TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eli1

New

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Eli1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:If a school recommends that you retake the LSAT (even though you’re above their 25%), what’s the best way to tell them no? It’s not my top choice, just thought I’d throw an app in because of the waiver.
I mean, was it like a general type of email (call? etc.?) or were they directly telling YOU to retake?

either way I find it kind of weird a school would do that. i wasn't even aware schools could tell you to retake :lol: :lol:
It was an email that basically said they did a preliminary review of my app and recommend that I retake before they make a decision. It’s funny though because on because of LSN they’ve already admitted someone with an LSAT below their 25%.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:If a school recommends that you retake the LSAT (even though you’re above their 25%), what’s the best way to tell them no? It’s not my top choice, just thought I’d throw an app in because of the waiver.
I mean, was it like a general type of email (call? etc.?) or were they directly telling YOU to retake?

either way I find it kind of weird a school would do that. i wasn't even aware schools could tell you to retake :lol: :lol:
It was an email that basically said they did a preliminary review of my app and recommend that I retake before they make a decision. It’s funny though because on because of LSN they’ve already admitted someone with an LSAT below their 25%.
I don't think I've ever heard of a school doing that, wtf :shock: are you registered for the December test, if so maybe that's why they said it? if you're not then I have no idea... lol

Eli1

New

Post by Eli1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I don't think I've ever heard of a school doing that, wtf :shock: are you registered for the December test, if so maybe that's why they said it? if you're not then I have no idea... lol
I’m using the June LSAT so I don’t have to worry about studying during senior year so no I’d have to wait until February to even be able to take it again. I’m probably just going to email back and tell them no lol

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

that's weird af lol

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I've heard of it before. It means that they are going to reject him without better numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I've heard of it before. It means that they are going to reject him without better numbers
What are the chances of them getting in then, do you think? For instance, if they take it and improve 1 or 2 points, would it still be a rejection?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:54 pm

TedBuckland wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

What are the chances of them getting in then, do you think? For instance, if they take it and improve 1 or 2 points, would it still be a rejection?
It depends on GPA and how close to the median that puts him. But somewhere near infinitely better odds than right now

Eli1

New

Post by Eli1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 pm

chargers21 wrote:
TedBuckland wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

It depends on GPA and how close to the median that puts him. But somewhere near infinitely better odds than right now
Without revealing too much, I’m 2 points below the median but 1 point above the 25% and my GPA is slightly above a 3. According to LSN, they’ve already admitted and given a solid scholarship to someone with an LSAT that’s 2 points below the 25% and a 3.9 GPA. I know my GPA is low but I assumed that an LSAT above a school’s 25% and a 3.0 or higher was pretty much guaranteed admission.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Eli1 wrote: Without revealing too much, I’m 2 points below the median but 1 point above the 25% and my GPA is slightly above a 3. According to LSN, they’ve already admitted and given a solid scholarship to someone with an LSAT that’s 2 points below the 25% and a 3.9 GPA. I know my GPA is low but I assumed that an LSAT above a school’s 25% and a 3.0 or higher was pretty much guaranteed admission.
Yikes, you are sorely mistaken about how much GPA factors in and the MASSIVE difference between a 3.0 and a 3.9. If your gpa is at that level and you are not at least at the median LSAT you are basically an auto ding if you aren't URM
Edit: message me if you're curious about more specific chances, how to proceed if this is a must-have school, and are willing to name the school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Eli1 wrote: I know my GPA is low but I assumed that an LSAT above a school’s 25% and a 3.0 or higher was pretty much guaranteed admission.
Where did you find this information? If you are below the 25% in one area, you should be above the 75% in the other area to be a stronger candidate, if you below both 25% you have a very slim chance of acceptance.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eli1

New

Post by Eli1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:53 pm

kippercd wrote:
Eli1 wrote: I know my GPA is low but I assumed that an LSAT above a school’s 25% and a 3.0 or higher was pretty much guaranteed admission.
Where did you find this information? If you are below the 25% in one area, you should be above the 75% in the other area to be a stronger candidate, if you below both 25% you have a very slim chance of acceptance.

