TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pancakes4ever

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by pancakes4ever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:44 pm

of2273 wrote:Can someone walk me through what it's like to visit a law school admissions office? Outside of a regular, schedule tour, do you just talk to the admissions people about your application and show interest in the school? Do they then show you around?
It's mostly a Q&A that you lead - go prepared with several questions on the school and as the conversation organically progresses from those, you can throw in information about yourself/why you're interested in the school. Show you've done your research. Good luck!

pancakes4ever

New

Post by pancakes4ever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 pm

I asked this on Reddit as well, but wasn't sure which was a better forum for this Q, so here goes:

I've heard back from some schools so far, but am still waiting to hear back from six more. I have some recent resume updates (promoted at my company effective Jan 1 and was inducted as an "official" member of a national service organization in December that I've been volunteering with for months).

My question is - should I send a brief email with my updated resume to those remaining six schools (plus my top choice for potential scholarship consideration)? I've been under review at all of them for a few months now, so could sending an update hurt me? Appreciate any input!!

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm

pancakes4ever wrote:I asked this on Reddit as well, but wasn't sure which was a better forum for this Q, so here goes:

I've heard back from some schools so far, but am still waiting to hear back from six more. I have some recent resume updates (promoted at my company effective Jan 1 and was inducted as an "official" member of a national service organization in December that I've been volunteering with for months).

My question is - should I send a brief email with my updated resume to those remaining six schools (plus my top choice for potential scholarship consideration)? I've been under review at all of them for a few months now, so could sending an update hurt me? Appreciate any input!!
Yes! Most (All) schools say you should update them of any changes to your application. These things can only help you be more noticed!
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes4ever

New

Post by pancakes4ever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm

kippercd wrote:
pancakes4ever wrote:I asked this on Reddit as well, but wasn't sure which was a better forum for this Q, so here goes:

Yes! Most (All) schools say you should update them of any changes to your application. These things can only help you be more noticed!
You the best, thank you for responding!

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm refreshing my email at work every 10 minutes and all I've gotten is a fee waiver email from Michigan (which I already used...over a week ago) and a bunch of other fee waivers/promo emails from schools I don't want to go to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wolfonlawstreet

Bronze

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

vikingrunner wrote:I'm refreshing my email at work every 10 minutes and all I've gotten is a fee waiver email from Michigan (which I already used...over a week ago) and a bunch of other fee waivers/promo emails from schools I don't want to go to.
Soliciting can be somewhat/very successful! I would recommend that :)
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Do you guys think it's too early to ask for more scholarship money? I received about a 90% scholarship at MSU. They're the only school that has gotten back to me so far, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up attending unless another school beats their offer. They accepted me about 3 weeks ago, and since then my GPA went up a minuscule amount (from 3.69 to 3.71) and my LSAT score went up by a point. I want to ask them if they would bump me up to a full tuition scholarship, but is it too soon to ask?

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
vikingrunner wrote:I'm refreshing my email at work every 10 minutes and all I've gotten is a fee waiver email from Michigan (which I already used...over a week ago) and a bunch of other fee waivers/promo emails from schools I don't want to go to.
Soliciting can be somewhat/very successful! I would recommend that :)
I'm fine on fee waivers, I just want a damn decision (good or bad).

I am at "Decision Rendered" on the U of San Diego status checker but of course they go via snail mail and their status checker doesn't say which decision.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm

TLS wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:Thanks everyone! I must admit, I feel really weird about this because I already got into Y, and am already set on going there #firstworldproblems
shhh don't! Bask in the feeling of knowing that 1) you have PHENOMENAL options, and 2) that you are wanted by the top schools in the country. Be proud of yourself and your accomplishments and kill it in your JS1 regardless of whether or not your headed to Y! We're rooting for you!
Holy crap you're amazing! This is the boost I needed--Just scheduled my JS1!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:18 pm

