Northwestern c/o 2020 WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoy456

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 WAITLIST

Post by hoy456 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:09 am

Windjammer wrote:There is a deadline and I'm pretty sure it's before May 15.

Iirc, my email specifically said I'd have two weeks from the invite to submit my answers, then it's closed. Also, pretty sure you don't get kicked off the WL if you fail to submit - but it's likely better if you submit. After all, it's an extended version of a standard LOCI.
My email did not say anything related to a deadline whatsoever. However, it is prudent to get it done ASAP.

Ashcashbgash

New

Post by Ashcashbgash » Mon May 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Shangrilala wrote:
Ashcashbgash wrote:
Shangrilala wrote:Did everyone wear a suit when they took the video interview?
Nope! I made sure to wear a crisp clean top, though. I don't think you need a suit, but don't be casual either. (I'm a woman)
Thanks! Yeah I did not want to be too formal nor too casual, so...thanks! :D
Did you tie up your hair when you took the interview? (If you have mid-long hair)
My hair was out!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Did my video interview yesterday. Similar experience/questions as previous posters. I feel like I did really well for 1 written and 1 video. Otherwise the rest of my responses were just as bad as my Cornell experience. I hate video interviewing.

Ashcashbgash

New

Post by Ashcashbgash » Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:Did my video interview yesterday. Similar experience/questions as previous posters. I feel like I did really well for 1 written and 1 video. Otherwise the rest of my responses were just as bad as my Cornell experience. I hate video interviewing.
Same. I feel like I only did very well on one video and one written. I'm glad I'm not in this boat by myself.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Ashcashbgash wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:Did my video interview yesterday. Similar experience/questions as previous posters. I feel like I did really well for 1 written and 1 video. Otherwise the rest of my responses were just as bad as my Cornell experience. I hate video interviewing.
Same. I feel like I only did very well on one video and one written. I'm glad I'm not in this boat by myself.
You can't really prepare for the non-obvious ones, so don't sweat it. Or at least, that's what I am telling myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Windjammer

New

Post by Windjammer » Mon May 08, 2017 6:46 pm

sfn91 wrote:
Ashcashbgash wrote:
You can't really prepare for the non-obvious ones, so don't sweat it. Or at least, that's what I am telling myself.
I think you're right on this one. Generaly, I'm not in the slightest confident that any of our answers beyond "Why Northwestern" weigh all that much. I'm also curious in that the alleged weight of the LSAT writing sample is generally an occasion for mockery on this board - and now we're sweating online writing samples? Other than filtering out truly atrocious (obscure and analytically inept) writing, is there any serious bonus to be gained from penning an elegant essay? (And I don't think that failing to connect with the set question and/or being slightly unstructured in your response would qualify as 'atrocious' i.e. automatic eliminate here.)

As to 'how was your hair', I wanna ask: in what condition was your physical environment in?
I video'd myself in my university office and contrary to NU's advice to keep the environment uncluttered, I boldly left everything in its 'natural' state: several stacks of ungraded student papers and books strewn on the floor. Now crossing fingers that these videos are watched by sympathetic law school professors up to their neck in grading 1L papers. :D

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm

My questions were all very generic, asking me to provide a narrative of my personal story or interests - something you would ask people on normal behavioral interviews: do you work well with people? How did you overcome a disagreement? How did you cope with someone completely different from you? And the rest are just like: what books do you read? What music do you like? Unless you wrote something horrendous and wrote you liked Hitler's book, I cannot imagine this going wrong. They are just trying to get to know you as a person, but I don't think they would admit or deny you based on this info.

The only question you need to prepare for is "Why Northwestern?" This is your LOCI, so make sure you do look and sound enthusiastic. I think this question is the only one that would fail you if you provide a bad answer. But I think they are just trying to gauge our interest - if you are truly interested, you would do the interview.
Last edited by melmelcoolj on Tue May 09, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FEDRESRV

New

Post by FEDRESRV » Tue May 09, 2017 12:07 pm

I just completed the online interview. I had tremendous difficulty getting the Kira platform to work with my laptop. I would highly suggest not waiting until the last minute to do the check in and system test. As far as the questions go, I had the same experience as the other posters.

