UChicago c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What is your application status? (please update!!!)

Did not submit yet
6%
Submitted, incomplete
2%
Submitted, complete, not interviewed
37%
Submitted, complete, interviewed
19%
Accepted :D
20%
Waitlisted :roll:
14%
Rejected :cry:
2%

Total votes: 243

principalagent

Silver

Re: UChicago c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Are any of my fellow waitlisters doing to send in the essay they asked for?
Yep. I'm not gonna give up yet.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Last edited by etramak on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chelseacarl4970

New

Post by chelseacarl4970 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 pm

principalagent wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Are any of my fellow waitlisters doing to send in the essay they asked for?
+1 hoping it'll get me an interview at lease.. kinda surprised to get WL without one - I was expecting a ding,

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 pm

principalagent wrote:
Same. Honestly even if I got in I'm not sure I'd really want to pay sticker with other offers.. but Chi was always my top hope and it would still be nice to get in. Plus, maybe by some miracle they might even offer money!

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm

maybeman wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:
maybeman wrote:
wulfy10 wrote:
staggeringelephant wrote:Did any KJDs get accepted today?
LSAT>>75th GPA>50th, so I was kind of surprised to be waitlisted... :(
I guess I was overconfident...
I'm a K-JD and got accepted, LSAT and GPA >75
For posterity: at/above both 75ths. KJD, waitlisted.
That is brutal. So sorry to hear that. Best of luck the rest of the way! Keep your head up. You’ll get killer options still!
As someone who has had the best years of my life since undergrad (and at the time, I thought my four years of undergrad were the best) I totally recommend deferring/taking a year off. It's just so nice to be out in the world and learn a bit about yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

~~
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:02 pm

principalagent wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:THEY LET ME IN. I'M IN SHOCK. LAWD JESUS.
OH MY GOD!!!! YOU BETTA!!!

<3

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 pm

#gobroncos wrote:As someone who has had the best years of my life since undergrad (and at the time, I thought my four years of undergrad were the best) I totally recommend deferring/taking a year off. It's just so nice to be out in the world and learn a bit about yourself.
+180. Totally agreed on all accounts.
demos9 wrote:
principalagent wrote:
Same. Honestly even if I got in I'm not sure I'd really want to pay sticker with other offers.. but Chi was always my top hope and it would still be nice to get in. Plus, maybe by some miracle they might even offer money!
People get Rubies off the waitlist! Always gotta shoot your shot, even if Shaq blocked it the first time.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 pm

38981928 wrote:
CONGRATS!
Thank you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:04 pm

shermy wrote:
38981928 wrote:
jkander31 wrote:So honest q. Is Harvard's interview the same as UChicago in terms of its importance. I've heard that an early JS1 is a good sign that you'll get in (statistically) and Idk about UChicago. I know both are required. Sorry for being neuoritic
I'm not sure for UChicago, though I will say that the HLS interview was wonderful and my interviewer was very pleasant/friendly/conversational and seemed to really be trying to get to know me / see how my goals and personality fit within HLS. My Chicago interviewer seemed to be reading off a list of questions and gave no response whatsoever minus some head nodding while typing. If she were *trying* to look like a robot rattling off questions, she succeeded! She also gave no indication that she read my file beyond my resume, so I have a feeling you just have to pass a certain stats/resume threshold to get interviewed.
+1 Felt exactly the same way about my Chicago interview vs. my HLS interview. In fact, the former interviewer made a sarcastic joke during my interview that implied law firms would dislike working with me because I wanted to empower women/minorities in the workplace. It was super strange.
My interview with Chicago was a bunch a questions off a list. She was very methodical. However, I am asking if the interview has the same importance as Harvard. I know Harvard accepts about 70% of those interviewed and I was wondering if a UChicago interview is like UVA or more like Columbia or maybe like Harvard. Sorry for the confusion

