TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Delano

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:59 pm

rowdy wrote:
Delano wrote:Anyone started their Why X essays? :)
Just for my top choice so far. It's probably a good thing I have way more reasons for there than anywhere else.
Are there any TLS guides on how to write one? I'm kinda at a loss for how to start.
Also, anyone know what length they're usually supposed to be?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Just for my top choice so far. It's probably a good thing I have way more reasons for there than anywhere else.
Are there any TLS guides on how to write one? I'm kinda at a loss for how to start.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

First hit on google my friend

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:25 pm

rowdy wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

First hit on google my friend
:oops:
Thanks! Not sure why I overlooked that. :lol:

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Guys I miss so much all the lsat prep that I just decided to sign up for med school test in september in my country!

(I'm founding an association which will help high school students and freshmen with some mentoring/counseling related to university experience, and I want to be able to speak of that test, which here is a major deal: 53k applicants a year for 9k places...)

But yeah the main reason is that I can't stay without PTs no more... I'll go back to them in August, just with some biology in them! Wanted to share this emotional instability with you :mrgreen:

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Nope, Still need to write my personal statement. I'll probably write the Why X essays after next months forum, which should give me some stuff to talk about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slippin_jimmy

Gold

Post by slippin_jimmy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Have a consultation with Karen from Spivey Consulting Monday, I'm considering a full cycle package. I don't have the $$ for it so would have to take out extra undergrad loans but I think it might be a "profitable" decision. Outcomes at my goal schools vary from waitlist to near full ride with everything in between, and I also have an outside chance at Harvard. If I can ensure an optimal outcome it would probably be worth a couple thousand dollars.

Edit to add: Here are my chances
There's only room for 1 slippin' jimmy at HLS.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Is the subject of your PS made known to people outside the admissions department? Like, will the dean of students and professors at Chicago/Michigan/wherever be able to know that I'm the student who wrote about X? Concerned bc sensitive topic.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 pm

What's weird about checking in is that sometime later next year I'll be posting about my outcome in this same thread.

Hope it's not a retake...

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 pm

dm1683 wrote:Is the subject of your PS made known to people outside the admissions department? Like, will the dean of students and professors at Chicago/Michigan/wherever be able to know that I'm the student who wrote about X? Concerned bc sensitive topic.
I know Yale and Berkeley both do faculty review. Perhaps other schools do as well, but it's less publicized/institutionalized.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 pm

abujabal wrote:What's weird about checking in is that sometime later next year I'll be posting about my outcome in this same thread.

Well done on that avi

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:00 pm

rowdy wrote:
abujabal wrote:What's weird about checking in is that sometime later next year I'll be posting about my outcome in this same thread.

Well done on that avi
Hopefully will be editing it after October 12 to shift the focus to PS/apps, but yeah - sentiment applies.

On another note - my company stopped existing last week. Any thoughts on what I should be doing to earn an income in the hopefully 10 months between taking the Sept LSAT and matriculating?

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:06 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Have a consultation with Karen from Spivey Consulting Monday, I'm considering a full cycle package. I don't have the $$ for it so would have to take out extra undergrad loans but I think it might be a "profitable" decision. Outcomes at my goal schools vary from waitlist to near full ride with everything in between, and I also have an outside chance at Harvard. If I can ensure an optimal outcome it would probably be worth a couple thousand dollars.

Edit to add: Here are my chances
There's only room for 1 slippin' jimmy at HLS.
LOL.

Anyway, does either jimmy (o anyone else) think it's a good idea to pay for Spivey in my case
dm1683 wrote:
4.0/173 from a no name public university. History major.

LGBT, K-JD (although I graduate in Dec and will get a job for the eight months in between)

Below average softs except I have a unique personal situation (won't go into more detail bc it will out me) that I can write a strong PS about.

Applying to Stanford, CCN, Michigan, Penn and Northwestern.

Edit: chances
in order to maximize my chances at a Ruby or a Darrow? I'm extremely debt averse and if I can nab a full ride to a school that places heavily in my desired market I will jump for joy.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

dm1683 wrote: Anyway, does either jimmy (o anyone else) think it's a good idea to pay for Spivey in my case
dm1683 wrote:

LGBT, K-JD (although I graduate in Dec and will get a job for the eight months in between)

Below average softs except I have a unique personal situation (won't go into more detail bc it will out me) that I can write a strong PS about.

