Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still standing? Where in the WL process are you?

JSNone-> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
13%
JSNone-> WL (will ride it out)
28%
JSNone-> WL (planning to withdraw)
3%
JSNone-> WL-> Dinged or/ No JS1 yet or/ No JS2 yet
14%
JSNone-> WL -> JS1 -> JS2 !!
8%
JS1 -> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
2%
JS1 -> WL (will ride it out)
30%
JS1 -> WL (planning to withdraw)
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Dinged or/ No JS1b yet or/ No JS2 yet
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Had JS1b -> JS2 !!
3%

Total votes: 64

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Post by Studybuddy17 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 pm

sittykitty wrote:
half moon wrote:
dyebri wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:Hi! Does anyone have any advice for the timing of a LOCI at this point? If I have not yet sent one, is it preferable to wait until closer to the beginning of May when the ad coms begin reviewing the waitlisters?

Curious about this as well
I sent mine this week. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule, but I remember reading something on Spivey's blog a while back that basically said when in doubt, send it sooner.
I just wanted mine in front of the ad com by the time they start reviewing the WL, which should be pretty soon -- last year's post-WL JS1s started the first week of May.
One more obsessive question, did you address your LOCI generally to the adcom or specifically to Dean Soban?

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
half moon wrote:
dyebri wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:Hi! Does anyone have any advice for the timing of a LOCI at this point? If I have not yet sent one, is it preferable to wait until closer to the beginning of May when the ad coms begin reviewing the waitlisters?

I sent mine this week. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule, but I remember reading something on Spivey's blog a while back that basically said when in doubt, send it sooner.
I just wanted mine in front of the ad com by the time they start reviewing the WL, which should be pretty soon -- last year's post-WL JS1s started the first week of May.
One more obsessive question, did you address your LOCI generally to the adcom or specifically to Dean Soban?
for mine I wrote -- "Dear Dean Soban and the Harvard Law Admissions Committee:"

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:44 pm

ldlestrange wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:
sittykitty wrote:
half moon wrote:
dyebri wrote:

for mine I wrote -- "Dear Dean Soban and the Harvard Law Admissions Committee:"
+1

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:12 am

Checking in. Waitlisted here and at YLS. Depositing at Columbia in the meantime.

All the best to everyone here!

ba-en-oh

New

Post by ba-en-oh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi folks,

I have a question that I haven't been able to answer from reading through this thread, though perhaps I missed something.

I'm waitlisted with LSAT < 25th and 50th<GPA<75th. I think I have pretty unique work experience/softs, which I'm trying to play up in my LOCI. I've signed up to retake the LSAT in June (since my score was way below my PT scores), but I'm not going to mention this in my initial LOCI.

I was wondering if anyone had tried to include GRE scores in your LOCI. My GRE scores are much higher, relatively, than my current LSAT, and I know that starting next fall HLS will consider GRE instead of LSAT. Will this seem like I'm cheating the system, or desperate, to include GRE scores at this point? I know my LSAT is the weakest part of my application. Thanks for any perspective!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

myrik

New

Post by myrik » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Hey all, anyone else depositing at other schools while waiting for this waitlist?

I was about to do my NYU deposit, but it says "I have no commitment to attend another law school, have not deferred enrollment at another law school, will not apply to another law school, have withdrawn from other law schools to which I was admitted" etc.

Gonna assume I can't deposit at 2 schools (the system here in my country is MUCH different, so I'm super lost)

So do they expect us to withdraw from other waitlists as well? It doesn't say that explicitly so :lol: and if we do eventually get in on waitlist, what do we say to these schools? "sorry going somewhere else now, pls cancel my enrolment"

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:12 pm

myrik wrote:So do they expect us to withdraw from other waitlists as well? It doesn't say that explicitly
And it shouldn't, as it's not allowed by LSAC!
myrik wrote:and if we do eventually get in on waitlist, what do we say to these schools? "sorry going somewhere else now, pls cancel my enrolment"
Yup, pretty much :P

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 pm

ba-en-oh wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question that I haven't been able to answer from reading through this thread, though perhaps I missed something.

