TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abujabal

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 pm

dm1683 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Lol I'm a woman and I know how to tie a damn tie (yes I was part of that crowd in HS *sigh*)
Like the Avril Lavigne crowd, the "works at Macaroni Grill" crowd, or the "I'm just going to learn how to tie a tie" crowd?
the first one, sadly. Although I kinda grew out of it after sophomore year I think. Around 15 or so I realized that ties and plaid skirts should not be worn at public schools lol.
It was a skater tie
She said see you later tie
It wasn't good enough for her

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

abujabal wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Lol I'm a woman and I know how to tie a damn tie (yes I was part of that crowd in HS *sigh*)
Like the Avril Lavigne crowd, the "works at Macaroni Grill" crowd, or the "I'm just going to learn how to tie a tie" crowd?
the first one, sadly. Although I kinda grew out of it after sophomore year I think. Around 15 or so I realized that ties and plaid skirts should not be worn at public schools lol.
It was a skater tie
She said see you later tie
It wasn't good enough for her
Lol perfect.
If we invented a time machine I would go back to 14 year old me and tell her "you're gonna be a corporate lawyer" and see what happens.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote: Lol perfect.
If we invented a time machine I would go back to 14 year old me and tell her "you're gonna be a corporate lawyer" and see what happens.
I thought you were 14...?
:roll:

You wish, pervy old man.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote:Panicking over rec letters right now. Is it really hard to reach former profs in the summer, or is it just me?
Its hard to reach current profs too! I requested my letters in April and I finally got one uploaded to my account, but its still radio silence from my second rec. I just requested another from a backup prof who is on campus for the summer so hopefully I should have at least 2 before September 1st.
Whoa that's awesome, Jimmy! Hopefully the second referrer responds to your request in time.

I don't know how my profs view me, and at least a year has passed since I met them. With the geographical distance and the teeny-tiny likelihood that I could meet them in person, I'm not confident I'll get mind-blowing letters.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:Question: Should you always write LSAT addendum to explain a big jump? I went 160 to 171 because I just didn't study the first time (probably should have just cancelled but oh well), and was also sick the day of. But the former wasn't like because of a death in the family, I was just depressed at the end of an relationship. Is this seen as something you should say or does it just (possibly accurately) make me sound like I slide into worthlessness at the slightest provocation?
I've seen opinions for both sides. Here's my take:
For schools like Columbia that request a 'test-history' of sorts for applicants with more than 1 score. 100% yes
For schools that do not have admissions interviews, and you went from below their 25th to above their median, I'd say maybe. Don't think it would hurt to add it, also don't think it would hurt you to not have it necessarily.
For schools that do admissions interviews (like UVA), I wouldn't write one - if they have questions about it, that should come up in the interview, and they're not gonna blackball someone with a 171 from an interview if the rest of your application is good.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:45 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Question: Should you always write LSAT addendum to explain a big jump? I went 160 to 171 because I just didn't study the first time (probably should have just cancelled but oh well), and was also sick the day of. But the former wasn't like because of a death in the family, I was just depressed at the end of an relationship. Is this seen as something you should say or does it just (possibly accurately) make me sound like I slide into worthlessness at the slightest provocation?
For schools like Columbia that request a 'test-history' of sorts for applicants with more than 1 score. 100% yes
For schools that do not have admissions interviews, and you went from below their 25th to above their median, I'd say maybe. Don't think it would hurt to add it, also don't think it would hurt you to not have it necessarily.
For schools that do admissions interviews (like UVA), I wouldn't write one - if they have questions about it, that should come up in the interview, and they're not gonna blackball someone with a 171 from an interview if the rest of your application is good.

Tbh, Jack, I think I would take the September test. Not because you need a higher score, but because it could help showing that the 160 was the fluke, not the 171.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

heyduchess wrote:

Tbh, Jack, I think I would take the September test. Not because you need a higher score, but because it could help showing that the 160 was the fluke, not the 171.
I strongly disagree with this. Unless you've continued to study and/or were PTing at the 175+ range I think re-taking is at best a net-zero gain.

Adcoms aren't going to dismiss a 171 as a 'fluke' because they mostly only care about the score for reporting purposes, so to them a 171 is a 171.

You earned that score - you don't have to prove anything to anyone about the LSAT anymore

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 am

I strongly disagree with this. Unless you've continued to study and/or were PTing at the 175+ range I think re-taking is at best a net-zero gain.

