Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
schmem

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 WAITLIST

Post by schmem » Wed May 24, 2017 10:36 am

mahbesq wrote:
Zuko wrote:Assuming everyone just got the "Georgetown Waitlist Update" email just now? Just asking to keep in touch with your level of interest, also saying that late next week or maybe earlier they should have some spots.

Preferred Wait List here - received no email today, personally.
Regular WL, I also didn't receive one. I sent a letter in last Friday, though, so I guess they know my level of interest?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 am

Is everyone just responding to this email in a very similar fashion to what they responded to the last one? I'm trying to think how I can change it up a little.

aaron1621

New

Post by aaron1621 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 am

Just received the waitlist update:

We are getting ready for our June 1 tuition deposit deadline, and I thought I would reach out to you one more time. As of today, our class is looking quite full but there is a pretty good chance that some spaces could open up late next week, possibly before.

If you are still interested in attending Georgetown, please continue to keep in touch with us at lawadmis@georgetown.edu. Going forward, the Committee will be particularly interested in applicants who truly want to be at Georgetown and will come if admitted. Please note that if spaces do become available, there will be a short time frame for you to make your enrollment decision.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be in touch as soon as we have any news, but promise you an update no later than June 9th, if you haven't heard from us before then.

As always, I thank you for your patience and interest in Georgetown and wish you a terrific summer.

LilUziVert

New

Post by LilUziVert » Wed May 24, 2017 11:18 am

I also just got the same update. Regular WL. A bit annoying since I've already sent them two LOCI (including one this month), but I guess I'll write another...

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Wed May 24, 2017 11:47 am

Regular WL, didn't receive the email but I did send in a second LOCI this Monday and received confirmation that it was added to my file on Tuesday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 pm

This may go without saying, but the best thing you can do now is respond to each and every waitlist update email positively, and in the email say something along the lines of, "I will 100% attend if you give me an offer of acceptance." That's what they want to hear right now. If you've been doing that already, you're stand a good chance already. If you haven't done that yet, now is the time to start.

eleg

New

Post by eleg » Wed May 24, 2017 12:52 pm

If I haven't received any of these recent emails, have I basically been dinged? :(

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:54 pm

eleg wrote:If I haven't received any of these recent emails, have I basically been dinged? :(
I think they send them in waves. I got today's email and I think there was an email previously sent that I didn't get.

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Wed May 24, 2017 12:57 pm

eleg wrote:If I haven't received any of these recent emails, have I basically been dinged? :(
I wouldn't say so. Waitlist update emails came in staggered last year, and for those that got separate emails later on, it actually meant they were moved to a special priority waitlist group. Not saying that's what's happening here, but don't count your chickens and all that. The only way you're out, is if GULC emails you and says you're out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mahbesq

New

Post by mahbesq » Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
I wouldn't say so. Waitlist update emails came in staggered last year, and for those that got separate emails later on, it actually meant they were moved to a special priority waitlist group. Not saying that's what's happening here, but don't count your chickens and all that. The only way you're out, is if GULC emails you and says you're out.

Around what time last year did you get admitted off the wait list?

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm

mahbesq wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:

PMed

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
mahbesq wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:

PMed
+1 Could you also please let me know? Much appreciated!

platanopower

New

Post by platanopower » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm a regular WL. Just chiming in to say I received the latest waitlist update email. I also received the much more pessimistic update email a few weeks back. Not sure what to make of any of this! Gtown is out to toy with people's emotions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chinajoe111

New

Post by chinajoe111 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:This may go without saying, but the best thing you can do now is respond to each and every waitlist update email positively, and in the email say something along the lines of, "I will 100% attend if you give me an offer of acceptance." That's what they want to hear right now. If you've been doing that already, you're stand a good chance already. If you haven't done that yet, now is the time to start.
I just sent an reply email thanking them for the update and reiterating my interest. Is that enough? I've already sent in a LOCI a month or so ago and an application update about a week and half ago. I just don't have any more updates or news other than that lol

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Wed May 24, 2017 10:38 pm

chinajoe111 wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:This may go without saying, but the best thing you can do now is respond to each and every waitlist update email positively, and in the email say something along the lines of, "I will 100% attend if you give me an offer of acceptance." That's what they want to hear right now. If you've been doing that already, you're stand a good chance already. If you haven't done that yet, now is the time to start.
I just sent an reply email thanking them for the update and reiterating my interest. Is that enough? I've already sent in a LOCI a month or so ago and an application update about a week and half ago. I just don't have any more updates or news other than that lol
"I will 100% attend if you give me an offer of acceptance." How ever you want to rearrange or change around those letters and words, the message in that sentence is imperative, and is the best shot anyone getting off any waitlist has at boosting their odds, barring a better LSAT score or GPA increase. If you want more specifics on what I did personally, feel free to PM me. But the biggest takeaway is the power of the sentence: "I will 100% attend if you give me an offer of acceptance."

