Northwestern c/o 2020 WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 WAITLIST

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

jurisdoctor2020 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Has anyone taken the interview yet? Any inputs on the type of questions would be appreciated.
I took it this morning and it wasn't bad at all.

I think this time around they are more just looking to see who you are as a person and whether you'd be a genuinely likable person to have in class. There were 3 video questions and 2 written questions with a 15-minute response time for the written ones.
Thanks a lot. Can you tell he much preparation time and facetime for video questions ?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

jurisdoctor2020 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Has anyone taken the interview yet? Any inputs on the type of questions would be appreciated.

I think this time around they are more just looking to see who you are as a person and whether you'd be a genuinely likable person to have in class. There were 3 video questions and 2 written questions with a 15-minute response time for the written ones.
where the written responses part of your 5 questions?

jurisdoctor2020

New

Post by jurisdoctor2020 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm

amta wrote:
jurisdoctor2020 wrote:

where the written responses part of your 5 questions?
Yes - 3 video questions and 2 written questions for 5 questions total.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 pm

jurisdoctor2020 wrote: Yes - 3 video questions and 2 written questions for 5 questions total.
were the questions pretty straightforward?

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Mon May 01, 2017 12:39 pm

jurisdoctor2020 wrote:

15 minutes for each of the written responses - or 15 minutes total? Sorry to nag lol.

Also, video questions response time was 1 minute each or 3 minutes each?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
jurisdoctor2020 wrote:

15 minutes for each of the written responses - or 15 minutes total? Sorry to nag lol.

What were the written response questions on?

sorence

Bronze

Post by sorence » Mon May 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Just withdrew from the WL today- goo luck y'all! :)

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:16 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
jurisdoctor2020 wrote:

Each, and three minutes.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 am

sfn91 wrote:
LegallyBlackJD wrote:
jurisdoctor2020 wrote:

Each, and three minutes.
Thanks! That's really helpful. That seems much longer than the Cornell interview, which was 5 minute written responses + 1 minute interview questions. I hated the Cornell interview format, because I am was cut off in mid-sentence; and the five minute written responses are usually on super complicated topics, and it was just frantic typing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Windjammer

New

Post by Windjammer » Tue May 02, 2017 11:11 am

Did the WL-interview this morning. I think it's safe to assume that the invite for an interview goes out to everyone who previously declined to be interviewed (as I did). If you interviewed before, there's perhaps a chance that they don't solicit additional information from you since (or if) they feel they already have a good impression of you as a person.

As to the interview itself, I understand that the confusingly mentioned 'status page' is actually the KIRA interview page itself (which will be linked to in your invite email). The page records all your previous inputs once you're registered, including computer set-up or already completed questions. You can't re-do questions but you can elect to do some questions now, and the other ones at a later date. That page has nothing in common with your applicant Status page at NU, so I understand why some people (including myself) got confused by the email's wording.

I would definitely recommend using the practice questions to get a good questions on timing yourself, testing the audio quality, and so on. I realized I was rambling, and quickly changed pace and concision afterwards. You get to watch your own answers, so this is helpful. What's brutal about the actual interview is that you don't get to re-do a question if you mess up. There's two ways you can mess up - you can break off a question prematurely, or with the written questions, you can keep on typing before hitting 'Submit'. I nearly panicked because I did the latter, and nearly failed to submit a fairly long essay for my fifth question. So watch the time bar carefully.

In terms of content, again - check out the practice questions. There's one question that will always come up, as it has to, and that is "Why Northwestern". So you can expect that to come up in the actual interview. The rest, there's no overlap. But there's also another difference they don't mention: while practice questions has you answer for 1 minute, the actual questions allocate you 3 minutes. That's nowhere announced.

I'm not going to reveal the questions I had to answer, but suffice it to say they clearly allow you to elaborate on things you'd have said in your personal statement regarding your past accomplishments, current fields of expertise, and future career interests. This is not heavily signaled, but I would recommend bringing each question, no matter how flippantly worded (from the practice samples: 'What's your favorite pet?', 'What's your favorite app?', 'What's your favorite candy?'), back to you as a person in a more general sense. That is, answer the question seriously and fully, but dedicate the second half (minute 1:30 to 3:00) to addressing a larger element of your personality or theme in your personal/professional life, then tie it back to your application. I can't say if that will specifically work for Northwestern, or whether it'll meet success, but as a person with prior interviewing experience (on both sides) I can tell you it's a great deal more exciting than to listen for 3 minutes about a person's love affair with Snickers bars.

Finally, I'd say - try to enjoy this. You get to set up the interview in a space you're comfortable in, so there's a significant amount of control on your end that traditional interviews don't give you, and which will impact how relaxed you are and how much you actually enjoy it - which in turn will absolutely help to make a solid impression. As an interviewer, I find few things more grating than the forced smile perfected by Kudrow in her role as Valerie Cherlish - "You see that smile? It means I'm dead inside."

