Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawlife64

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST

Post by lawlife64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Halfcooked wrote:Anyone out there getting any calls? LSN shows someone recently accepted off the waitlist with some $.
Still haven't received an email or letter in the mail after getting a call last Tuesday...gonna email them Monday and ask for an update if the silence continues until then

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 pm

When is their second deposit due?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:25 pm

haley12 wrote:When is their second deposit due?
Second deposit deadline was June 1.

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Ya.... I am thinking this waitlist turkey is no longer halfcooked, I think the waitlist hopes are pretty much burnt if one hasn't received a feeler call at any point in time. I should think a couple of lucky souls will be pulled from the depths of shattered hopes, but given the size of GULC waitlists, I am guessing those odds are so small I probably don't want to know.

barkerintokyo

New

Post by barkerintokyo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 pm

But GULC was supposed to be one of the WLs with better odds!! sob

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:41 pm

barkerintokyo wrote:But GULC was supposed to be one of the WLs with better odds!! sob
tiff made everyone want to stay at gulc and increased their matriculation yield

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:21 am

barkerintokyo wrote:But GULC was supposed to be one of the WLs with better odds!! sob
I really have no idea; you may be right, barkerintokyo. I look at the size of GULC 1L class and figure the waitlist has to be fairly large. When I look on LSN.com there are pages and pages of waitlisted people, which isn't the total number b/c obviously not everyone uses LSN. So my conjecture - while based on some decent information and fair assumptions - is still conjecture at the end of the day. I am just seeing things are kinda going dead, and the time between promised communications from GULC is stretching to a month out now, I personally am checking out mentally from any hope as it is just cruel at this point.

barkerintokyo

New

Post by barkerintokyo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:39 am

I was being a little bit sarcastic. I'm sure GULC does have a relatively high WL acceptance rate, especially compared to schools like CLS with notoriously low rates. But that "high" acceptance rate is still about ten percent (just guessing) of all waitlists of which there are probably 1000 (again, guessing). We got ourselves believing that we are that ten percent when 90% of us are not. Sigh. It's depressing.

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 am

I don't know if this is frustrating or a relief to hear, but if you check last year's waitlist thread, you'll see that waitlist-hopefuls were in the exact same place and mindset as you guys last year as well. In fact, the email saying "you are in a special group we plan to turn to first if space becomes available" only arrived on the 14th of June, so in some ways, they were a little behind. The wave of admits who got that email were admitted on June 21st. So, what I'm saying is, hang on tight. If, say, June 26th passes and there is no major movement, then I would caution all those who have not yet received a phone call to start making alternate plans. Until then though, keep on keeping on
Last edited by GULCwaitlistPro on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:20 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote: If, say, June 26th passes and there is no major movement, then I would caution all those who have not yet received a phone call to start making alternate plans.
I am not sure what constitutes "major movement", but I really don't consider a trickle of 1 - 3 people every couple of weeks major movement when there are likely hundreds of waitlisters still remaining; that equates to about .005% to .1% of people getting off the waitlist.

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:... if you check last year's waitlist thread, you'll see that waitlist-hopefuls were in the exact same place and mindset as you guys last year as well. In fact, the email saying "you are in a special group we plan to turn to first if space becomes available" only arrived on the 14th of June, so in some ways, they were a little behind. The wave of admits who got that email were admitted on June 21st. So, what I'm saying is, hang on tight. If, say, June 26th passes and there is no major movement, then I would caution all those who have not yet received a phone call to start making alternate plans. Until then though, keep on keeping on
I checked out 2015-16 cycle waitlist movement (thread on this site), or "waves" as you call it. A total of 4 people were admitted that were on this site between June 13th and essentially August 1st. Lets conservatively say there are 200 people on waitlists right now. That is about a 2% chance of taken off the waitlist. I could apply for Yale right now with better odds of being admitted.

