TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
urmlaw17

Bronze

Re: TLS c/o 2021 Applicants Thread

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I have time to visit some law schools this month.

Do you think it's worth even visiting for a better chance of admission?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Whats the etiquette for withdrawing?
Got an acceptance that made some of my safety schools moot, feel like it's common curtesy to withdraw those apps so they don't waste the time on me.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Whats the etiquette for withdrawing?
Got an acceptance that made some of my safety schools moot, feel like it's common curtesy to withdraw those apps so they don't waste the time on me.
You may not want to do that just yet if those schools could provide you leverage for negotiating scholarships. I mean, if it's Charlotte or AZ summit or something, then yeah, send them an email to withdraw your app. Otherwise, if it's a T1 that could help you get a bigger scholarship elsewhere down the road, then just leave it be.

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Pozzo wrote:
You may not want to do that just yet if those schools could provide you leverage for negotiating scholarships. I mean, if it's Charlotte or AZ summit or something, then yeah, send them an email to withdraw your app. Otherwise, if it's a T1 that could help you get a bigger scholarship elsewhere down the road, then just leave it be.
They would be, but luckily I have the full GI Bill, and most T13 cover 100% with the YRP

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Seconded, you're not here to do the school or other applicants any favors. You should be focused on you. From *personal* experience, waiting until, and possibly after deposit deadlines, to withdraw can be very lucrative. Also don't withdraw from waitlists just because you don't think you'll get enough money because they just might give you a boatload surprisingly (also from personal experience and knowledge)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:35 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Seconded, you're not here to do the school or other applicants any favors. You should be focused on you. From *personal* experience, waiting until, and possibly after deposit deadlines, to withdraw can be very lucrative. Also don't withdraw from waitlists just because you don't think you'll get enough money because they just might give you a boatload surprisingly (also from personal experience and knowledge)
So it sounds like the etiquette is that it's not too common to withdraw from lower-preference schools when acceptances come in. I guess I'll just hang on to them just in case until later in the cycle.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:03 pm

PostNihilist wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
So it sounds like the etiquette is that it's not too common to withdraw from lower-preference schools when acceptances come in. I guess I'll just hang on to them just in case until later in the cycle.
It's actually super common to withdraw early, and what many on here would call a pointless waste of an option and a possible opportunity. There are obvious cases where it doesn't really matter. I withdrew from some schools once I had a large scholarship from a higher ranked school that made it a 0% chance of attending the lower ranked schools for less money (and when they weren't within bargaining range). I'm not sure how the military stuff works though so you may be in a similar situation where you are at a minimum going to a certain school and nothing lower

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Just saw my whole application strategy shift tonight. My wife lost her job, which opens up our geography, but drops the bottom out of the app fee budget. There went my nerves.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 pm

wmbuff wrote:Just saw my whole application strategy shift tonight. My wife lost her job, which opens up our geography, but drops the bottom out of the app fee budget. There went my nerves.
Oh man that's rough. Did your top choice change?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 pm

maybeman wrote:
wmbuff wrote:Just saw my whole application strategy shift tonight. My wife lost her job, which opens up our geography, but drops the bottom out of the app fee budget. There went my nerves.
Oh man that's rough. Did your top choice change?
I'm not entirely sure yet. I had to rethink what priority I placed on getting certain apps in, though, and added schools I previously excluded for geographic reasons. There's still a ton to think about.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PanjandrumOfReason

New

Post by PanjandrumOfReason » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 am

Checking in! I am so jealous that some of you have already been accepted with full rides, while I am about to take my first LSAT prep test. :| Wish me luck.

UGPA: 4.00 Engineering
LSAT: December 2017 :shock:

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 am

PanjandrumOfReason wrote:Checking in! I am so jealous that some of you have already been accepted with full rides, while I am about to take my first LSAT prep test. :| Wish me luck.

Score that 175+ and go for HYS/T6 Full Ride (/ Dillard et simil)

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 am

InterLaw wrote:
PanjandrumOfReason wrote:Checking in! I am so jealous that some of you have already been accepted with full rides, while I am about to take my first LSAT prep test. :| Wish me luck.

