TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
InterLaw

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestion!
Last edited by InterLaw on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:Blanketing T13, GULC, with BC and Miami as safety options. Ideally, I'd like to take a "lower" T13 with as close to 100K debt as possible
BC/Miami shouldn't yield protect, as most non-T13s can't really afford to (at least in my experience, someone else may have experienced something different).

For M/D/UVA/Penn I'd write Why X's for all of them. Shouldn't be as big of a deal since you're not an above both 75ths candidate (and I'm assuming you are applying in September), but they tend to like additional essays.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 am

Is being above both 75ths when you're in danger of a YP WL?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:Is being above both 75ths when you're in danger of a YP WL?
YP (can be WL or straight reject) I'd say is more likely if you're above 75ths than not, but YP is also something that may just be an excuse made up by people who get rejected from schools they feel they should have gotten into based on numbers alone (maybe their application wasn't actually very good).

The schools I listed are pretty well known for liking/appreciating extra essays/Why Xs, and applicants tend to see better results when submitting supplementals to those schools.

The biggest key is to write essays for schools you actually want to attend, and write them with legitimate reasons. Adcomms can smell BS a mile away

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:09 pm

mrcfa1995 wrote:Is being above both 75ths when you're in danger of a YP WL?
YP (can be WL or straight reject) I'd say is more likely if you're above 75ths than not, but YP is also something that may just be an excuse made up by people who get rejected from schools they feel they should have gotten into based on numbers alone (maybe their application wasn't actually very good).

The schools I listed are pretty well known for liking/appreciating extra essays/Why Xs, and applicants tend to see better results when submitting supplementals to those schools.

The biggest key is to write essays for schools you actually want to attend, and write them with legitimate reasons. Adcomms can smell BS a mile away
+1
I think YP is less "This person is unlikely to attend because their numbers are too strong" and more "This person is unlikely to attend because they don't seem to be genuinely interested in the school." Might be more likely when you're above both 75ths, but it may not be.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

One of my recommenders (boss at work) asked me what they should include in an ideal recommendation, or what they can write that will "tip the scales". Given that it is not an academic letter, and I haven't brokered peace in the Middle East, what should I say? What makes a recommendation stand out?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm

rowdy wrote:
rowdy wrote:Cool, because I was wondering: would being Grammy-winning visionary artist 2 Chainz be a "good soft" or a "bad soft" (assuming decent LSAT/GPA)? Would "being 2 Chainz" be considered good work experience?

Follow-up: same question but Fred Willard.
If you were applying as 2 Chainz, would you make it the subject of your personal statement? Or is that too obvious?
Lol I hope you're 2 Chainz. That's amazing. Easy PS theme: "I'm Different - The Story of 2 Chainz"

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm

rowdy wrote:One of my recommenders (boss at work) asked me what they should include in an ideal recommendation, or what they can write that will "tip the scales". Given that it is not an academic letter, and I haven't brokered peace in the Middle East, what should I say? What makes a recommendation stand out?
'Always refills the coffee pot'
'excellent at shitposting while at work'
'nice legs'

all are good additions

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm

rowdy wrote:One of my recommenders (boss at work) asked me what they should include in an ideal recommendation, or what they can write that will "tip the scales". Given that it is not an academic letter, and I haven't brokered peace in the Middle East, what should I say? What makes a recommendation stand out?
More boring reply than Ex-Engineer's:
  • Ability to multitask. If, like me, you know your profs and other referrers because of one or two courses, it'll probably be harder for them to talk about your work ethics or your time management capacity in general.
  • Ability to be a pleasant and socially capable person in a professional environment. This goes hand in hand with Ex-Engineer's post of always refilling the coffee pot and having nice legs.
  • Anyone else cares to add?
Last edited by tuna_wasabi on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm

'nice legs'

all are good additions
I empty the coffee pot as quickly as I refill it though, so

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 pm

rowdy wrote:
'nice legs'

all are good additions
I empty the coffee pot as quickly as I refill it though, so
'empties coffee pot very quickly'

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm

also i always think tuna wasabi's posts are lynn wibi's

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Platopus wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:
Are you saying that if you waive your rights to view your letter of rec your recommender can't then voluntarily show you what they wrote without you having to tell LSAC that you saw the letter? I thought that waiving your right to view the letter just meant that if you are accepted to that school your letter won't be treated like a part of your student record and if you ask the school to show you the letter they can and probably will say no.
Nothing stopping the professor from showing you the letter, LSAC won't that's all.
it's what NavyNuke said - you have access rights to your ed records under a federal act. you waive your right to request the letter that you otherwise could under that act. The waiver is not so that LSAC won't show you the letter. You don't waive your right to request it from LSAC because you are net federally guaranteed a right to request it from LSAC like you are from whatever school you eventually attend.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Anybody get any interesting mail lately? When do most schools start sending mail/fee waivers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Platopus wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Anybody get any interesting mail lately? When do most schools start sending mail/fee waivers?
UCLA last week(?) sent me a fee waiver email and encouraged me to apply to their scholars program this fall, but thats the only notable movement I've noticed so far. Been mostly TTT's looking to fill their classes for the fall.
Do you have your transcripts in? Or did they sent it purely off of LSAT?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Platopus wrote:
heyduchess wrote:Anybody get any interesting mail lately? When do most schools start sending mail/fee waivers?
UCLA last week(?) sent me a fee waiver email and encouraged me to apply to their scholars program this fall, but thats the only notable movement I've noticed so far. Been mostly TTT's looking to fill their classes for the fall.
Okay. Same, same.

You know that feeling you get sometimes when you think people are hanging out without you? That's how I feel about law schools. "Are you guys flirting with other 98 and 99 percenters? Am I being left out?"

@rowdy: My GPa is trash, but it's in. I started getting mail before it was, though.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Okay. Same, same.

You know that feeling you get sometimes when you think people are hanging out without you? That's how I feel about law schools. "Are you guys flirting with other 98 and 99 percenters? Am I being left out?"

@rowdy: My GPa is trash, but it's in. I started getting mail before it was, though.
I'm waiting on one transcript, so mine isn't in yet. I've gotten some stuff but not UCLA. I was just curious!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Okay. Same, same.

Is there any way we can filter out emails from schools we are not interested in in the LSAC website?

Also, anyone else freaking out over the PS/DS?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Okay. Same, same.

Is there any way we can filter out emails from schools we are not interested in in the LSAC website?

Also, anyone else freaking out over the PS/DS?
I'm feeling great about my PS... because none of my lawyer friends have read it yet. Get back to me in a week when they've all trashed it :)

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Probably going to finish my PS next week, I've got an outline I'm happy with for now. Spent most of my time at work today researching my top choices so I have something of substance to talk about at the forum Saturday. Really liking the looks of UVA's SCOTUS and Appellate 3L clinics.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”