UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your app status?

In with scholly!
13%
In, no scholly yet...
16%
Waitlisted
7%
Dinged
2%
Ghosted
59%
Eww I didn't apply
4%

Total votes: 192

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks to ponderingmeerkat and other former OPs for putting most of the material together. If links aren't good anymore let me know and I'll update them. Class of 2019 numbers and links are there for now but I'll update once the 2020 numbers are out.

Application Resources

Applications open September 1st

Application Instructions
FAQs
Application Checklist
Admissions Timeline
Status Checker

Reference Materials

UVA Law Students Taking Questions TLS Thread
Class of 2020 Applicants TLS Thread
Class of 2019 Profile

MEDIAN LSAT: 169
25%-75% LSAT: 164-170
MEDIAN GPA: 3.86
25%-75% GPA: 3.48-3.94
AGE RANGE: 20 to 37

297 students enrolled from among 4,811 applicants
55% men, 45% women
24% identify themselves as minority students (including non-citizens)
59% have post-college work experience

TLS 2016-2017 Admissions Spreadsheet

Admissions Decisions for 2016-2017 Cycle from Law School Numbers

Admissions Timeline for 2014-2016 from MyLSN.info

Financial Considerations

2017-2018 Tuition and Fees

Lawschool22's COA Calculator

Charlottesville Information

Charlottesville Facts
Historical Sites
UVA Law Resources
Outdoor Activities
Bodos
Wineries and Breweries
Last edited by Slippin' Jimmy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: UVA c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Poll Results:

Last edited by Slippin' Jimmy on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey friends

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Checking in

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Here we go!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Hey guys! Heading to UVA in the fall so quote me if you want to ask any questions about the admissions process!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah boy!

Got in last year. Recycled for $$$ this year. Hoping for a Dillard!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Checking in!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Yeah boy!

Got in last year. Recycled for $$$ this year. Hoping for a Dillard!
Oh my, best of luck!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello, sunshines!

Checking in.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Checking in! :D

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Made an account just to get in on this thread! Lets go!

Out of curiosity, anyone going ED? I've been hearing conflicting things about going ED outside NU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:59 am

hamshotfirst wrote:Made an account just to get in on this thread! Lets go!

Out of curiosity, anyone going ED? I've been hearing conflicting things about going ED outside NU.
I'm not, and if you aren't independently wealthy I really don't think EDing is a good idea. UVA even regular decision can be stingy for some people, you would most likely end up paying sticker if you ED. And as much as I really, really want to go to UVA, there is no way its worth sticker price if you are debt financing.

What are your stats?

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I'm not, and if you aren't independently wealthy I really don't think EDing is a good idea. UVA even regular decision can be stingy for some people, you would most likely end up paying sticker if you ED. And as much as I really, really want to go to UVA, there is no way its worth sticker price if you are debt financing.

What are your stats?
I'm extremely fortunate in that cost isn't an issue, which is why I'm considering it. Also, UVA is my dream school, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't going to be a reach, since I'm going to be a splitter. My uGPA is below their 25% (3.2). I'm 6 years out and have some good work experience that I hope will show I'm a better person than the GPA reflects haha (not counting on softs, just hoping that plus a stellar LSAT will show I've gotten my act together).

I'm taking the LSAT in September, and while I've been PT-ing around my target score that I know would be most likely to get me accepted, I know that literally means nothing until I actually write for the test, so that's where all of my focus is going to be for the next 2 months.

Obviously it will depend on how the LSAT turns out (fingers crossed!) but since cost isn't a factor and I would definitely attend if accepted, I figure ED might be worth a shot. If nothing else, I figured it would crush me quickly.

WarriorPoet

New

Post by WarriorPoet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 am

I'm attending this year. I applied ED because of geographic ties and cost wasn't an issue (GI Bill), but they also surprised me with a pretty nice scholarship. They say they don't differentiate between ED and RD for money; I can only anecdotally say that's true, but it's possible.

