Columbia Reserve Group c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Assuming acceptance, would you pay sticker?

Yes
53%
No
25%
I really don't even want to think about that right now
22%

Total votes: 230

blelwoods

Bronze

Re: Columbia Reserve Group c/o 2020

Post by blelwoods » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:52 pm

childishkuriboh wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
wegotthis wrote:
JuJuXTX wrote:Anyone out there who is still waiting for a response like me?
Either my rejection letter got lost in the mail or they are still reviewing my app?
What can I do at this point??? :( shoot them an email about the situation or be patient and wait?
I am in the same boat as you right now. But I think it's a good sign. I know there is no rejection in the mail for me (at least for now), becasue I opted to have my decision sent to me via mail, which is quicker
Theory: they sent out a really small number of interviews. If they don't get enough admits from that pool maybe they are holding some files incase they need to interview more. Just speculation on my part.
Not sure if this sheds any light on the situation, but I had my interview two weeks ago. I still haven't heard back either way, not even a second reserve email. The interviewer said we would find out "probably by next Wednesday," which would've been last Wednesday. So now I'm in total limbo until the admissions office gets back to me. I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat.
Oh great. I interviewed last week and was told i would hear back this week. But if they were late for you then maybe my decision will be late too. This wait is killing me.
Update: They called me today to let me know that I'm in. I've got till Monday to give them a response.

Congrats!!!

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm

tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
wegotthis wrote:
JuJuXTX wrote:Anyone out there who is still waiting for a response like me?
Either my rejection letter got lost in the mail or they are still reviewing my app?
What can I do at this point??? :( shoot them an email about the situation or be patient and wait?
I am in the same boat as you right now. But I think it's a good sign. I know there is no rejection in the mail for me (at least for now), becasue I opted to have my decision sent to me via mail, which is quicker
Theory: they sent out a really small number of interviews. If they don't get enough admits from that pool maybe they are holding some files incase they need to interview more. Just speculation on my part.
Not sure if this sheds any light on the situation, but I had my interview two weeks ago. I still haven't heard back either way, not even a second reserve email. The interviewer said we would find out "probably by next Wednesday," which would've been last Wednesday. So now I'm in total limbo until the admissions office gets back to me. I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat.
Oh great. I interviewed last week and was told i would hear back this week. But if they were late for you then maybe my decision will be late too. This wait is killing me.
Update: They called me today to let me know that I'm in. I've got till Monday to give them a response.
me too!!

Congrats!!!!

Mootmath

New

Post by Mootmath » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:52 pm

if placed on 2nd reserve, do you guys feel a second loci will help matters at this point?

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
Where were y'all deposited? And are you going? Any merit aid?

childishkuriboh

New

Post by childishkuriboh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:58 am

haley12 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
Thanks guys!

If I hadn't gotten into Columbia, I would've gone to GULC. I called the Columbia financial aid office, and they said they'd get an aid (grant + loan) estimate to me by Friday. If they get anywhere near Georgetown's offer, I'll probably take it. If not, I don't think I'd be willing to take on $270k in debt, even for a T-5.

Another piece of information that may be more useful to future applicants: I was waitlisted at 7 other schools (Harvard, Chicago, NYU, Virginia, Berkeley, Penn, Duke), and so far Columbia is the only one that has accepted me off the waitlist. I'm a 176/3.22 splitter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Mootmath wrote:if placed on 2nd reserve, do you guys feel a second loci will help matters at this point?
Yea I called yesterday and they said to send second loci via email.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 pm

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Mootmath wrote:if placed on 2nd reserve, do you guys feel a second loci will help matters at this point?
I think it does. I don't think they want anything long unless something meaningful has happened in the past month or whenever you sent your last LOCI. Just something short and to the point, "I want to go here."

tartan2016

New

Post by tartan2016 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:09 pm

haley12 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
i was deposited at chicago, but I'm going to CLS

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:03 pm

34iplaw wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
I think it does. I don't think they want anything long unless something meaningful has happened in the past month or whenever you sent your last LOCI. Just something short and to the point, "I want to go here."
I also sent in a short LOCI via email -- I just felt weird sending a LOCI that's only three sentences long to their formal place for uploading supposedly long LOCIs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

LOCI # 3 is sent!

The last waitlist letter said they would be reviewing applications at the end of June! Best of luck to everyone :D

Mootmath

New

Post by Mootmath » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:26 pm

blelwoods wrote:LOCI # 3 is sent!

The last waitlist letter said they would be reviewing applications at the end of June! Best of luck to everyone :D
Did they send you back a confirmation E-mail?

sphyrnidae13

Bronze

Post by sphyrnidae13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 pm

tartan2016 wrote:
haley12 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
Got in off reserve last week, I had also deposited at Chicago but heading to CLS

tartan2016

New

Post by tartan2016 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:41 pm

sphyrnidae13 wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
haley12 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
Got in off reserve last week, I had also deposited at Chicago but heading to CLS
Glad I have company/kind of reassured to read this. I was questioning my decision of ignoring US news and leaving Chicago, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who made the choice. Just liked CLS courses/research centers a lot better. Also, we are basically stats twins.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm

tartan2016 wrote:
sphyrnidae13 wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
haley12 wrote:
blelwoods wrote:
tartan2016 wrote:
childishkuriboh wrote:
me too!!