mmart207 wrote:Do you guys think it's too early to ask for more scholarship money? I received about a 90% scholarship at MSU. They're the only school that has gotten back to me so far, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up attending unless another school beats their offer. They accepted me about 3 weeks ago, and since then my GPA went up a minuscule amount (from 3.69 to 3.71) and my LSAT score went up by a point. I want to ask them if they would bump me up to a full tuition scholarship, but is it too soon to ask?
Too early. February seems to be when people begin negotiating as you will probably have a couple other offers in hand by then.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
mmart207 wrote:Do you guys think it's too early to ask for more scholarship money? I received about a 90% scholarship at MSU. They're the only school that has gotten back to me so far, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up attending unless another school beats their offer. They accepted me about 3 weeks ago, and since then my GPA went up a minuscule amount (from 3.69 to 3.71) and my LSAT score went up by a point. I want to ask them if they would bump me up to a full tuition scholarship, but is it too soon to ask?
Too early. February seems to be when people begin negotiating as you will probably have a couple other offers in hand by then.
Figured. Thank you!

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 pm

vikingrunner wrote: I am at "Decision Rendered" on the U of San Diego status checker but of course they go via snail mail and their status checker doesn't say which decision.
IN VIA EMAIL. THERE IS A GOD. #America'sFinestCity

Now 16 (at least) more of those, please.

wolfonlawstreet

Bronze

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 pm

vikingrunner wrote:
vikingrunner wrote: I am at "Decision Rendered" on the U of San Diego status checker but of course they go via snail mail and their status checker doesn't say which decision.
IN VIA EMAIL. THERE IS A GOD. #America'sFinestCity

Now 16 (at least) more of those, please.

Congrats!!! :)
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 pm

So how necessary is it to check status checkers frequently? Should I be checking every single day? Or bother checking within the first four weeks of submission? Since most of my apps are in, I’ve been busy with other things so it doesn’t occur to me to check the status tracker but everyone here seems to be doing it at least once a day.

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:So how necessary is it to check status checkers frequently? Should I be checking every single day? Or bother checking within the first four weeks of submission? Since most of my apps are in, I’ve been busy with other things so it doesn’t occur to me to check the status tracker but everyone here seems to be doing it at least once a day.
You don't have to check at all. Every school will either email or call you for the decision
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am

AvatarMeelo wrote:So how necessary is it to check status checkers frequently? Should I be checking every single day? Or bother checking within the first four weeks of submission? Since most of my apps are in, I’ve been busy with other things so it doesn’t occur to me to check the status tracker but everyone here seems to be doing it at least once a day.
Your position is akin to being the only non-smoker in a group of people hopelessly addicted to nicotine. If you don't feel the urge to check, continue to avoid it. It can consume you.

Dickens

New

Post by Dickens » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 am

Bojack93 wrote:
Your position is akin to being the only non-smoker in a group of people hopelessly addicted to nicotine. If you don't feel the urge to check, continue to avoid it. It can consume you.
lol for real

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Bojack93 wrote:
this analogy is perfect

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Bojack93 wrote:

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Seriously.... 11 emails from Mississippi College School of Law in the last hour is about 12 more than I need... ever.
Last edited by Eleven on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Eleven wrote:Seriously.... 11 emails from Mississippi College School of Law in the last hours is about 12 more than I need... ever.
+1, hit that unsubscribe button real quick!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Bojack93 wrote:
I love this. Wish there were patches I can distribute to all of you guys!

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Just started creating my CSS profile and I have what is probably a simple question: It's okay to leave the College Assigned ID portion blank right? The schools I've been admitted to don't seem to have included an ID for me anywhere in the acceptance materials.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Bojack93 wrote:
I love this. Wish there were patches I can distribute to all of you guys!
I created this spreadsheet full of, um, patches for us:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Now our smoke breaks only take half the time! (Not sure if something like this exists, but I got frustrated having to go and find every link any time I wanted to check so I created it.)

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm

So I'm a K-JD, and I just got my fall grades, which bump me from a 3.94ish to a solid 3.95+. How exactly would I go about sending my fall grades to law schools? Do I need to re-purchase my official transcript? Or is it okay to just email them an unofficial one? Thanks!

EDIT: No law school has actually requested them. Do you think it's worth sending anyway?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”