TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:So I'm a K-JD, and I just got my fall grades, which bump me from a 3.94ish to a solid 3.95+. How exactly would I go about sending my fall grades to law schools? Do I need to re-purchase my official transcript? Or is it okay to just email them an unofficial one? Thanks!

EDIT: No law school has actually requested them. Do you think it's worth sending anyway?
Send in new official transcripts to LSAC so that your academic summary report is updated. LSAC will then automatically send in updated reports everywhere that you applied.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:So I'm a K-JD, and I just got my fall grades, which bump me from a 3.94ish to a solid 3.95+. How exactly would I go about sending my fall grades to law schools? Do I need to re-purchase my official transcript? Or is it okay to just email them an unofficial one? Thanks!

EDIT: No law school has actually requested them. Do you think it's worth sending anyway?
Send in new official transcripts to LSAC so that your academic summary report is updated. LSAC will then automatically send in updated reports everywhere that you applied.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this :)

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote: Send in new official transcripts to LSAC so that your academic summary report is updated. LSAC will then automatically send in updated reports everywhere that you applied.
Did you get a confirmation when LSAC received your updated transcripts? My undergrad said they delivered them a while ago and I still haven't received confirmation from LSAC and it feels like it's taking a lot longer than it did the first time I sent my transcripts.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of2273

New

Post by of2273 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm

LOR question. For schools that have a max of 2 letters, I submitted letters from 2 professors. I just recently got a new letter from my employer and the letter is really good, so I want to share it with the schools. Could it harm my application at all if I email an additional letter even though I've already submitted the max number through LSAC

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm

of2273 wrote:LOR question. For schools that have a max of 2 letters, I submitted letters from 2 professors. I just recently got a new letter from my employer and the letter is really good, so I want to share it with the schools. Could it harm my application at all if I email an additional letter even though I've already submitted the max number through LSAC
They may just not read it, but following directions is generally the way to go.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote: Send in new official transcripts to LSAC so that your academic summary report is updated. LSAC will then automatically send in updated reports everywhere that you applied.
Did you get a confirmation when LSAC received your updated transcripts? My undergrad said they delivered them a while ago and I still haven't received confirmation from LSAC and it feels like it's taking a lot longer than it did the first time I sent my transcripts.
I got a confirmation pretty quickly after I sent in updated transcripts. Probably less than a week after my school mailed them out.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:30 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this :)
No problem! I also sent an email to schools letting them know that my GPA increased and that I submitted updated transcripts to LSAC. Most schools emailed me back to let me know that my file was updated with the new grades.

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
I got a confirmation pretty quickly after I sent in updated transcripts. Probably less than a week after my school mailed them out.
I sent my transcripts in just before Christmas but it took two full weeks for me to get the confirmation email!

P.S. Does anybody know if sending in an updated transcript will slow down the process? My GPA literally stayed the same.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Q about myLSN: does it take every single data point into account or only those people who kept their profiles public?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Can someone direct me to a rough format for LOCI's? Figured I would start typing it up now

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Any other k jds worried about how their status will affect their chances with the new increase in applications? My JS1 interviewer really focused on how young I was and my relative lack of work experience. A lot more than I thought he would tbh.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm

dm1683 wrote:Any other k jds worried about how their status will affect their chances with the new increase in applications? My JS1 interviewer really focused on how young I was and my relative lack of work experience. A lot more than I thought he would tbh.
I am sort of worried about this. Im in undergrad but I have a year of full time work experience relevant to law so i hope to keep emphasizing that. I think if you have something on your resume other than education and effectively explain why you want to go to law school now you will be fine. Being k jd feels like it puts us in a minority during the application cycle and in law school which is interesting and may be an uphill battle

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

Drunkingly checked my email and learned I got into Vandy! Just when I quit obsessively checking status checkers (a decision I made two days ago)

(Also it’s dollar drinks night so no judgement Lolz)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 am

dm1683 wrote:Any other k jds worried about how their status will affect their chances with the new increase in applications? My JS1 interviewer really focused on how young I was and my relative lack of work experience. A lot more than I thought he would tbh.
I'm definitely worried about this

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 am

Prudence wrote:
I am sort of worried about this. Im in undergrad but I have a year of full time work experience relevant to law so i hope to keep emphasizing that. I think if you have something on your resume other than education and effectively explain why you want to go to law school now you will be fine. Being k jd feels like it puts us in a minority during the application cycle and in law school which is interesting and may be an uphill battle
I just have two internships and only worked full time during the summer and winter breaks...I'm lucky I have good numbers otherwise i'd be screwed

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 am

Does anyone know how many applicants (esp those on tls) write diversity statements? ie. most? or not many? Never thought about it, but it’s interesting to consider

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am

jjdude14 wrote:Drunkingly checked my email and learned I got into Vandy! Just when I quit obsessively checking status checkers (a decision I made two days ago)

(Also it’s dollar drinks night so no judgement Lolz)
Congratulations ! Gotta love when an acceptance rolls in

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Bored at work and feeling shitty about the dozen or so applications I haven't heard back from --> calculated the general number of offers sent out to the T14 (realizing that there is a ton of overlap between applicants, but the bigger number gives more hope).

There are ~13,700 acceptances sent out each year. Keep dreaming big it's not impossible!!

Shaheen678

New

Post by Shaheen678 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

If you apply early decision and get deferred, does it make sense to send a LOCI?

Or does it not really make a difference?

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Shaheen678 wrote:If you apply early decision and get deferred, does it make sense to send a LOCI?

Or does it not really make a difference?
Some people make the argument in that situation that you might want to save the LOCI in case you are waitlisted

SuckMyLSN

New

Post by SuckMyLSN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Prudence wrote:
I just have two internships and only worked full time during the summer and winter breaks...I'm lucky I have good numbers otherwise i'd be screwed
Fellow K-JD here, no work experience outside of breaks etc. I think coming straight from undergrad is a weakness only in that it deprives you of a potential soft in long-term, full-time work experience. I don't think it's anything like a structural barrier or big strike against you--more something to be aware of and try to adjust in the other parts of your app. Obviously strong numbers help, but I think having interesting and committed leadership experience in internships and extracurriculars and especially LoRs that can speak to your maturity, preparedness, and professionalism can really go a long way to counter any downsides of being K-JD. And again, your numbers will remain the single most important factor in admissions decisions, so this only enters into play in borderline or black-box situations. Or at least that's what I'd hope.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Haven’t heard anything in over a month and I’m getting so antsy. Is this what getting ghosted feels like????

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Haven’t heard anything in over a month and I’m getting so antsy. Is this what getting ghosted feels like????
YUP. And it's illogically affecting my opinions of certain schools lol. If you don't want me then I don't want you! (jk don't have that much pride/dignity I will resort to grovelling)

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Haven’t heard anything in over a month and I’m getting so antsy. Is this what getting ghosted feels like????
I know people IRL who are getting acceptances back and front and meanwhile I'm in a corner crying because I just wanna feel like SOMEONE WANTS MEEEEEEE. even tho i submitted my apps like last month but wahtever.

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 pm

@ my December applicants, I've had a lot of moves to complete today and an acceptance yesterday, there's still hope! :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”