Congrats!!!!
Glad I have company/kind of reassured to read this. I was questioning my decision of ignoring US news and leaving Chicago, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who made the choice. Just liked CLS courses/research centers a lot better. Also, we are basically stats twins.
CC are peers. I think it'd be silly if you walked away from a lot of money, but I think a case can be made for either school over the over if COA is vaguely similar.

Oh and congrats.

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:25 pm

What are the odds of someone from second reserve getting in? I'm trying to remain optimistic but this shit is stressing me out. Decided if I don't get in on any of my waitlists I'm going to reapply in the Fall, bc I applied so late in the application cycle

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:17 am

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:What are the odds of someone from second reserve getting in? I'm trying to remain optimistic but this shit is stressing me out. Decided if I don't get in on any of my waitlists I'm going to reapply in the Fall, bc I applied so late in the application cycle
I wouldnt hold my breath

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:39 am

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:What are the odds of someone from second reserve getting in? I'm trying to remain optimistic but this shit is stressing me out. Decided if I don't get in on any of my waitlists I'm going to reapply in the Fall, bc I applied so late in the application cycle
I would say definitely lower than 10%. I decided not to care, and I will just wait till mid-August.

I will be living in NYC anyway. And I'm too poor to live in the Washington Sq area, so I will be living closer to Columbia. But I assume your situation is a little different depending on where you are. You can set a deadline for yourself -- if these schools don't respond till this date, then you are taking yourself off the waitlist.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am

never checked in here, got a 2nd reserve email on June 12. Haven't sent in anything in regards to LOCI, splitter.

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:49 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
I would say definitely lower than 10%. I decided not to care, and I will just wait till mid-August.

I will be living in NYC anyway. And I'm too poor to live in the Washington Sq area, so I will be living closer to Columbia. But I assume your situation is a little different depending on where you are. You can set a deadline for yourself -- if these schools don't respond till this date, then you are taking yourself off the waitlist.
also, did you deposit at NYU and withdraw from Duke? If so, congrats on being done with a tough decision!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:53 am

Zipman wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

also, did you deposit at NYU and withdraw from Duke? If so, congrats on being done with a tough decision!
I haven't yet. But I will do both later today. Haha, yes, I guess I have chosen the unpopular path. :D
I also got the second reserve email on June 12. Splitter.

angelfan5589

New

Post by angelfan5589 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:46 am

charles117 wrote:
I wouldnt hold my breath
I would say if you're open to reapplying and you're not taking the LSAT again, you should start getting your things in order so that you can apply ED or apply early in the cycle with a strong app. Less stress and you can use the time productively getting ahead of the cycle rather than pulling your hair out.

Based on previous years, very few people on TLS have gotten in from second reserve but it's not unheard of. Could be that there are people out there who do get in who are just not on TLS or that Columbia has a full class by July and doesn't usually have open spots. However, movement should happen around the second or third week of July whether that's a ding, invite to interview, or third reserve.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 am

angelfan5589 wrote:
charles117 wrote:
I wouldnt hold my breath
I would say if you're open to reapplying and you're not taking the LSAT again, you should start getting your things in order so that you can apply ED or apply early in the cycle with a strong app. Less stress and you can use the time productively getting ahead of the cycle rather than pulling your hair out.

Based on previous years, very few people on TLS have gotten in from second reserve but it's not unheard of. Could be that there are people out there who do get in who are just not on TLS or that Columbia has a full class by July and doesn't usually have open spots. However, movement should happen around the second or third week of July whether that's a ding, invite to interview, or third reserve.
There's a third reserve? Definitely NOT getting on that one. LOL.

slb2017

New

Post by slb2017 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:18 am

Hey guys,

I got a second reserve email on June 9, totally did not realize that it was protocol to send a second LOCI. Going to send it tomorrow morning... do you guys think it's a deal breaker or would it not affect a decision? Also pissed at myself because they reviewed apps late June, so my second LOCI is pretty late.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:01 pm

angelfan5589 wrote:
charles117 wrote:
I wouldnt hold my breath

The question I had was if you reapply, do you need to write an entirely new personal statement? Bc my personal statement has the genuine reasons why I want to go to law school, and I don't think I can just rewrite that.

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:30 pm

NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
angelfan5589 wrote:
charles117 wrote:
I wouldnt hold my breath

The question I had was if you reapply, do you need to write an entirely new personal statement? Bc my personal statement has the genuine reasons why I want to go to law school, and I don't think I can just rewrite that.
Yup you need to write a new one or they think it's evidence that you're not committed. and they look at the two statements together so if you write stuff that doesn't align with what you wrote last year they'll have questions/ problems (while being distinct and fresh from what you used last year). You can reuse your lsac account and the letters of recommendation (tho some require at least one new letter - Stanford?) unless you're in a dual degree and then they want at least one internally. Reapplication is a massive pain in the ass, but at least personally I had a better cycle this year largely just due to politics and what I want to do being in the news all the time, but you never know how things will go *shrug*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”