Yale Waitlist c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Where are you depositing while you wait?

SLS
8%
HLS
32%
UChi
11%
CLS
9%
NYU
4%
Penn
2%
Mich
6%
UVA
5%
Other (let us know when you check in!)
25%

Total votes: 104

alpha kenny body

Gold

Re: Yale Waitlist c/o 2020

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
kpadoreo wrote:What's the deal with accepting an offer at another school (HLS in my case) and staying on the waitlist? Do I have to inform Harvard that I'm on the waitlist for another school?
I don't think so? Is anyone else doing this?
I am (exact same circumstances). I may retake in June to see if it'll help, idk yet.

Whittie

Bronze

Post by Whittie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm

fips tedora wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
kpadoreo wrote:What's the deal with accepting an offer at another school (HLS in my case) and staying on the waitlist? Do I have to inform Harvard that I'm on the waitlist for another school?
I am (exact same circumstances). I may retake in June to see if it'll help, idk yet.
My understanding is that you can accept an offer of admission while remaining on any waitlists. You just can't accept more than one offer of admission.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Whittie wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
My understanding is that you can accept an offer of admission while remaining on any waitlists. You just can't accept more than one offer of admission.
You have to tell the school that you're withdrawing to accept another offer.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 am

Any advice as to whether it is worth sending Yale a link to my undergraduate thesis (I was in the process of finishing when I applied and I indicated as such on my resume, but it's published now). I've got a few other things I can updates as well (top GPA in my college, some new work positions, etc.) that I'd probably throw in with it.

dyebri

Bronze

Post by dyebri » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Does anyone know if yale will send me back confirmation thay they recieved my email that i will like to stay on the waitlist

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Any advice as to whether it is worth sending Yale a link to my undergraduate thesis (I was in the process of finishing when I applied and I indicated as such on my resume, but it's published now). I've got a few other things I can updates as well (top GPA in my college, some new work positions, etc.) that I'd probably throw in with it.
Don't. Dean Rangappa says specifically not to do this in her blog posts.

ETA: I mean just the thesis. She says what kinds of things you could include in a LOCI if you want to dig through her posts.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 pm

LSRAT wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Any advice as to whether it is worth sending Yale a link to my undergraduate thesis (I was in the process of finishing when I applied and I indicated as such on my resume, but it's published now). I've got a few other things I can updates as well (top GPA in my college, some new work positions, etc.) that I'd probably throw in with it.
Don't. Dean Rangappa says specifically not to do this in her blog posts.

ETA: I mean just the thesis. She says what kinds of things you could include in a LOCI if you want to dig through her posts.
Oh. Good to know lol

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 pm

HLS was super great.
Anyone else having WL doubts?

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Monday wrote: A link, as you suggest, appears to be fine:
Asha wrote:4. Supplemental Materials. Please don't. If I want to read your thesis, I will ask for it. (I have done this exactly once in my entire time as Admissions Dean -- to someone who was already admitted. He had done some mathematical modeling of traffic flow through the Holland Tunnel and, having spent a good portion of my waking hours while living in NYC stuck in that tunnel, I was curious. But that's it.) Other things -- work writing samples, video clips, news articles -- honestly, I just don't have the time. If there is a specific accomplishment about which you'd like us to know, you can send us a short -- short! -- statement indicating what it is, with a link or a polite offer to provide more information by request. Ideally, you would combine any such updates into your LOCI (see #2) so that you provide a professional, comprehensive, and concise update to your file which reiterates your interest.
Source
Meh, I think the bolded speaks to whether you should. I'd say adding the thesis title on your resume makes more sense but I'm definitely no expert.

ETA: I just think it makes more sense to provide a condensed LOCI containing info she's stated she'd actually read.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:53 pm

LSRAT wrote:
Asha wrote:4. Supplemental Materials. Please don't. If I want to read your thesis, I will ask for it. (I have done this exactly once in my entire time as Admissions Dean -- to someone who was already admitted. He had done some mathematical modeling of traffic flow through the Holland Tunnel and, having spent a good portion of my waking hours while living in NYC stuck in that tunnel, I was curious. But that's it.) Other things -- work writing samples, video clips, news articles -- honestly, I just don't have the time. If there is a specific accomplishment about which you'd like us to know, you can send us a short -- short! -- statement indicating what it is, with a link or a polite offer to provide more information by request. Ideally, you would combine any such updates into your LOCI (see #2) so that you provide a professional, comprehensive, and concise update to your file which reiterates your interest.
Source
Meh, I think the bolded speaks to whether you should. I'd say adding the thesis title on your resume makes more sense but I'm definitely no expert.

