Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Still standing? Where in the WL process are you?

JSNone-> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
13%
JSNone-> WL (will ride it out)
28%
JSNone-> WL (planning to withdraw)
3%
JSNone-> WL-> Dinged or/ No JS1 yet or/ No JS2 yet
14%
JSNone-> WL -> JS1 -> JS2 !!
8%
JS1 -> WL -> Have Withdrawn since
2%
JS1 -> WL (will ride it out)
30%
JS1 -> WL (planning to withdraw)
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Dinged or/ No JS1b yet or/ No JS2 yet
No votes
JS1 -> WL -> Had JS1b -> JS2 !!
3%

Total votes: 64

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Waitlist

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
enoca wrote:Honestly given the huge drop off in 171+ LSATs this year, I doubt using previous years as a guidepost is gonna be too useful. H has a huge class drawn almost exclusively from the scores that have dropped off. They are gonna have to tread pretty carefully if want to maintain their medians/75ths. My guess is they will consider some folks who would normally have almost no chance, and the waitlist will see a decent amount of action.
Yeah a lot will depend on if they're like ahh fuck it this month and realize a 171 is gonna happen and just start GPA whoring.
Interesting...so you think if the accept a drop in LSAT scores they'd try to improve their GPA profile to compensate? Why wouldn't that place upward pressure on prioritizing higher LSAT individuals on the WL, or conversely just accepting the numerical profile as is and focusing on softs etc...
Logically if they concede that their LSAT median will fall, higher GPA's would be favored off WL.
If their 172 is in a precarious position and they need to fortify that, the splitters will be more likely to get WL love.

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Rigo wrote:
SpookySalem92 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
enoca wrote:Honestly given the huge drop off in 171+ LSATs this year, I doubt using previous years as a guidepost is gonna be too useful. H has a huge class drawn almost exclusively from the scores that have dropped off. They are gonna have to tread pretty carefully if want to maintain their medians/75ths. My guess is they will consider some folks who would normally have almost no chance, and the waitlist will see a decent amount of action.
Yeah a lot will depend on if they're like ahh fuck it this month and realize a 171 is gonna happen and just start GPA whoring.
Interesting...so you think if the accept a drop in LSAT scores they'd try to improve their GPA profile to compensate? Why wouldn't that place upward pressure on prioritizing higher LSAT individuals on the WL, or conversely just accepting the numerical profile as is and focusing on softs etc...
Logically if they concede that their LSAT median will fall, higher GPA's would be favored off WL.
If their 172 is in a precarious position and they need to fortify that, the splitters will be more likely to get WL love.
I know you're in the other boat Rigo but for my own sake I have to keep praying to my lucky stars that they'll prioritize keeping that LSAT median up.

But also I think we can surmise that they don't have a strategy on that front yet considering the mish mash of numerical profiles currently on the wait list?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 pm

sittykitty wrote: I know you're in the other boat Rigo but for my own sake I have to keep praying to my lucky stars that they'll prioritize keeping that LSAT median up.
But also I think we can surmise that they don't have a strategy on that front yet considering the mish mash of numerical profiles currently on the wait list?
Yeah they probably just have different lists and won't know which one to look at first until after May 1st.

And no worries, I hope you get it. I'm approaching the waitlist in a very nonchalant if it happens it happens kind of way. Hopefully we can Noah's Arc it together though.

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Part of me just wants to believe that both factors are relatively diminished in significance (barring major outliers) if they've already placed you on the WL in the first place, and they're more focused at this point on evaluating the candidate as an individual and how they would fit within the entering class composition more holistically. Then again, I suppose this is Harvard and not Harvard's Best Friend race. Or something.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:Part of me just wants to believe that both factors are relatively diminished in significance (barring major outliers) if they've already placed you on the WL in the first place, and they're more focused at this point on evaluating the candidate as an individual and how they would fit within the entering class composition more holistically. Then again, I suppose this is Harvard and not Harvard's Best Friend race. Or something.
I've heard it's the opposite and WL is even more about numbers than the regular cycle.
It's all about filling in the holes in their class based upon yield fluctuations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
SpookySalem92 wrote:Part of me just wants to believe that both factors are relatively diminished in significance (barring major outliers) if they've already placed you on the WL in the first place, and they're more focused at this point on evaluating the candidate as an individual and how they would fit within the entering class composition more holistically. Then again, I suppose this is Harvard and not Harvard's Best Friend race. Or something.
I've heard it's the opposite and WL is even more about numbers than the regular cycle.
It's all about filling in the holes in their class based upon yield fluctuations.
I guess that would be another way to utilize it, like the extra pairs of shoes in the stockroom in case there's an issue with the one on the display floor. Here's hoping I'm a Jimmy Choo and not a "Jimmy Who?"

I am so sorry.

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi! Does anyone have any advice for the timing of a LOCI at this point? If I have not yet sent one, is it preferable to wait until closer to the beginning of May when the ad coms begin reviewing the waitlisters?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:29 pm

SpookySalem92 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
I guess that would be another way to utilize it, like the extra pairs of shoes in the stockroom in case there's an issue with the one on the display floor. Here's hoping I'm a Jimmy Choo and not a "Jimmy Who?"