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Halfcooked wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote: If, say, June 26th passes and there is no major movement, then I would caution all those who have not yet received a phone call to start making alternate plans.
I am not sure what constitutes "major movement", but I really don't consider a trickle of 1 - 3 people every couple of weeks major movement when there are likely hundreds of waitlisters still remaining; that equates to about .005% to .1% of people getting off the waitlist.
I call those movements based on the assumption that for every 1-3 people that use this site, there are a handful more that don't. Yes, those waves don't seem large - and they're not. But, relative to how many people get admitted, it is clear that GULC tends to admit people in "waves."
Halfcooked wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:... if you check last year's waitlist thread, you'll see that waitlist-hopefuls were in the exact same place and mindset as you guys last year as well. In fact, the email saying "you are in a special group we plan to turn to first if space becomes available" only arrived on the 14th of June, so in some ways, they were a little behind. The wave of admits who got that email were admitted on June 21st. So, what I'm saying is, hang on tight. If, say, June 26th passes and there is no major movement, then I would caution all those who have not yet received a phone call to start making alternate plans. Until then though, keep on keeping on
I checked out 2015-16 cycle waitlist movement (thread on this site), or "waves" as you call it. A total of 4 people were admitted that were on this site between June 13th and essentially August 1st. Lets conservatively say there are 200 people on waitlists right now. That is about a 2% chance of taken off the waitlist. I could apply for Yale right now with better odds of being admitted.
I commend and appreciate your optimism, but I would suggest you are giving misguided advice, again. Suggesting dates in which people should hold on to, or even implying there is going to be anything other than an infinitely small chance of being admitted at this juncture is irresponsible. Call things like it is. Unfortunately, some people blindly take the advice of others, to which I suppose they are subject to whatever consequences come their way. However, you are complicit in the problem as well by presenting information or conjecture as anything other than that. Unless you trying to tell us that you are on the admission committee - which you haven't so far but seem to what to give advice as if you are - I respectfully state you are actually doing a disservice to people here by telling them dates, talking about "major movement" that is factually, and entirely, unsupported, and suggesting what people should do. I apologize if I sound harsh, but in reality, you are not helping with these kind of posts. And again, I caution readers on this thread to do their own homework, make their own decisions, and think for yourself.
I understand your points and concerns. I'll do my best to unpack them point-by-point, but forgive me if I don't address everything.

Yes, most people will not get in off the waitlist. As the cycle drags on, less and less people are admitted, and the waves people are admitted in yield less admits. No one is claiming banking off a waitlist acceptance is a good shot - certainly not me.

It's not wrong to suggest dates. If people have conflicting offers and other concerns to consider, and they give me all that information, there is nothing wrong with giving advice. Let me clarify my earlier statement though, you should already have a solid alternate plan that you are happy with if the GULC waitlist yields you no results, whether that be an alternate school, or retaking the LSAT. With "alternate plans," that goes off the assumption that people have already figured out the major parts of their alternate plans, and should (after the date I recommended) start to seriously adhere to those plans (like finalizing living situations, deciding which LSAT to retake, etc). This should be common sense.

When it comes to major movements and dates to be aware of, I know all of this since I went through this last year, and received advice and information from the waitlist cycle before my own. Of course, these are not hard-and-fast dates. That should be obvious. They are approximations based on the data I have and the knowledge I've accumulated. In other words, they are simply opinions and words of advice. This leads me to my last point...

I take issue with the statement my advice is "misguided." I've been through the process and all that goes along with it, and was eventually admitted. I don't claim to be an expert, or someone from admissions (I'm not) whose advice you should follow like a bible. I just provide a service, letting people know what I did and how it worked for me, what going through the process was like, utilizing advice I got from others who got off this waitlist and other waitlists, and certain mile-markers me and others that cycle noticed amongst ourselves. If people wish to blindly follow my advice, that's on them. I am aware that the advice I have sent out, both publicly and through PM, has not been anything in any way damaging - and that leads to this: Crucially, I always caution that my advice is anecdotal, whenever I send out my initial PMs. People should of course think for themselves, but the whole point of these forums is to get the advice and help of others. It is in no way wrong to offer people advice, and nor is it wrong for people to seek it.

