TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Delano

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Delano » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:03 pm

principalagent wrote:I was under the impression that Why X is pretty much a no-go for HYS and even CCN, just because the reasons to go to those schools are a little obvious. They also don't really yield protect, so you're not protecting your application against that kind of scrutiny by writing one. I feel as if I've seen them associated a little with Chicago, but mostly with MVP and, somewhat generally, the rest of the T15 down through Texas/Georgetown.
I have a feeling writing a "Why Yale" would be a bad idea. I've heard of people writing "Why Hs" on occasion. Not sure about SLS.

Planning on writing one for CCN - I've seen them pull some moves that look a bit like YP in the past and I don't want to get dinged or held because they think I'm not interested enough when I definitely am. Unless that would hurt my app more than help it?
Last edited by Delano on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Took a break from my LSAT studying and found this thread alive and kicking. Tentatively checking in and I say that because I need a good score September to even have a shot at a T13+Georgetown :oops: :cry: :shock:

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Poll should have multiple responses. I think ideally I'm choosing between partial scholarship at UVA/Michigan and full one at WUSTL.

SadFootballFan

New

Post by SadFootballFan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Long-time lurker.

4.0 (4.2 LSAC) in Engineering/176.

Applying to HSYCCN, Duke, and Michigan. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly; I'll know more after I see offers and campuses.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Checking in. If retake goes according to plan in September, I'll be shooting for H.

3.5 (4.0 last two years, and solid explanation for my weak start)/ 165 (far below pt average, retaking in sept and hoping lightning doesn't strike twice) / KJD/ AA URM

I want a clerkship and D.C biglaw lit.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Par0lEvid3nce

New

Post by Par0lEvid3nce » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 am

3.29 (LSAC) / 167 LSAT (retake in Sept and possibly Dec) / URM (I think...) / WE / Unique Softs

I'm hoping for a school with great California placement but my end goal is to work for the Magic Circle (Clifford, A&O, Linklaters, Freshfields) or a firm with a huge London presence.

I hope everyone has a favorable cycle! :D

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 am

Checking in as an extreme splitter. 2.7/168, retaking in Sept. Have a very compelling reason for the low GPA as well as a very strong grade trend (4.0 across most-recent 42 credit hours) but the GPA still blows. Would love to get in to GULC but WUSTL with a hefty scholly is sounding pretty good as my reach-but-still-possible option. We'll see how the retake goes.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am

SadFootballFan wrote:Long-time lurker.

Applying to HSYCCN, Duke, and Michigan. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly; I'll know more after I see offers and campuses.
I'd actually trade a kidney for those numbers.
Do you need one?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TastyMango

New

Post by TastyMango » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 pm

4.0 Biochem with a 177 Lsat. I'm still a little bit in shock over my score.

Definitely applying to the top 6 as well as probably Northwestern and Berkeley, but I'm not sure if I should bother applying anywhere else.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm

TastyMango wrote:4.0 Biochem with a 177 Lsat. I'm still a little bit in shock over my score.

Definitely applying to the top 6 as well as probably Northwestern and Berkeley, but I'm not sure if I should bother applying anywhere else.
Very nice!
Apply where you want to go for free. That's really all you need to do with those stats

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Checking in, but not taking the LSAT till December so for the next five months Ill be more of a lurker/shitposter

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:19 pm

MercW07 wrote:Checking in, but not taking the LSAT till December so for the next five months Ill be more of a lurker/shitposter
we welcome you with open arms

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:42 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Checking in!

