TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Delano

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Delano » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:14 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:RE: Schools who have a few spots for Fall... Would it be at sticker?
Yes. Except, I kid you not, Arizona Summit sent me an email offering a full ride starting this fall. (For context AS is in danger of losing ABA accreditation.)
I'm lowkey tempted to take UCLA's spot. I'm in LA. I want to stay in LA after school. It's not an awful idea...
But if you could get in now, you could get in and pay less next year. Schools admitting at this point are just taking out loans from their future classes--they will probably need you more next year.
Yeah, anything you could get now would almost certainly be substantially worse than if you applied on time next cycle.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:23 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you both!

And Jimmy, based on what I read so far we basically share schools in which we are interested, aim for DC area and government related job (kind of, being international makes things more tricky for me)!

I'd love to land in UVA but for what I can see they are pretty much international adverse... They have a couple of dd that are amazingly perfect for me (especially the one with Johns Hopkins SAIS).
Do you think UVA is the best top14 (grant me this label for now) in terms of DC placement after GULC? (Y/H excluded maybe)
I'd even say that UVA is better than GULC for DC placement, especially for DC biglaw. Excluding H/Y, I'd put it UVA followed by Duke for DC.

I'm actually aiming for Fed Clerk followed by a stint in Big law but eventually want to get into government/politics far down the road (and before the don't go to law school for politics circle jerk comes in, I want to practice for a significant amount of time and just want to have it in my back pocket for later down the road. I'm not Ferris).
Agree with most of what is here, except I'm not sure I'd be comfortable placing Duke above GULC for DC biglaw. To be fair to GTTTTown, they actually place a large number of people in DC biglaw/gov't, it just looks worse percentage-wise because of their astronomically large class size.
Well, that makes UVA earn some positions in my target list I think!

I was looking at mylsn and they are definitely the most international adverse in the t20 though... :cry:

However, speaking of early applications, I'm finding huge advantages between international students! I'm going to show you some research during the weekend (I have a paper to submit tomorrow), but for the moment let's just say that at UVA during the last 3 cycles:

Tot. Internationals admitted: 6/44 (...)
Timing Aug-Nov: 5/16!
Timing Dec-April: 1/28!
(Meaning that you have 10x more chances of being admitted early than mid-late as an international... Not bad!)

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 am

Checking in good luck to everyone

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you both!

And Jimmy, based on what I read so far we basically share schools in which we are interested, aim for DC area and government related job (kind of, being international makes things more tricky for me)!

I'd love to land in UVA but for what I can see they are pretty much international adverse... They have a couple of dd that are amazingly perfect for me (especially the one with Johns Hopkins SAIS).
Do you think UVA is the best top14 (grant me this label for now) in terms of DC placement after GULC? (Y/H excluded maybe)
I'd even say that UVA is better than GULC for DC placement, especially for DC biglaw. Excluding H/Y, I'd put it UVA followed by Duke for DC.

I'm actually aiming for Fed Clerk followed by a stint in Big law but eventually want to get into government/politics far down the road (and before the don't go to law school for politics circle jerk comes in, I want to practice for a significant amount of time and just want to have it in my back pocket for later down the road. I'm not Ferris).
Agree with most of what is here, except I'm not sure I'd be comfortable placing Duke above GULC for DC biglaw. To be fair to GTTTTown, they actually place a large number of people in DC biglaw/gov't, it just looks worse percentage-wise because of their astronomically large class size.
Well, that makes UVA earn some positions in my target list I think!

I was looking at mylsn and they are definitely the most international adverse in the t20 though... :cry:

However, speaking of early applications, I'm finding huge advantages between international students! I'm going to show you some research during the weekend (I have a paper to submit tomorrow), but for the moment let's just say that at UVA during the last 3 cycles:

Tot. Internationals admitted: 6/44 (...)
Timing Aug-Nov: 5/16!
Timing Dec-April: 1/28!
(Meaning that you have 10x more chances of being admitted early than mid-late as an international... Not bad!)
Hey, its worth a shot! I'll be making the UVA C/O 2021 applicants thread soon where we can beat all of the admissions numbers to death.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Hey, its worth a shot! I'll be making the UVA C/O 2021 applicants thread soon where we can beat all of the admissions numbers to death.
Can't wait 8) 8) 8)

I can't stop thinking about Admission Officers reading our posts interpreting numbers, patterns, strategies and so on, and laughing while deciding who to admit and who don't on human / common sense basis, during informal meetings at Starbuck's.

(Just kidding, they are basically super-calculators matching tons of variables through well-studied algorithms).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

did it for this cycle so I figured I'd make the NYU 2021 applicants thread

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=279625

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Will we be able to create new C/O 2021 threads with informative OPs and the pictures and links or did dyebri mess it up for all of us

Edit: Looks like it's being taken care of!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Making a WUSTL thread since they've already started reaching out for interviews

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:Making a WUSTL thread since they've already started reaching out for interviews
I interviewed already over Skype! The admissions gal is super nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm

rowdy wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:Making a WUSTL thread since they've already started reaching out for interviews
Me too, yesterday! Stand by for thread

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:53 pm

rowdy wrote:
Are they reaching out to y'all for interviews for Fall 2017, or Fall 2018?? Seems a bit premature for Fall 18 right?

I interviewed with them in January for 2017, and everyone was super nice

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

rowdy wrote:
Are they reaching out to y'all for interviews for Fall 2017, or Fall 2018?? Seems a bit premature for Fall 18 right?

I interviewed with them in January for 2017, and everyone was super nice
Fall '18. The interview counts for that application.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Wait just kidding I can't post images til 100 posts I think, someone else make the WUSTL 2021 thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Making the UChicago thread!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm

I'll make some thread when I get back in the office today. It's too hard to type on my phone and I should be doing (insert work activity) right now anyways.

New

Post by 88888888 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Checking in. Excited :D

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Just opened GULC thread, basically copied Jimmy new UVA thread structure because last year's GULC thread had nothing informative in OP...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Both of my LOR Profs have been MIA all month and aren't returning emails so I'm reaching out to my backup. One of them I know won't have a problem writing sometime before Sept. 1st but the other is a bit more aloof and is known to take a really long time to write LORs.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Both of my LOR Profs have been MIA all month and aren't returning emails so I'm reaching out to my backup. One of them I know won't have a problem writing sometime before Sept. 1st but the other is a bit more aloof and is known to take a really long time to write LORs.
I have yet to email mine. It's the only component of my App that I haven't done. SOS

FELLOW NON-TRADS: How are you approaching reaching out to professors who haven't physically seen you in years?

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Checking in. Good luck to everyone.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Both of my LOR Profs have been MIA all month and aren't returning emails so I'm reaching out to my backup. One of them I know won't have a problem writing sometime before Sept. 1st but the other is a bit more aloof and is known to take a really long time to write LORs.
I have yet to email mine. It's the only component of my App that I haven't done. SOS

FELLOW NON-TRADS: How are you approaching reaching out to professors who haven't physically seen you in years?
I've been sliding up out of a sewer grate while they walk their dogs at 6AM

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:21 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

brb. moving to the east coast to stalk my professors.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Platopus wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”