ETA: I just think it makes more sense to provide a condensed LOCI containing info she's stated she'd actually read.
Yea I would not send the thesis. She says send a link for a "specific accomplishment" that you REALLY want her to know about -- but she's pretty clear about not caring about a thesis

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Monday wrote:
LSRAT wrote:
Source

Providing a link in your LOCI takes no space at all. And let's be clear: "LOCI containing info she's stated she'd actually read" is just an "I will attend Yale" statement and even that, she doesn't weigh heavily since many applicants lie on that front. I'm suggesting folding the link into the LOCI (no. 2) rather than sending a supplemental material (no. 4), which is what she doesn't want.
Yeah, I don't think it's make or break, haha. But that also makes sense. Could really just depend on what your LOCI is focusing on. For instance if it's "my thesis topic was XYZ which really makes me want to go to Yale because ABC and here's a link" that would work well I'm sure. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't send a bound copy with an edible arrangement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 pm

LSRAT

Bronze

Post by LSRAT » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Monday wrote:
LSRAT wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's make or break, haha. But that also makes sense. Could really just depend on what your LOCI is focusing on. For instance if it's "my thesis topic was XYZ which really makes me want to go to Yale because ABC and here's a link" that would work well I'm sure. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't send a bound copy with an edible arrangement.
Exactly, and speaking of edible arrangements, I miss ood's terrible trolling.
+180.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 pm

This is my second time on the waitlist for Yale (do I unlock an achievement for this?), and last year I received a confirmation after 4-5 business days. I would give them a bit more time though because they seem a bit more backlogged this year, but definitely check-in because mine didn't go through to file initially.

Good luck to all! :)
Saw this post on the main YLS applicants thread. Did any of you receive any confirmation of your intent to stay on the waitlist (I think not) or follow up with the office?

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm

RictusErectus wrote:
This is my second time on the waitlist for Yale (do I unlock an achievement for this?), and last year I received a confirmation after 4-5 business days. I would give them a bit more time though because they seem a bit more backlogged this year, but definitely check-in because mine didn't go through to file initially.

Good luck to all! :)
Saw this post on the main YLS applicants thread. Did any of you receive any confirmation of your intent to stay on the waitlist (I think not) or follow up with the office?
I didn't receive confirmation, but I haven't followed up, either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hellsbelles1

New

Post by hellsbelles1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:01 am

Got a confirmation email about staying on the waitlist today! Sent in my form a week ago.

lsa16

Bronze

Post by lsa16 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 am

hellsbelles1 wrote:Got a confirmation email about staying on the waitlist today! Sent in my form a week ago.
+1

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:33 am

LSRAT wrote:
Monday wrote:
LSRAT wrote:
Source

Providing a link in your LOCI takes no space at all. And let's be clear: "LOCI containing info she's stated she'd actually read" is just an "I will attend Yale" statement and even that, she doesn't weigh heavily since many applicants lie on that front. I'm suggesting folding the link into the LOCI (no. 2) rather than sending a supplemental material (no. 4), which is what she doesn't want.
Yeah, I don't think it's make or break, haha. But that also makes sense. Could really just depend on what your LOCI is focusing on. For instance if it's "my thesis topic was XYZ which really makes me want to go to Yale because ABC and here's a link" that would work well I'm sure. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't send a bound copy with an edible arrangement.
Yeah, I would never just like mail a whole 80 page copy or whatever, I just thought since I was still in the process of completing it when I applied it might be relevant to update and say its been finished. Plus, academia is a career goal (its a primary reason why Yale is my top choice), so research and writing are pretty relevant.

hellsbelles1

New

Post by hellsbelles1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 pm

Does anyone have a sense of timeline with the waitlist? I tried to find last year's thread, but I'm not sure they made one and the regular Yale thread was very sparse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whatislife

New

Post by whatislife » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:50 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:HLS was super great.
Anyone else having WL doubts?
+1. Honestly I loved HLS at ASW, I loved Boston, and I'm not sure that I'd run over to Yale in a heartbeat even if they miraculously offered me a spot off the waitlist. I'm leaning towards taking my name off; I'm happy with my cycle as it is, and I kind of just want to move on with my life and be excited for the fall without wondering whether I have to cancel a lease last minute and whatnot.

NotPanicking

New

Post by NotPanicking » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:20 pm

lsa16 wrote:
hellsbelles1 wrote:Got a confirmation email about staying on the waitlist today! Sent in my form a week ago.
+1
Still nothing... :shock:

toto1995

New

Post by toto1995 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
+1
Same here... might call and confirm if I don't get anything by Tuesday

VapidP

Bronze

Post by VapidP » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 pm

toto1995 wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
lsa16 wrote:
+1
Same here... might call and confirm if I don't get anything by Tuesday
Damn. I was in the first round of YLS waitlist things and I literally sent it in the minute I got it and still nada =(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”