. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Meowcats

New

Post by Meowcats » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by Meowcats on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Npret

Gold

Re: NYU Law $$$$ VS HARVARD

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm

How much debt will you have from both?
If Harvard is sticker and no need based aid go to NYU.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Could you post numbers, for posterity?
NYU for sure.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Generally, for people interested in private practice, I would say $$$ over H. But for clerkship, H would significantly boost your chances. Depending on the strength of your interest in gov work, H may be a good option here.

And would H be fin aid + full debt then? I wouldn't advise taking on full debt even with some aid but depending on your current fin situation H could make sense here given you goals.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:17 pm

nerd1 wrote:Generally, for people interested in private practice, I would say $$$ over H. But for clerkship, H would significantly boost your chances. Depending on the strength of your interest in gov work, H may be a good option here.

And would H be fin aid + full debt then? I wouldn't advise taking on full debt even with some aid but depending on your current fin situation H could make sense here given you goals.
A one-year job that won't have a particularly strong influence on a career in admin law is not worth $150k.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 pm

nerd1 wrote:Generally, for people interested in private practice, I would say $$$ over H. But for clerkship, H would significantly boost your chances. Depending on the strength of your interest in gov work, H may be a good option here.

no way is the marginally better chance at getting a clerkship that you may have at harvard worth 150k. nyu is easy choice here absent significant need aid from harvard.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm

No it doesn't.

Meowcats

New

Post by Meowcats » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Last edited by Meowcats on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Meowcats wrote:OP here, I have the first year at HLS covered by savings. Not sure about financial aid but Im sure I'll get a little (acting under the assumption of none though). Also interested in politics (but of course, I'm going to law school to be a lawyer)
As is standard practice when looking for this advice, can you please give us the cost of attendance of each.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 pm

If you can cover the first year at HLS with savings ($92K going off their published COA) you could use the same savings + your NYU scholly to graduate debt free. Congrats OP. Really think you should go to NYU, no (or very little) debt for essentially the same opportunities.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Meowcats wrote:OP here, I have the first year at HLS covered by savings.
Savings that you won't have to spend if you're at NYU. It all counts.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

lakers180 wrote:

no way is the marginally better chance at getting a clerkship that you may have at harvard worth 150k. nyu is easy choice here absent significant need aid from harvard.
This is I think mostly just self-selection. But from what I observed, my classmates at H interested in clerking all got some fed clerkship whereas although I know quite a lot of people at NYU Law, very few of them are clerking. Self-selection and small sample though. But connections I have heard are important for clerkships and if an actually signiciant difference exists that could account for that. I don't know a lot about clerking. Just my observation.

Full debt would be too much. Now that I am finishing law school I wouldn't go to any law school financed totally by debt. I was fortunate enough to not be in that situation though.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:44 pm

nerd1 wrote:
lakers180 wrote: no way is the marginally better chance at getting a clerkship that you may have at harvard worth 150k. nyu is easy choice here absent significant need aid from harvard.
This is I think mostly just self-selection. But from what I observed, my classmates at H interested in clerking all got some fed clerkship whereas although I know quite a lot of people at NYU Law, very few of them are clerking.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you saying that, as a percentage of the class, fewer students want to clerk at HLS than NYU? That seems unlikely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
lakers180 wrote: no way is the marginally better chance at getting a clerkship that you may have at harvard worth 150k. nyu is easy choice here absent significant need aid from harvard.
This is I think mostly just self-selection. But from what I observed, my classmates at H interested in clerking all got some fed clerkship whereas although I know quite a lot of people at NYU Law, very few of them are clerking.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you saying that, as a percentage of the class, fewer students want to clerk at HLS than NYU? That seems unlikely.

Yeah that's what I meant. I have no empirical data on that and I can't be bothered to take it far but it's probably true that NYU and Columbia have more transactional types

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm

nerd1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant. I have no empirical data on that and I can't be bothered to take it far but it's probably true that NYU and Columbia have more transactional types
But wouldn't that factor cut the other way, because transactional attorneys are (by definition) not litigators and therefore do not generally benefit from clerkships?

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

But wouldn't that factor cut the other way, because transactional attorneys are (by definition) not litigators and therefore do not generally benefit from clerkships?
No I guess I misstated something. I meant there are less people wanting to clerk at NYU so that I observed fewer people clerking. If that is chiefly why the number is smaller than the figure for H, then I cannot say that one's chances of getting a clerkship is s lot higher by going to H because clerkship gunners select themselves into H.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm

nerd1 wrote:
No I guess I misstated something. I meant there are less people wanting to clerk at NYU so that I observed fewer people clerking.
Yeah, this is what I was responding to: "But from what I observed, my classmates at H interested in clerking all got some fed clerkship whereas although I know quite a lot of people at NYU Law, very few of them are clerking." That sure sounded like you were saying that everyone at HLS who wants a clerkship gets one, whereas its harder for students at NYU.

In any event, I do think that HLS gives its students a slightly better shot at clerking. That better chance sure isn't worth $150K, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 am

Just as we told you to take the Dillard, take NYU.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: .

Post by Rigo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Geez OP you don't need to always be so skiddish. This is a safe space.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”