TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
heyduchess

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by heyduchess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Platopus wrote: Image
it me. :twisted:

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Platopus wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Both of my LOR Profs have been MIA all month and aren't returning emails so I'm reaching out to my backup. One of them I know won't have a problem writing sometime before Sept. 1st but the other is a bit more aloof and is known to take a really long time to write LORs.
I have yet to email mine. It's the only component of my App that I haven't done. SOS

FELLOW NON-TRADS: How are you approaching reaching out to professors who haven't physically seen you in years?
I've been sliding up out of a sewer grate while they walk their dogs at 6AM
Why did you do this

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 am

Come on Rowdy, from the height of your score, start the H Y S threads... I'd feel pathetic being the OP for those schools :mrgreen:

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 am

InterLaw wrote:Come on Rowdy, from the height of your score, start the H Y S threads... I'd feel pathetic being the OP for those schools :mrgreen:
Lmao there is such a thing as a GPA floor my friend. I'm not even applying to HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:23 pm

rowdy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Come on Rowdy, from the height of your score, start the H Y S threads... I'd feel pathetic being the OP for those schools :mrgreen:
Lmao there is such a thing as a GPA floor my friend. I'm not even applying to HYS.
Well I was joking, but you actually should apply to those schools! Especially H, after their LSAT drop last year!
I'm willing to waive you the burden of OP though, due to hard splitter situation :wink:

Still, who's so self-confident to open those threads? I really don't want to :lol:

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:46 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Both of my LOR Profs have been MIA all month and aren't returning emails so I'm reaching out to my backup. One of them I know won't have a problem writing sometime before Sept. 1st but the other is a bit more aloof and is known to take a really long time to write LORs.
I have yet to email mine. It's the only component of my App that I haven't done. SOS

FELLOW NON-TRADS: How are you approaching reaching out to professors who haven't physically seen you in years?
How many years out we talking? I last physically saw my teachers fall of 15, but thankfully they remembered me. I offered to meet in person since that's always helpful. Maybe you can start emailing and see which professors are open to meeting in person to get an idea of who could write your rec? That is if you're willing to go back to those schools and when you want everything in I guess.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 pm

clueless801 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

How many years out we talking? I last physically saw my teachers fall of 15, but thankfully they remembered me. I offered to meet in person since that's always helpful. Maybe you can start emailing and see which professors are open to meeting in person to get an idea of who could write your rec? That is if you're willing to go back to those schools and when you want everything in I guess.
I went to school on the east coast and live in California now.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:59 pm

heyduchess wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

I went to school on the east coast and live in California now.
Maybe a phone call in your sitch

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:45 pm

InterLaw wrote:
rowdy wrote:
Well I was joking, but you actually should apply to those schools! Especially H, after their LSAT drop last year!
I'm willing to waive you the burden of OP though, due to hard splitter situation :wink:

Still, who's so self-confident to open those threads? I really don't want to :lol:
I could OP the Harvard thread - feeling pretty confident on my chances. Not gonna touch S or Y OP with a 10 ft pole though (still applying to both)

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
rowdy wrote:

I could OP the Harvard thread - feeling pretty confident on my chances. Not gonna touch S or Y OP with a 10 ft pole though (still applying to both)
I just OP'd the NU thread. I figure that fulfills my civic duty.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Taking care of Columbia's thread now!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:30 pm

rowdy wrote:
Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
rowdy wrote:

I just OP'd the NU thread. I figure that fulfills my civic duty.
Good guys!
Coming to chek in both!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:43 pm

I know it's premature, but what are everyone's thoughts on Early Decision applications? I have a very strong #1 choice, but my GPA is a <25% median and my LSAT is right above median. I am a URM and I think I am a good candidate for acceptance, but I need $$ because I am poor and have existing debt and family obligations. Should only very strong candidates, 75%+ on both, do ED?

Original plan was to just apply to top 4 schools in/by October and then gauge response before deciding if I should retake in December as I have very, very little money.

I obviously have a goodly amount of time to stress over this, but I like to get started early. ^^

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm

checking in, hoping for a great cycle for everyone this year. :D

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Platopus wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:I know it's premature, but what are everyone's thoughts on Early Decision applications? I have a very strong #1 choice, but my GPA is a <25% median and my LSAT is right above median. I am a URM and I think I am a good candidate for acceptance, but I need $$ because I am poor and have existing debt and family obligations. Should only very strong candidates, 75%+ on both, do ED?

Original plan was to just apply to top 4 schools in/by October and then gauge response before deciding if I should retake in December as I have very, very little money.

I obviously have a goodly amount of time to stress over this, but I like to get started early. ^^
Going to depend on the school and your goals. If I'm not mistaken, many ED programs DO NOT offer $$$, in many cases you are going to pay sticker. I would suggest applying RD in most cases.

Yeah, this school specifically states that it won't impact how the application is evaluated (though compared against other ED applicants) but they do offer early evaluation for merit-based scholarships. This happens after the offer, in January. ED applicants will thus know the minimum scholarship they will receive, but it won't necessarily reflect the full amount.

Hmm, it might be too risky. I'd hate to lose what little leverage I might have to negotiate money toward the tail end of the cycle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:48 am

I hope none of us has to make vengeful post here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=103945

Anyone else attending the LSAC forum in DC next week?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 am

tuna_wasabi wrote:I hope none of us has to make vengeful post here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=103945

Anyone else attending the LSAC forum in DC next week?
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Paging Jimmy

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:13 am

Silly question: how much time do you have normally to accept a school offer? For what I could find so far it seems that some school gives you a response as early as September, while others nothing before christmas... Does that mean that you could have to decide whether to accept an offer before knowing if you got into other schools? (I'm speaking of early cycle time)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am

heyduchess wrote:
rowdy wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

I've been sliding up out of a sewer grate while they walk their dogs at 6AM
brb. moving to the east coast to stalk my professors.

It may be helpful to send a request over email and attach a resume and a list of bullet points that reminds the professor of your specific qualities/characteristics (related to success in law school) and how you exemplified those in the professor's course by giving specific examples.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Just secured a big recommender! (Dean at top Ivy)... I know that this is mainly a numbers game and that the "prestige" of the recommender is not so important but considering that I run with just one number everything else gains some importance, and I believe that his letter will add some weight, at least for the law school of his institution... In any case, he offered to help me without me asking so it won't hurt! 8) 8)

Does someone of you already started in preparing applications?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:25 pm

For anyone interested, David from 7sage admissions is doing a PS webinar tonight at 9, details here https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11775

If I can't get my PS to a respectable point this weeks I'll probably have to get some outside help.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:For anyone interested, David from 7sage admissions is doing a PS webinar tonight at 9, details here https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11775

If I can't get my PS to a respectable point this weeks I'll probably have to get some outside help.
Feel free to PM me if you just need to bounce ideas off of someone.

Thanks for the webinar tip.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”