Adcoms aren't going to dismiss a 171 as a 'fluke' because they mostly only care about the score for reporting purposes, so to them a 171 is a 171.

You earned that score - you don't have to prove anything to anyone about the LSAT anymore
(future ex actually knows way more than me and generally gives solid advice. if he says you're good, i believe it. carry on)

mrcfa1995

New

Post by mrcfa1995 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Last edited by mrcfa1995 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 pm

I am retaking in Sept. Idk if I will improve or not, but 4/8 missed questions in June were LG and I've been told that's the easiest to improve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 am

Checking in after a long day at the business factory. I just finally registered for CAS (never knew I had to do that) several years after taking the LSAT, so I'm hoping to get some fee waivers soon.
Jack_Kelly wrote:I am retaking in Sept. Idk if I will improve or not, but 4/8 missed questions in June were LG and I've been told that's the easiest to improve.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you should take a 3rd LSAT unless you're very confident you'll improve, which is an especially dubious prospect after you break 170. But if your PTs are consistently 174 and above (for example, if you start consistently acing LG), go for it.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

Just signed up for the October 10th forum in Chicago. Anyone else going?

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:40 am

MrAdultman wrote:Checking in after a long day at the business factory. I just finally registered for CAS (never knew I had to do that) several years after taking the LSAT, so I'm hoping to get some fee waivers soon.
Jack_Kelly wrote:I am retaking in Sept. Idk if I will improve or not, but 4/8 missed questions in June were LG and I've been told that's the easiest to improve.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you should take a 3rd LSAT unless you're very confident you'll improve, which is an especially dubious prospect after you break 170. But if your PTs are consistently 174 and above (for example, if you start consistently acing LG), go for it.
Idk, I got the impression it wouldn't hurt me much with WUSTL (likely to be my best option at this point given my debt adversity) if I did the same/worse, and would greatly increase chances of UVA etc being affordable if I did better.
(P.S. I appreciate the username)

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:59 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
MrAdultman wrote:Checking in after a long day at the business factory. I just finally registered for CAS (never knew I had to do that) several years after taking the LSAT, so I'm hoping to get some fee waivers soon.
Idk, I got the impression it wouldn't hurt me much with WUSTL (likely to be my best option at this point given my debt adversity) if I did the same/worse, and would greatly increase chances of UVA etc being affordable if I did better.
(P.S. I appreciate the username)
OK, I see that. I think the recommendations against a 1st or 2nd retake when you're scoring above 170 is more of a pragmatic thing than an admissions thing (i.e. if you're not likely to beat your score, then you're just wasting time studying again). I believe this Spivey blog post (http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/about- ... at-policy/) is where I was getting my info from - he says after the 3rd retake, it might look bad without an addendum. So yeah, cram LG and good luck in September!

And thank you, it's nice to meet a fan :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Not sure if I checked in so yeah. Applying to UVA/Duke/GT/Texas/WUSTL and 2 state schools in Texas. I'm not that interested in attending t14 schools anymore.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Hey TLS friends - help a fellow broke person out! Each LSAC report is $35 so that's something we can't avoid per application. Can anyone point me to a list of how much it costs to apply to each school? I'm super hoping I do well enough on the LSAT where I can request fee waivers, but I'm also super risk averse and want to try to set something aside right now.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Platopus wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Hey TLS friends - help a fellow broke person out! Each LSAC report is $35 so that's something we can't avoid per application. Can anyone point me to a list of how much it costs to apply to each school? I'm super hoping I do well enough on the LSAT where I can request fee waivers, but I'm also super risk averse and want to try to set something aside right now.
Did you apply for a need-based fee wavier through LSAC? https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/fee-waivers
I didn't :/ There's probably no harm in applying for one but I work a full time job now and didn't think I'd qualify. Think I read something on the LSAC site about that too. Thanks though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:11 pm

heyduchess wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Would've been way cooler if you worked at Macaroni Grill. I'd tell you to add "Writing my name upside down" to your resume ASAP.
I just wanted to sneak in and mention that writing my name upside down creates the word "law" right side up. Coincidence?

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
Would've been way cooler if you worked at Macaroni Grill. I'd tell you to add "Writing my name upside down" to your resume ASAP.
I just wanted to sneak in and mention that writing my name upside down creates the word "law" right side up. Coincidence?
I AM THE LAW

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Any Duke hopefuls here?
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”