TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
heyduchess

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 pm

dm1683 wrote:Speaking of forums (fora?), anyone planning to attend the Chicago one? It's at the palmer house, which is GORGEOUS. I will have to see what my schedule looks like for classes that day (It's a tuesday smh).
Same for LA. Come find me at the forum! I'll be the one who looks like Cher Horowitz. (I'm not even kidding on that one.)

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 pm

heyduchess wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Speaking of forums (fora?), anyone planning to attend the Chicago one? It's at the palmer house, which is GORGEOUS. I will have to see what my schedule looks like for classes that day (It's a tuesday smh).
Same for LA. Come find me at the forum! I'll be the one who looks like Cher Horowitz. (I'm not even kidding on that one.)
Looking like Alicia Silverstone is impressive. I wish I looked like Lauren Bacall. I guess I'm tall like her...

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 pm

heyduchess wrote:
If I have to travel to attend a forum where should I go? Or is it even worth it?

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
If I have to travel to attend a forum where should I go? Or is it even worth it?
Okay I am prepared to fight for Chicago against all comers LOL.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:44 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
tbh, if I needed to travel, I would map out which city gives me the most realistic schools to hit up!

If Berkeley and Stanford are in your reach, go there. USC and UCLA? Come hang with me! NYC and Chicago would be good options, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Well this is the first Im hearing about it so Im not going to say ill definitely be there, but Im seriously considering it now...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
The only reason I chose DC over other locations is its the only one that takes place before apps are open. I'm planning on applying to most schools September 1st at midnight and going to a forum after that would be pretty pointless.

I'm also considering visiting Duke/UVA in August but I think that might be overkill.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote: I'm planning on applying to most schools September 1st at midnight
I take this as an excuse to discuss some technical matter with anyone who might be better informed than me and willing to help me with some suggestion:
1) Does it exist a point when it's too early to apply? When is it early enough?
I could have a small delay with a transcript that I might have to send lsac (I might not, just asked) and which would probably be evaluated in my file the first weeks of October. Would that actually infer with my admission process?

2) Is it bad to have more than one addendum attached to my file? I could need an addendum explaining a couple of bad points in my transcripts, but as far as I heard an addendum to specify my first-generation-studentness could be useful, and I definitely want to add "why X" essays where I can. Too much?

3) Is it bad to write in my "why x" statements that I'm interested in a particular school also because of the double degree it offers, being interested in JD/MPP or JD/MA in IR or similar tracks? I know what the mainstream opinion is here about such joint degrees (if you want to be a lawyer the dd is useless, if you don't want to be a lawyer JD is useless), but what I'm asking is if you think that explicitly referring to those options (which are offered by many schools) could hae a counter outcome because it could seem that I am not interested in the school itself but in the opportunity to go to an affiliated school (inside or outside the University to which the Law School in question belongs). It is clearly not the case and I absolutely don't mean it, but I don't want it to be something an Admission Office could think because it isn't actually a "merit" of the school itself... I don't know if I made myself clear enough, anyway any suggestion would be really appreciated!

Mazeltov!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 am

InterLaw wrote:
I take this as an excuse to discuss some technical matter with anyone who might be better informed than me and willing to help me with some suggestion:

No. Apply as early as you can have your application ready. That being said, don't rush things like PS/extra essays.
I could have a small delay with a transcript that I might have to send lsac (I might not, just asked) and which would probably be evaluated in my file the first weeks of October. Would that actually infer with my admission process?
Your file will not be reviewed until it is complete - so if you don't have your transcript to them, and it is required, it will delay your application until it shows up and gets processed by them.

2) Is it bad to have more than one addendum attached to my file? I could need an addendum explaining a couple of bad points in my transcripts, but as far as I heard an addendum to specify my first-generation-studentness could be useful, and I definitely want to add "why X" essays where I can. Too much?
Most schools make it very clear in their application what is/isn't allowed as far as addenda for that specific school. Go by what they say - if they don't explicitly allow it, come back here and ask someone who applied to that specific school (and got in) for a given cycle. I think there is a list in one of the admissions threads that highlights which schools look favorably on Why X's.

