TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by 38981928 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:
principalagent wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Any senior have less than 0 motivation this semester? Last fall it was pretty low, but I still tried because those grades could still have some effect on acceptances and scholarships, but for the spring I'd be perfectly content if I just passed all my classes.
I’m not in school but I’m quitting my job in a few months, and I have a real bad case of senioritis.
+1 all your motivation is down the drain
+2 going into work is harder each and every day
+3 it’s literally the worst and I wish I could just leave in June to take the whole summer off but #money
+4 thankfully I decided more than a year ago I want to be out of here by end of June absolute latest (law school or not, and earlier if I can figure out how to do it w/o burning bridges), so I've been saving for that this whole time haha

solennita

New

Post by solennita » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

38981928 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
principalagent wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Any senior have less than 0 motivation this semester? Last fall it was pretty low, but I still tried because those grades could still have some effect on acceptances and scholarships, but for the spring I'd be perfectly content if I just passed all my classes.
I’m not in school but I’m quitting my job in a few months, and I have a real bad case of senioritis.
+3 it’s literally the worst and I wish I could just leave in June to take the whole summer off but #money
+4 thankfully I decided more than a year ago I want to be out of here by end of June absolute latest (law school or not, and earlier if I can figure out how to do it w/o burning bridges), so I've been saving for that this whole time haha
+5 basically just need to get through February and then I can start transitioning my cases out March-May!
Last edited by solennita on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 pm

solennita wrote:
38981928 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
principalagent wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
Walliums wrote:
+5 basically just need to get through February and then I can start transitioning my cases out March-May!
+6 But I have an employee leaving me in mid March and if she can maintain her professionalism, so can I. I am just grateful I'm not training her position (our old teller that SHE replaced is coming back!)
Waiting on my meager 3% annual raise (which is pushed back two months for some reason, even though we did annual reviews a month early) also adds to my Dontgiveafrakitis.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:50 pm

+ 7 to all that because I can't quote more than 7 quotes or something. I truly don't know how I'm going to tell my lovely employer that I am leaving.

theharleyquinn

New

Post by theharleyquinn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

dietcoked wrote:+ 7 to all that because I can't quote more than 7 quotes or something. I truly don't know how I'm going to tell my lovely employer that I am leaving.
have you set when you plan on leaving? i'm still trying to sort that out myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:18 pm

theharleyquinn wrote:
dietcoked wrote:+ 7 to all that because I can't quote more than 7 quotes or something. I truly don't know how I'm going to tell my lovely employer that I am leaving.
have you set when you plan on leaving? i'm still trying to sort that out myself.
+8 I told my boss the day after I got my LSAT score and knew I'd be leaving. My job works on pretty long research cycles and it usually takes months to fill a spot so I told them almost 12 months ahead of time.

However, I only did that because my bosses are awesome and I knew my job would be safe doing so. They're actually even fighting to get me promoted
knowing I'll only be around a few more months. So not the pat for everyone but I know it helps them to know and they have got my back too. Desperately ready to be in school, but I'm actually going to miss the people from my work.

par283

New

Post by par283 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:25 pm

demos9 wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:
+8 I told my boss the day after I got my LSAT score and knew I'd be leaving. My job works on pretty long research cycles and it usually takes months to fill a spot so I told them almost 12 months ahead of time.

However, I only did that because my bosses are awesome and I knew my job would be safe doing so. They're actually even fighting to get me promoted
knowing I'll only be around a few more months. So not the pat for everyone but I know it helps them to know and they have got my back too. Desperately ready to be in school, but I'm actually going to miss the people from my work.
I told my boss in September. He's super supportive and he's going to promote the girl under me to my job so it works out well for everyone. I knew my job was safe, but its definitely a risk.

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm

I did exactly this last year. The last class I needed was online and I just did enough points to pass and then stopped doing any assignments or tests. Do not recommend, my overall GPA dropped from a 3.7x to a 3.5x; some 1L jobs ask for undergrad transcripts.

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Anyone else getting super antsy? I received 4 decisions before break, and have only received one since then-- I didn't expect my decisions to slow down the longer my applications have been in!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manchesterengland

New

Post by manchesterengland » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

demos9 wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:

+9 I have some very annoying workplace politics that I cannot wait to leave. But I'm going to a conference in mid-late July, which is not really ideal timing for a move to school...