I'm waitlisted with LSAT < 25th and 50th<GPA<75th. I think I have pretty unique work experience/softs, which I'm trying to play up in my LOCI. I've signed up to retake the LSAT in June (since my score was way below my PT scores), but I'm not going to mention this in my initial LOCI.

I was wondering if anyone had tried to include GRE scores in your LOCI. My GRE scores are much higher, relatively, than my current LSAT, and I know that starting next fall HLS will consider GRE instead of LSAT. Will this seem like I'm cheating the system, or desperate, to include GRE scores at this point? I know my LSAT is the weakest part of my application. Thanks for any perspective!
I can't imagine this going well.

klove2020

New

Post by klove2020 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 pm

curry1 wrote:

Why wouldn't it? As long as you point out that you're aware they're not formally accepting GREs until next year, I can't imagine the fact that you have an extra standardized test under your belt (with a much higher score) would actually hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:10 pm

klove2020 wrote:
curry1 wrote:

Why wouldn't it? As long as you point out that you're aware they're not formally accepting GREs until next year, I can't imagine the fact that you have an extra standardized test under your belt (with a much higher score) would actually hurt you.
I think it would reflect poorly on someone to spend valuable space in a LOCI talking about a test score that isn't being accepted for admissions this cycle.

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:41 pm

I would guess that your GRE doesn't matter at all, but if you feel like you can't leave any stone unturned, you could just call and ask them if they'll care, saying that you just read about the change.

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 am

I think it would make much more sense to include your GRE scores in an updated resume, which you could attach alongside your LOCI. I agree that it would take up valuable space in the letter itself.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 am

Anyone care to share how much need based aid H students get? Obviously everyone's financial situations differ. Just want some idea...ty

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:Anyone care to share how much need based aid H students get? Obviously everyone's financial situations differ. Just want some idea...ty
No idea. Might be a question for the financial aid board?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 am

Has anyone else not written their LOCI yet?

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:50 am

jjcorvino wrote:Has anyone else not written their LOCI yet?
Me. Kind of struggling with it. Finding it hard to stretch "Harvard is awesome and I really want to come" into an essay.

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:Anyone care to share how much need based aid H students get? Obviously everyone's financial situations differ. Just want some idea...ty
Their website walks through the formula they supposedly use:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... -packages/

Looks if you and your family have literally zero dollars, you could get up to ~120k, give or take. It goes down from there depending on y'all's assets.

You can also go look at the applicant lists from previous years on LSN. Since H only gives out need aid, any number reported there is a pertinent datapoint.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:58 am

Me. Been traveling. The plan is to do it some time this week though.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
Me. Kind of struggling with it. Finding it hard to stretch "Harvard is awesome and I really want to come" into an essay.
+1

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 pm

enoca wrote:
Their website walks through the formula they supposedly use:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... -packages/

Looks if you and your family have literally zero dollars, you could get up to ~120k, give or take. It goes down from there depending on y'all's assets.

You can also go look at the applicant lists from previous years on LSN. Since H only gives out need aid, any number reported there is a pertinent datapoint.
Ty. Good point!!!

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:49 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
+1
On the LOCI front, I really think "stretch" would be antithetical to its purpose. From everyone I've talked to it's really supposed to be short, sweet, to the point and pertinent; if you truly don't have anything new to add, I would think that trying to fluff things up to take up space would hurt more than help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
This is my problem completely...

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 am

curry1 wrote: Can you change the poll to a Q asking where people are depositing like the YLS waitlist thread? Thanks!
this pole count is still increasing and may hit 200, so give it a few days before changing to deposit one. the deposit info also exists in the Google spreadsheet in the OP for those who have entered theirs.

https://[link redacted]/lu9NiA

those who haven't added them to spreadsheet, add your data (do not sort - download a copy first).

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 am

if someone with js1->WL can keep a check on to track and post all interview slots that open in the scheduler during the wait, that can help this thread know when js1 or js1b are coming.

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 am

appind wrote:if someone with js1->WL can keep a check on to track and post all interview slots that open in the scheduler during the wait, that can help this thread know when js1 or js1b are coming.
Apologies for my ignorance, but two quick questions:

1). What is a JS1b? What is the difference between the different types of JS[1,1b,2, etc...]?
2). If we're a JSNone (as in no interview thus far), how will we know if/when interview opportunities are available?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”