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Anyone having EXTREME difficulties with the interview website today? I am practicing and question 2 will not load for some reason.
I am live chatting with a representative and they said the website was experiencing issues today. Am I able to log out and check in again tomorrow even though I began the practice interview? Helppppp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d2009121

New

Post by d2009121 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 pm

MadamSecretary wrote:Anyone having EXTREME difficulties with the interview website today? I am practicing and question 2 will not load for some reason.
I am live chatting with a representative and they said the website was experiencing issues today. Am I able to log out and check in again tomorrow even though I began the practice interview? Helppppp
I had the exact same problem. They just stopped live chatting me and I got an automated "Be back tomorrow" message... We should be able to resume tomorrow. I am glad somebody else experienced this and it wasn't just me! I was freaking out after trying three browsers on three different computers and nothing working.

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 pm

d2009121 wrote:
MadamSecretary wrote:Anyone having EXTREME difficulties with the interview website today? I am practicing and question 2 will not load for some reason.
I had the exact same problem. They just stopped live chatting me and I got an automated "Be back tomorrow" message... We should be able to resume tomorrow. I am glad somebody else experienced this and it wasn't just me! I was freaking out after trying three browsers on three different computers and nothing working.

That is really helpful, thanks! Did you just exit the interview portal? Did we have to sign out of anything?

d2009121

New

Post by d2009121 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 pm

MadamSecretary wrote:
d2009121 wrote:

That is really helpful, thanks! Did you just exit the interview portal? Did we have to sign out of anything?
You should have gotten an email with a green box/link thing ("Continue Checkin) that lets you resume right where you left off. It takes you back to the registration page with all of your info filled out. Hope that helps!

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Wed May 10, 2017 1:07 am

Same here, also had problems with the Kia platform earlier today and so I couldn't complete the interview. Anyone know when this will get fixed?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 pm

d2009121 wrote:
MadamSecretary wrote:
d2009121 wrote:

You should have gotten an email with a green box/link thing ("Continue Checkin) that lets you resume right where you left off. It takes you back to the registration page with all of your info filled out. Hope that helps!
Yes that was very helpful, thanks so much! I tried again today and it worked :) Good luck!

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 pm

I just completed my interview and I can offer a few tips:

-Definitely utilize the practice videos, I was able to improve on my hand movements, eye contact, head tilting, excessive blinking, etc.. all things to be wary of
-The questions are pretty straightforward, be prepared for the Why Northwestern video and practice a 3 minute or less response, 3 minutes comes fast so be careful with timing and try not to ramble
-The other questions were fun and allowed you to show your creativity, make sure to always bring the question back to yourself and how it relates to your narrative, find a way to twist your response into an interesting story about who you are as a person and why that would make you a good fit for Northwestern
-The written responses weren't too bad, I feel I did pretty well on both of them just also be aware of the time and click submit before time runs up. Make sure not to repeat yourself and prove a point, use common sense, blah blah blah

Good Luck!!

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 am

Just finished the interview! 3 questions were oral response and 2 written. The oral response questions were 3 minutes and the written were 15. It went be extremely fast, especially the written responses.

Of course you'll get the why NU? My other questions were a little random, but not to hard. I'd say get it out the way y'all! Best of luck :mrgreen: I'm praying for some waitlist movement in the next 2 weeks, but everyone is saying we got to wait on HYS... :x

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu May 11, 2017 9:54 pm

So my interview experience wasn't as good as the rest of you. I already did the previous Northwestern online interview and the Cornell interview using the same platform, but this one just felt harder for some reason. I botched up one of my video questions pretty badly, had to stop my response like 1:30 in because I wasn't making much sense lol. It was the type of question where it was just too hard to come up with something in 30 seconds. The rest of the video questions weren't too bad, especially the "Why Northwestern" which I think I nailed. And no need to worry about the written ones, they were pretty fun and easy. You also have plenty of time.

