Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mudori

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST

Post by Mudori » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
LendLease wrote:Hey guys. First time posting on TLS. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their thoughts. I love how we catalyze our collective insanity to make ourselves sane. I received an offer of acceptance from Stanford this morning. I honestly cannot believe it and am jumping for joy. Unfortunately, they said there will be no scholarship available. This is obviously quite crushing to me, as every penny would ameliorate my situation. Georgetown is still my top choice, so I will remain on the waitlist. I did not have the distinction of being on the special wait list. I guess I am posting this to show how much a good LOCI can make a difference. I spent close to two weeks crafting mine for Stanford. I never received any waitlist updates from them, so I decided to fly to California, sit outside the Dean's office, and personally hand her the letter. You never know what will happen. Good luck to everyone else the rest of the way. I really want to go to Georgetown!
Dude. Go to Stanford. If you get off of GULC's waitlist, the amount of merit aid you could potentially get will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall tuition you'll pay. In no world will GULC and their offer beat Stanford at sticker. Don't sacrifice this opportunity.
Stanford sticker vs Gtown.... probably Stanford. But again, go to the school where you'll thrive. That can be independent of reputation.
I don't see any world where Gtwon with token money beats out stanford, unless OP has incredible connections in DC that'll be sure to get him a great job
Beat out in what? Rankings? Earning potential? What about cultural fit? Networks? Niche programs? Location? I'm confident it depends on the person. Personally, at this late in the game, I would choose SLS over GULC, but that's because I'm blinded by prestige and general anxieties to impress other people. And that's a total mistake. Don't be me. Pick based on what's best for you, at a genuine level.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

LendLease wrote:Hey guys. First time posting on TLS. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their thoughts. I love how we catalyze our collective insanity to make ourselves sane. I received an offer of acceptance from Stanford this morning. I honestly cannot believe it and am jumping for joy. Unfortunately, they said there will be no scholarship available. This is obviously quite crushing to me, as every penny would ameliorate my situation. Georgetown is still my top choice, so I will remain on the waitlist. I did not have the distinction of being on the special wait list. I guess I am posting this to show how much a good LOCI can make a difference. I spent close to two weeks crafting mine for Stanford. I never received any waitlist updates from them, so I decided to fly to California, sit outside the Dean's office, and personally hand her the letter. You never know what will happen. Good luck to everyone else the rest of the way. I really want to go to Georgetown!
Hi! I'm on the WL at Stanford and desperately trying to get in. Do you mind sharing your stats and what school you were committed to prior to your acceptance? What deadline did Dean Deal give you to respond? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share publicly but this would be so helpful! Thank you kindly!

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Dude. Go to Stanford. If you get off of GULC's waitlist, the amount of merit aid you could potentially get will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall tuition you'll pay. In no world will GULC and their offer beat Stanford at sticker. Don't sacrifice this opportunity.
Stanford sticker vs Gtown.... probably Stanford. But again, go to the school where you'll thrive. That can be independent of reputation.
I don't see any world where Gtwon with token money beats out stanford, unless OP has incredible connections in DC that'll be sure to get him a great job
Beat out in what? Rankings? Earning potential? What about cultural fit? Networks? Niche programs? Location? I'm confident it depends on the person. Personally, at this late in the game, I would choose SLS over GULC, but that's because I'm blinded by prestige and general anxieties to impress other people. And that's a total mistake. Don't be me. Pick based on what's best for you, at a genuine level.
Law school at the end of the day is about employment, and maximizing employment opportunities. Cultural fit/Location should only really be a factor when comparing two similarly ranked schools with similar outcome opportunities (say, between UChicago v. Columbia). However, Stanford's ranking, earning potential, networking potential, and niche program potential are all vastly greater than GULC's - and all of that is objective. That's why I conditioned by comment by saying that unless OP was 100% certain GULC would offer him the same potential for personal opportunities (because he has rock solid DC specific contacts no matter his school choice, or because he wants to do public legal work in DC), there would be no question that Stanford would be the better choice. It's more than just prestige here - it's about the opportunities on offer.