I think work experience and other good softs matter a lot. A friend also got in last cycle with a GPA a good bit lower than yours on the strength of a really good resume. I don't think it's a reach for you if you get a decent LSAT, and ED isn't a bad option.
hamshotfirst wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

What are your stats?
I'm extremely fortunate in that cost isn't an issue, which is why I'm considering it. Also, UVA is my dream school, but I'm not going to pretend it isn't going to be a reach, since I'm going to be a splitter. My uGPA is below their 25% (3.2). I'm 6 years out and have some good work experience that I hope will show I'm a better person than the GPA reflects haha (not counting on softs, just hoping that plus a stellar LSAT will show I've gotten my act together).

I'm taking the LSAT in September, and while I've been PT-ing around my target score that I know would be most likely to get me accepted, I know that literally means nothing until I actually write for the test, so that's where all of my focus is going to be for the next 2 months.

Obviously it will depend on how the LSAT turns out (fingers crossed!) but since cost isn't a factor and I would definitely attend if accepted, I figure ED might be worth a shot. If nothing else, I figured it would crush me quickly.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:I'm attending this year. I applied ED because of geographic ties and cost wasn't an issue (GI Bill), but they also surprised me with a pretty nice scholarship. They say they don't differentiate between ED and RD for money; I can only anecdotally say that's true, but it's possible.

I think work experience and other good softs matter a lot. A friend also got in last cycle with a GPA a good bit lower than yours on the strength of a really good resume. I don't think it's a reach for you if you get a decent LSAT, and ED isn't a bad option.
hamshotfirst wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

What are your stats?

Thanks so much for your reply! This is super encouraging and definitely extra motivating to study more for the LSAT!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WarriorPoet

New

Post by WarriorPoet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:
WarriorPoet wrote:I'm attending this year. I applied ED because of geographic ties and cost wasn't an issue (GI Bill), but they also surprised me with a pretty nice scholarship. They say they don't differentiate between ED and RD for money; I can only anecdotally say that's true, but it's possible.

hamshotfirst wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

What are your stats?

Thanks so much for your reply! This is super encouraging and definitely extra motivating to study more for the LSAT!
No problem; just trying to pay forward some of the good advice and guidance I got here when I was applying. Best of luck on your LSAT and application.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Definitely applying here.

Pretty much a coin flip on MyLSN, but I'm from VA and graduated from UVA so hopefully that will be worth something.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Checking in. Let's get it

pupper

New

Post by pupper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:21 am

Checking in! Best of luck, everyone.

Also, law-hoo-wah.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dxgriffin

New

Post by dxgriffin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:

I was admitted this year with 3.2 GPA and 175 LSAT, ~10 years work experience. Work and life experience is a plus, so as long as you can kill the LSAT, you have a chance. I deferred to Fall 2018, so I'll be seeing some of you guys in 1L!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 pm

dxgriffin wrote: I was admitted this year with 3.2 GPA and 175 LSAT, ~10 years work experience. Work and life experience is a plus, so as long as you can kill the LSAT, you have a chance. I deferred to Fall 2018, so I'll be seeing some of you guys in 1L!
Do you have a LSN profile/ can you share whether you received any aid as a splitter?

dxgriffin

New

Post by dxgriffin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 am

clueless801 wrote:
dxgriffin wrote: I was admitted this year with 3.2 GPA and 175 LSAT, ~10 years work experience. Work and life experience is a plus, so as long as you can kill the LSAT, you have a chance. I deferred to Fall 2018, so I'll be seeing some of you guys in 1L!
Do you have a LSN profile/ can you share whether you received any aid as a splitter?
Yes, I received scholarship offers from all the schools that accepted me, with the exception of Georgetown. My LSN profile is at: lawschoolnumbers.com/Dxgriffin. I got a denial from UT, because I failed to respond to their request for a supplemental statement (because I was already in at all the other schools by then). Otherwise, I did alright in the admissions process. Also, I have diversity factors that affected my apps (but not a URM).

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Just found out yesterday that UVA has a JD/MA in legal history program that gives you both degrees after only 3 years and no additional cost on top of the JD. While I'd prefer a Polisci MA to one in history, the fact that there is no additional time or cost is making it a very attractive option. I'd like to keep a future PhD/Undergrad Academia in the realm of possibility and this could really keep that door open with no additional time or $$.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”