TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Platopus

Gold

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Platopus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:55 am

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:11 am

Yo so advice would be appreciated here:

My company went belly up so from tomorrow onwards, I have nothing to do from 9-5. Thankfully, my housing is handled for the year before LS, but now I need a job after I take the LSAT (hoping to do nothing but LSAT for 2 months to get a 173+).

What are your thoughts on what I should do? Because I have zero clue.
Last edited by abujabal on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:29 am

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:34 am

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 am

Platopus wrote:Checkin' in!!

3.95+ / 173/ 2 years WE

I'll probably be blanketing the T-13 (minus a select couple of schools), and am really looking to get some $$$ for scholarships. Interested in clerking ---> general Chicago Biglaw, but not entirely dead set on this either.

Still considering a retake, since I'm probably out of contention for named scholarships (like a Ruby :D ) and don't want to leave $$$$ on the table, but I don't know if I can realistically do this before September (I really put work on the back burner for my June take). I also hit my PT average pretty much squarely on the head, so I think I would probably actually need to see the needle move on PT's before I was confident enough to retake.

Top choices are Chicago, Harvard (self-admitted preftige whore), & Northwestern
Plenty of 173s get Rubies, especially with that GPA - you're good. :)
abujabal wrote:Yo so advice would be appreciated here:
Working on a legal capacity of some sort (administrative assistant or paralegal at law firm or court or something like that) might be a good move.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:43 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:Checking in mates. Senior with 3.85, 171 & average softs. Not completely sure whether to apply this cycle though, because I want to crack YHS and feel like a year of volunteering (City Year or something similar) or WE teaching public school is the only way I'd have a chance. I would also do it for the life experience and opportunity to give back, not just taking advantage of americorps lol
We're basically numbers twins! Well your GPA is slightly higher than mine but everything else is the same. With a 171 its going to be nearly impossible to crack YS, and still pretty unlikely to crack H. Work experience would help, but a higher LSAT would help a lot more.

Speaking of which, I'm giving a tiny bit of thought to a September retake. I did score in the upper 170s a few times but my PT average was 169, and I don't know if its a good idea to try again when I've already beat my average.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 am

DM, in regards to hiring a consultant, with your numbers you definitely don't need it (hell I don't need it and your numbers are much better), but it could be helpful on the margins.

As far as your PS goes, be very careful writing on a sensitive topic, depending on exactly what that is. It seems like that can be a high risk/high reward choice, again depending on exactly what it is. With your numbers you probably could just play it safe with something generic plus a good diversity statement, but if you knock the risky topic out of the park it could help you in getting the ruby. If you do decide to not change topics getting someone at Spivey to work with you on your PS might be a good idea.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:52 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:With a 171 its going to be nearly impossible to crack YS, and still pretty unlikely to crack H. Work experience would help, but a higher LSAT would help a lot more.

Speaking of which, I'm giving a tiny bit of thought to a September retake. I did score in the upper 170s a few times but my PT average was 169, and I don't know if its a good idea to try again when I've already beat my average.
You have even odds of beating your average and hitting below it. I'd say see if you can get your PT average up, and if you can't, just withdraw.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 am

Just locked in a consultant with Spivey for the cycle. I'm now getting equally excited and anxious for the next few months :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:56 am

principalagent wrote:Just locked in a consultant with Spivey for the cycle. I'm now getting equally excited and anxious for the next few months :?
Who is your consultant? I have a call with Karen later today and I'll probably decide on whether to sign up later this week.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:03 am

rowdy wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:With a 171 its going to be nearly impossible to crack YS, and still pretty unlikely to crack H. Work experience would help, but a higher LSAT would help a lot more.

You have even odds of beating your average and hitting below it. I'd say see if you can get your PT average up, and if you can't, just withdraw.
I may do this but at this point I'm not sure. If I were to get into H/S I would probably get minimal need based aid due to my parent's income, and I would lean strongly to taking $$ at a lower T13. Being over the LSAT 75ths for every target school outside of HYS I'm not sure how much a higher score would help at my main targets, and retaking just to improve the chances of an option I would most likely turn down seems silly.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
rowdy wrote:

I may do this but at this point I'm not sure. If I were to get into H/S I would probably get minimal need based aid due to my parent's income, and I would lean strongly to taking $$ at a lower T13. Being over the LSAT 75ths for every target school outside of HYS I'm not sure how much a higher score would help at my main targets, and retaking just to improve the chances of an option I would most likely turn down seems silly.
Are you telling me you don't want to take it again for fun 8)

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 am

Yeah that's what I thought but I don't want to retake. Spoke to a partner at Akerman today and he told me not to obsess over prestige if I'm just looking for a job in biglaw that's not at Cravath or some other crazy wall street firm. What are your targets btw? Is CCN reasonable for our numbers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 am

Papa Engineer just checking in. This week I swear I'll update the OP so that our cozy little home looks more like a real Applicants Thread and less like a shitpoast.

From reading through the comments:
The avi about friendship ended with Free Time is easily the funniest I've seen in a while.
dm, you should have no problem at all with getting *at least* a Darrow interview with your numbers. Last cycle 169/4.0 was pretty much a shoe-in for interview
Jimmy, I expect to see similar results for us admissions-wise. Last cycle I got in everywhere Chicago and lower, but now with a better LSAT, at minimum I'm hoping for at least one out of HYS, and probably a WL.

