Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

When are you planning to apply?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

September 15, 00.01 AM
10%
September
17%
October
60%
November
7%
December
3%
January
3%
February
No votes
March or after
No votes
Wait... You have to apply to get in?
No votes
I was planning to apply around Nov-Dec, when my app will be perfect, but I will actually apply as soon as the first one here will post his admission, with an incomplete application, rushing the personal statement and forgetting the addenda I prepared carefully in advance.
No votes

Total votes: 30

gab

New

Re: Georgetown University Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/2018)

Post by gab » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

What do you guys think about the fact hat I've essentially had radio silence? Complete in October, had a request for a group interview that I couldn't go to because of a test and I've heard nothing since then

ebrook93

New

Post by ebrook93 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 pm

gab wrote:What do you guys think about the fact hat I've essentially had radio silence? Complete in October, had a request for a group interview that I couldn't go to because of a test and I've heard nothing since then
I went complete 10/10 and have had total radio silence. Not even an interview request. If they aren't going to interview me, and they aren't going to reject or defer me (which they've already started doing), then what is going on?! I feel like I'm in limbo, so I feel your pain.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Alomeng wrote:Did alumni interview 11/14. Thought I did good. Got an email today saying that they’re postponing their decision on me and “once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again.” :?

So is it like WL? Anyone on the same boat?
It's neither a ding nor a WL, that's what it is!

I think it's because Dean Cornblatt tells interviewees that they'll hear back in 2-3 weeks. Hold emails seem like it's him getting back to you in 2-3 weeks to let you know that he likes you, but needs more time.

I imagine it's like when you stumble across somebody on Tinder/Bumble and you're like "Do I like them enough to swipe right? I dunno!" and then close out the app so you don't have to decide just yet but can continue swiping on other people.

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm

CT6 wrote:First decision back -- dinged via email. Not too pressed about it...just means I'm that much closer to the right school. Good luck to those still waiting!
Really sorry to hear that, buddy! When'd you go complete? I'm expecting a ding as well.

scalaw

New

Post by scalaw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Rejected with a 3.3x, 170. Got into UVA and Michigan so I'm not too sad. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:48 pm

scalaw wrote:Rejected with a 3.3x, 170. Got into UVA and Michigan so I'm not too sad. :roll:
CONGRATS! That's a lot to be excited about.

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:06 pm

10/10
Ron.Swanson wrote:
CT6 wrote:First decision back -- dinged via email. Not too pressed about it...just means I'm that much closer to the right school. Good luck to those still waiting!
Really sorry to hear that, buddy! When'd you go complete? I'm expecting a ding as well.

scalaw

New

Post by scalaw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
scalaw wrote:Rejected with a 3.3x, 170. Got into UVA and Michigan so I'm not too sad. :roll:
CONGRATS! That's a lot to be excited about.

Thank you! Kinda sad I can't go to school with Tiffany though :lol:

Good luck to everyone else

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aheimz

New

Post by aheimz » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm

gab wrote:What do you guys think about the fact hat I've essentially had radio silence? Complete in October, had a request for a group interview that I couldn't go to because of a test and I've heard nothing since then
In a similar boat! I did have an interview 11/7 though. Hoping something comes soon for us! Because I’m going insane!!!!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:09 pm

TheKingLives wrote:Is it normal for the status check to say "Application Completed" without a date or any mailings?
No idea if it's normal, but that's exactly what mine says as well

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:20 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:
TheKingLives wrote:Is it normal for the status check to say "Application Completed" without a date or any mailings?
No idea if it's normal, but that's exactly what mine says as well
Yep once it's complete it will always stay at that

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:42 am

heyduchess wrote:
Alomeng wrote:Did alumni interview 11/14. Thought I did good. Got an email today saying that they’re postponing their decision on me and “once we have a better sense of the entire applicant pool, the Committee on Admissions will review your application again.” :?

So is it like WL? Anyone on the same boat?
It's neither a ding nor a WL, that's what it is!

I think it's because Dean Cornblatt tells interviewees that they'll hear back in 2-3 weeks. Hold emails seem like it's him getting back to you in 2-3 weeks to let you know that he likes you, but needs more time.

I imagine it's like when you stumble across somebody on Tinder/Bumble and you're like "Do I like them enough to swipe right? I dunno!" and then close out the app so you don't have to decide just yet but can continue swiping on other people.