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm

principalagent wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:As someone who has had the best years of my life since undergrad (and at the time, I thought my four years of undergrad were the best) I totally recommend deferring/taking a year off. It's just so nice to be out in the world and learn a bit about yourself.
+180. Totally agreed on all accounts.
demos9 wrote:
principalagent wrote:
People get Rubies off the waitlist! Always gotta shoot your shot, even if Shaq blocked it the first time.
ru srs might have to edit my last post lol
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:08 pm

jkander31 wrote:
shermy wrote:
38981928 wrote:
jkander31 wrote:So honest q. Is Harvard's interview the same as UChicago in terms of its importance. I've heard that an early JS1 is a good sign that you'll get in (statistically) and Idk about UChicago. I know both are required. Sorry for being neuoritic
I'm not sure for UChicago, though I will say that the HLS interview was wonderful and my interviewer was very pleasant/friendly/conversational and seemed to really be trying to get to know me / see how my goals and personality fit within HLS. My Chicago interviewer seemed to be reading off a list of questions and gave no response whatsoever minus some head nodding while typing. If she were *trying* to look like a robot rattling off questions, she succeeded! She also gave no indication that she read my file beyond my resume, so I have a feeling you just have to pass a certain stats/resume threshold to get interviewed.
+1 Felt exactly the same way about my Chicago interview vs. my HLS interview. In fact, the former interviewer made a sarcastic joke during my interview that implied law firms would dislike working with me because I wanted to empower women/minorities in the workplace. It was super strange.
My interview with Chicago was a bunch a questions off a list. She was very methodical. However, I am asking if the interview has the same importance as Harvard. I know Harvard accepts about 70% of those interviewed and I was wondering if a UChicago interview is like UVA or more like Columbia or maybe like Harvard. Sorry for the confusion
No, I got your question, I just didn't have an answer and was looking to rant about my strange interview experience :lol: I haven't seen % breakdowns on interview --> admit for UChicago. Based on pure instinct (with no stats to back this up whatsoever), I really don't think such a high percentage of people interviewed will get admitted (compared to Harvard or UVA, where it seems a lot of people interviewed get in almost immediately) because there was such little personalization during the interview that I doubt they even read the rest of my app yet.

shermy

New

Post by shermy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

jkander31 wrote:
shermy wrote:
38981928 wrote:
I read somewhere in the thread, either this year's or last year's that admit % after interviews was around 70%? But I don't know what that number was based on... and can't seem to find it again. That said, if that number is correct, it sounds like Chicago interviews send a similar signal to HLS interviews, in that you're now more likely to get in than to not get in once you've been invited to interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

~~
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

38981928 wrote:No, I got your question, I just didn't have an answer and was looking to rant about my strange interview experience :lol: I haven't seen % breakdowns on interview --> admit for UChicago. Based on pure instinct (with no stats to back this up whatsoever), I really don't think such a high percentage of people interviewed will get admitted (compared to Harvard or UVA, where it seems a lot of people interviewed get in almost immediately) because there was such little personalization during the interview that I doubt they even read the rest of my app yet.
To this point / conversation, I was actually told during my interview that the rest of my file wasn't read past my resume.

shermy

New

Post by shermy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

38981928 wrote:
jkander31 wrote:
shermy wrote:
38981928 wrote:
No, I got your question, I just didn't have an answer and was looking to rant about my strange interview experience :lol: I haven't seen % breakdowns on interview --> admit for UChicago. Based on pure instinct (with no stats to back this up whatsoever), I really don't think such a high percentage of people interviewed will get admitted (compared to Harvard or UVA, where it seems a lot of people interviewed get in almost immediately) because there was such little personalization during the interview that I doubt they even read the rest of my app yet.
And I selfishly also wanted to rant about my weird experience :lol:

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Aye congrats!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hstrat

Bronze

Post by Hstrat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

In past years, when did they start letting in WLs?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Hstrat wrote:In past years, when did they start letting in WLs?
If I remember correctly, as early as March

TastyMango

New

Post by TastyMango » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Waitlisted (177/4.0/non-urm, felt my interview went well). I was honestly a little surprised but such is life.

Congrats to all those who got in!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Congrats to all admits. Current 1L. PM me if you have any questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

principalagent wrote:
38981928 wrote:No, I got your question, I just didn't have an answer and was looking to rant about my strange interview experience :lol: I haven't seen % breakdowns on interview --> admit for UChicago. Based on pure instinct (with no stats to back this up whatsoever), I really don't think such a high percentage of people interviewed will get admitted (compared to Harvard or UVA, where it seems a lot of people interviewed get in almost immediately) because there was such little personalization during the interview that I doubt they even read the rest of my app yet.
To this point / conversation, I was actually told during my interview that the rest of my file wasn't read past my resume.
Same here.

LawSSS

New

Post by LawSSS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 pm

All these waitlists with great numbers...and now im 10000% more nervous for my interview.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

LawSSS wrote:All these waitlists with great numbers...and now im 10000% more nervous for my interview.
+1

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

All y'all going UR5 I'm sitting here at UR1 for like 2 months haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”