Case Western Reserve University School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beforethelaw

New

Case Western Reserve University School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:48 am

CWRU Law School Application Thread

2016 Stats via (http://law.case.edu/Admissions/ABA-Disclosures)

LSAT
75th% - 161
50th% - 159
25th% - 155

GPA
75th% - 3.69
50th% - 3.48
25th% - 3.25

Couldn't find a thread for CWRU applicants, like myself, so I made one!

beforethelaw

New

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law c/o 2020 Applicants

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 am

Also, CWRU hadn't been particularly high on my list, but they gave me a great scholarship offer... Now I'm seriously considering it. Biggest reservation is that I've never been to Cleveland, don't know much about living there, won't be able to visit before deposits are due, and know that it's quite hard to leave the region with a degree from Case.

I'm interested in PD work--if anyone has info on the PD job market in the Cleveland area, or on Cleveland as a place to live generally, I'd super appreciate it.

Thanks!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 am

GPA > 25th, LSAT >>> 75th, applied in early Jan and accepted in late Jan with a full ride. I went to school in Ohio and did a lot of work with Case. It's a fantastic school in a lot of areas...sadly, law is not one of them, which is quite unfortunate. But they just got a new Dean so hopefully the law school will come closer to matching the quality of their medical school and engineering programs. The part of Cleveland where Case is located is quite nice, and its definitely an academic hub. It's not a bad place to be stuck, if you have to be stuck anywhere.

not_stig

New

Post by not_stig » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

Applied Jan 7, UR2 Jan 23, and still have no decision. At one point I had deposit information showing on my checker but that has since disappeared. 50~GPA, 75 LSAT re-applicant. Might schedule a visit for next week as Cleveland is about an hour and a half drive away. Hmmm...

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 am

not_stig wrote:Applied Jan 7, UR2 Jan 23, and still have no decision. At one point I had deposit information showing on my checker but that has since disappeared. 50~GPA, 75 LSAT re-applicant. Might schedule a visit for next week as Cleveland is about an hour and a half drive away. Hmmm...
I applied later than you with lower stats. Got offer and scholarship last week. Email them to check your status I would say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

This morning my application showed the last time status update and that my application was UR2. This afternoon everything is blank. Does this mean a decision is forthcoming?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Considering Case Western because I got a near full ride as an international law scholar (it has a fancier name that I'm blanking on).

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Considering Case Western because I got a near full ride as an international law scholar (it has a fancier name that I'm blanking on).
What were your numbers and what are your other options? I'm still waiting to hear about most of my apps, but I was only around median at Case, and they gave me a named scholarship that would leave me paying single digits/year in tuition. I'm wondering whether this means that my soft factors made my app stand out, Case just has a ton of cash, or Case is worried about falling medians. Regardless, I really like the look of the school, and I'm pretty thrilled with this as a potential option.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:18 pm

beforethelaw wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Considering Case Western because I got a near full ride as an international law scholar (it has a fancier name that I'm blanking on).
What were your numbers and what are your other options? I'm still waiting to hear about most of my apps, but I was only around median at Case, and they gave me a named scholarship that would leave me paying single digits/year in tuition. I'm wondering whether this means that my soft factors made my app stand out, Case just has a ton of cash, or Case is worried about falling medians. Regardless, I really like the look of the school, and I'm pretty thrilled with this as a potential option.
I'm a big splitter but I am also 7 years out of undergrad. I'm >>>>75% LSAT and <25% GPA. I have really good work experience (years at a fortune 100) and a graduate degree with a stellar gpa from a program that uses a curve similar to what law schools use.

seaomf

New

Post by seaomf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:37 pm

CWRU has been my first choice since this past October when I moved to Cleveland, but due to a bad case of performance anxiety, I ended up pushing rope missionary for six hours on the LSAT and scored six points below my PT average. I didn't apply because I was self-conscious of my LSAT score (a lousy 159); I imagined that the feeling of being rejected from my first choice school would be akin to the feeling after having been rejected by my first crush when I was a fat kid in middle school.

Much to my luck, the applicant pool must be very small this year, and thus far, I've received money to go everywhere I applied (all TTs and TTTs). This, in conjunction with looking at the applicants on LSN who have been WL'd at Case (Low 3.XXs with Low 150s) gave me the confidence to say apply to Case.

So on this past Friday (6/16), my status changed to "Committee Review - stage 2 of 2." Even with the mediocre stats of their WL, I have a lot going against me; I applied two months after the priority deadline, my CAS GPA places me at the dead bottom of the entire law school applicant pool, and my LSAT is merely last year's median. What I have going for me is less tangible; a better major GPA (prelaw-philosophy), As and A-s in every grad-level philosophy seminar I took (except for a B in metaethics), two LORs from ivy-educated phil professors (one of which I can safely assume is outstanding), my track record of turning a budget surplus for a student outreach group as an administrative director, and a story how overcoming personal obstacles and dealing with tragedy has given me the fortitude to pursue my lifelong goal of a career in law. I'm holding out hope that 2 of 2 means that perhaps the rest of my application sufficiently moved the committee that they're determining my financial aid package as I type this out. Probs not, but I'm hopeful.

Actually, you didn't have to read any of that. All I want to know is: has anyone been rejected - or know of anyone having been rejected - after getting to committee review 2 of 2?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”