Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

When are you planning to apply?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

September 15, 00.01 AM
10%
September
17%
October
60%
November
7%
December
3%
January
3%
February
No votes
March or after
No votes
Wait... You have to apply to get in?
No votes
I was planning to apply around Nov-Dec, when my app will be perfect, but I will actually apply as soon as the first one here will post his admission, with an incomplete application, rushing the personal statement and forgetting the addenda I prepared carefully in advance.
No votes

Total votes: 30

wannabegenius

Bronze

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Post by wannabegenius » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 pm

usaorbust wrote:
wannabegenius wrote:Guys, could someone tell me whether waitlist and hold are the same thing here? The email I got said they are putting my application on hold and will reevaluate it after they have a better sense of the application pool. So I assumed this is a waitlist because I didn't apply ED, but others are telling me it's a hold. I'm assuming it's the same thing and that there is no meaningful difference, but correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Edit: Just googled the difference. It looks like there is a hold list and a waitlist and the hold list is basically a waitlist for people who applied early, not necessarily ED. Is this the general consensus?
I think its better than a waitlist? If they are holding their decision they are basically waiting to see what the applicant profile will look like before making a decision on your application. Meaning you will probably get another update from hem much sooner than a waitlist applicant. Or at least thats my understanding of the hold distinction.
Ah, thank you! I'll take this. The letter said a decision will be made by 2/28 so I guess they're just going to evaluate me along with the December test takers

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

I did a group interview about two weeks ago, and it made me not want to go to Georgetown at all. The students I interviewed with were mad pretentious, and one of the students spent about 15 minutes talking about how much his parents spent on his LSAT course. Honestly just seemed like a bunch of pretentious 21 year olds. Perhaps I'm old fashion...but talking about money??? That's not yours??? At an interview???

Even the answers they gave during the group interview had my head spinning. One applicants tried to justify plagiarism during the interview, and the Dean seemed to like their response lol. Also chatted with current students and yea, not for me. Definitely withdrawing.

Oddly enough, interviewed at Columbia as well, and sat in on a class there... maybe I just like the campus more, but the environment, and students all seemed so much healthier (?). Weird, since Columbia is a better school. But yea, Georgetown is a definite no for me. Good luck you guys! Posting because I'm sure there were other people who felt the same way at their group interview.

wannabegenius

Bronze

Post by wannabegenius » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:28 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:I did a group interview about two weeks ago, and it made me not want to go to Georgetown at all. The students I interviewed with were mad pretentious, and one of the students spent about 15 minutes talking about how much his parents spent on his LSAT course. Honestly just seemed like a bunch of pretentious 21 year olds. Perhaps I'm old fashion...but talking about money??? That's not yours??? At an interview???

Even the answers they gave during the group interview had my head spinning. One applicants tried to justify plagiarism during the interview, and the Dean seemed to like their response lol. Also chatted with current students and yea, not for me. Definitely withdrawing.

Oddly enough, interviewed at Columbia as well, and sat in on a class there... maybe I just like the campus more, but the environment, and students all seemed so much healthier (?). Weird, since Columbia is a better school. But yea, Georgetown is a definite no for me. Good luck you guys! Posting because I'm sure there were other people who felt the same way at their group interview.
I'm sorry you had this experience and I would be turned off by your group as well. I have to say though, my group was absolutely lovely. No one talked about money or the LSAT, and everyone was humble and respectful. I guess it definitely depends on your group, but the group interview made me excited about Georgetown. I'm saying this as an applicant who just got held. I have no bitter feelings.

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:37 pm

wannabegenius wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:I did a group interview about two weeks ago, and it made me not want to go to Georgetown at all. The students I interviewed with were mad pretentious, and one of the students spent about 15 minutes talking about how much his parents spent on his LSAT course. Honestly just seemed like a bunch of pretentious 21 year olds. Perhaps I'm old fashion...but talking about money??? That's not yours??? At an interview???

I'm sorry you had this experience and I would be turned off by your group as well. I have to say though, my group was absolutely lovely. No one talked about money or the LSAT, and everyone was humble and respectful. I guess it definitely depends on your group, but the group interview made me excited about Georgetown. I'm saying this as an applicant who just got held. I have no bitter feelings.

I'm so jealous! I really wanted to love it. Had I met one person on that campus that seemed somewhat down to earth, I would probably think differently. I also really want to live in D.C, but seeing as that's the only school I would have gone to, it doesn't seem like it'll happen. Good luck to you though! Really hope you get in, if it's your top choice ! :)

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 am

Recent gtown grad. FWIW, my experience attending was not at all like your interview. I hate pretentious bullshit, it would turn me off too. Experienced none of that. Most people were down to earth and pretty chill. Some weirdos, but you'll find that anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 am

Also sorry for your experience. I had my group interview last week with Georgetown and everyone was pretty down to earth, I really enjoyed it. I think you're going to run into pretentious people at any of the T14, it's just unfortunate that it had to be at your interview. Also perhaps Dean Cornblatt liked the response about plagiarism, because it was different from other ones he has heard.

split_777

New

Post by split_777 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 am

Sorry you felt this way. My experience was the opposite. I wanted to invite my group out for coffee or drinks afterwards, but I had to get home. The experience made me more excited about Georgetown. We should both probably temper our expectations about their student body--I'm sure there are all kinds of people there.

