Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still standing? Where in the WL process are you?

JSNone-> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
13%
JSNone-> WL (will ride it out)
28%
JSNone-> WL (planning to withdraw)
3%
JSNone-> WL-> Dinged or/ No JS1 yet or/ No JS2 yet
14%
JSNone-> WL -> JS1 -> JS2 !!
8%
JS1 -> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
2%
JS1 -> WL (will ride it out)
30%
JS1 -> WL (planning to withdraw)
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Dinged or/ No JS1b yet or/ No JS2 yet
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Had JS1b -> JS2 !!
3%

Total votes: 64

WordsworthIsBae

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Post by WordsworthIsBae » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 am

lawlzschool wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
SpookySalem92 wrote:I wrote it as, like...a letter. Formatted as a letter (single page, single space, etc...). Is an LOCI not supposed to actually be written as a letter lol?
I formatted as a letter :)
+1
+180

Pyrex

New

Post by Pyrex » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:38 am

eck456 wrote:
meeseeks wrote:
EWofNell wrote:is staying on the waitlist binding in a way that could get me in trouble by declining an offer later? I am about 95% sure that I would accept an offer off the waitlist but that's a decision I don't feel 100% comfortable making right now and I am concerned about whether this is truly binding
Also interested in this.
I guess my question would be...what can they do to you? like not let you go to the school you said you won't go to? my friends who got in off WL said they got 24 hours to choose. it's still a choice, and you can't for-real-100% commit to it until and if it's real in the moment
Could it not hurt you if you go around for another cycle?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 am

Pyrex wrote:
eck456 wrote:
meeseeks wrote:
EWofNell wrote:is staying on the waitlist binding in a way that could get me in trouble by declining an offer later? I am about 95% sure that I would accept an offer off the waitlist but that's a decision I don't feel 100% comfortable making right now and I am concerned about whether this is truly binding
Also interested in this.
I guess my question would be...what can they do to you? like not let you go to the school you said you won't go to? my friends who got in off WL said they got 24 hours to choose. it's still a choice, and you can't for-real-100% commit to it until and if it's real in the moment
Could it not hurt you if you go around for another cycle?
oh - yes, if you're planning to reapply I was told it is much better to withdraw from the waitlists at schools (which leaves your last status as ambiguous) then turn it down if they offer you. made that call last cycle

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:50 am

eck456 wrote:
meeseeks wrote:
Also interested in this.
I feel like this question has come up a handful of times previously. No, there is nothing explicitly binding about the process as of now--I don't think it could be--and if you received the update email yesterday, it outlines the process including the 24-hour decision window.

I think it's more of a practical/ethical consideration, really. By remaining on the waitlist you're signaling that you will seriously consider an offer of admission and understand what would be required (for/of you) in order to accept. If you already know that you would either be unable or unwilling to accept the offer, you *should* drop off, but of course there's no way they would know that or be able to force you to do so. Overall I view it as a matter of consideration for others on the WL, I think. I declined WL offers at other schools where I wasn't sure I would accept an offer of admission for that reason.

myrik

New

Post by myrik » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

half moon wrote:
eck456 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
myrik wrote:Anyone who's visited HLS post-waitlist? Wondering if there's a sign-in sheet like in other law schools
Didn't know this was a thing, so I did not check for it when I was there.
Almost positive they don't have a list
I visited pre-waitlist and there was no sign-in sheet. I doubt it would be different now. If you're already up there its sort of interesting to see the campus and get a sense of the area, but there were no official things to do and they didn't keep a record.
Thanks guys! That's what I suspected, but I saw some other law schools kept track or actually let you talk to their admissions people

cue neurotic music

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:
eck456 wrote:
meeseeks wrote:
Also interested in this.
I feel like this question has come up a handful of times previously. No, there is nothing explicitly binding about the process as of now--I don't think it could be--and if you received the update email yesterday, it outlines the process including the 24-hour decision window.

I think it's more of a practical/ethical consideration, really. By remaining on the waitlist you're signaling that you will seriously consider an offer of admission and understand what would be required (for/of you) in order to accept. If you already know that you would either be unable or unwilling to accept the offer, you *should* drop off, but of course there's no way they would know that or be able to force you to do so. Overall I view it as a matter of consideration for others on the WL, I think. I declined WL offers at other schools where I wasn't sure I would accept an offer of admission for that reason.
+1

Planning on withdrawing from some waitlists that I wouldn't seriously consider next week, because I know some people would kill to get off those waitlists and I want to accumulate good karma for this waitlist which I would also kill to get off of

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Yes, I completely agree with this. If you know that you're not really interested or planning on it, please drop off. It's disrespectful for those who would seriously attend. But at 90% certain and 10% scared about finances for example, I would not feel obligated to drop off on the off chance you get the offer and don't 100% know if you'd say yes the moment they offered it

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:16 pm

There's really no way of knowing within 24 hours what your financial aid would be like unless you went through the parental contribution calculation with Stanford already.

