American C/O 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BostonOrBust

Bronze

American C/O 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by BostonOrBust » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Anyone considering? Recently found out I got in with PIPS, so full scholarship. I like American but figured it wouldn't be worth the $$ as I expected a low scholly and the COL in DC is high. I'm rethinking now. I know it's not crazy high ranked, but they do have great PI and it would be a good chance to make DC connections.

dwbh

New

Re: American C/O 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by dwbh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:58 pm

When did you hear scholarship info? I was accepted in December and was told scholarship info would come out in February, but I haven't heard anything yet.

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am

Last edited by jlc058 on Thu May 04, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 pm

How long after you received your acceptance did you find out scholarship information? I was accepted mid-Jan (yay) and haven't heard anything. Also, how did they tell you? Email? Snail mail? I'm thinking that I definitely can't attend at full price :shock:

goofaloof

New

Post by goofaloof » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:11 pm

VAisforLawyers wrote:How long after you received your acceptance did you find out scholarship information? I was accepted mid-Jan (yay) and haven't heard anything. Also, how did they tell you? Email? Snail mail? I'm thinking that I definitely can't attend at full price :shock:
I applied 1/23, was accepted 2/3, and got my scholarship in an email today.
GPA < 25, LSAT > 75, and they're giving me $35,000 per year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Yup. Scholarship info is out. $35K a year. Got a scholarship to Texas that would leave me in roughly the same amount of debt so yeah, I'm out! Good luck to you all!

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:15 pm

goofaloof wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:How long after you received your acceptance did you find out scholarship information? I was accepted mid-Jan (yay) and haven't heard anything. Also, how did they tell you? Email? Snail mail? I'm thinking that I definitely can't attend at full price :shock:
Awesome. Guess I'll just set my computer on fire now. Thanks and congrats!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:52 pm

jlc058 wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:Anyone considering? Recently found out I got in with PIPS, so full scholarship. I like American but figured it wouldn't be worth the $$ as I expected a low scholly and the COL in DC is high. I'm rethinking now. I know it's not crazy high ranked, but they do have great PI and it would be a good chance to make DC connections.
hey I just found out I got this too and am really struggling with the decision. I know I am staying in DC and am not sure how to choose between Georgetown, GW, American- to pick prestige or debt load or somewhere in the middle. freaking out!
Worried/somehow hopeful I may end up in this position? I was waitlisted at GW..... still waiting on Georgetown and while I know it's unlikely I haven't given up hope. Still, I know that if I'm admitted there the money will not be good as my stats are a stretch.

I have full PI scholly at American and a full scholly at Northeastern, and they're both fairly similar in rank, reputation, PI, feel, etc. It feels stupid to turn down a full ride of anything, especially given that I'm expecting to make a low salary as a PI attorney for the rest of my life.... but I know that if I end up in one of my top choices it's going to become a hard decision.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:54 pm

VAisforLawyers wrote:
goofaloof wrote:
Wouldn't count yourself out just yet, seems like others are still waiting. They may be doing waves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:
goofaloof wrote:
Wouldn't count yourself out just yet, seems like others are still waiting. They may be doing waves.
Thanks! You're right. I was reading your comment above- sorry about GW but there is still hope there too! & you never know with GULC. I feel like anything can happen this cycle. But your username implies that you'd like Boston, so Northeastern seems fair. If you applied to GW and GULC, why not try BU or BC? Sorry for all the questions- all of this waiting and obsessively reading admissions forums has me going nuts :oops:

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

VAisforLawyers wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:
goofaloof wrote:
Thanks! You're right. I was reading your comment above- sorry about GW but there is still hope there too! & you never know with GULC. I feel like anything can happen this cycle. But your username implies that you'd like Boston, so Northeastern seems fair. If you applied to GW and GULC, why not try BU or BC? Sorry for all the questions- all of this waiting and obsessively reading admissions forums has me going nuts :oops:

I was initially looking at Boston because my partner is located here, and so I didn't want to leave-- but he's since agreed to move with me, and I'd honestly rather leave after having been here for about 6 years. I have applied to BC and BU, though. I was admitted to BC but am still waiting on scholly... I doubt that I'll get full there. I'm also victims rights focused and BC doesn't have a devoted domestic violence clinic so it's not the best pick for me.

