TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:37 am

Little over two weeks til apps go live! All I need to complete my apps is one more LOR and a couple Why X essays which I should have done this week. And the LOR should be covered since I asked 3 profs, one is bound to get things in on time :lol:

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Little over two weeks til apps go live! All I need to complete my apps is one more LOR and a couple Why X essays which I should have done this week. And the LOR should be covered since I asked 3 profs, one is bound to get things in on time :lol:
Applying early is huge, you're in a good spot.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 pm

selmangh wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:
Guys just FYI I started an International Applicants thread... Let's share some thoughts there!

I uploaded an excel sheet on which I've been working for some time...

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Speaking of applying on 9/1, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm trying to decide whether to apply asap or wait until October; the reason I'd wait is because I only have one academic LOR atm. I think I can get another one, but I have to build more of a repetoir with my prof and ask him around October. Any advice?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 pm

KJD so I'm definitely gonna wait then. Thanks for the advice!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 am

Just about wrapped up my personal statement, diversity statement and addendum and requested my recommendations. Can't believe it's almost time.

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update on merit based fee waivers for 2017!

Merit waiver solicited and received
UVA (took five minutes to respond!) SMU

Solicited, response was to wait on LSAC Candidate Service
UMich

Solicited, not confirmed yet
Duke, Vandy, GULC (Response: they are open to requests for merit-waivers but won't be reviewing them for several weeks. Probably closer to Sept 15)

Unsolicited, received through email
UCLA, WUSTL, GMU, and of course Northwestern is free if you are early.

carmtastic

New

Post by carmtastic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 pm

demos9 wrote:Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update on merit based fee waivers for 2017!

UMich

Duke, Vandy, GULC (Response: they are open to requests for merit-waivers but won't be reviewing them for several weeks. Probably closer to Sept 15)

What's the template you use to solicit fee waivers? Wasn't sure how I should write it and if I should wait till apps open to start emailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Got a second letter of rec uploaded today! Everything is ready to go live except for 3 more Why X statements, but I should be able to churn those out pretty fast. Really glad that everything should be taken care of before class starts up again next week.

calvinna

New

Post by calvinna » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 am

What's the template you use to solicit fee waivers? Wasn't sure how I should write it and if I should wait till apps open to start emailing.[/quote]

I found this quite helpful http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ivers.html

Here is the meat of it:
To: admissions@lawschool.edu (check each school’s website for the address)

Re: Application Fee Waiver

Hello,

I have a quick question – I was wondering if School X offered merit-based application fee waivers, and if I would qualify for one. My information is:

LSDAS GPA: x.xx

LSAT SCORE: xxx

LSAC ACCOUNT NUMBER: Lxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your time,

Hopeful Law Student

I did this and got a waiver within a few days from Virginia, Cornell, Michigan (though they said I would have to sign up for CRS) and Duke and Georgetown said they would consider it once applications open. Free money!

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 am

carmtastic wrote:
demos9 wrote:Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update on merit based fee waivers for 2017!

UMich

What's the template you use to solicit fee waivers? Wasn't sure how I should write it and if I should wait till apps open to start emailing.
Something along the lines of:

"Hello,

I wanted to ask if XXXXXXX offers merit based fee waivers. If so, might be considered eligible for one?

LSAT:
GPA:
LSAC#:

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to applying.

Best,
Demos9"

I haven't sent a request yet to HYSCCN, UPenn, Berkley, or Cornell. Seems like they might be less likely to in the first place and Duke PT is likely coming around the time their apps open anyway.

Has anyone had success with Merit waivers form UPenn, Berkley?

Edit: Vanderbilt waiver just came in.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 am

demos9 wrote:
carmtastic wrote:

UMich

Something along the lines of:

"Hello,

I wanted to ask if XXXXXXX offers merit based fee waivers. If so, might be considered eligible for one?

LSAT:
GPA:
LSAC#:

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to applying.

Best,
Demos9"

I haven't sent a request yet to HYSCCN, UPenn, Berkley, or Cornell. Seems like they might be less likely to in the first place and Duke PT is likely coming around the time their apps open anyway.

Has anyone had success with Merit waivers form UPenn, Berkley?

Edit: Vanderbilt waiver just came in.
Perhaps also attach your resume for consideration? Speaking of which, do you tailor your resume according to each school's resume requirements?
Harvard requires one page, while UChi has the following:
We require a detailed resume containing your educational history, extracurricular activities, community and volunteer activities, and all full or part-time work experience. Please indicate the time spent each week on each activity or employment position. If your education or employment history has been interrupted for more than a normal vacation period, you should describe your activities during that time. You will be able to upload your resume in the “Attachments” section of the application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

Is there a list floating around of scholarships available at each T-14/20? Thanks :mrgreen:

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Likelihood of being rejected after soliciting a fee waiver if you are below both medians??

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Is there a list floating around of scholarships available at each T-14/20? Thanks :mrgreen:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=144338

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm

e: scooped

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:18 pm

MrAdultman wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Is there a list floating around of scholarships available at each T-14/20? Thanks :mrgreen:
Thanks! Some of the links/information isn't up to date but still helpful.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:19 pm

MrAdultman wrote:
Disclaimer: some of that is not up to date. Generally, most school's offer some variation of a dean's scholarship, and the tiering of those can be deduced by looking on LSN. Generally starting at something like 15k and increasing in 15k increments. They also usually offer a mostly merit based named full ride and some sort of public interest full ride

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:51 am

About the personal statement: absolutely within 2 pages in length? I'm like at 2 pages and a paragraph, do I need to cut it? :cry:

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Has anyone received a PT invite from Duke or successfully solicited one? It seemed like people had already been invited by this time last year...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 pm

InterLaw wrote:About the personal statement: absolutely within 2 pages in length? I'm like at 2 pages and a paragraph, do I need to cut it? :cry:
Some schools, like UCLA, are much stricter than others. And some schools, like Berkeley, encourage you to hit "ideally 4."

You might have to tweak based on the school and its specifications.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:20 pm

heyduchess wrote:
InterLaw wrote:About the personal statement: absolutely within 2 pages in length? I'm like at 2 pages and a paragraph, do I need to cut it? :cry:
Some schools, like UCLA, are much stricter than others. And some schools, like Berkeley, encourage you to hit "ideally 4."

Personally, I kept my PS to near the bottom of the second page for every school. Even for Berk, where I was accepted pretty quickly
Edit: just wanted to add, if a school says 2 pages max, do NOT go past the last line of the second page. They do not like people that they perceive either can't read or can't follow instructions

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

If a school has a limit and you want to submit something that goes over the limit because its just too perfect and you can't edit it down at all then, imo, you should also send it off to the new yorker to get it published. Oh, you don't think they would publish it? That means it can be edited down. Two cycles ago I didn't apply to very many schools and only one had a 2 page limit. I was pretty happy with my 2.5 page statement so I just submitted the same to them. In my interview they brought up my going over the limit in a way that suggested it was a definite mark against me.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

Personally, I kept my PS to near the bottom of the second page for every school. Even for Berk, where I was accepted pretty quickly
Edit: just wanted to add, if a school says 2 pages max, do NOT go past the last line of the second page. They do not like people that they perceive either can't read or can't follow instructions
That's good to hear. I was around 3 for Berkeley and I don't want to pull a Forever21. (Take something that's perfectly good as-is and add an extra embellishment that ruins the whole thing.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”