TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

InterLaw wrote:What is your opinion about WHY X essays out of MVPD? I was thinking about NU, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, GWU and W&M.

I have compelling reasons to write one for any of them, but since I'm already sending a lot of addenda I would add them just if they actually impact.
(I am above/far above the 75th for all those schools).

Cheers!
Only wrote why X for MVD, It would be a good idea to write one for Cornell but I didn't because I couldn't write anything sincere, and I feel like an insincere why X could do a lot of harm.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm

How long is your resume for applications?

I have 4 years of work experience and that takes almost 2/3 of my resume.

If I add my community work and college activities, it can easily take fill 2 pages.

Please help.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:How long is your resume for applications?

If I add my community work and college activities, it can easily take fill 2 pages.

Please help.
Two is fine.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:What is your opinion about WHY X essays out of MVPD? I was thinking about NU, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, GWU and W&M.

I have compelling reasons to write one for any of them, but since I'm already sending a lot of addenda I would add them just if they actually impact.
(I am above/far above the 75th for all those schools).

Cheers!
Only wrote why X for MVD, It would be a good idea to write one for Cornell but I didn't because I couldn't write anything sincere, and I feel like an insincere why X could do a lot of harm.
What did you put for Section 8 "Interest in Cornell"?
I talked about their placement strength and national reputation. It was a full on Why X that I don't think would have come out too well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Please help.
I barely fit on one page but I'm a K-JD. If you have actual work experience 2 should be fine.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 pm

sabraph wrote:Anyone having issues with "Session Error"s, LSAC telling you you're opened a second window - when you haven't? This has happened to me (I swear I'm not exaggerating) 16 times different computers, different wifi networks, different times of day. It seems like the only thing to do is wait an hour or two. Anyone experienced/resolved this?
delete all cookies and cached data associated with lsac.org. worked for me.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 am

Submitted 8 of my 9 applications! Now for the Yale app to drop so I can be done with this :|

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 pm

What do y'all think I should do?

Apply now with my 168 or retake LSAT in December and hopefully score 170?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 pm

8 apps just sent, 5 to go. Anxiety level just doubled...
Finger crossed!

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Please help.
I think your resume might either be too wordy. 4 years of exp. shouldn't take up 2/3 of your resume unless you switched jobs more than 3 times.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Thank you everyone who was able to answer my questions about my resume. I have decided to keep it at 1 page by cutting from my job descriptions and listing my college activities.

On another note,What do you think about those who say there are too many lawyers in the US?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am

urmlaw17 wrote:Thank you everyone who was able to answer my questions about my resume. I have decided to keep it at 1 page by cutting from my job descriptions and listing my college activities.

On another note,What do you think about those who say there are too many lawyers in the US?
In the sense that there are too many lawyers being churned out by law schools every year I agree. A good 50 law schools should be completely eliminated.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Are you all still going to the LSAC forums?

Would you mention to the admissions representatives that you have applied already?

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:Are you all still going to the LSAC forums?

Would you mention to the admissions representatives that you have applied already?
I'm going to Houston (assuming they can find another hotel to host in time) as 90% of the schools I'm applying to will be there. But I'm curious about strategies. The last time I went it was more informational: gathering info on programs, asking about locations, clinics, journals, etc. I'm not really sure what to talk to admissions reps about this time... ideas? how do you find an organic opportunity to sell yourself among a bunch of bumbling high school juniors asking questions about lsat medians?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:28 pm

sabraph wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:Are you all still going to the LSAC forums?

I'm going to Houston (assuming they can find another hotel to host in time) as 90% of the schools I'm applying to will be there. But I'm curious about strategies. The last time I went it was more informational: gathering info on programs, asking about locations, clinics, journals, etc. I'm not really sure what to talk to admissions reps about this time... ideas? how do you find an organic opportunity to sell yourself among a bunch of bumbling high school juniors asking questions about lsat medians?
research the schools you're applying to before hand so you have interesting discussion points. Duke for example - "Hey, I saw online that you guys offer a JD/LLM program. This seems really interesting to me as it matches my background of __ and it could help me achieve __ down the line". Think of some questions to ask for more details. If you have intelligent questions you should be able to keep the conversation flowing naturally from there on out. They will either provide useful details or be like "oh I don't know but we can follow up with you", in which case you just ask them about their experiences with the school and other generic ice breaker type questions. Express your interest and just act cool. People on the other side of the isle feel the same way about the "career fair" events as students, just for different reasons. They get hammered with "oh your school is prestigious, I want to go there." all day long, so if you break the monotony you should be fine. Just be sincere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I know this is a bit off topic but from those who have applied/heard back from schools already, how long did it take from when you "checked out" on the LSAC page until you went complete?

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:I know this is a bit off topic but from those who have applied/heard back from schools already, how long did it take from when you "checked out" on the LSAC page until you went complete?
By "complete" you mean when did I hear back from the schools that they received my apps / status check info? If so, right the morning after (app sent late night). If you mean when did I get UR well it depends from the school... Still "incomplete" at usc, UR at UVA... Hope to have answered your question

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 pm

InterLaw wrote:
virginia_direwoolf wrote:I know this is a bit off topic but from those who have applied/heard back from schools already, how long did it take from when you "checked out" on the LSAC page until you went complete?
By "complete" you mean when did I hear back from the schools that they received my apps / status check info? If so, right the morning after (app sent late night). If you mean when did I get UR well it depends from the school... Still "incomplete" at usc, UR at UVA... Hope to have answered your question
That's exactly what I meant (brain fried from the excitement of app submission), thanks for the info!!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Last edited by rachelac on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm

rachelac wrote:
Depends on the school- my extremes were Duke (complete and UR in 2 days, decision 2 days after) and Columbia (13 days before email confirmation that my app had been received). Most schools sent confirmation in 3 days or less.
This is great to hear, thanks!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Quick question, folks.

For the education parts of the app, should we include high school information? My drop-down list only goes as far as undergraduate.

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:Quick question, folks.

For the education parts of the app, should we include high school information? My drop-down list only goes as far as undergraduate.
I think that if a school wants you to include high school information, you'll be prompted to do so before that section can be completed. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”