3) Is it bad to write in my "why x" statements that I'm interested in a particular school also because of the double degree it offers, being interested in JD/MPP or JD/MA in IR or similar tracks? I know what the mainstream opinion is here about such joint degrees (if you want to be a lawyer the dd is useless, if you don't want to be a lawyer JD is useless), but what I'm asking is if you think that explicitly referring to those options (which are offered by many schools) could hae a counter outcome because it could seem that I am not interested in the school itself but in the opportunity to go to an affiliated school (inside or outside the University to which the Law School in question belongs). It is clearly not the case and I absolutely don't mean it, but I don't want it to be something an Admission Office could think because it isn't actually a "merit" of the school itself... I don't know if I made myself clear enough, anyway any suggestion would be really appreciated!

Personal opinion here: I would avoid the whole joint degree discussion in a why X if at all possible - I would hope that if it's a school you really want to go to, there are many reasons for that preference, and I think almost all of them would be more compelling in a *law school* application than why you like their joint program. Others may disagree with me.

Mazeltov!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 am

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote: I'm planning on applying to most schools September 1st at midnight

Mazeltov!
1. I don't think you can apply too early once apps open which for most schools is September 1st. Now many (most?) schools don't seriously look at apps until October/November so there isn't too much of a point in applying immediately, but UVA and Duke are exceptions (especially if you have Duke priority tack, invites should go out mid/late August). Every year there is someone who gets admitted on the first day and most people who apply day one to these schools get a decsion REALLY quickly. That said, before thanksgiving is still considered early at even Duke/UVA so waiting until October shouldn't seriously hurt your chances, it just might take longer to get a decision.

2. I don't think this is a problem, but I am no expert. I'd ask this question in the Spivey thread.

3. As long as you tie the dual degree programs back to the specific schools somehow (talk about profs and accomplishments of the other degree's department etc.). If they have a truly unique program that you are interested in defintely mention that and go into detail. What I wouldn't do is make the entire essay about the dual degree program, but I think a couple lines about why it interests you could add to the essay.

I'm interested in a dual MA/JD as well (leaning towards no but still thinking about it). I think I would only do it if I could somehow do both degrees in the normal 3 years so I don't get out of sync with OCI and other hiring. UVA has a JD/MA in Government that only takes 3.5 years so I wonder if you can just do classes your 1L summer and then graduate in 3 years.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:59 am

Question...

I got a 169 and am now retaking in September. I should wait until October to apply, right? That way my application will go as soon as I know my scores.

That's the earliest I could/should apply, right?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm

heyduchess wrote:Question...

I got a 169 and am now retaking in September. I should wait until October to apply, right? That way my application will go as soon as I know my scores.

There are different schools of thought on this, but I think you'll be fine applying the day you get your score back in October. Before November/Thanksgiving is still definitely early.

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit applying earlier than that. With a 169 (i forget your GPA) you'll be fine at most schools. I applied with a 168 in January and got in pretty much everywhere last year. It'll probably make the whole process simpler if you apply after your boosted September score. You could apply earlier and let the admissions offices know you were retaking in Sept, but I honestly don't think it'll matter much either way.

I'd be of the persuasion to put application prep on hold so you can 100% focus on LSAT prep, and then take care of apps in the 3-4 weeks waiting for scores

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:

There are different schools of thought on this, but I think you'll be fine applying the day you get your score back in October. Before November/Thanksgiving is still definitely early.

I don't really see a whole lot of benefit applying earlier than that. With a 169 (i forget your GPA) you'll be fine at most schools. I applied with a 168 in January and got in pretty much everywhere last year. It'll probably make the whole process simpler if you apply after your boosted September score. You could apply earlier and let the admissions offices know you were retaking in Sept, but I honestly don't think it'll matter much either way.

I'd be of the persuasion to put application prep on hold so you can 100% focus on LSAT prep, and then take care of apps in the 3-4 weeks waiting for scores
It's a 3.16 :( I have really strong softs and a reason for a 3.16 I'm down to discuss in interviews (but won't make excuses for via addenda), but it's still ouch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 pm

heyduchess wrote:

It's a 3.16 :( I have really strong softs and a reason for a 3.16 I'm down to discuss in interviews (but won't make excuses for via addenda), but it's still ouch.
In that case, I'm firmly in the wait until September scores camp. No point applying until you've got the best chance, especially if it will still be considered 'early'.