FEDRESRV

New

Post by FEDRESRV » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 am

Windjammer wrote: .
Thank you for the excellent write up. Very much appreciated.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed May 03, 2017 7:37 am

I took the WL interview last night. It was quite introspective in nature. While my third world internet connection meant that my computer took 20-25 minutes for the video responses to load, I kept myself busy by watching old episodes of 'friends' between questions. But overall, a much more enjoyable process than the first interview.

Video questions were Why NU and other behavioral questions where you needed to think deep and come up with examples. The prep time was again only 30 seconds so I just got time to think of an incident and not really to structure the answer flow.

Written questions were also in the nature of trying to understand your personality rather than testing knowledge or testing whether you can think on your feet. No prep time for written questions of course.

3 video questions followed by two written questions.

Good luck all.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Wed May 03, 2017 9:20 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I took the WL interview last night. It was quite introspective in nature. While my third world internet connection meant that my computer took 20-25 minutes for the video responses to load, I kept myself busy by watching old episodes of 'friends' between questions. But overall, a much more enjoyable process than the first interview.

Video questions were Why NU and other behavioral questions where you needed to think deep and come up with examples. The prep time was again only 30 seconds so I just got time to think of an incident and not really to structure the answer flow.

Written questions were also in the nature of trying to understand your personality rather than testing knowledge or testing whether you can think on your feet. No prep time for written questions of course.

Good luck all.

You are f*%^&$# awesome for sharing this and telling up the questions! Did you have 1 minute or 3 minutes to response with the verbal questions? :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 am

All of the above is greatly appreciated!!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

blelwoods wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I took the WL interview last night. It was quite introspective in nature. While my third world internet connection meant that my computer took 20-25 minutes for the video responses to load, I kept myself busy by watching old episodes of 'friends' between questions. But overall, a much more enjoyable process than the first interview.

Good luck all.

You are f*%^&$# awesome for sharing this and telling up the questions! Did you have 1 minute or 3 minutes to response with the verbal questions? :D
Thanks. Good luck with your interview! 3 minutes each for video questions.

bopcity

New

Post by bopcity » Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm

delete
Last edited by bopcity on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlekidlover

New

Post by littlekidlover » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

bopcity wrote:Does anyone know when the deadline to complete the waitlist interview is? Work has been killing me this week and I haven't been able to make time. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow afternoon.
I believe Johann tweeted that there wouldn't be any WL movement this week anyway, so you're probably fine. I just did mine yesterday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah once I saw that tweet I figured I'll just get it done over the weekend. Also crazy busy

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 pm

bopcity wrote:Does anyone know when the deadline to complete the waitlist interview is? Work has been killing me this week and I haven't been able to make time. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow afternoon.
Last year it was apparently May 15th and listed as such in the WL letter. This year - there wasn't a date. I just made a mental to get it done as soon as my schedule allowed me to.

Completed mine earlier this week. It was straightforward. I'm sure everyone gets the "Why Northwestern?" question so be ready for that.

You have three minutes for the video questions, but you can use the space bar to stop the recording before the 3 minutes are up.

The written responses were hypothetical "what would you do if...." and did not pertain to law. There's no way to prepare for that IMO. It was just - well, random life questions.

Just be yourself and shine bright like a diamond. Good luck to everyone!

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:
Last year it was apparently May 15th and listed as such in the WL letter. This year - there wasn't a date. I just made a mental to get it done as soon as my schedule allowed me to.

Completed mine earlier this week. It was straightforward. I'm sure everyone gets the "Why Northwestern?" question so be ready for that.

You have three minutes for the video questions, but you can use the space bar to stop the recording before the 3 minutes are up.

The written responses were hypothetical "what would you do if...." and did not pertain to law. There's no way to prepare for that IMO. It was just - well, random life questions.

Just be yourself and shine bright like a diamond. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for the questions and heads up! :mrgreen:

Windjammer

New

Post by Windjammer » Fri May 05, 2017 10:45 pm

There is a deadline and I'm pretty sure it's before May 15.

Iirc, my email specifically said I'd have two weeks from the invite to submit my answers, then it's closed. Also, pretty sure you don't get kicked off the WL if you fail to submit - but it's likely better if you submit. After all, it's an extended version of a standard LOCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Sun May 07, 2017 3:37 am

Windjammer wrote:."
Thank you for this information. It was very helpful for the process. So similar to Cornell but the extra time was much more realistic/appreciated. 1 min vs 3 is night and day, especially if they're actually trying to simulate an actual interview format.

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 am

Did everyone wear a suit when they took the video interview?

Ashcashbgash

New

Post by Ashcashbgash » Mon May 08, 2017 7:57 am

Shangrilala wrote:Did everyone wear a suit when they took the video interview?
Nope! I made sure to wear a crisp clean top, though. I don't think you need a suit, but don't be casual either. (I'm a woman)

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 am

Ashcashbgash wrote:
Shangrilala wrote:Did everyone wear a suit when they took the video interview?
Nope! I made sure to wear a crisp clean top, though. I don't think you need a suit, but don't be casual either. (I'm a woman)
Thanks! Yeah I did not want to be too formal nor too casual, so...thanks! :D
Did you tie up your hair when you took the interview? (If you have mid-long hair)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”