TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MercW07

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by MercW07 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:For anyone interested, David from 7sage admissions is doing a PS webinar tonight at 9, details here https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11775

If I can't get my PS to a respectable point this weeks I'll probably have to get some outside help.
I watched his last PS webinar and thought it was pretty good. Most of the stuff he covered seemed pretty basic, but if you're someone that has no idea what you are going to write about, he does give some good foundational tips that would work well as a sort of guiding roadmap. Long story short, if you're almost done with your PS it probably wont be of much help, but if you've been staring at a blank Microsoft word document for the last 2 weeks you should find it helpful.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Anyone know about when schools will start releasing their class of 2020 profiles? Mostly interested in the GPA/LSAT percentiles.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

InterLaw wrote:Just secured a big recommender! (Dean at top Ivy)... I know that this is mainly a numbers game and that the "prestige" of the recommender is not so important but considering that I run with just one number everything else gains some importance, and I believe that his letter will add some weight, at least for the law school of his institution... In any case, he offered to help me without me asking so it won't hurt! 8) 8)

Does someone of you already started in preparing applications?
Congrats InterLaw! :D

Trying, but failing, to write a PS/DS.
Also, trying, but failing, to muster the motivation necessary to retake my 172.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:Anyone know about when schools will start releasing their class of 2020 profiles? Mostly interested in the GPA/LSAT percentiles.
I believe they start to roll out in late August/early September once schools know exactly who matriculates and they have final GPAs in.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Just secured a big recommender! (Dean at top Ivy)... I know that this is mainly a numbers game and that the "prestige" of the recommender is not so important but considering that I run with just one number everything else gains some importance, and I believe that his letter will add some weight, at least for the law school of his institution... In any case, he offered to help me without me asking so it won't hurt! 8) 8)

Failing to muster motivation to study for my retake, too.

I have one LOR writer confirmed, my PS on its fourth revision (and me realizing that it might not answer the prompt for one of my top schools SOS), and my résumé done.

Anybody here know how to structure a Why X?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:Anyone know about when schools will start releasing their class of 2020 profiles? Mostly interested in the GPA/LSAT percentiles.
I believe they start to roll out in late August/early September once schools know exactly who matriculates and they have final GPAs in.
Okay so before when I'll be applying then, awesome thanks! (I'm applying the day my Sept score comes in)

youngdumbandbroke

New

Post by youngdumbandbroke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Checking in.......
Last edited by youngdumbandbroke on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:23 pm

heyduchess wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:

Failing to muster motivation to study for my retake, too.

I have one LOR writer confirmed, my PS on its fourth revision (and me realizing that it might not answer the prompt for one of my top schools SOS), and my résumé done.

Anybody here know how to structure a Why X?
I don't, but probably they do!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Passed my Kaplan audition and am scheduled for a technical interview in 2 weeks. For the audition I had to explain how to solve a necessary assumption question, which was easy except for the fact that I was only given 2 minutes. I had to talk faster than JY from 7sage but I was able to identify the parts of the argument and use POE to find the correct answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 pm

InterLaw wrote:
I don't, but probably they do!
Thank you, fine sir.

TheKingLives

Bronze

Post by TheKingLives » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Last edited by TheKingLives on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:09 pm

On a scale of 1 to 10 how acceptable is shitposting in this thread?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Whatever it takes to pass 2020's 419 pages.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Cool, because I was wondering: would being Grammy-winning visionary artist 2 Chainz be a "good soft" or a "bad soft" (assuming decent LSAT/GPA)? Would "being 2 Chainz" be considered good work experience?

Follow-up: same question but Fred Willard.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am

Last edited by InterLaw on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am

came here to see why our applicants thread was bumped since it's so close to the beginning of 1L.

realized it was 2021 and y'all gunnin hard

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:32 am

InterLaw wrote:
- DO NOT QUOTE! -

Quote this Koala if you want to answer!
Use 2 academic for sure, throw in the work one if they show three, don't use the high school one. Also make sure your recommenders supervised you in a meaningful capacity. If they were not grading your work and couldn't fire you, it might not be what law schools are looking for.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:34 am

rowdy wrote:Cool, because I was wondering: would being Grammy-winning visionary artist 2 Chainz be a "good soft" or a "bad soft" (assuming decent LSAT/GPA)? Would "being 2 Chainz" be considered good work experience?

If you were applying as 2 Chainz, would you make it the subject of your personal statement? Or is that too obvious?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 am

rowdy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
- DO NOT QUOTE! -

Use 2 academic for sure, throw in the work one if they show three, don't use the high school one. Also make sure your recommenders supervised you in a meaningful capacity. If they were not grading your work and couldn't fire you, it might not be what law schools are looking for.
I'd agree, don't use the last one. Use your best 2 for sure and if your 3rd best is still really, really strong go use it as well. 4 is just too much and high school is too far away from LS.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am

InterLaw wrote:
- DO NOT QUOTE! -

For LORs, relation to the recommender and their academic status are very important. If you didn't have a personal relationship with the Ivy person (aka took their class or TA'd for them), I wouldn't use it. Conventional admissions wisdom says that a good LOR from an undergrad prof that you liked/got an A in their class is better than an 'important' looking LOR from a senator or diplomat. So, possibly those first two are good, but the Ivy boss person gives me a little pause.

Don't use your high school one. Also, I'd recommend against using LORs that you've read, simply because I feel like that looks kind of funny (since you have to tell LSAC if you waived your right to see the LORs).

rowdy wrote:
"Being 2 Chainz" is actually the first line on my resume. It worked well for apps last cycle, so I can only think it's a good soft

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am

rowdy wrote:Cool, because I was wondering: would being Grammy-winning visionary artist 2 Chainz be a "good soft" or a "bad soft" (assuming decent LSAT/GPA)? Would "being 2 Chainz" be considered good work experience?

I feel like this is a fairly strong soft, actually. With a solid LSAT/GPA I think 2 Chainz def has a solid shot at NU with $$, he has significant work experience, and a lot of it seems to be in the uh financial services sector, which as we all know is what NU loves to see. He might need to write a C&F addendum though, just to clarify that even though he has in the past had crack no matter where he's at, that will not carry over into his legal career.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am

Maybe not the best thread to ask this, but does anyone have an idea of which schools YP and when you are in danger (numerically)of getting YP WL'd? I don't really have any great reasons to write a why X atm, but I'd hate to get WL'd from a school I'm considering for a dumb reason

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:Maybe not the best thread to ask this, but does anyone have an idea of which schools YP and when you are in danger (numerically)of getting YP WL'd? I don't really have any great reasons to write a why X atm, but I'd hate to get WL'd from a school I'm considering for a dumb reason
Yes, lots of collective knowledge in this thread both from applicants and lurkers who have been recycling.

What schools are you considering and what are your stats?

Edit: I see your stats. What schools?

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am

Blanketing T13, GULC, with BC as a safety option. Ideally, I'd like to take a "lower" T13 with as close to 100K debt as possible
Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”