Went from 158 to a 166, already deposited Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lilyanne

New

Went from 158 to a 166, already deposited

Post by lilyanne » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

I already deposited at GMU; I already had a scholarship that left with only 2700k per year in tuition. I was also accepted to GW earlier with a 158, but only got a 10k scholarship, so I decided not to deposit. I already signed a lease in the area; I wasn't expecting such a big increase, I would've been happy with a 159. What would be a good move?

AJordan

Silver

Re: Went from 158 to a 166, already deposited

Post by AJordan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Send GW a letter with your new score and tell them you would be willing to reconsider if they would be willing to match GMU's offer. Otherwise, find something to do for a year in DC that allows you to pay the rent and reapply next cycle.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 pm

AJordan wrote:Send GW a letter with your new score and tell them you would be willing to reconsider if they would be willing to match GMU's offer. Otherwise, find something to do for a year in DC that allows you to pay the rent and reapply next cycle.
Last edited by lilyanne on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 pm

lilyanne wrote:
AJordan wrote:Send GW a letter with your new score and tell them you would be willing to reconsider if they would be willing to match GMU's offer. Otherwise, find something to do for a year in DC that allows you to pay the rent and reapply next cycle.
Do you think they'll be willing to play ball so late? Is an app to Georgetown out of the question?
No, I certainly don't think it's likely but it costs you the grand total of 2 minutes to formulate an e-mail. Georgetown depends on your GPA. If you're above their 75th I think you should apply there next cycle.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

01panm

New

Post by 01panm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 pm

lilyanne wrote:
Do you think they'll be willing to play ball so late? Is an app to Georgetown out of the question?
They may or may not. If they aren't, you're better off applying next cycle. Going to GMU will a 166 is short changing yourself imo - I'm assuming that you have a strong GPA/URM status, given that you got nearly full tuition with a 158.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm

01panm wrote:
lilyanne wrote:
They may or may not. If they aren't, you're better off applying next cycle. Going to GMU will a 166 is short changing yourself imo - I'm assuming that you have a strong GPA/URM status, given that you got nearly full tuition with a 158.

3.76. Not URM at all.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:34 pm

A non-URM with your numbers and a 169 got ED at N'Western. Your outcomes with just 3 more LSAT points could be life changing. Don't rule out taking it in September. You'd likely have your results OCT 1, in plenty of time to apply early in the cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lemuritis
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 pm

AJordan wrote:A non-URM with your numbers and a 169 got ED at N'Western. Your outcomes with just 3 more LSAT points could be life changing. Don't rule out taking it in September. You'd likely have your results OCT 1, in plenty of time to apply early in the cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lemuritis

Update: I haggled with GW and they upped my scholarship to 132,000. Tuition would still be 14k a year, in addition to any tuition increases. I asked GMU to increase my scholarship as well, although I haven't heard back. I'm debt averse and I'm not big law or bust so waiting a cycle to get into t14 wouldn't do much good. My costs of living are also taken care of for the most part. Assuming I could get full tuition at GMU, I don't know what the better option is, as LST gives them relatively similar employment scores

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:45 pm

lilyanne wrote:
AJordan wrote:A non-URM with your numbers and a 169 got ED at N'Western. Your outcomes with just 3 more LSAT points could be life changing. Don't rule out taking it in September. You'd likely have your results OCT 1, in plenty of time to apply early in the cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lemuritis

Update: I haggled with GW and they upped my scholarship to 132,000. Tuition would still be 14k a year, in addition to any tuition increases. I asked GMU to increase my scholarship as well, although I haven't heard back. I'm debt averse and I'm not big law or bust so waiting a cycle to get into t14 wouldn't do much good. My costs of living are also taken care of for the most part. Assuming I could get full tuition at GMU, I don't know what the better option is, as LST gives them relatively similar employment scores
Honestly, you are the clear picture of waiting a year. With your GPA and LSAT, you're undercutting the future of your career on these two schools. If you could get into the 170 range you may be able to target more of the top schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:12 pm

barkschool wrote:
lilyanne wrote:

Honestly, you are the clear picture of waiting a year. With your GPA and LSAT, you're undercutting the future of your career on these two schools. If you could get into the 170 range you may be able to target more of the top schools.
Last edited by lilyanne on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 pm

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/gw/

2012: 60.2%
2013: 62.9%
2014: 65.4%
2015: 64.7%
2016: 67.2%

Risky proposition I would say.

Compare these numbers to a comparable school like, say, BC or ND (with lower LSAT/GPA, but similar biglaw/fed outcomes, with better overall employment #s):

BC:
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/bc/
2012: 65%
2013: 63.6%
2014: 74.4%
2015: 76.9%
2016: 80.6%

ND:
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/notredame/
2012: 62.8%
2013: 70.1%
2014: 66.5%
2015: 73.7%
2016: 76.2%

Btw, you are aware that LSAC is getting rid of the 3-time limit rule, right?

"Dear LSAT Rumors: The rumors are true. In the past, you could only take the LSAT three times in any two-year period. But beginning with the September 2017 LSAT, LSAC will remove retesting limitations. This is tied to its plans to add additional administrations beyond the current four."

Source: https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/ ... iating-aid

So you can take the September/October (whenever it is administered this yr), December and even Feb and June next year if you want to.

Even if that 166 was a fluke, would be worth the try to raise it even by one point, which will completely change your cycle trajectory with your GPA.

Further, even if your score doesn't increase, you can still give it a try to lower T14s + other regionals in the range that have better outcomes than GW, better scholarship, and better Cost of Living. GW might carry more weight in DC compared to other regional schools, but it's better to be employed than to be jobless in your desired market.

Honestly, I'm jealous about being able to retake without limitations now.

Reapply on September 1st, register for the October LSAT, retake, and see what turns up. It'll be a better cycle with more $, and trust me, law school isn't going anywhere. One year might seem like a lot but compared to the name of school that will be attached to you for the rest of your life, it's not a big wait.
Last edited by screwtapeletters on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Additionally, you're at the medians for last year's admits to GULC.

If you raise that score you could go a school that out places GW in the area you want to live.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 pm

lilyanne wrote:

I mean, first of all, way to go getting more money out of GW. If your housing is taken care of there and it wouldn't be elsewhere GW at 50k is not a terrible outcome. It's not great, but it's way better than where you were before. I'm not you so I don't know your situation. I just linked one guy's success with three more points. I wish you luck either way. I think GMU for free is better than GW at 50k honestly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:44 pm

barkschool wrote:Additionally, you're at the medians for last year's admits to GULC.

If you raise that score you could go a school that out places GW in the area you want to live.
There may be some nonzero chance that GMU/GW get pissy for OP turning down those offers and then being stuck with GTown and a 200k Cost of Attendance. This case is actually interesting to me. If OP is DC leashed I think GMU for free this year may be the best option.

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 pm

P.S.
If you must choose between the two, go to GW. Also, know that once you strike out from OCI, competition at these regional schools are going to be FIERCE for ANY job that comes up in symplicity+@. Collegiality in law school is fostered in top schools, because they know they are all guaranteed to go somewhere (I know this because I'm at one of these GW-type of regional schools, and I struggled a lot to get a job, and I have a ton of friends without one taking multiple bars to be marketable.... it's not fun, I gotta tell you.).

lilyanne

New

Post by lilyanne » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”