As a last note, to all with 170+/3.8+, I would encourage applying to the entire top 10 (and maybe a couple sub top 10 if you like their location better). Even if you don't think you'll go, a Dillard offer or Darrow or Mordecai could definitely have some weight in trying to get more scholarship from a peer or other T14. Most of us should have fee waivers for almost all of these schools (they generally hand them out like candy for 170+), so eating the $30 app fee could potentially turn into a huge boost in $$$. Seems like a decent bet in just about any situation.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:27 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:
Yeah that's what I thought but I don't want to retake. Spoke to a partner at Akerman today and he told me not to obsess over prestige if I'm just looking for a job in biglaw that's not at Cravath or some other crazy wall street firm. What are your targets btw? Is CCN reasonable for our numbers?
Depends on who you ask. I'm pretty debt averse, so with similar numbers, I'd be hoping for Dillard/Darrow/Mordecai and go for free to VMD (or hell even ED at NU). That being said, others seem to value NYC much higher (for some reason I don't understand) and would say that CCN at half or just under half would be a good idea.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:
UVA/Duke are far and away my top two (realistic) choices. Based on their Fed Clerk/Biglaw #s they are criminally underrated, and the fact that they both place strongly in DC/secondary southern markets is just icing on the cake. If you can avoid a yield protect waitlist you should be looking at significant money at both (Duke seems to give out $$ more consistently while UVA has greater fluctuations in the amount given). Per mylsn we have a great chance at NYU and a tossup chance at Columbia, but I really don't see much benefit in going to either over Duke/UVA, especially as there should be a huge scholarship gap. Chicago and Penn would be really tough due to their obsession with high GPAs, and the latter wouldn't be worth going to over our other options anyways. I'm planning to blanket the T13 from Harvard down, but will leave out Chicago, Penn and Berkley.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
mrcfa1995 wrote:
Depends on who you ask. I'm pretty debt averse, so with similar numbers, I'd be hoping for Dillard/Darrow/Mordecai and go for free to VMD (or hell even ED at NU). That being said, others seem to value NYC much higher (for some reason I don't understand) and would say that CCN at half or just under half would be a good idea.
Do I really have a shot at a Dillard/Mordecai with my numbers? I assumed I'd be confined to half-75% scholarship due to my GPA being below 75th at Duke and 50th at UVA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:35 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:That being said, others seem to value NYC much higher (for some reason I don't understand) and would say that CCN at half or just under half would be a good idea.
I am willing to take out the loans, just wondering if it's reasonable to assume I'm getting into 1-2 out of CCN. Will also consider going lower T14 to save the $, but I like the idea of going to NYC for three years lol

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 am

mrcfa1995 wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:That being said, others seem to value NYC much higher (for some reason I don't understand) and would say that CCN at half or just under half would be a good idea.
I am willing to take out the loans, just wondering if it's reasonable to assume I'm getting into 1-2 out of CCN. Will also consider going lower T14 to save the $, but I like the idea of going to NYC for three years lol
forgive any pedantic-ness in my response.

I would say it's never safe to 'assume' acceptances, but with a 171/3.85, I think with a strong application (again I have no idea on softs for you, but LORs and PS *DO MATTER*) I'd feel confident expecting an acceptance from at least one of them. I got into Chicago and NYU with scholarships with 168/3.98 last year.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:40 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
mrcfa1995 wrote:
Do I really have a shot at a Dillard/Mordecai with my numbers? I assumed I'd be confined to half-75% scholarship due to my GPA being below 75th at Duke and 50th at UVA.
Mordecai I know less about, but I'd expect applying early and being LSAT > 75th, GPA > 50th at Duke would net you at least an interview.
Dillard, being below the 50th GPA could be an issue (although having ties to UVA already is not a bad thing). I do know a guy who got a Dillard last year with 169/3.8 - that being said, I think it was a pretty unique situation. He wasn't URM, but had a pretty crazy life story and was TFA as well as having gone to one of the Quaker schools (like Swarthmore) that are known for grade deflation.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 pm

All y'all sitting here talking about Mordecais and Rubies like a bunch of international super villains and I'm just sitting here with my <<<25 GPA whistling

You're all in a great place. If you don't have a poison pill in your application you'll have plenty of options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Platopus wrote:Checkin' in!!

3.95+ / 173/ 2 years WE

I'll probably be blanketing the T-13 (minus a select couple of schools), and am really looking to get some $$$ for scholarships. Interested in clerking ---> general Chicago Biglaw, but not entirely dead set on this either.

Still considering a retake, since I'm probably out of contention for named scholarships (like a Ruby :D ) and don't want to leave $$$$ on the table, but I don't know if I can realistically do this before September (I really put work on the back burner for my June take). I also hit my PT average pretty much squarely on the head, so I think I would probably actually need to see the needle move on PT's before I was confident enough to retake.

Top choices are Chicago, Harvard (self-admitted preftige whore), & Northwestern
honestly plato you probably have a better chance at a Ruby than I do just because of your WE. If you get it and I don't that will be proof positive of the impact of WE on named scholarships (or conversely the negative impact of KJD)

BTW we even have the same goals lol.

edit: curious why Michigan is not on your list?

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

rowdy wrote:All y'all sitting here talking about Mordecais and Rubies like a bunch of international super villains and I'm just sitting here with my <<<25 GPA whistling

You're all in a great place. If you don't have a poison pill in your application you'll have plenty of options.
Ahhhhhhhem. What was your LSAT score again?????????? I think you forgot to add that part!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

it's allgood wrote:
rowdy wrote:All y'all sitting here talking about Mordecais and Rubies like a bunch of international super villains and I'm just sitting here with my <<<25 GPA whistling

Ahhhhhhhem. What was your LSAT score again?????????? I think you forgot to add that part!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
yeah I was thinking this as well - someone is being bashful :D

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 pm

dm1683 wrote:
it's allgood wrote:

yeah I was thinking this as well - someone is being bashful :D
Lol in the game of admissions, some of you are going to straight up clown on me and you know it. Which is cool with me, because I get to tell my grandkids about how I met Justice so-and-so on an internet forum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”