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:50 am

br1112 wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:Nightmare alumni interview today. I ended it after about 10 minutes because I couldn't take anymore of the interviewer's condescension. Really strange experience. Almost certainly not getting in.
Really sorry to hear that. Would you mind giving details? I’m horrified / fascinated that an interviewer would behave in such a way.

Though I’m sure you’re drowning in options, I’d suggest that if GT interests you to email the admissions office (without making too much of a fuss).

had a similar experience. I reached out to admissions and it worked out in my favor.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 am

split_777 wrote:

Sorry you felt this way. My experience was the opposite. I wanted to invite my group out for coffee or drinks afterwards, but I had to get home. The experience made me more excited about Georgetown. We should both probably temper our expectations about their student body--I'm sure there are all kinds of people there.
+1 (or 2 or 3 or however many others had great group interview experiences). My group was AMAZING - all people who were out of school, working, doing different things. Everyone had a great attitude and played along well.

If you don't want to go to GULC, no worries (hey, there's like 10000 people who do) but I think it is shortsighted to write off the program based on one experience with candidates who likely won't even get in. Georgetown actually privileges the non-21 non-"daddy's money bought me LSAT prep" candidate more than almost any other school and has a pretty high average age. They like mature students. Just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:07 am

Anyone going to the NYC group interview tomorrow?!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:19 pm

I have my interview today!!!!

Any good questions to ask?

clemsonbill

New

Post by clemsonbill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:I have my interview today!!!!

Any good questions to ask?
I like to ask how they feel attending X school helped them get to where they are today. That typically opens up a conversation about clinics and opportunities at the school that you can show interest in.

jibrahim23

New

Post by jibrahim23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Is it weird that I've been complete since 10/16 and have not heard anything? No interview invite, not placed on hold, nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ebrook93

New

Post by ebrook93 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:27 pm

jibrahim23 wrote:Is it weird that I've been complete since 10/16 and have not heard anything? No interview invite, not placed on hold, nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?
Same boat. I'm taking the radio silence as a (relatively) good thing since they've already rejected and wait listed lots of people. My numbers are right on the border for them.

wombythewombat

New

Post by wombythewombat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Bit late with my posting but I got my acceptance letter on Friday 12/1! Georgetown was a definite reach for me (169/2.96) and also happens to be my top choice (grew up in Arlington, VA), so I was somewhat overwhelmed. Timeline, in case it's helpful to anyone: I applied the day after apps opened, was invited to a group interview I couldn't attend around the end of October, had an alumni interview 11/8, and I don't remember exactly when the letter was dated but I believe it was in the 11/20 to 11/22 range.

Congrats to everyone else who's in and I hope those who are waiting to hear will get good news soon!

gmenold

New

Post by gmenold » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

wombythewombat wrote:Bit late with my posting but I got my acceptance letter on Friday 12/1! Georgetown was a definite reach for me (169/2.96) and also happens to be my top choice (grew up in Arlington, VA), so I was somewhat overwhelmed. Timeline, in case it's helpful to anyone: I applied the day after apps opened, was invited to a group interview I couldn't attend around the end of October, had an alumni interview 11/8, and I don't remember exactly when the letter was dated but I believe it was in the 11/20 to 11/22 range.

Congrats to everyone else who's in and I hope those who are waiting to hear will get good news soon!
Congrats! That's awesome, I have similar stats and a similar timeline (sub group interview for your alum one). I'm so anxious to hear back and you gave me some fresh hope!

ghostlyyy

New

Post by ghostlyyy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Did anyone who was accepted receive an email or any information about an accepted students site?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vishniac

New

Post by vishniac » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

TheKingLives wrote:Is the application status check updated to reflect the date a decision is made or is it not updated at all after the application goes complete?

It just stays at application complete.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLeHood13

New

Post by RobinLeHood13 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Anyone else apply the end of September, interview in October, and still heard nothing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlawlawzz

New

Post by lawlawlawzz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm

ebrook93 wrote:
jibrahim23 wrote:Is it weird that I've been complete since 10/16 and have not heard anything? No interview invite, not placed on hold, nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?
Same boat. I'm taking the radio silence as a (relatively) good thing since they've already rejected and wait listed lots of people. My numbers are right on the border for them.
Same boat.

phillyboy23

New

Post by phillyboy23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Got invited to a DC group interview today. Looking forward to it, but hoping I can reschedule my last final of the semester to attend. If I cannot, does anyone know if Georgetown would offer an alternative date for interview?

tswaff18

New

Post by tswaff18 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 am

Acceptance letter received today w/ note from Dean Cornblatt. Went complete early Nov., letter dated 11/27. Applied ED b/c reverse-splitter and was sure abt GULC. No interview as I'm living in tropical Dublin.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting and look forward to connecting with some folks!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am

Um, can anyone that applied ED help me out with something.

One of their admissions officers said if you knew they were your #1 and you didn't care how you would pay for it via own/family money or student loans, it was the way for you.

But their website said don't apply ED if you need institutional aid which the person answering the phone clarified to include student loans which sounds weird... Literally not sure if I can ED or not, they're my #1 choice because I'm applying to the PT program.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”