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 am

april_ludgate wrote:Anyone else getting super antsy? I received 4 decisions before break, and have only received one since then-- I didn't expect my decisions to slow down the longer my applications have been in!
i’ve had the same result (4 before and 1 after) and tryna stay relaxed but it’s tough not to worry haha
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:22 am

april_ludgate wrote:Anyone else getting super antsy? I received 4 decisions before break, and have only received one since then-- I didn't expect my decisions to slow down the longer my applications have been in!
I've definitely seen a slowdown, and it's gotten rougher. Before break, I had four acceptances and two waitlists. Since then, two rejections and a waitlist.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 am

wmbuff wrote:
I've definitely seen a slowdown, and it's gotten rougher. Before break, I had four acceptances and two waitlists. Since then, two rejections and a waitlist.
I try to tell myself the slowdown I've seen can be attributed to people slooooowly getting back into their work grind after the holidays! I'm envisioning adcomms still partially on holiday mode and reluctantly staring down stacks of apps that they'll plow through REALLY quickly once they're fully settled back at work and the reality of their upcoming deadlines hits them full force.

Lolol wishful thinking, I know, but it helps me sleep better at night.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 am

38981928 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
I try to tell myself the slowdown I've seen can be attributed to people slooooowly getting back into their work grind after the holidays! I'm envisioning adcomms still partially on holiday mode and reluctantly staring down stacks of apps that they'll plow through REALLY quickly once they're fully settled back at work and the reality of their upcoming deadlines hits them full force.

Most of the schools I'm waiting for have had small, infrequent waves-- chicago, columbia, harvard, stanford, yale. So I get the slowdown but I still haaaaattteee it lol

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:03 am

april_ludgate wrote:
38981928 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

Most of the schools I'm waiting for have had small, infrequent waves-- chicago, columbia, harvard, stanford, yale. So I get the slowdown but I still haaaaattteee it lol
Your stats are golden and I feel like Chicago and Columbia are just prepping $$$ to throw your way! HYS have released very few decisions I think so those are not even worth stressing over right now. Easier said than done, I know, but you will have an amazing cycle!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 am

38981928 wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
38981928 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

Your stats are golden and I feel like Chicago and Columbia are just prepping $$$ to throw your way! HYS have released very few decisions I think so those are not even worth stressing over right now. Easier said than done, I know, but you will have an amazing cycle!

Thank you! I tried but couldn't find your stats in your posts, but I saw you got into michigan so I know they must be great!! Michigan is still ghosting me haha. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 am

Hoping for some birthday good vibes today in the form of $$$ and a Columbia wave and maybe even a second JS1 wave later this week pls #aboycandream

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 am

principalagent wrote:Hoping for some birthday good vibes today in the form of $$$ and a Columbia wave and maybe even a second JS1 wave later this week pls #aboycandream
Happy birthday! Wishing all of these things for u

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 am

I applied early last cycle and saw the same thing happen. Seems like some schools really push to get decisions out before the holidays, then after really take their foot off the gas. Im anticipating another big wave of decisions either this week or next week tho.

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 am

+180 on the checking out at work thing. It doesn't help that my department that I am basically in charge of is short-handed and I'm currently working 60 hour weeks (and then am told I should be leaving on time, as if I could magically finish everything I am asked to do in 8 hours). I know when I leave it will be a sh*t show, but I don't even care at this point since management hasn't given me much to work with and that is 100% their problem if they can't (or won't) replace me.

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am

Ok different work issue. I'm going to be out of a job soon (political campaign, candidate dropping out), and I can't really just ride it out until July or August. I'm going to have to pick up at least one job, probably something temporary like bartending. I've got a number of schools I'm still waiting to hear back from and some that I'm waitlisted at. How do I go about letting schools know about this or when I do it? I assume that I have to let these schools know. Is it a whole new resume? Or just a quick note sent over? Advice is welcome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

TedBuckland wrote:Ok different work issue. I'm going to be out of a job soon (political campaign, candidate dropping out), and I can't really just ride it out until July or August. I'm going to have to pick up at least one job, probably something temporary like bartending. I've got a number of schools I'm still waiting to hear back from and some that I'm waitlisted at. How do I go about letting schools know about this or when I do it? I assume that I have to let these schools know. Is it a whole new resume? Or just a quick note sent over? Advice is welcome.
I'd probably only let them know if you end up doing something you want them to see. I can't imagine schools would hold it against you that your candidate didn't stay in the race.

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Something I've been thinking about as my anxiety has transitioned into the "Why did they get in and I'm still UR?" phase of the cycle: I would pay an additional $50 per application if the money was used to create an admissions committee applicant liaison position whose job it was to give weekly updates on where the admissions committee are currently focusing their application review.

Ex. "We're looking through November applicants only this week" or "We're looking at students below the 75ths who applied by December and we'll get to higher scorers later."

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

(•_•)
<) )╯stop
/ \

\(•_•)
( (> bumping
/ \

(•_•)
<) )> the Columbia thread