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:17 pm

It may not be but this post sounds like a troll. First time poster, no one has heard of Stanford waitlist movement so far, he/she flew to the school and waited outside the deans office to give them their loci... And it's not their top choice, and they got into Stanford but weren't even pwl at Georgetown. Very odd

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:It may not be but this post sounds like a troll. First time poster, no one has heard of Stanford waitlist movement so far, he/she flew to the school and waited outside the deans office to give them their loci... And it's not their top choice, and they got into Stanford but weren't even pwl at Georgetown. Very odd
(((Kind of was thinking the same thing especially because he/she "sat outside" the Dean's office and there's no chair outside her office so unless he/she sat on the ground why would he/she say "sat outside" instead of "stood outside")))

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patttt

Silver

Post by patttt » Thu May 25, 2017 3:45 pm

charles117 wrote:
LilUziVert wrote:It's insane to bring up COA in response to email like this, right?

The thing is, given my goals and whatnot, I would 100% attend GULC if they offered me admission at a similar COA to where I am currently deposited (which would entail a smallish scholarship), but I am not ready to say that I'd do the same at sticker. I don't really want to lie to them and say that I'd attend 100% no matter what.
If you aren't willing to say you will attend at sticker price, there are at least ten other waitlisters who will absolutely tell dean cornblatt that they are willing to pay sticker price if admitted. They likely will get in ahead of you too.
Not sure where other people are getting their info from, but before I was admitted off the waitlist I told them that in order for me to come to gtown they would need to match my scholarship at a peer school and adjust for COA - then i would 100% enroll. They did that and more.

chichi1992

Bronze

Post by chichi1992 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Has anyone submitted an LOCI and received zero response? I sent one on May 5 and never heard anything. I just sent another quick update yesterday as a response to the mass e-mail that was circulated...hoping to get some acknowledgement!

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Law school at the end of the day is about employment, and maximizing employment opportunities. Cultural fit/Location should only really be a factor when comparing two similarly ranked schools with similar outcome opportunities (say, between UChicago v. Columbia). However, Stanford's ranking, earning potential, networking potential, and niche program potential are all vastly greater than GULC's - and all of that is objective. That's why I conditioned by comment by saying that unless OP was 100% certain GULC would offer him the same potential for personal opportunities (because he has rock solid DC specific contacts no matter his school choice, or because he wants to do public legal work in DC), there would be no question that Stanford would be the better choice. It's more than just prestige here - it's about the opportunities on offer.
Yes, objectively Stanford is the better choice. But subjective preferences may outweigh the objective or rational, which may lead someone to pick GULC over SLS. And that person might be just as happy or more. So I still believe you have to do what not only is right, but feels right for you.

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 pm

patttt wrote:
charles117 wrote:
LilUziVert wrote:It's insane to bring up COA in response to email like this, right?

The thing is, given my goals and whatnot, I would 100% attend GULC if they offered me admission at a similar COA to where I am currently deposited (which would entail a smallish scholarship), but I am not ready to say that I'd do the same at sticker. I don't really want to lie to them and say that I'd attend 100% no matter what.
If you aren't willing to say you will attend at sticker price, there are at least ten other waitlisters who will absolutely tell dean cornblatt that they are willing to pay sticker price if admitted. They likely will get in ahead of you too.
Not sure where other people are getting their info from, but before I was admitted off the waitlist I told them that in order for me to come to gtown they would need to match my scholarship at a peer school and adjust for COA - then i would 100% enroll. They did that and more.
Basically, milage varies. You may have stats good enough to get in off the waitlist while telling them your condition for merit aid and COA. However, most people on the waitlist will not have stats good enough to make that work. The best bet to getting off the waitlist is telling GULC "if accepted, I will 100% attend." But, if you know you can't make that work realistically, be honest and in your emails, explain what you would need in order to accept an offer. These schools value professionalism too, and if you can make your position clear and professional, they will listen. It might work for you like it did the last person I quoted in this post, or it might not. But if it doesn't, well, you weren't gonna attend GULC anyway unless they gave you what you were asking for.

I think there's truth in the statement, "someone with worse stats who says they will commit even at sticker price will likely get an acceptance over someone who says they will accept IF they get a sizable merit aid match." However, GULC's needs are always shifting, depending on if they (need/don't need) your GPA or LSAT to boost their medians, or if they (have a lot/don't have) any merit aid left to give out.