LilUziVert

New

Post by LilUziVert » Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 am

It's insane to bring up COA in response to email like this, right?

The thing is, given my goals and whatnot, I would 100% attend GULC if they offered me admission at a similar COA to where I am currently deposited (which would entail a smallish scholarship), but I am not ready to say that I'd do the same at sticker. I don't really want to lie to them and say that I'd attend 100% no matter what.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 am

LilUziVert wrote:It's insane to bring up COA in response to email like this, right?

The thing is, given my goals and whatnot, I would 100% attend GULC if they offered me admission at a similar COA to where I am currently deposited (which would entail a smallish scholarship), but I am not ready to say that I'd do the same at sticker. I don't really want to lie to them and say that I'd attend 100% no matter what.
If you aren't willing to say you will attend at sticker price, there are at least ten other waitlisters who will absolutely tell dean cornblatt that they are willing to pay sticker price if admitted. They likely will get in ahead of you too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Thu May 25, 2017 12:52 pm

charles117 wrote:
LilUziVert wrote:It's insane to bring up COA in response to email like this, right?

If you aren't willing to say you will attend at sticker price, there are at least ten other waitlisters who will absolutely tell dean cornblatt that they are willing to pay sticker price if admitted. They likely will get in ahead of you too.
I agree. However, you shouldn't say that to simply get in for its own sake. You're wasting your time (and frankly ours) if they give you an offer you wouldn't take. I would convey strong interest, and specify what it would take for you to go.

LendLease

New

Post by LendLease » Thu May 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Last edited by LendLease on Thu May 25, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm

LendLease wrote:Hey guys. First time posting on TLS. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their thoughts. I love how we catalyze our collective insanity to make ourselves sane. I received an offer of acceptance from Stanford this morning. I honestly cannot believe it and am jumping for joy. Unfortunately, they said there will be no scholarship available. This is obviously quite crushing to me, as every penny would ameliorate my situation. Georgetown is still my top choice, so I will remain on the waitlist. I did not have the distinction of being on the special wait list. I guess I am posting this to show how much a good LOCI can make a difference. I spent close to two weeks crafting mine for Stanford. I never received any waitlist updates from them, so I decided to fly to California, sit outside the Dean's office, and personally hand her the letter. You never know what will happen. Good luck to everyone else the rest of the way. I really want to go to Georgetown!
Dude. Go to Stanford. If you get off of GULC's waitlist, the amount of merit aid you could potentially get will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall tuition you'll pay. In no world will GULC and their offer beat Stanford at sticker. Don't sacrifice this opportunity.

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
LendLease wrote:Hey guys. First time posting on TLS. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their thoughts. I love how we catalyze our collective insanity to make ourselves sane. I received an offer of acceptance from Stanford this morning. I honestly cannot believe it and am jumping for joy. Unfortunately, they said there will be no scholarship available. This is obviously quite crushing to me, as every penny would ameliorate my situation. Georgetown is still my top choice, so I will remain on the waitlist. I did not have the distinction of being on the special wait list. I guess I am posting this to show how much a good LOCI can make a difference. I spent close to two weeks crafting mine for Stanford. I never received any waitlist updates from them, so I decided to fly to California, sit outside the Dean's office, and personally hand her the letter. You never know what will happen. Good luck to everyone else the rest of the way. I really want to go to Georgetown!
Dude. Go to Stanford. If you get off of GULC's waitlist, the amount of merit aid you could potentially get will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall tuition you'll pay. In no world will GULC and their offer beat Stanford at sticker. Don't sacrifice this opportunity.
Stanford sticker vs Gtown.... probably Stanford. But again, go to the school where you'll thrive. That can be independent of reputation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GULCwaitlistPro

New

Post by GULCwaitlistPro » Thu May 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Mudori wrote:
GULCwaitlistPro wrote:
Stanford sticker vs Gtown.... probably Stanford. But again, go to the school where you'll thrive. That can be independent of reputation.
I don't see any world where Gtwon with token money beats out stanford, unless OP has incredible connections in DC that'll be sure to get him a great job

BabyJD

New

Post by BabyJD » Thu May 25, 2017 2:40 pm

My boss went to Stanford Law. When discussing law school options & COA, he told me Stanford at sticker would be a no brainer given that you'll pay off your loans in the first year provided that you do well and work to get a great job after graduation. Just thought I'd pass this along as I wouldn't give up a chance at Stanford.

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

As a dude with significant scholarship at GULC, I would sacrifice my scholly, my left testicle, and my firstborn child to attend Stanford at sticker.

Go, and never look back.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”