I am so sorry.
I appreciated this post. It's Sex and the City meets law school admissions.
"And then I thought to myself: maybe we're all just stockroom shoes waiting to be chosen..."

between3characters

New

Post by between3characters » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm

str8shot122 wrote:
between3characters wrote:
str8shot122 wrote:
appind wrote:
str8shot122 wrote:Checking in. 161/3.68. Definitely thought I'd get rejected. Going to send LOCI because why not lol
special softs? urm?
Yeah military officer. But nothing extraordinary. Applied in November.
Hey, me too. Are you doing FLEP by chance?
No. My wife wants a career and it has become abundantly clear that she can't have that in the Army. Although I may try to go reserve JAG. Are you doing FLEP?
Yes, but based on the restrictions I have all but given up on Harvard. Coming from overseas, so I'll probably have orders set before the first round of acceptances off the w/l.

What's the wifey do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pyrex

New

Post by Pyrex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

I keep seeing this on these threads, but haven't seen anywhere else. Where did this data come from?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I keep seeing this on these threads, but haven't seen anywhere else. Where did this data come from?
http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2016-2 ... f-3-31-17/

This is the lowest cycle for high LSAT bros in modern history, or is giving 2014-2015 a run for its money,

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:26 pm

appind wrote:HLS admissions waitlist link: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/
Can you change the poll to a Q asking where people are depositing like the YLS waitlist thread? Thanks!

treetops_rising

New

Post by treetops_rising » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:01 pm

curry1 wrote:
appind wrote:HLS admissions waitlist link: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... -waitlist/
Can you change the poll to a Q asking where people are depositing like the YLS waitlist thread? Thanks!
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pyrex

New

Post by Pyrex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

curry1 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

This is the lowest cycle for high LSAT bros in modern history, or is giving 2014-2015 a run for its money,
Thanks! Does anyone know where he gets his data? The numbers seem too low to be all inclusive; are the really only 386 people with 171 scores, for instance?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Pyrex wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Thanks! Does anyone know where he gets his data? The numbers seem too low to be all inclusive; are the really only 386 people with 171 scores, for instance?
They are from LSAC, so everyone that applied through LSAC (should be everyone that applied) are counted.

TudoBem

Bronze

Post by TudoBem » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm

treetops_rising wrote:
curry1 wrote:
+1
+2

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I just got confirmation of my withdrawal from a few weeks ago so I think they might be firming up the WL. Figured I'd let everyone know for wild speculation purposes.

GL, friends!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ml0606148

New

Post by ml0606148 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 pm

ashrice13 wrote:I just got confirmation of my withdrawal from a few weeks ago so I think they might be firming up the WL. Figured I'd let everyone know for wild speculation purposes.

GL, friends!!
thanks!!! gonna ride this out persistently

SpookySalem92

Bronze

Post by SpookySalem92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am

I was feeling pretty good about things until, at an ASW for another school, over the course of conversation with like 5 different people it came up that we were all on the WL at Harvard. Sigh/lol.

dyebri

Bronze

Post by dyebri » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Studybuddy17 wrote:Hi! Does anyone have any advice for the timing of a LOCI at this point? If I have not yet sent one, is it preferable to wait until closer to the beginning of May when the ad coms begin reviewing the waitlisters?

Curious about this as well

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:10 am

dyebri wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:Hi! Does anyone have any advice for the timing of a LOCI at this point? If I have not yet sent one, is it preferable to wait until closer to the beginning of May when the ad coms begin reviewing the waitlisters?

I sent mine this week. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule, but I remember reading something on Spivey's blog a while back that basically said when in doubt, send it sooner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

I apologise in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have been unable to find specifics on this. When sending a LOCI, is it sent as an attachment or as the text of an email? If an attachment, what should be written in the body of the email without sounding redundant in the attachment? Thanks!

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:I apologise in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have been unable to find specifics on this. When sending a LOCI, is it sent as an attachment or as the text of an email? If an attachment, what should be written in the body of the email without sounding redundant in the attachment? Thanks!
I think it's good practice to send a LOCI as a separate PDF attachment -- otherwise, what are they going to do, print out the email memo-form and add it to your file? It probably looks better as a formatted letter.

I just put a couple short sentences in the body of my emails -- "I am providing an update regarding my current work, my continuing interest in HLS, and the curricular offerings that make the school my top choice" etc etc.

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:I apologise in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have been unable to find specifics on this. When sending a LOCI, is it sent as an attachment or as the text of an email? If an attachment, what should be written in the body of the email without sounding redundant in the attachment? Thanks!
I think it's good practice to send a LOCI as a separate PDF attachment -- otherwise, what are they going to do, print out the email memo-form and add it to your file? It probably looks better as a formatted letter.

I just put a couple short sentences in the body of my emails -- "I am providing an update regarding my current work, my continuing interest in HLS, and the curricular offerings that make the school my top choice" etc etc.
Sounds good, thanks!

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm

half moon wrote:
dyebri wrote:

I sent mine this week. I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule, but I remember reading something on Spivey's blog a while back that basically said when in doubt, send it sooner.
I just wanted mine in front of the ad com by the time they start reviewing the WL, which should be pretty soon -- last year's post-WL JS1s started the first week of May.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”