Score that 175+ and go for HYS/T6 Full Ride (/ Dillard et simil)
This is the kind of comment that makes me go UGH UNDERGRAD GPA, Y U MAKE MY 175 CARRY U.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm still working on my apps but I haven't submitted yet. Am I late? I feel late.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Has anyone else NOT heard anything back yet and is obsessively going through every submitted application to see if there is some terrible typo or some other mistake there? No? Just me? :( :( :(

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Walliums wrote:I'm still working on my apps but I haven't submitted yet. Am I late? I feel late.
I feel the same. I have only submitted to Northeastern so far because they don't have an option for a diversity statement and I was struggling with the ending on mine.
I'm done now and trying to hold off and very patiently proofread everything else, but it's hard to not just hit submit and be done with it.
On an objective level though, no, it's not late. I believe the credited response is that before Thanksgiving it's still early, although it sure doesn't feel that way when people are talking about their interviews and acceptances.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Piggy11 wrote:
Walliums wrote:I'm still working on my apps but I haven't submitted yet. Am I late? I feel late.
I feel the same. I have only submitted to Northeastern so far because they don't have an option for a diversity statement and I was struggling with the ending on mine.
I'm done now and trying to hold off and very patiently proofread everything else, but it's hard to not just hit submit and be done with it.
On an objective level though, no, it's not late. I believe the credited response is that before Thanksgiving it's still early, although it sure doesn't feel that way when people are talking about their interviews and acceptances.
Before thanksgiving is still early, and remember that TLS and to some degree the respective forum on Reddit is reflective of a very small sample size that’s achieving high and getting everything out of the way. You’re fine! Just submit a strong app.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

If there's anything I've learned on here, it's that someone on TLS is always doing better than you--so don't compare yourself to people on here. I thought Thanksgiving was way early for apps and then I saw people gunning at 12:01 September 1st. TLS is definitely not representative of the general public lol

WilliamFaulkner

New

Post by WilliamFaulkner » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Minor heart attack: blanketing the T14, applying today. My personal statement is in 11 pt, not 12 pt, font. Whose rules am I breaking?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:39 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:Minor heart attack: blanketing the T14, applying today. My personal statement is in 11 pt, not 12 pt, font. Whose rules am I breaking?
My PS was 11pt and I applied to all but Y, S, and UC-B. I'm not 100%, but I checked the instructions on the LSAC application for each school to which I applied, and I never remember seeing anything dictating 12pt. Just check the instructions as you build each app.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:If there's anything I've learned on here, it's that someone on TLS is always doing better than you--so don't compare yourself to people on here. I thought Thanksgiving was way early for apps and then I saw people gunning at 12:01 September 1st. TLS is definitely not representative of the general public lol
Isn't December the most frequently applied with score?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:32 pm

WilliamFaulkner wrote:Minor heart attack: blanketing the T14, applying today. My personal statement is in 11 pt, not 12 pt, font. Whose rules am I breaking?
As far as I know, the only font requirement I saw for the T14 was that the font size couldn’t be less than 11. It’s not a T14, but UCLA was the only school I applied to that required 12 point font.
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am

Jack_Kelly wrote: Isn't December the most frequently applied with score?
I don't recall but I remember from Spivey's podcast that anything before Thanksgiving is early and anything before Halloween is super early so that would make sense

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Is there a resource with really strong advice on how to write the "Why X" essays? I am struggling to get started and I have read that they are crucial for some schools, such as Penn, Michigan, and Duke.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

CottonHarvest wrote:Is there a resource with really strong advice on how to write the "Why X" essays? I am struggling to get started and I have read that they are crucial for some schools, such as Penn, Michigan, and Duke.
It might be a good idea to peruse the school site - whether its the clinics or student groups or the city etc. Then do some googling and see if other stuff pops up. Google some faculty you'd like to work with! The Why X should be organic when you write it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”