Like I said, milage will vary. But put it this way. If you, X, have the same stats/soft power as Y, and you say you will "100% attend if accepted" and Y says they will only attend on a condition, the likely result is this: You (X) are more likely to be accepted over Y.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Fri May 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Was on the PW and never responded to any updates about it - they just withdrew for me. Just thought I'd let you know they're culling down the non-responders.

schmem

New

Post by schmem » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Was on the PW and never responded to any updates about it - they just withdrew for me. Just thought I'd let you know they're culling down the non-responders.
Did they just send you an email?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Fri May 26, 2017 3:01 pm

schmem wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Was on the PW and never responded to any updates about it - they just withdrew for me. Just thought I'd let you know they're culling down the non-responders.
Did they just send you an email?
Yeah

app22

New

Post by app22 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Hey guys! Did anyone receive any emails/calls today?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Tue May 30, 2017 5:12 pm

app22 wrote:Hey guys! Did anyone receive any emails/calls today?
Did you receive any? I assumed we wouldn't hear back until the June 1st second deposit deadline?

app22

New

Post by app22 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 pm

BabyJD wrote:
Did you receive any? I assumed we wouldn't hear back until the June 1st second deposit deadline?

Oh no I didn't! I was just wondering because I was reading last year's thread and some seemed to get accepted the day or so before the deadline. Plus, Georgetown said spots could open up before the June 1 deadline. Sorry didn't mean to alarm!

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Tue May 30, 2017 5:57 pm

app22 wrote:
BabyJD wrote:

Oh no I didn't! I was just wondering because I was reading last year's thread and some seemed to get accepted the day or so before the deadline. Plus, Georgetown said spots could open up before the June 1 deadline. Sorry didn't mean to alarm!
No worries! Just got excited at the prospect of wait list movement!

LJL123

New

Post by LJL123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Has anyone received a feeler call today and/or experienced movement of any kind?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

app22

New

Post by app22 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:18 pm

LJL123 wrote:Has anyone received a feeler call today and/or experienced movement of any kind?

Thanks!

No- and I was hoping to because on last year's thread, a good number of people were called on the 1st.

brownbird

New

Post by brownbird » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Any movement today?

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 am

I should think perhaps on Monday there might be some activity once they take stock of who may have withdrawn given the deposit deadline. After 2 LOCI with some significant updates and flat out telling them I would attend, I am hoping to wiggle off the Preferred Waitlist. :roll:

mahbesq

New

Post by mahbesq » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Halfcooked wrote:I should think perhaps on Monday there might be some activity once they take stock of who may have withdrawn given the deposit deadline. After 2 LOCI with some significant updates and flat out telling them I would attend, I am hoping to wiggle off the Preferred Waitlist. :roll:

Same boat - Preferred wait list, 2 loci, and a few updates. Do you think we would be getting feelers calls beforehand or just an email letting us know yes or no? The anticipation is torturous!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Halfcooked

New

Post by Halfcooked » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:32 pm

mahbesq wrote:
Halfcooked wrote:I should think perhaps on Monday there might be some activity once they take stock of who may have withdrawn given the deposit deadline. After 2 LOCI with some significant updates and flat out telling them I would attend, I am hoping to wiggle off the Preferred Waitlist. :roll:

Same boat - Preferred wait list, 2 loci, and a few updates. Do you think we would be getting feelers calls beforehand or just an email letting us know yes or no? The anticipation is torturous!
Given that it is Georgetown's policy not to tell you the admissions decision by anything other than snail mail, I would think hearing via the phone or email that one has been accepted is about zilch. Feeler calls, perhaps. I am not an expert by any means though. I certainly will be hoping to see a Washington DC number appear on my phone. It seems to me that most that are accepted off the waitlist have at least gotten a feeler call.... which I have not received at any point in time. I remain hopeful nonetheless. :shock:

app22

New

Post by app22 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Hoping we will hear something today....the waiting is killing me.

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm

I withdrew and threw $45k/year back into the pot. If you get in, ASK FOR MONEY!

mahbesq

New

Post by mahbesq » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

app22 wrote:Hoping we will hear something today....the waiting is killing me.
Ditto!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”