I'm still waiting to hear from BU. I applied late (post December LSAT) so I'm waiting for a decent portion of my cycle still. Yeah, GULC is the dream. I'm low stats with like, a cool story and interesting softs that line up well with my legal interests, so I've been getting some unexpected positive results despite my stats, and I'm hoping against hope that GULC is another of those.

Haha no, this cycle is driving everyone crazy, myself included :oops: I was doing much better mental health wise before I discovered TLS lol!

Is American a top choice for you if $$ comes through?

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:16 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:
goofaloof wrote:

I was initially looking at Boston because my partner is located here, and so I didn't want to leave-- but he's since agreed to move with me, and I'd honestly rather leave after having been here for about 6 years. I have applied to BC and BU, though. I was admitted to BC but am still waiting on scholly... I doubt that I'll get full there. I'm also victims rights focused and BC doesn't have a devoted domestic violence clinic so it's not the best pick for me.

I'm still waiting to hear from BU. I applied late (post December LSAT) so I'm waiting for a decent portion of my cycle still. Yeah, GULC is the dream. I'm low stats with like, a cool story and interesting softs that line up well with my legal interests, so I've been getting some unexpected positive results despite my stats, and I'm hoping against hope that GULC is another of those.

Haha no, this cycle is driving everyone crazy, myself included :oops: I was doing much better mental health wise before I discovered TLS lol!

Yeah I applied post-Dec LSAT too. I'm in the same situation as you but with Emory. I applied despite my stats for the off chance that I will get accepted. However, I decided to apply there about 2 weeks after I sent in all of my initial apps so I'm still waiting to hear- and of course they don't have a status checker and it seems like A LOT of people are still waiting. It's one of those situations where you know it makes sense to expect the worst but something tells you that it's worth holding on. Anyway, I thought that I'd go to American if Emory didn't work out but I've been obsessively reading all of these forums and it just doesn't make sense to go without decent $$$. So I think that if Emory doesn't work out and American doesn't offer enough I'll probably retake in September and try next cycle. I was really against retaking but I think that after reading these posts so much I'm finally thinking clearly lol. :o

nycseeker

New

Post by nycseeker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm

In via email last night! Looking forward to receiving scholarship info. I'm afraid I may be too late in the cycle for $$$.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 am

VAisforLawyers wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VAisforLawyers wrote:

Yeah I applied post-Dec LSAT too. I'm in the same situation as you but with Emory. I applied despite my stats for the off chance that I will get accepted. However, I decided to apply there about 2 weeks after I sent in all of my initial apps so I'm still waiting to hear- and of course they don't have a status checker and it seems like A LOT of people are still waiting. It's one of those situations where you know it makes sense to expect the worst but something tells you that it's worth holding on. Anyway, I thought that I'd go to American if Emory didn't work out but I've been obsessively reading all of these forums and it just doesn't make sense to go without decent $$$. So I think that if Emory doesn't work out and American doesn't offer enough I'll probably retake in September and try next cycle. I was really against retaking but I think that after reading these posts so much I'm finally thinking clearly lol. :o
Always that one pie in the sky school it's so hard to let go. :oops: FWIW I'm rooting for you!

The retake decision... so hard. :cry: Honestly, deep down I know I should, too... I made a last minute decision to take and was pretty underprepared. And I have a disability that I could have received accommodations for but I opted not to because I felt weird about it.... But I don't want to wait anymore, so I'm just going to pick one of my options in the end. I'm working on blind faith that it'll work out.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:03 am

nycseeker wrote:In via email last night! Looking forward to receiving scholarship info. I'm afraid I may be too late in the cycle for $$$.
:D Many 'grats, friend!

lawsforeign

New

Post by lawsforeign » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Anyone applied for a dual degree? I applied for their International Affairs JD/MA and got into the JD last Friday (02/10). Got the letter in the mail yesterday, and they said the School of International Studies would follow to send me a decision letter.

As most, I would not be able to attend American unless a close to full ride. Waiting anxiously for the MA decision and the scholly info!!

dksockies

New

Post by dksockies » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm

lawsforeign wrote:Anyone applied for a dual degree? I applied for their International Affairs JD/MA and got into the JD last Friday (02/10). Got the letter in the mail yesterday, and they said the School of International Studies would follow to send me a decision letter.

