NYU c/o 2020 -- WAIT LIST (New Poll!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

Applicant Confirmed on Wait List
54%
UR 1
1%
UR 2
4%
DLS
1%
In off the WL!!
17%
Just here to point and laugh
24%

Total votes: 160

Instrumental

Silver

Re: NYU c/o 2020 -- WAIT LIST (New Poll!)

Post by Instrumental » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I personally would not. I'm not sending any more LOCIs beyond the one I sent immediately after getting put on WL. Sincerely don't think it helps at this point. That being said, I don't know if it would hurt either, so if you have good updates to share then you may want to do it.

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Instrumental wrote:So if you have good updates to share then you may want to do it.
Nope. Nothing exciting in my life other than a much needed summer break. Oh well.

skurfy

New

Post by skurfy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Over 48 hours without a peep in here :shock:

Do we imagine the next UR wave will come after the deposit deadline for most recent WL admits?

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 pm

skurfy wrote:Over 48 hours without a peep in here :shock:

Do we imagine the next UR wave will come after the deposit deadline for most recent WL admits?
Columbia sent out a WL movement email today apparently, if there's movement there soon, you might see some trickle down movement at NYU.

skurfy

New

Post by skurfy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:43 am

Zipman wrote:
skurfy wrote:Over 48 hours without a peep in here :shock:

Columbia sent out a WL movement email today apparently, if there's movement there soon, you might see some trickle down movement at NYU.
You're talking about Tuesday's 2nd Reserve e-mails right? Hadn't heard of a second wave today so have basically given up hope on Columbia

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:58 am

Of the three withdrawal emails I sent this morning, this one was the most difficult for me to write.
But I did what I had to do, for personal reasons, & I'm ready to embrace the path I've chosen.

It's been quite the journey with you all, my late waiters. but as they say in Jersey, Valar Morghulis.

Best wishes to my best pals in here. Y'all made waiting and hating on NYU so much fun for me.

barkerintokyo

New

Post by barkerintokyo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Of the three withdrawal emails I sent this morning, this one was the most difficult for me to write.
But I did what I had to do, for personal reasons, & I'm ready to embrace the path I've chosen.

It's been quite the journey with you all, my late waiters. but as they say in Jersey, Valar Morghulis.

Best wishes to my best pals in here. Y'all made waiting and hating on NYU so much fun for me.
End of an era! Who will lead this group in uncontrolled anxiety???

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Of the three withdrawal emails I sent this morning, this one was the most difficult for me to write.

Oh Sybill. I'm sad to see you go, but I'm glad you're making a choice that's right for you.

ktgjoon

New

Post by ktgjoon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am

We will miss you but I'm so happy for you and that you can let go of the craziness of all of this! I had an advisor tell me recently "I've learned over time to prioritize people/places/etc. that make it abundantly clear how much I'm valued and wanted. Took a couple decades to learn that...but it's a valuable life lesson." That advice helped me going forward and I hope it does for you too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 am

What?!??! omfg, didn't expect this at all. Thought you were in til the bitter end. Well, good luck to you and best wishes. Hope everything is okay.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks, guys.

It was truly a tough decision but I needed to do it, mostly to secure my mental and emotional health - prized possessions for the law school experience. The three years are going to suck enough as they are; a negative attitude, unmet expectations, and unrequited-love inspired depression will make law school far worse for me. With my LSAT, I honestly had no shot, so it also was time to get real. Excited for my next move and can't wait to see where you all end up. Stay positive & keep the faith! I'm really rooting for you.

schmem

New

Post by schmem » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 am

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Thanks, guys.

It was truly a tough decision but I needed to do it, mostly to secure my mental and emotional health - prized possessions for the law school experience. The three years are going to suck enough as they are; a negative attitude, unmet expectations, and unrequited-love inspired depression will make law school far worse for me. With my LSAT, I honestly had no shot, so it also was time to get real. Excited for my next move and can't wait to see where you all end up. Stay positive & keep the faith! I'm really rooting for you.
Thanks for being such a great source of humor and information! Would you mind sharing where you're headed?

eastring

New

Post by eastring » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:45 pm

I guess there's not much movement on the waitlist for NYU this year?!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm

eastring wrote:I guess there's not much movement on the waitlist for NYU this year?!
Could just be that most of the movement will be later on. Could also be more spread out. We've had two decent sized waves though.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:03 am

Instrumental wrote:
eastring wrote:I guess there's not much movement on the waitlist for NYU this year?!
Could just be that most of the movement will be later on. Could also be more spread out. We've had two decent sized waves though.
I think usually by Jun 15 the waitlist movement is done. There are still small tweaks later in the summer, but generally unlikely for 90% of the remaining people on the waitlist. I will still wait till July 5 to sign my lease - NYU, please don't let me down!