How much stock do you think Northwestern puts in these interviews? I really believe it plays a big role, which is why I'm pretty dejected right now.

Also, if anyone hasn't done it yet, do it ASAP. I had problems with the Kia platform for two days, and now it's already Thursday, which means there's no way they'll be evaluating my app until at least next week. And for some reason, I think people will hear back tomorrow.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu May 11, 2017 10:32 pm

StopLawying wrote:So my interview experience wasn't as good as the rest of you. I already did the previous Northwestern online interview and the Cornell interview using the same platform, but this one just felt harder for some reason. I botched up one of my video questions pretty badly, had to stop my response like 1:30 in because I wasn't making much sense lol. It was the type of question where it was just too hard to come up with something in 30 seconds. The rest of the video questions weren't too bad, especially the "Why Northwestern" which I think I nailed. And no need to worry about the written ones, they were pretty fun and easy. You also have plenty of time.

How much stock do you think Northwestern puts in these interviews? I really believe it plays a big role, which is why I'm pretty dejected right now.

Also, if anyone hasn't done it yet, do it ASAP. I had problems with the Kia platform for two days, and now it's already Thursday, which means there's no way they'll be evaluating my app until at least next week. And for some reason, I think people will hear back tomorrow.

The next deposit date is May 15th and I believe the class of 2017 graduates tomorrow (I could be wrong).

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 am

blelwoods wrote:
StopLawying wrote:So my interview experience wasn't as good as the rest of you. I already did the previous Northwestern online interview and the Cornell interview using the same platform, but this one just felt harder for some reason. I botched up one of my video questions pretty badly, had to stop my response like 1:30 in because I wasn't making much sense lol. It was the type of question where it was just too hard to come up with something in 30 seconds. The rest of the video questions weren't too bad, especially the "Why Northwestern" which I think I nailed. And no need to worry about the written ones, they were pretty fun and easy. You also have plenty of time.

The next deposit date is May 15th and I believe the class of 2017 graduates tomorrow (I could be wrong).
Keeping my fingers crossed for Tuesday, May 16th.

stevengnehs

New

Post by stevengnehs » Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Submitted a commitment LOCI last friday and did the interview this morning. I am not sure if the admission office will be able to see the letter / interview before they made a decision.

Anxious af right now

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 pm

stevengnehs wrote:Submitted a commitment LOCI last friday and did the interview this morning. I am not sure if the admission office will be able to see the letter / interview before they made a decision.

Anxious af right now

Same, did the interview last week, but the class of 2017 graduated Friday. Today was the deposit deadline for the last admit wave. Hope to see some movement this week. I'll be doing a self-guided tour tomorrow and will try to chat with someone from admissions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aldrich

New

Post by Aldrich » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm

blelwoods wrote:
stevengnehs wrote:Submitted a commitment LOCI last friday and did the interview this morning. I am not sure if the admission office will be able to see the letter / interview before they made a decision.

Anxious af right now

Same, did the interview last week, but the class of 2017 graduated Friday. Today was the deposit deadline for the last admit wave. Hope to see some movement this week. I'll be doing a self-guided tour tomorrow and will try to chat with someone from admissions.
The deposit deadline for the last admit wave (4/27) is 5/22.

stevengnehs

New

Post by stevengnehs » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

My current status says "decision will be available within 24 hours", but I forgot whether it is from april when I receive the waitlist decision or yesterday

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 pm

stevengnehs wrote:My current status says "decision will be available within 24 hours", but I forgot whether it is from april when I receive the waitlist decision or yesterday
Did you receive a feeler call or an email? It seems that they would not just admit you without even giving you a call. But now I am frantically trying to get into my status checker.

stevengnehs

New

Post by stevengnehs » Tue May 16, 2017 12:22 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
stevengnehs wrote:My current status says "decision will be available within 24 hours", but I forgot whether it is from april when I receive the waitlist decision or yesterday
Did you receive a feeler call or an email? It seems that they would not just admit you without even giving you a call. But now I am frantically trying to get into my status checker.
Nada. No nothing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”