So I guess just be comfortable with sticker. Nothing is going to change within that 24 hours that can't be decided upon now.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Rigo wrote:There's really no way of knowing within 24 hours what your financial aid would be like unless you went through the parental contribution calculation with Stanford already.

So I guess just be comfortable with sticker. Nothing is going to change within that 24 hours that can't be decided upon now.
Obviously the date matters here. I can commit to come in May. August might be another story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 pm

There will come a point for almost all of us as time goes on when Door #1 looks pretty good and we'll be satisfied and we can let go of Door #2 (waitlist uncertainty).

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Lol I'm still down in August 100% as long as they let me stay on the WL

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Likewise riding through until the very end, although having spent much of my childhood in MA/with lots of family and friends in/around Cambridge, I realize I'm in a more fortunate position that most when it comes to how feasible it would be for me to drop everything and head there.

Pyrex

New

Post by Pyrex » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Rigo wrote:There will come a point for almost all of us as time goes on when Door #1 looks pretty good and we'll be satisfied and we can let go of Door #2 (waitlist uncertainty).
When your choices are waitlist/waitlist/waitlist/waitlist/retake, doubling down on waitlist #1 looks pretty good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Rigo wrote:There will come a point for almost all of us as time goes on when Door #1 looks pretty good and we'll be satisfied and we can let go of Door #2 (waitlist uncertainty).
When your choices are waitlist/waitlist/waitlist/waitlist/retake, doubling down on waitlist #1 looks pretty good.
Oh true. Most are fortunate enough to have really good options though. CCN isn't chopped liver.
I don't have great financial options so I'm right there with you for the most part though.

heyya0909

New

Post by heyya0909 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 pm

I just sent my LOCI to the admissions email and realized I have one small typo. WHAT DO I DO? Can I just send them a new one? I didn't get any confirmation email from them yet.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 pm

heyya0909 wrote:I just sent my LOCI to the admissions email and realized I have one small typo. WHAT DO I DO? Can I just send them a new one? I didn't get any confirmation email from them yet.
Unless it's a factual error, I'd just let it slide.

heyya0909

New

Post by heyya0909 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Rigo wrote:
heyya0909 wrote:I just sent my LOCI to the admissions email and realized I have one small typo. WHAT DO I DO? Can I just send them a new one? I didn't get any confirmation email from them yet.
Unless it's a factual error, I'd just let it slide.
I mentioned the election and said "the 2017 presidential election" instead of 2016. :shock: :( :cry: :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm

If accepted I'll def accept their offer.

If they don't come through with financial aid I feel like I'll just drop out and reapply next year

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:23 am

everyone in this thread seems to be sending loci. anyone not send one?

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:48 am

Have all of those on the waitlist submitted the fafsa to HLS? Is it required for regular and waitlisted admits? I can't find much about the fafsa on their site, but I know SLS and YLS require it.

nerdylsat

Bronze

Post by nerdylsat » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 am

appind wrote:everyone in this thread seems to be sending loci. anyone not send one?
I haven't because I don't have any substantial updates on my resume since my application.

The consensus seems to be to write one even if you don't have something really important to say, just to show interest, so I'll send one in next week anyways.

My LSAT is below median and my GPA is non-valid so I don't even know how Im here lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 am

gargleblaster wrote:If accepted I'll def accept their offer.

If they don't come through with financial aid I feel like I'll just drop out and reapply next year
you actually can't defer any WL offers unless the school chooses to make a special exception for you (the only people I know of who were able to do this were all dual degree students enrolled in another H program)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am

eck456 wrote:

you actually can't defer any WL offers unless the school chooses to make a special exception for you (the only people I know of who were able to do this were all dual degree students enrolled in another H program)
I think they mean completely withdraw and just reapply, not defer.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 am

Rigo wrote:
eck456 wrote:

I think they mean completely withdraw and just reapply, not defer.
Wow I completely misread that - never TLS pre-coffee :) thanks for the catch!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 am

I know of one person who was accepted to Harvard and retook the LSAT and then didn't get accepted the next year.

I have no idea if that could apply to people off the waitlist. It would be interesting to know. The question is if you turn down Harvard's best offer, will they believe you want to attend the next year?

I also don't remember who that was but they post here so maybe you could find it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”