

shoshiesha

New

Post by shoshiesha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 am

sharris2017 wrote:
Did you interview?
Yeah, I submitted the same day I interviewed. (Last week). It went complete the day after I interviewed, and the next day it said "your app is under review". Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:06 am

shoshiesha wrote:
sharris2017 wrote:
Did you interview?
Yeah, I submitted the same day I interviewed. (Last week). It went complete the day after I interviewed, and the next day it said "your app is under review". Thoughts?
It doesn't mean anything. All it means is that they've received both your application and your interviewers review of you. That's it.

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Anybody else have a terrible impression of NW from their correspondence with admissions? They were super cold at the LSAC forum and all of my emails to them have been met with cold and impersonal responses. Even when planning a campus visit to sit in on a class and meet with career services, they respond with short, avoidance emails like they are too busy to be bothered.

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Eleven wrote:Anybody else have a terrible impression of NW from their correspondence with admissions? They were super cold at the LSAC forum and all of my emails to them have been met with cold and impersonal responses. Even when planning a campus visit to sit in on a class and meet with career services, they respond with short, avoidance emails like they are too busy to be bothered.
Yeah, I emailed them earlier in the cycle with some questions about ED and was given a response by one person that seemed very snarky (something along the lines of "as you could have seen on the website") and then a different person emailed me CORRECTING the original person. I was not pleased because the first person made me feel dumb, idk

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 pm

jjdude14 wrote:
Eleven wrote:Anybody else have a terrible impression of NW from their correspondence with admissions? They were super cold at the LSAC forum and all of my emails to them have been met with cold and impersonal responses. Even when planning a campus visit to sit in on a class and meet with career services, they respond with short, avoidance emails like they are too busy to be bothered.
Yeah, I emailed them earlier in the cycle with some questions about ED and was given a response by one person that seemed very snarky (something along the lines of "as you could have seen on the website") and then a different person emailed me CORRECTING the original person. I was not pleased because the first person made me feel dumb, idk
They're busy people and have a lot to do. I think it's not horrible that they aren't giving you the hard sell every time they make contact. They're perfectly businesslike in my experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

This applies to all schools, but do your best to distance your impression of a school from your impression of the admissions office. Once you start law school, you’ll probably never interact with someone in the admissions office again unless it’s to help conduct ASW or interviews.

I had similar misgivings about the NU admissions office but absolutely loved attending the law school.

wolfdog

New

Post by wolfdog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:34 pm

rowdy wrote:
jjdude14 wrote:
They're busy people and have a lot to do. I think it's not horrible that they aren't giving you the hard sell every time they make contact. They're perfectly businesslike in my experience.
All schools are busy, not just Northwestern. Northwestern is, however, the only school that stands out negatively as a result of my interactions with their admissions office.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm

wolfdog wrote:
rowdy wrote:
jjdude14 wrote:
All schools are busy, not just Northwestern. Northwestern is, however, the only school that stands out negatively as a result of my interactions with their admissions office.
I mean, okay? I guess don't go to Northwestern?

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 pm

rowdy wrote:
wolfdog wrote:
rowdy wrote:
jjdude14 wrote:
I mean, okay? I guess don't go to Northwestern?
I mean, nobody is making any decisions based off of this, it's just an unpleasant experience shared amongst applicants (basically 72% of the reason this forum exists). As somebody who works in an admissions office, my interaction with them was offputting. It's not that hard to be cordial, and especially not that hard to provide correct information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abg591

New

Post by abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Anyone happen to know the average need-based award from NU? I know they combine their need and merit awards, but I’m just curious about a ball park range for the average applicant.

NUDad

New

Post by NUDad » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

abg591 wrote:Anyone happen to know the average need-based award from NU? I know they combine their need and merit awards, but I’m just curious about a ball park range for the average applicant.
Per Northwestern's 509 for 2017 (http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/):

75th percentile grant amount $50,000 per yr
50th percentile grant amount $30,000 per yr
25th percentile grant amount $20,000 per yr

47% receive half tuition or more in grants and scholarships.
22% receive zero.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 am

NUDad wrote:
abg591 wrote:Anyone happen to know the average need-based award from NU? I know they combine their need and merit awards, but I’m just curious about a ball park range for the average applicant.
Per Northwestern's 509 for 2017 (http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/):

75th percentile grant amount $50,000 per yr
50th percentile grant amount $30,000 per yr
25th percentile grant amount $20,000 per yr

47% receive half tuition or more in grants and scholarships.
22% receive zero.
abg591 was just asking about the need-based portion, not the total from the 509.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am

If it's like their direct peers at all, it probably just accounts for a few thousand on top unless you and your family are significantly lacking in resources - then I imagine they help a bit more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fitzwallace

New

Post by Fitzwallace » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Commencing another day of wishing for Johann to give the people what we want

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:29 pm

IN!! Interviewed end of November. Lesgo!
Last edited by bosshawg on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gayfish

New

Post by gayfish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm

RD, in via email! Complete mid-December, 25 GPA 50, LSAT >> 75, non-URM, no info on scholarships.

sharris2017

New

Post by sharris2017 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm

In.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”