TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
InterLaw

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by InterLaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Do you guys think that a first generation college addendum would/could make any difference?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm

InterLaw wrote:Do you guys think that a first generation college addendum would/could make any difference?
It could if it is well written and compelling. Berkeley is notorious for liking first gen college and doctoral students. I mentioned my first gen status in my PS and a few of the apps ask specifically if you are one, but sometimes in weird ways. Like some schools define first gen as first in family, and some define it was your parents not having degrees. I met one requirement, but not the other, so I made sure to mention my situation elsewhere in my apps.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Am I wasting my time & money applying to Berk? I want to practice in Miami, NY, or DC; also, they are notoriously stingy so it's not like I can use their scholly (if any) as leverage. I know people say to blanket the T13, but I don't think it makes sense in my case. Any thoughts?
I know I would not attend Berk or Cornell under pretty much any circumstance, so I won't be applying. If you know you won't go, no point in applying.
:cry:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Am I wasting my time & money applying to Berk? I want to practice in Miami, NY, or DC; also, they are notoriously stingy so it's not like I can use their scholly (if any) as leverage. I know people say to blanket the T13, but I don't think it makes sense in my case. Any thoughts?
I'm skipping Berkley, Penn and Chicago for similar reasons.
Bruh, I've seen your numbers. Don't limit yourself by not applying :D I think you're right in Penn's wheelhouse, right? And Berk is unpredictable, they could give you 0 or a full
I thought about floating an app to Penn if I can get a waiver, but it seems to me like my GPA is a bit low for them. And while Berkley might give me some $$$ I can't envision any situation where I would attend.

In other news, this is my current waiver status, hopefully it will help someone:

Solicited at LSAC Forum: UVA, Vandy, UCLA, Emory, W&M, W&L, George Mason, FSU, Miami, North Dakota (they were giving away flash drives!!)
Unsolicited email: WUSTL, Missouri, lots of TTs and TTTs
Solicited email, fill out a form after apps open: Northwestern, Notre Dame
Solicited email, will review request after apps open: GULC
Solicited email, we only give out merit via CRS: NYU, Cornell, Texas
Solicited email, awaiting response: Penn, Michigan, UF
Not yet solicited: Columbia (do they even do merit waivers?), Duke (hoping for PT first).
FWIW, the only schools that I did not receive a waiver from were HYS, Penn, and Cornell. I failed to solicit one for Cornell and Penn, but was successful at Gtown. All other schools sent them to me unsolicited

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Do you guys think that a first generation college addendum would/could make any difference?
It could if it is well written and compelling. Berkeley is notorious for liking first gen college and doctoral students. I mentioned my first gen status in my PS and a few of the apps ask specifically if you are one, but sometimes in weird ways. Like some schools define first gen as first in family, and some define it was your parents not having degrees. I met one requirement, but not the other, so I made sure to mention my situation elsewhere in my apps.
I am the first one in my family (even grandparents / uncles / aunts / cousins) to attend university. What do you mean by "compelling"? I mean, what could I write more than some lines saying that I am the first one bla bla bla? (Asking because in my country "first gen" is not even a thing)

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Are you writing a diversity statement? Bringing together being an international applicant and first gen could make for a pretty kick ass DS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 pm

InterLaw wrote: I am the first one in my family (even grandparents / uncles / aunts / cousins) to attend university. What do you mean by "compelling"? I mean, what could I write more than some lines saying that I am the first one bla bla bla? (Asking because in my country "first gen" is not even a thing)
Did you ever feel lost when applying for college? Or was it weird to leave home and go to college and leave your family (assuming a residential school)? Did people often take experiences for granted that you never even considered or couldn't participate in due to being first generation. Did you feel either/both a disconnect from your home or empowered to succeed? Any stumbles that you grew from? All work very well as potential themes in a diversity statement about being a first generation student.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm

I wasn't sure if there was a resume thread. But I had a couple quick issues and would love some help.
I was just curious how you would label sporadic volunteer work. I am a trained legal observer, but operate very much on an "as needed/requested" basis. I was going to just label it as "March 2017-current." I don't have regular hours so can't really state X/week on this. I have done it as recently as last week. While I'm not crazy about civil unrest, I hope to continue to be doing this for as long as I live here.

Also, I have gone to optional trainings that are *roughly* related to other volunteer work that I do but was done by other organizations. Would it be okay to include it in the description as I don't know if there is a stand-alone section for it. It was on LGBTQ Domestic Violence and I heard of the class when I was a Guardian ad Litem, though the knowledge gained is likely apply more for the pro-se divorce clinic that I work.