I got the same email. I was admitted last year tho. I initially accepted the offer last year but then could not attend because of health reasons. I thought my interview went well ????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unicorntamer666

New

Post by unicorntamer666 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 am

This thread seems as good a place as any to voice this general criticism of GULC:

While GULC is clearly a solid school, esp. for ppl with a specific interest in public service, part-time students, and other subgroups of applicants, it is engaging in deceptive admissions practices to manipulate its USNAWR rankings.

During my cycle a couple years back, GULC sent me *frequent* emails reminding me that I was on a *super special* wait list for uniquely qualified candidates, but would I please promise them I'd attend GULC? If so, the implication was clear: I would be admitted.

I was far above both of GULC's medians, and was admitted to most of the T13 with substantial scholarships, including all of MVP and some T6.

This is the most blatant form of yield protection I've encountered. None of the other 20-some schools I applied to did anything like it.

Others have made note of this tactic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=205186

In addition to being inherently dishonest, I found this trick insultingly ham-handed.

Just an FYI.

Are they still doing this?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:50 am

unicorntamer666 wrote:This thread seems as good a place as any to voice this general criticism of GULC:

While GULC is clearly a solid school, esp. for ppl with a specific interest in public service, part-time students, and other subgroups of applicants, it is engaging in deceptive admissions practices to manipulate its USNAWR rankings.

During my cycle a couple years back, GULC sent me *frequent* emails reminding me that I was on a *super special* wait list for uniquely qualified candidates, but would I please promise them I'd attend GULC? If so, the implication was clear: I would be admitted.

I was far above both of GULC's medians, and was admitted to most of the T13 with substantial scholarships, including all of MVP and some T6.

This is the most blatant form of yield protection I've encountered. None of the other 20-some schools I applied to did anything like it.

Others have made note of this tactic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=205186

In addition to being inherently dishonest, I found this trick insultingly ham-handed.

Just an FYI.

Plenty of other schools do this too and is no reason to shit-talk GULC.........

unicorntamer666

New

Post by unicorntamer666 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:55 am

PostNihilist wrote:
unicorntamer666 wrote:This thread seems as good a place as any to voice this general criticism of GULC:

Just an FYI.

Didn't really intend to shit talk - I think it's a great school. Just hoping their admissions office will cease this particular practice, which I do think is extraordinary based on my experience (though if other schools do it, they too should stop in my opinion). It's basically fraud.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:58 am

unicorntamer666 wrote:
PostNihilist wrote:

Just an FYI.

Didn't really intend to shit talk - I think it's a great school. Just hoping their admissions office will cease this particular practice, which I do think is extraordinary based on my experience (though if other schools do it, they too should stop in my opinion). It's basically fraud.
I disagree, no different than any other YP IMO

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:51 pm

In via snail mail!!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:58 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:In via snail mail!!
Congrats! When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Like mid-late November. Letter was dated late November

Menchie

New

Post by Menchie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:36 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Like mid-late November. Letter was dated late November
Congratulations!! I have a similar timeline (we may very well have been in the same interview group), and I'm eagerly awaiting a letter. Haven't been dinged or waitlisted yet, so I'm holding onto hope :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missmiabuttface

New

Post by missmiabuttface » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Anyone who group interviewed around Nov. 29th hear back? Dean Cornblatt said we should receive some form of contact in about 2 weeks - I'm getting antsy waiting!

Menchie

New

Post by Menchie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 pm

missmiabuttface wrote:Anyone who group interviewed around Nov. 29th hear back? Dean Cornblatt said we should receive some form of contact in about 2 weeks - I'm getting antsy waiting!
I had my interview before that, and still nothing :|

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:18 pm

I wonder if the status checker is updated after showing Complete

missmiabuttface

New

Post by missmiabuttface » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Menchie wrote:
missmiabuttface wrote:Anyone who group interviewed around Nov. 29th hear back? Dean Cornblatt said we should receive some form of contact in about 2 weeks - I'm getting antsy waiting!
I had my interview before that, and still nothing :|
Aww that sucks. I'm hoping that it's a good thing (waiting for snail mail to come in) since Dings/WL are by email so those should arrive faster? Crossing fingers for the both of us!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”