barkerintokyo

New

Post by barkerintokyo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Halfcooked wrote:
I call those movements based on the assumption that for every 1-3 people that use this site, there are a handful more that don't. Yes, those waves don't seem large - and they're not. But, relative to how many people get admitted, it is clear that GULC tends to admit people in "waves."
Halfcooked wrote:
I commend and appreciate your optimism, but I would suggest you are giving misguided advice, again. Suggesting dates in which people should hold on to, or even implying there is going to be anything other than an infinitely small chance of being admitted at this juncture is irresponsible. Call things like it is. Unfortunately, some people blindly take the advice of others, to which I suppose they are subject to whatever consequences come their way. However, you are complicit in the problem as well by presenting information or conjecture as anything other than that. Unless you trying to tell us that you are on the admission committee - which you haven't so far but seem to what to give advice as if you are - I respectfully state you are actually doing a disservice to people here by telling them dates, talking about "major movement" that is factually, and entirely, unsupported, and suggesting what people should do. I apologize if I sound harsh, but in reality, you are not helping with these kind of posts. And again, I caution readers on this thread to do their own homework, make their own decisions, and think for yourself.
I understand your points and concerns. I'll do my best to unpack them point-by-point, but forgive me if I don't address everything.

Yes, most people will not get in off the waitlist. As the cycle drags on, less and less people are admitted, and the waves people are admitted in yield less admits. No one is claiming banking off a waitlist acceptance is a good shot - certainly not me.

It's not wrong to suggest dates. If people have conflicting offers and other concerns to consider, and they give me all that information, there is nothing wrong with giving advice. Let me clarify my earlier statement though, you should already have a solid alternate plan that you are happy with if the GULC waitlist yields you no results, whether that be an alternate school, or retaking the LSAT. With "alternate plans," that goes off the assumption that people have already figured out the major parts of their alternate plans, and should (after the date I recommended) start to seriously adhere to those plans (like finalizing living situations, deciding which LSAT to retake, etc). This should be common sense.

When it comes to major movements and dates to be aware of, I know all of this since I went through this last year, and received advice and information from the waitlist cycle before my own. Of course, these are not hard-and-fast dates. That should be obvious. They are approximations based on the data I have and the knowledge I've accumulated. In other words, they are simply opinions and words of advice. This leads me to my last point...

I take issue with the statement my advice is "misguided." I've been through the process and all that goes along with it, and was eventually admitted. I don't claim to be an expert, or someone from admissions (I'm not) whose advice you should follow like a bible. I just provide a service, letting people know what I did and how it worked for me, what going through the process was like, utilizing advice I got from others who got off this waitlist and other waitlists, and certain mile-markers me and others that cycle noticed amongst ourselves. If people wish to blindly follow my advice, that's on them. I am aware that the advice I have sent out, both publicly and through PM, has not been anything in any way damaging - and that leads to this: Crucially, I always caution that my advice is anecdotal, whenever I send out my initial PMs. People should of course think for themselves, but the whole point of these forums is to get the advice and help of others. It is in no way wrong to offer people advice, and nor is it wrong for people to seek it.
You're doing a great job even tho you don't have to. I think for the most part, everyone appreciates your input and company.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lmorina126

New

Post by Lmorina126 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 pm

barkerintokyo wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Halfcooked wrote:
Halfcooked wrote:

You're doing a great job even tho you don't have to. I think for the most part, everyone appreciates your input and company.
+1

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks you two, I appreciate it. And best of luck to you both!

corgiterrier17

New

Post by corgiterrier17 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Did you guys receive any confirmation email from the admission office when you replied back to the June 8th update email?

Zuko

New

Post by Zuko » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm

dan9257 wrote:Did you guys receive any confirmation email from the admission office when you replied back to the June 8th update email?
I haven't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fakeuser123

New

Post by fakeuser123 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Zuko wrote:
dan9257 wrote:Did you guys receive any confirmation email from the admission office when you replied back to the June 8th update email?
I haven't.
Neither have I, which is weird because they usually respond within a few days.

godinacup

New

Post by godinacup » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 pm

fakeuser123 wrote:
Zuko wrote:
I haven't.
Neither have I, which is weird because they usually respond within a few days.
I haven't either, glad to hear I'm not the only one.

chinajoe111

New

Post by chinajoe111 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 pm

just got the boot :cry:

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

+1 :( :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zuko

New

Post by Zuko » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Booted as well.

blelwoods

Bronze

Post by blelwoods » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:01 pm

A friend of mine just declined her seat last week! She said she hopes one of you takes her spot!

lawlawlawzz

New

Post by lawlawlawzz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Anyone willing to share what the boot email said? Expecting it any day now.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 pm

were you guys normal wl or pwl?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”