in order to maximize my chances at a Ruby or a Darrow? I'm extremely debt averse and if I can nab a full ride to a school that places heavily in my desired market I will jump for joy.
I'd be inclined to say full cycle wouldn't make tons of sense in your case. You don't sound like you're looking to ride out wait lists just to pay full price at HYS (where you might get in w/o waitlist anyways). If you feel like you need help putting together a compelling PS, DS, etc, that might be a better fit. Just my $0.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:16 pm

dm1683 wrote:Is the subject of your PS made known to people outside the admissions department? Like, will the dean of students and professors at Chicago/Michigan/wherever be able to know that I'm the student who wrote about X? Concerned bc sensitive topic.
Speculation, but outside of schools that do faculty review I highly doubt it. Profs are very busy and probably won't concern themselves with students' PSs unless they have to.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:17 pm

rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote: Anyway, does either jimmy (o anyone else) think it's a good idea to pay for Spivey in my case

I'd be inclined to say full cycle wouldn't make tons of sense in your case. You don't sound like you're looking to ride out wait lists just to pay full price at HYS (where you might get in w/o waitlist anyways). If you feel like you need help putting together a compelling PS, DS, etc, that might be a better fit. Just my $0.02
That's what I was thinking as well. It's just that the ruby is worth like 240k and leaves you with almost zero debt and a basically guaranteed federal clerkship. I will do whatever I can including sexual favors to get that thing.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm

dm1683 wrote: That's what I was thinking as well. It's just that the ruby is worth like 240k and leaves you with almost zero debt and a basically guaranteed federal clerkship. I will do whatever I can including sexual favors to get that thing.
For sure, if dog will hunt. Maybe just ask Spivey&co straight up if they think their services will help with that, or if they've ever gotten someone into that position before. I'm sure they'll tell you if and how they think they can help (or not).

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm

rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
I think Spivey is most useful for extreme splitters, non-traditional applicants, re-applicants, etc.
Fwiw, judging by LSN your odds of getting a Ruby are about two times better if you're not KJD. Not sure about Darrow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
I think Spivey is most useful for extreme splitters, non-traditional applicants, re-applicants, etc.
Fwiw, judging by LSN your odds of getting a Ruby are about two times better if you're not KJD. Not sure about Darrow.
Yeah, this is why I'm strongly considering a year off and either staying at my current retail job or finding something in banking or business, if that's possible. My parents would be furious, "why are you being so lazy and not going to school???" etc. but if it will help me significantly I'm willing to take their nagging for a year lol.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
Not to steal the topic here, but can you elaborate on when spivey might be good for reapplicants? I will be a reapplicant and could afford a consultant, but not sure if it's necessary?

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:40 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
Yeah, this is why I'm strongly considering a year off and either staying at my current retail job or finding something in banking or business, if that's possible. My parents would be furious, "why are you being so lazy and not going to school???" etc. but if it will help me significantly I'm willing to take their nagging for a year lol.
Yeah, my parents are like that as well. It's your life, not theirs - maybe if you show them the median age at t14s and explain how your odds at $$ increase they'd understand.
I don't think doing something fancy is too important - the increased life experience and maturity is a big factor on its own. You could always volunteer on the side to help out your softs and have some things to talk about in interviews.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
Not to steal the topic here, but can you elaborate on when spivey might be good for reapplicants? I will be a reapplicant and could afford a consultant, but not sure if it's necessary?
I was mainly referring to people are reapplying because they seriously under-performed their numbers when they applied the first time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Delano wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
Yeah, my parents are like that as well. It's your life, not theirs - maybe if you show them the median age at t14s and explain how your odds at $$ increase they'd understand.
I don't think doing something fancy is too important - the increased life experience and maturity is a big factor on its own. You could always volunteer on the side to help out your softs and have some things to talk about in interviews.
I'm not 100% inclined to agree. Maybe if dm underperforms her numbers, but if maturity, perspective, and life experience can be demonstrated in an application, the opportunity cost of waiting a year may not be worth it. You also never know as applications increase and LSAC makes changes what the same numbers will be worth in 1-2 years.

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Delano wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
I was mainly referring to people are reapplying because they seriously under-performed their numbers when they applied the first time.

Ohhh okay! I'm not in that boat. I probably did better for my numbers. Retaking and reapplying though, so I guess I'll see how it all plays out this round! Thanks!

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:50 pm

rowdy wrote:
Delano wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Delano wrote:
rowdy wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

+1
I'm not 100% inclined to agree. Maybe if dm underperforms her numbers, but if maturity, perspective, and life experience can be demonstrated in an application, the opportunity cost of waiting a year may not be worth it. You also never know as applications increase and LSAC makes changes what the same numbers will be worth in 1-2 years.
Yeah, I'm just going off of what LSN indicates. For whatever reason, KJDs do underperform relative to those a year or more out of school.
Not saying Dm should necessarily wait a year - She should do what she feels is best.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Hey everyone! We are doing this... ahh! So pumped :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”