I may have overgeneralized. In my particular scenario, I thought that a 0.8 higher GPA would be at least negated by a 3 point higher LSAT.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 pm

Platopus wrote:
Eli1 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

I may have overgeneralized. In my particular scenario, I thought that a 0.8 higher GPA would be at least negated by a 3 point higher LSAT.
0.8 worth of GPA is a lot...
I would gladly give up 10 LSAT points for 0.8 higher GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 pm

rowdy wrote:I would gladly give up 10 LSAT points for 0.8 higher GPA.
I’ll definitely take the 3 point LSAT for .8 GPA trade

Eli1

New

Post by Eli1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm

principalagent wrote:
Last edited by Eli1 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm

principalagent wrote:
That trade probably gets me several t13 I won't get as it stands. I'm below several GPA floors.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 am

Eli1 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

Yo wtf

I know you said the school doesn't matter to you so it's whatever, but in general you need to reevaluate how you're taking my lsn data.

I would never characterize any person with stats 25>median as a guaranteed admit, and I'd certainly never use a single other data point to support it.

Do not assume that just because a school accepted someone with similar numbers that you must also be accepted, their 25/75 stats exist for a reason, if only 25% of their class has those stats it would be pretty impossible to give everyone with those stats the opportunity to attend and still maintain that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:21 am

Yo wtf

I know you said the school doesn't matter to you so it's whatever, but in general you need to reevaluate how you're taking my lsn data.

I would never characterize any person with stats 25>median as a guaranteed admit, and I'd certainly never use a single other data point to support it.

Do not assume that just because a school accepted someone with similar numbers that you must also be accepted, their 25/75 stats exist for a reason, if only 25% of their class has those stats it would be pretty impossible to give everyone with those stats the opportunity to attend and still maintain that[/quote]

Really though, this is why TLS is important. When I first started thinking about law school, I had no idea what to look for/what info I needed/how to make sense of all the stuff that schools and websites put out. I lurked for a long time and learned so much that no advisor or lawyer or current law student has ever told me and it completely changed my approach to the entire thing.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Hey, all--

Slight change of topic here, but I applied to a JD-PhD program at one of the schools, and was notified like a month ago that the PhD I wanted is no longer available. So I tried to contact the school to switch to only a JD application, and I called the woman who was in charge, then emailed her, and she never responded. Do you think there's another way to go about it? I also never got the status checker from the school since I applied via the JD-PhD, so I'm basically completely in the dark re: the status of my application...

One person suggested I withdraw & resubmit, but the problem is, I already paid $105 for the application and completed an interview, so I wouldn't want to mess with my file. Any thoughts?

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Any TLS wisdom about whether I should retake February?
Already a splitter at most T14, already have one T14 bite and two more T20s. But my highest (of 3) LSAT is a 171 and I was PTing 175ish the last time I took it. Haven't been studying per se, but have been working as LSAT tutor. Any downsides to doing Feb if I decide I have it in me?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Any TLS wisdom about whether I should retake February?
Already a splitter at most T14, already have one T14 bite and two more T20s. But my highest (of 3) LSAT is a 171 and I was PTing 175ish the last time I took it. Haven't been studying per se, but have been working as LSAT tutor. Any downsides to doing Feb if I decide I have it in me?
Go for it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jibrahim23

New

Post by jibrahim23 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm

I don't think there is necessarily a downside other than time consumption. I personally don't think the pay off would be big enough to entice me to take it again but if you have it in you, I don't see a downside either.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:52 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:Hey, all--

Slight change of topic here, but I applied to a JD-PhD program at one of the schools, and was notified like a month ago that the PhD I wanted is no longer available. So I tried to contact the school to switch to only a JD application, and I called the woman who was in charge, then emailed her, and she never responded. Do you think there's another way to go about it? I also never got the status checker from the school since I applied via the JD-PhD, so I'm basically completely in the dark re: the status of my application...

One person suggested I withdraw & resubmit, but the problem is, I already paid $105 for the application and completed an interview, so I wouldn't want to mess with my file. Any thoughts?
If the woman you have been in communication with isn't getting back to you, call the admissions office.
Last edited by Walliums on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I've been trying to decide also, but am leaning towards a no rn; my situation is a bit different though. I would say to study again and see if you can still PT consistently at 175+ on new tests (if you haven't ran through all of them) before you sign up. Also negotiate every dollar you can before the test so you pretty much have nothing to lose. Think about it this way: you could be saving tens of thousands of dollars just by doing better on a dumb standardized test. Just my $.02

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
I've been trying to decide also, but am leaning towards a no rn; my situation is a bit different though. I would say to study again and see if you can still PT consistently at 175+ on new tests (if you haven't ran through all of them) before you sign up. Also negotiate every dollar you can before the test so you pretty much have nothing to lose. Think about it this way: you could be saving tens of thousands of dollars just by doing better on a dumb standardized test. Just my $.02
Yeah I think I may take a PT and see if I'm still above 170. If so, I think I will. If not, I probably won't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”