Also splitter decisions typically come a bit later than outright-admits, so the delay should have essentially 0 impact

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm

heyduchess wrote:

In that case, I'm firmly in the wait until September scores camp. No point applying until you've got the best chance, especially if it will still be considered 'early'.

Also splitter decisions typically come a bit later than outright-admits, so the delay should have essentially 0 impact
+180

BTW Dutchess my Superprep II has crossed out answers on every question, circles on about a fourth of the questions, and heavy LG diagramming which is probably the most annoying part. This is all in PT C2, rest of the book hasn't been touched. Not sure if you are still interested.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

+180

BTW Dutchess my Superprep II has crossed out answers on every question, circles on about a fourth of the questions, and heavy LG diagramming which is probably the most annoying part. This is all in PT C2, rest of the book hasn't been touched. Not sure if you are still interested.
Potentially! I haven't quite nailed down my retake prep strategy yet.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you both!

And Jimmy, based on what I read so far we basically share schools in which we are interested, aim for DC area and government related job (kind of, being international makes things more tricky for me)!

I'd love to land in UVA but for what I can see they are pretty much international adverse... They have a couple of dd that are amazingly perfect for me (especially the one with Johns Hopkins SAIS).
Do you think UVA is the best top14 (grant me this label for now) in terms of DC placement after GULC? (Y/H excluded maybe)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you both!

And Jimmy, based on what I read so far we basically share schools in which we are interested, aim for DC area and government related job (kind of, being international makes things more tricky for me)!

I'd love to land in UVA but for what I can see they are pretty much international adverse... They have a couple of dd that are amazingly perfect for me (especially the one with Johns Hopkins SAIS).
Do you think UVA is the best top14 (grant me this label for now) in terms of DC placement after GULC? (Y/H excluded maybe)
I'd even say that UVA is better than GULC for DC placement, especially for DC biglaw. Excluding H/Y, I'd put it UVA followed by Duke for DC.

I'm actually aiming for Fed Clerk followed by a stint in Big law but eventually want to get into government/politics far down the road (and before the don't go to law school for politics circle jerk comes in, I want to practice for a significant amount of time and just want to have it in my back pocket for later down the road. I'm not Ferris).

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Thank you both!

I'd even say that UVA is better than GULC for DC placement, especially for DC biglaw. Excluding H/Y, I'd put it UVA followed by Duke for DC.

I'm actually aiming for Fed Clerk followed by a stint in Big law but eventually want to get into government/politics far down the road (and before the don't go to law school for politics circle jerk comes in, I want to practice for a significant amount of time and just want to have it in my back pocket for later down the road. I'm not Ferris).
Agree with most of what is here, except I'm not sure I'd be comfortable placing Duke above GULC for DC biglaw. To be fair to GTTTTown, they actually place a large number of people in DC biglaw/gov't, it just looks worse percentage-wise because of their astronomically large class size.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm

RE: Schools who have a few spots for Fall... Would it be at sticker?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm

heyduchess wrote:RE: Schools who have a few spots for Fall... Would it be at sticker?
Yes. Except, I kid you not, Arizona Summit sent me an email offering a full ride starting this fall. (For context AS is in danger of losing ABA accreditation.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:RE: Schools who have a few spots for Fall... Would it be at sticker?
Yes. Except, I kid you not, Arizona Summit sent me an email offering a full ride starting this fall. (For context AS is in danger of losing ABA accreditation.)
I'm lowkey tempted to take UCLA's spot. I'm in LA. I want to stay in LA after school. It's not an awful idea...

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

heyduchess wrote:
rowdy wrote:
I'm lowkey tempted to take UCLA's spot. I'm in LA. I want to stay in LA after school. It's not an awful idea...
But if you could get in now, you could get in and pay less next year. Schools admitting at this point are just taking out loans from their future classes--they will probably need you more next year.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:54 pm

God the lawyers club at mich looks so nice. This will impact my decision more than it should lol.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm

rowdy wrote:
But if you could get in now, you could get in and pay less next year. Schools admitting at this point are just taking out loans from their future classes--they will probably need you more next year.
Great point, rowdy. Here's to hoping for another year of meh LSAT scores!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”