I found these headings recommended online: Education, Honors, Activities, Employment, Skills. I am going to nix Honors, but place both volunteer activities and organizational memberships under "Activities."

This is probably fairly obvious looking from the outside, but I really want to make sure I paint a clear picture of who I am and what I do (what with my dismal UG GPA.)

Thanks for the support!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:I wasn't sure if there was a resume thread. But I had a couple quick issues and would love some help.
I was just curious how you would label sporadic volunteer work. I am a trained legal observer, but operate very much on an "as needed/requested" basis. I was going to just label it as "March 2017-current." I don't have regular hours so can't really state X/week on this. I have done it as recently as last week. While I'm not crazy about civil unrest, I hope to continue to be doing this for as long as I live here.
I have an item like this on my resume and I just put "as needed" where I normally would have put time/time period.
Also, I have gone to optional trainings that are *roughly* related to other volunteer work that I do but was done by other organizations. Would it be okay to include it in the description as I don't know if there is a stand-alone section for it. It was on LGBTQ Domestic Violence and I heard of the class when I was a Guardian ad Litem, though the knowledge gained is likely apply more for the pro-se divorce clinic that I work.
Maybe a brief description of the training will suffice - perhaps saying something like "conducted by outside organization"
I found these headings recommended online: Education, Honors, Activities, Employment, Skills. I am going to nix Honors, but place both volunteer activities and organizational memberships under "Activities."
Did the same on mine.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

Got the Duke PT email today! (Above both 75ths, unsolicited, CRS registered)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 am

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am

Also got Duke's PT email, also surprised (3.45/171)

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:37 am

Didn't get it, >>75 / <<<25 splitter

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 am

Also got the PT invite. 3.8/173

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am

No PT invite for me :( got the fee waiver email instead, 3.82 171.

Probably going to solicit one later today.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am

OP of the 2020 thread here. If you didn't get a PT invite and think you should have, solicit!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 am

proteinshake wrote:OP of the 2020 thread here. If you didn't get a PT invite and think you should have, solicit!
Just did. Not to be rude to anyone here but my stats are better than several people here and on reddit that got invites, and I'm really surprised I didn't get it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:05 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
proteinshake wrote:OP of the 2020 thread here. If you didn't get a PT invite and think you should have, solicit!
Just did. Not to be rude to anyone here but my stats are better than several people here and on reddit that got invites, and I'm really surprised I didn't get it.
praying for you :lol: the non-PT Duke folk usually have a long ride ahead of them

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 am

rachelac wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:
Stanford is getting closer and closer to Yale! :shock: I couldn't find the topics on their website. Mind sharing the link?
Not sure it's on their website but it's on the "Optional Essays" tab of their LSAC app!
Thanks a lot! :)

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 am

No PT invite or fee waiver. URM, LSAT > 75, GPA <<25. CRS and preferenced NC for law school on the selection page. Wondering how much good soliciting would do, but it's a very top choice for me.
Last edited by principalagent on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 am

proteinshake wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
praying for you :lol: the non-PT Duke folk usually have a long ride ahead of them
I got an email back saying they forwarded my request to the PT coordinator and to contact him directly if I don't hear back soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 pm

PT invite as well. IDK if I will apply though; Duke is not really high on my list.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 pm

dm1683 wrote:PT invite as well. IDK if I will apply though; Duke is not really high on my list.
If you have a PT invite, your numbers at least put you in the conversation for a scholly. It's worth applying if and when you end up negotiating fin aid.

e: given your actual numbers on your profile, you should definitely apply.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Pozzo wrote:
dm1683 wrote:PT invite as well. IDK if I will apply though; Duke is not really high on my list.
If you have a PT invite, your numbers at least put you in the conversation for a scholly. It's worth applying if and when you end up negotiating fin aid.

e: given your actual numbers on your profile, you should definitely apply.
Yeah I suppose I should, if only because my #2 choice, MIchigan, is a peer of theirs and they would likely listen to a better offer from Duke.

Can't really see myself attending though. I'm LGBT so NC isn't really my vibe, plus Duke absolutely smoked my UG's basketball team at a game I went to and I'm still bitter about it :D

EDIT: spelling

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Is it worth it to try to solicit a fee waiver from schools now if I plan on re taking in September? Or should I wait for a, hopefully, better lsat score? Was hoping to apply mid October after I got the September score back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”