As most, I would not be able to attend American unless a close to full ride. Waiting anxiously for the MA decision and the scholly info!!
In for the JD/MPP dual. Decent $$$ but not full ride. What're your other options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jfo13

New

Post by jfo13 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Has anyone attempted to negotiate scholarship? Both the amount and deposit deadline. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools and I don't want to get locked in with a $900 deposit just to not lose my scholarship when I don't even know about other acceptances yet :(

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Anyone have any insight on status checker? Initial date was 3/1 and changed to 3/8 today...just wondering if anyone knows what I should expect. Thanks!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Anyone have any insight on status checker? Initial date was 3/1 and changed to 3/8 today...just wondering if anyone knows what I should expect. Thanks!
I applied on a Monday and got my decision that Thursday! This was like the last week of February.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Anyone have any insight on status checker? Initial date was 3/1 and changed to 3/8 today...just wondering if anyone knows what I should expect. Thanks!
I applied on a Monday and got my decision that Thursday! This was like the last week of February.
Same happened to me with UF last week! Applied Monday, went complete Wednesday and heard Thursday. Just was wondering if American's date changes mean anything. Fingers crossed I hear soon!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 pm

In today via status checker. Mailings section said an email was sent. Haven't received it yet.

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Just checking in and seeing how everyone who was/is seriously considering American feels about their drop in the rankings this week. I've been considering American fairly seriously because of its proximity and because I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools but their new rank has me a little concerned. Anyone else?

mxf896

New

Post by mxf896 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:41 pm

I attempted to negotiate, this was the reply:

"I completely understand your concerns regarding financing your legal education, but unfortunately, we are not able to negotiate scholarship amounts. There is a possibility that merit scholarships may increase depending on funding, but we are unable to make any guarantees and do not have a specific timeline. We do offer of other funds and scholarships to upper division students, and I encourage you to contact our Office of Financial Aid to investigate all your financial aid options. Office of Financial Aid #202-274-4040 email finaid@wcl.american.edu. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know."

My girlfriend and I had decided to go to the DC area after several visits, and I applied to AU, GU (denied), and GW (waitlisted) She's going to apply the next cycle and we liked having options in the area, as well as the DC life in general. AU didn't offer much, considering I was right at 75% for both LSAT and GPA. I was offered a full ride to Iowa and it is driving me insane to consider passing that up, but if for some reason she doesn't get in to Iowa then we're back to long distance and that is not an option we'd like to entertain. I've paid the seat deposit at both to delay the need to make a decision. Hoping to hear back about the need-based grant, which would make it more manageable, but still not the amount of money that I was looking to pay considering their free-fall in the rankings. While the rankings never tell the whole story as to whether a school is the best choice for you or not, it is definitely alarming. I expected them to shoot up at least a bit from the new law building. Who knows.

VAisforLawyers

New

Post by VAisforLawyers » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:26 pm

mxf896 wrote:I attempted to negotiate, this was the reply:

"I completely understand your concerns regarding financing your legal education, but unfortunately, we are not able to negotiate scholarship amounts. There is a possibility that merit scholarships may increase depending on funding, but we are unable to make any guarantees and do not have a specific timeline. We do offer of other funds and scholarships to upper division students, and I encourage you to contact our Office of Financial Aid to investigate all your financial aid options. Office of Financial Aid #202-274-4040 email finaid@wcl.american.edu. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know."

My girlfriend and I had decided to go to the DC area after several visits, and I applied to AU, GU (denied), and GW (waitlisted) She's going to apply the next cycle and we liked having options in the area, as well as the DC life in general. AU didn't offer much, considering I was right at 75% for both LSAT and GPA. I was offered a full ride to Iowa and it is driving me insane to consider passing that up, but if for some reason she doesn't get in to Iowa then we're back to long distance and that is not an option we'd like to entertain. I've paid the seat deposit at both to delay the need to make a decision. Hoping to hear back about the need-based grant, which would make it more manageable, but still not the amount of money that I was looking to pay considering their free-fall in the rankings. While the rankings never tell the whole story as to whether a school is the best choice for you or not, it is definitely alarming. I expected them to shoot up at least a bit from the new law building. Who knows.
I get it. After reading all of these forums for months, the one thing that is ALWAYS mentioned about American is how expensive they are. It concerns me that 1) they're so expensive 2) their rank doesn't justify the cost 3) they're not willing to negotiate scholarships. Law school is expensive and I understand that but I'm having trouble with accepting the cost to American, specifically. In fact, I'm leaning towards a regional school that is cheaper and better ranked even though I think the name would pretty much lock me into the area. All I can say is...HELP! lol. This whole process is driving me nuts :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”