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:59 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
I think usually by Jun 15 the waitlist movement is done. There are still small tweaks later in the summer, but generally unlikely for 90% of the remaining people on the waitlist.
[cries internally]

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Instrumental wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
I think usually by Jun 15 the waitlist movement is done. There are still small tweaks later in the summer, but generally unlikely for 90% of the remaining people on the waitlist.
[cries internally]
D:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
I think usually by Jun 15 the waitlist movement is done. There are still small tweaks later in the summer, but generally unlikely for 90% of the remaining people on the waitlist. I will still wait till July 5 to sign my lease - NYU, please don't let me down!

Please - don't fret.
Spivey already said NYU still has offers to make and said that this will be a wild WL summer, all the way down to the end of it. June 15 is like the halfway point. Youre not out until they tell you. And if you have the financial means to stay on - i would suggest you do so.

Also - I was admitted in this wave, and I have a very close friend who was admitted last wave also. I though maybe they were looking for URMs, but his stats were pretty similar and non-URM. Also, we both didnt send LOCIs, which seems to suggest that they have very specific needs and know what theyre looking for. FYI

PS - Also - i thought i was rejected from the school when they sent an additional waitlist confirm email, so i never responded. so NYU actually withdrew me from their waitlist. I wrote them immediately. and i lucked out. so anything can happen

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Ash...mind pming me yalls rough #s?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Instrumental wrote:

Please - don't fret.
Spivey already said NYU still has offers to make and said that this will be a wild WL summer, all the way down to the end of it. June 15 is like the halfway point. Youre not out until they tell you. And if you have the financial means to stay on - i would suggest you do so.

Also - I was admitted in this wave, and I have a very close friend who was admitted last wave also. I though maybe they were looking for URMs, but his stats were pretty similar and non-URM. Also, we both didnt send LOCIs, which seems to suggest that they have very specific needs and know what theyre looking for. FYI

PS - Also - i thought i was rejected from the school when they sent an additional waitlist confirm email, so i never responded. so NYU actually withdrew me from their waitlist. I wrote them immediately. and i lucked out. so anything can happen
Thanks! I believe it confirms the TLS suspicion that NYU really does not care about LOCIs. Thanks for the encouragement.
When you say "have the financial means to stay on" - what do you mean? Why would one not have the financial means to stay on a waitlist - does it cost money?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Melmel, I sort of assume he means likely having to pay sticker, but I'm not really certain. There's no real cost of remaining on a WL other than possibly not getting the aid you warrant. I suppose there are other costs - i.e. possibly wasting money on breaking a lease from having to sign up for housing elsewhere, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm

34iplaw wrote:Melmel, I sort of assume he means likely having to pay sticker, but I'm not really certain. There's no real cost of remaining on a WL other than possibly not getting the aid you warrant. I suppose there are other costs - i.e. possibly wasting money on breaking a lease from having to sign up for housing elsewhere, etc.
Partly this and other things. - Georgetown and other scholls have large deposit prices. While some can afford this, others cant' Also the thought of paying sticker. This froum is almost anti any debt from any T14 at more than 100K, but i think thats a bit conservative ( and thankfully many her lawyers ive spoken to agree with me).

However, if youre in the position that you CANT fathom sticker (i have no ug debt for one, some savings, parents helpinga little here and there) - then staying on the NYU WL is a waste of time.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
34iplaw wrote:Melmel, I sort of assume he means likely having to pay sticker, but I'm not really certain. There's no real cost of remaining on a WL other than possibly not getting the aid you warrant. I suppose there are other costs - i.e. possibly wasting money on breaking a lease from having to sign up for housing elsewhere, etc.
Partly this and other things. - Georgetown and other scholls have large deposit prices. While some can afford this, others cant' Also the thought of paying sticker. This froum is almost anti any debt from any T14 at more than 100K, but i think thats a bit conservative ( and thankfully many her lawyers ive spoken to agree with me).

However, if youre in the position that you CANT fathom sticker (i have no ug debt for one, some savings, parents helpinga little here and there) - then staying on the NYU WL is a waste of time.
I see! If the cost is paying sticker, then that is a significant cost. I'm not necessarily set on paying sticker at NYU over Duke with money. but I would like to consider that thoroughly when the choice actually arises. Otherwise, I feel like I'm wasting my energy contemplating a scenario that may never arise. Regarding the debt scenario, I think some are more debt averse than others. I'm generally fine with paying for school, but I could be just unintentionally ripping my parents off.

muggleclutch

New

Post by muggleclutch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm

What if you get off a waitlist so late that you've already paid tuition at another school - like potentially after the first day of classes if your school starts earlier? That would be a huge potential cost if there are no mechanisms in place to deal with this, and I haven't read anything before that suggests there are.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

muggleclutch wrote:What if you get off a waitlist so late that you've already paid tuition at another school - like potentially after the first day of classes if your school starts earlier? That would be a huge potential cost if there are no mechanisms in place to deal with this, and I haven't read anything before that suggests there are.

I have no idea how this works with financial aid (assuming federal aid), but I don't fuss about it too much. I'm sure if that were to happen to me that it would not be the first time that either school's financial aid office had dealt with that situation. I imagine you'll lose out on some money - as far as I can tell when you withdraw there's usually some sort of financial penalty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”