Yale Waitlist c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you depositing while you wait?

SLS
8%
HLS
32%
UChi
11%
CLS
9%
NYU
4%
Penn
2%
Mich
6%
UVA
5%
Other (let us know when you check in!)
25%

Total votes: 104

curry1

Silver

Re: Yale Waitlist c/o 2020

Post by curry1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:14 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
VapidP wrote:This might be a silly question, but do people get "rejected" off the waitlist? Or do they just sit in obscurity until their deadline comes around?
It doesn't sound like they ding people from the WL (which I think HLS does). It sounds like they just keep everyone on until their deadline passes or they close the class on registration day (which I guess counts as a ding).
"Over the next few months, we will periodically review the people on our wait list and release some of them, so the number of people on the wait list dwindles as we go through the summer."

ahendrix3

New

Post by ahendrix3 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Checking in, wl at HYS and depositing at Columbia in the meantime.
Last edited by ahendrix3 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 am

curry1 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
VapidP wrote:This might be a silly question, but do people get "rejected" off the waitlist? Or do they just sit in obscurity until their deadline comes around?
It doesn't sound like they ding people from the WL (which I think HLS does). It sounds like they just keep everyone on until their deadline passes or they close the class on registration day (which I guess counts as a ding).
"Over the next few months, we will periodically review the people on our wait list and release some of them, so the number of people on the wait list dwindles as we go through the summer."
That's from the 2010 post. The email we got didn't mention anything about removing people, but of course that doesn't mean they don't do it. I guess we will see!

kpadoreo

New

Post by kpadoreo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 am

What's the deal with accepting an offer at another school (HLS in my case) and staying on the waitlist? Do I have to inform Harvard that I'm on the waitlist for another school?

defydoddz

New

Post by defydoddz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:46 am

ahendrix3 wrote:Checking in, wl at HYS and deposting at Columbia in the meantime.
also waitlisted at HYS and depositing at Columbia! Hoping the odds are in our favor! Good Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:50 pm

defydoddz wrote:
ahendrix3 wrote:Checking in, wl at HYS and deposting at Columbia in the meantime.
also waitlisted at HYS and depositing at Columbia! Hoping the odds are in our favor! Good Luck!
I was going to ask how many people were on other waitlists as well. I'm riding Stanford's as well.

ahendrix3

New

Post by ahendrix3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

defydoddz wrote:
Same to you! Somebody's gotta let us in lol

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

kpadoreo wrote:What's the deal with accepting an offer at another school (HLS in my case) and staying on the waitlist? Do I have to inform Harvard that I'm on the waitlist for another school?
I don't think so? Is anyone else doing this?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:58 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
kpadoreo wrote:What's the deal with accepting an offer at another school (HLS in my case) and staying on the waitlist? Do I have to inform Harvard that I'm on the waitlist for another school?
I don't think so? Is anyone else doing this?
Nah, no requirement there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm

So I spent about 15 minutes creeping on the Waitlist Purgatory thread, and this might be just me being super naive and not discovering this site until literally two weeks ago, but is there really much of a point to sending LOCIs to Yale? Barring a significant job or grade change?

I figure at this point, Yale will either take me or they won't, based on the shifting class composition, and no formal letter informing them of what they already know - how much I want in - will change anything. Also it's Yale - don't they really, really hate folks directly emailing them things?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 pm

NotPanicking wrote:So I spent about 15 minutes creeping on the Waitlist Purgatory thread, and this might be just me being super naive and not discovering this site until literally two weeks ago, but is there really much of a point to sending LOCIs to Yale? Barring a significant job or grade change?

I figure at this point, Yale will either take me or they won't, based on the shifting class composition, and no formal letter informing them of what they already know - how much I want in - will change anything. Also it's Yale - don't they really, really hate folks directly emailing them things?
From the WL email:

"If there is additional information that you would like to add to your application (such as additional letters of recommendation, spring term grades, etc.), please feel free to submit it directly to our office. This additional information, along with your original application materials, will be reviewed in the event a seat becomes available."

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 pm

NotPanicking wrote:So I spent about 15 minutes creeping on the Waitlist Purgatory thread, and this might be just me being super naive and not discovering this site until literally two weeks ago, but is there really much of a point to sending LOCIs to Yale? Barring a significant job or grade change?

Asha answers that here: https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... -freakshow

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
defydoddz wrote:
I was going to ask how many people were on other waitlists as well. I'm riding Stanford's as well.
I'm on stanford's as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Whittie

Bronze

Post by Whittie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 am

Checking in. Waitlists for Stanford and Yale.

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 am

hammy393 wrote:

Asha answers that here: https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... -freakshow
WOWOWOW that video was painful to watch, but this post is beautiful, god bless you.

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 am

seeprybyrun wrote:

From the WL email:

"If there is additional information that you would like to add to your application (such as additional letters of recommendation, spring term grades, etc.), please feel free to submit it directly to our office. This additional information, along with your original application materials, will be reviewed in the event a seat becomes available."
My interpretation of that part was similar to their allowance of four letters of recommendation - that doesn't mean you should actually send four, you know?

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am

NotPanicking wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:

From the WL email:

My interpretation of that part was similar to their allowance of four letters of recommendation - that doesn't mean you should actually send four, you know?
Definitely. It was more just to point out that if you do have something legitimate to send, they said it was OK to email it to them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am

Also, I'd like to point out that almost half the freakin' waitlist is made up of TLSers, going by the number of votes in the poll.

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am

seeprybyrun wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that almost half the freakin' waitlist is made up of TLSers, going by the number of votes in the poll.
this is actually really impressive

blessup

New

Post by blessup » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am

catalina559 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that almost half the freakin' waitlist is made up of TLSers, going by the number of votes in the poll.
this is actually really impressive
Similar numbers (40-50) in past years' WL threads.

catalina559

New

Post by catalina559 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Does anyone know if Yale will let you do a campus visit/sit in on a class if you're waitlisted?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 pm

catalina559 wrote:Does anyone know if Yale will let you do a campus visit/sit in on a class if you're waitlisted?
According to Asha's post linked above, waitlisted people are welcome to visit the law school on their own, and are encouraged to do so if that is important to you. Should you be offered a spot in the class, you'd only have 24-72 hours to accept/decline.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:08 am

Checking in.

Waitlisted here and at HLS. Depositing at Columbia in the meantime.

Best of luck to everyone riding it out!

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 am

RictusErectus wrote:Checking in.

May God have mercy on your soul and let you off one of those waitlists.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:50 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:Checking in.

May God have mercy on your soul and let you off one of those waitlists.
May God bless you and give you what your heart desires.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”