TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
principalagent

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by principalagent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:09 pm

InterLaw wrote:Would you keep us updated on that?
I'll PM

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:31 pm

principalagent wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Would you keep us updated on that?
I'll PM
That'd be great!

So, when should we start sharing numbers, expectations, goals, application lists, favorite cocktails?

I've always been for Long Island but guys... I recently felt in love with Moscow Mule... Amazing.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 pm

Checking in
3.45 (from a lower T13)/171
Applying everywhere 5-18 minus UCLA I think+W&M+UNC.

I also got the WUSTL email asking for interview. Unsure if they mean for this cycle or next one/if I should respond. It's actually one of my top schools due to wariness of debt, but their 2021 process hasn't started yet, has it? Would also appreciate PM on this.

This is what I should be looking at but think I might underperform a bit (Terrible first LSAT I didn't study for+downward GPA trend after transferring+weak softs)

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Checking in
3.45 (from a lower T13)

downward GPA trend after transferring
Does the 3.45 include your grades before transferring too? LSAC counts everything, so maybe yours will go up a little?

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 pm

principalagent wrote:
3.45 (from a lower T13)

downward GPA trend after transferring
Does the 3.45 include your grades before transferring too? LSAC counts everything, so maybe yours will go up a little?
Yeah, that's my LSAC GPA. Degree GPA is 3.33 IIRC. Ironically might have been better off remaining at my (terrible) first school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

International (many transcripts - the "degree" one is superior, the others are shitty + graduate program) / 172

T6+UVA/Mich/NU/Cornell/GULC+ a bunch of t15-30 (UCLA/USC/BU/BC/UW/GWU/W&L?) +W&M

I'll have a totally unpredictable cycle, so yeah, I'm applying broadly (and I'll throw off money for Y and S, I know that). I'll probably underperform my LSAT due to a couple of weak points in my file, trying to compensate with great letters and PS!
Can I ask you why W&M?

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 pm

InterLaw wrote:International (many transcripts - the "degree" one is superior, the others are shitty + graduate program) / 172

T6+UVA/Mich/NU/Cornell/GULC+ a bunch of t15-30 (UCLA/USC/BU/BC/UW/GWU/W&L?) +W&M

I'll have a totally unpredictable cycle, so yeah, I'm applying broadly (and I'll throw off money for Y and S, I know that). I'll probably underperform my LSAT due to a couple of weak points in my file, trying to compensate with great letters and PS!
Can I ask you why W&M?
If everything goes impossibly wrong, I like the school's vibe and live in VA. It's very much a safety though, if WUSTL and Vanderbilt really hate me. Essentially, I want an in-state safety and prefer W&M to GMU and W&L.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Have a consultation with Karen from Spivey Consulting Monday, I'm considering a full cycle package. I don't have the $$ for it so would have to take out extra undergrad loans but I think it might be a "profitable" decision. Outcomes at my goal schools vary from waitlist to near full ride with everything in between, and I also have an outside chance at Harvard. If I can ensure an optimal outcome it would probably be worth a couple thousand dollars.

Edit to add: Here are my chances

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Anyone know of any guides / resources / examples on how to write Why X essays? Been searching but I haven't found much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Super splitter URM/LGBT and top undergrad. Applying from 1-18 and my strong regionals. mylsn shows basically nothing for my stat range so I've no real idea where I'll land.
Last edited by principalagent on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Checking in guys!

4.0/173 from a no name public university. History major.

LGBT, K-JD (although I graduate in Dec and will get a job for the eight months in between)

Below average softs except I have a unique personal situation (won't go into more detail bc it will out me) that I can write a strong PS about.

Applying to Stanford, CCN, Michigan, Penn and Northwestern.

Looking forward to a good cycle.

Also, what is a "counter-cycle" and why was there such a visceral reaction to mentioning it?

Edit: chances
Last edited by dm1683 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:58 pm

dm1683 wrote:Checking in guys!

LGBT, K-JD (although I graduate in Dec and will get a job for the eight months in between)

Below average softs except I have a unique personal situation (won't go into more detail bc it will out me) that I can write a strong PS about.

Also, what is a "counter-cycle" and why was there such a visceral reaction to mentioning it?
I think a countercycle is more or less a cycle where it's beneficial to apply later because of the applicant pool and how the cycle is playing out.

Dyebri has been harassing Spivey & co about asking whether it's a countercycle all year, making dozens of alt accounts here and Reddit, etc. As I understand it, Dyebri was personally attacking them and other people and being generally unpleasant. Joking about asking if it's a countercycle has become a meme in and of itself now, but people are sick of this particular person.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:02 pm

rowdy wrote:

I think a countercycle is more or less a cycle where it's beneficial to apply later because of the applicant pool and how the cycle is playing out.

Dyebri has been harassing Spivey & co about asking whether it's a countercycle all year, making dozens of alt accounts here and Reddit, etc. As I understand it, Dyebri was personally attacking them and other people and being generally unpleasant. Joking about asking if it's a countercycle has become a meme in and of itself now, but people are sick of this particular person.
Interesting. Never heard the term before.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Checking in! I will be reapplying after taking the lsat (3rd time) in December!

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm

checking in to haze the young'ns

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 pm

wait why hasnt rigo checked in yet?

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Checking in!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 am

Damn didn't know you had a 4.0! I know you posted in the LSAT thread that you're targeting Chicago (maybe a Ruby is possible??) but would you to go Y/S over money at CCN? Also, does LGBT get an URM boost? I've seen people claim that it doesn't make any difference while others say its almost as big of a boost as being a "traditional" URM.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:39 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Also, does LGBT get an URM boost? I've seen people claim that it doesn't make any difference while others say its almost as big of a boost as being a "traditional" URM.
My understanding is that it's a soft that helps on the margins. It's definitely not the level of an AA boost. Perhaps the level of a non-MA/PR Latino or other non-traditional URM. But it does give good reason to write a DS and further make a case for yourself.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am

R. Jeeves wrote:wait why hasnt rigo checked in yet?
I think he's still on his vacation. At least that's what I remember shaka saying.

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am

Time to dive in! Just going to apply and see what happens. My background is... fairly interesting (Undocumented/LGBT) so should be a bit interesting to see what happens with my stats (3.75/172) especially at the T3/T6 level.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

Damn didn't know you had a 4.0! I know you posted in the LSAT thread that you're targeting Chicago (maybe a Ruby is possible??) but would you to go Y/S over money at CCN? Also, does LGBT get an URM boost? I've seen people claim that it doesn't make any difference while others say its almost as big of a boost as being a "traditional" URM.
Honestly it depends on how much financial aid I would get from Y/S and how big my scholarship is at Chicago. I want Chicago biglaw and it's not like Y/S would provide much of an advantage in that department.

As far as LGBT, this
principalagent wrote:
My understanding is that it's a soft that helps on the margins. It's definitely not the level of an AA boost. Perhaps the level of a non-MA/PR Latino or other non-traditional URM. But it does give good reason to write a DS and further make a case for yourself.
is pretty much dead on. Although I think there are probably "tiers" within LGBT AFA how much it impacts you. For example, being trans would probably have a bigger impact than being bi. But IDK for sure.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Working on my law school resume today... Is "does dope shit" more of a skill, or would it go under interests?

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Anyone started their Why X essays? :)

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Delano wrote:Anyone started their Why X essays? :)
Just for my top choice so far. It's probably a good thing I have way more reasons for there than anywhere else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”