Are you writing Why X for every school? My PS is pretty much done (I'll be revisiting it on a weekly basis for edits and revisions until September and it's already in the hands of people who offered to look over it) and I'm wanting to knock out as many essays as possible.
I'm writing for every school for which I have real and convincing material. If it's half-hearted I think it hurts you more than helps.
Cool. I like the way you're looking at it. I think I'm going to do one for my top 3 schools and then I'll throw one in for the 4 schools that make me nervous re: YP

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm

TastyMango wrote:4.0 Biochem with a 177 Lsat. I'm still a little bit in shock over my score.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

don't take my ruby guys :wink:

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:43 pm

You should apply across T14, You've got a great chance for a named scholarship and can use that to negotiate aid at CCN. Who knows, you may even want to take the "less prestigous" school where you can get the same outcome and have no debt. Just my $.02

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:10 pm

dm1683 wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

don't take my ruby guys :wink:
They'll be at Y/S don't worry.

TastyMango

New

Post by TastyMango » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:23 pm

mrcfa1995 wrote:

You should apply across T14, You've got a great chance for a named scholarship and can use that to negotiate aid at CCN. Who knows, you may even want to take the "less prestigous" school where you can get the same outcome and have no debt. Just my $.02
You're probably right. Thanks!

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello everyone. :D

Anyone in the Atlanta area planning to go to the forum in October? I wasn't planning on it but now I'm retaking in September so I won't have already submitted all of my apps by the time the forum happens. Have any of y'all ever gone to a forum that can provide insight as to how helpful it is?
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:Hello everyone. :D

Anyone in the Atlanta area planning to go to the forum in October? I wasn't planning on it but now I'm retaking in September so I won't have already submitted all of my apps by the time the forum happens. Have any of y'all ever gone to a forum that can provide insight as to how helpful it is?
I'm going to the one in DC next weekend but if anyone has advice on how to "do" a forum I would like to know as well. From what I've heard schools give out fee waivers like candy and it can give you some face to face time with admissions people which you can write about in why X statements. Another reason I'm going is because my Dad wanted to go to learn more about the process so he footed the travel bill! He'll probably do all of the workshops/lectures while I meet with schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote: I'm going to the one in DC next weekend but if anyone has advice on how to "do" a forum I would like to know as well. From what I've heard schools give out fee waivers like candy and it can give you some face to face time with admissions people which you can write about in why X statements. Another reason I'm going is because my Dad wanted to go to learn more about the process so he footed the travel bill! He'll probably do all of the workshops/lectures while I meet with schools.
Will you let me know how it goes/what to expect after you've gone? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go, but I have no idea what to expect. LSAC's explanation is painfully vague (or maybe I just really like to know details). I would have to skip a class to drive to Atlanta, but it's just my golf class so I guess it doesn't really matter. :lol:
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Will do NTP!

Now I have a question: Has anyone utilized 7sage's consulting/PS services? I'm pretty sure I don't need a full cycle consultant at this point but I am having a really tough time with my personal statement and am strongly considering getting some help for it. Spivey of course is the default choice but their PS package is kind of pricey while 7sage's is only $599. Obviously I'd prefer going with Spivey based off of their reputation and an excellent consultation I had with them the other day, but 7sage is significantly less expensive. I haven't been able to find any reviews of their services not from their website, so I'm just trying to figure out if they are a viable alternative if I'm only looking to work on my PS.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Will do NTP!

Now I have a question: Has anyone utilized 7sage's consulting/PS services? I'm pretty sure I don't need a full cycle consultant at this point but I am having a really tough time with my personal statement and am strongly considering getting some help for it. Spivey of course is the default choice but their PS package is kind of pricey while 7sage's is only $599. Obviously I'd prefer going with Spivey based off of their reputation and an excellent consultation I had with them the other day, but 7sage is significantly less expensive. I haven't been able to find any reviews of their services not from their website, so I'm just trying to figure out if they are a viable alternative if I'm only looking to work on my PS.
Im wondering the same thing. I see Spivey mentioned on here all the time, but I haven't seen much about 7Sage.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Speaking of forums (fora?), anyone planning to attend the Chicago one? It's at the palmer house, which is GORGEOUS. I will have to see what my schedule looks like for classes that day (It's a tuesday smh).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”