Penn Law c/o 2020 - WAITLIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stevengnehs

New

Re: Penn Law c/o 2020 - WAITLIST

Post by stevengnehs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 am

34iplaw wrote:At least from my informational meeting, it did not seem like Penn Law suspected they would ever have a 'wave' in the way some other larger schools may have down the line or had earlier in the process. I imagine that is a consequence of being a highly ranked small school as opposed to a highly ranked large school like NYU or CLS.
Agree. Which is bad.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 am

stevengnehs wrote:
34iplaw wrote:At least from my informational meeting, it did not seem like Penn Law suspected they would ever have a 'wave' in the way some other larger schools may have down the line or had earlier in the process. I imagine that is a consequence of being a highly ranked small school as opposed to a highly ranked large school like NYU or CLS.
Agree. Which is bad.
I don't really think it's necessarily bad or good... it's just the slow trickle that is the norm for them. (Sorry, I really don't mean to be a pedant on that point.) It kind of sucks, but it's whatever I suppose.

stevengnehs

New

Post by stevengnehs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 am

34iplaw wrote:
stevengnehs wrote:
Agree. Which is bad.
I don't really think it's necessarily bad or good... it's just the slow trickle that is the norm for them. (Sorry, I really don't mean to be a pedant on that point.) It kind of sucks, but it's whatever I suppose.
I meant that statistically speaking, the probability of we hearing wl admits from a continuous process and that of we hearing from a "wave" should be very close. I assumed that there is little movement on this forum because there has not been any "wave" yet, but now that we know it is a continuous process, its probability because they are not admitting many wl candidates at all.

stevengnehs

New

Post by stevengnehs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am

Also the AO said they will not give any merit $ to waitlist candidates. Which is even worse.
Might just withdraw.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:03 pm

stevengnehs wrote:Also the AO said they will not give any merit $ to waitlist candidates. Which is even worse.
Might just withdraw.
@Steven, that is what I was told as well. Your points above are fair enough, but I wouldn't speculate all that much. Penn, for whatever reason, isn't too popular on TLS it seems (I really don't get why) so I wouldn't read into how many people are posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 pm

in a great mood today. expecting an acceptance. quote me

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 pm

jamesmangi wrote:in a great mood today. expecting an acceptance. quote me
Congrats! I presume the enthusiasm indicates you intend to enroll? If so, good thing the games over.

That said, mind PMing numbers / what has preceded the confidence/admission?

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:05 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Congrats! I presume the enthusiasm indicates you intend to enroll? If so, good thing the games over.

my enthusiasm is baseless. im just tryna get thru the work day lol. telling myself what i need/want to hear.

Mudori

New

Post by Mudori » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 pm

jamesmangi wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

my enthusiasm is baseless. im just tryna get thru the work day lol. telling myself what i need/want to hear.
To all those waiting, hang in there. I'm right there with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Mudori wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Oh haha. Well, best of luck to all of us still waiting and hope we all have alternatives we are happy with just in case!

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Mudori wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Oh haha. Well, best of luck to all of us still waiting and hope we all have alternatives we are happy with just in case!
i just lowkey wish we would have received more of a detailed waitlist update last week, ya know

jamesmangi

Bronze

Post by jamesmangi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 pm

it was just like "hey, u on the WL? keep waiting, baby."

like bruhhh

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Mudori wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

It does seem to be a pretty small group of waiters-- hopefully the odds are in our favor. Maybe Columbia's movement could trigger something for us?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:23 pm

haley12 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Mudori wrote:
jamesmangi wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

It does seem to be a pretty small group of waiters-- hopefully the odds are in our favor. Maybe Columbia's movement could trigger something for us?
It's hard to know. Penn doesn't admit a terribly high number of people. I think it's reasonable that Columbia movement would potentially pull a good number from NYU and Penn. I'm telling myself it could be mainly splitters too, because splitters tend not to get a ton of money with reliability to T6/10 so it makes the calculus of swallowing the quarter million dollar bullet from CLS in chase of prestige a bit easier.

Don't wreck my dreams! Haha

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Received a feeler call. But they seem very adamant about protecting their yield rate, and would not hand out offers unless you will attend right away. But they don't have any merit aid left.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Received a feeler call. But they seem very adamant about protecting their yield rate, and would not hand out offers unless you will attend right away. But they don't have any merit aid left.
Awesome and congrats! Good to know. Let us know what you decide and congrats again.

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:50 am

melmelcoolj wrote:Received a feeler call. But they seem very adamant about protecting their yield rate, and would not hand out offers unless you will attend right away. But they don't have any merit aid left.
Congrats!
Can I ask whether you did the informal interview and how it went?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 am

Shangrilala wrote:
Congrats!
Yes! I did an informal interview with the director of admissions, and I think it went well -- but nothing spectacular happened. It was just a generic interview, and I asked a couple questions. I don't recall being asked any question other than "Why Penn."

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
Shangrilala wrote:
Congrats!
Yes! I did an informal interview with the director of admissions, and I think it went well -- but nothing spectacular happened. It was just a generic interview, and I asked a couple questions. I don't recall being asked any question other than "Why Penn."
Thanks!
Did you submit LOCI?
If you did, did you say anything other than or did you repeat what you put on your LOCI for "why penn" question?

lawlife64

New

Post by lawlife64 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:41 am

Did she happen to say anything about how many more waitlist candidates they expect to admit?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:36 pm

lawlife64 wrote:
Did she happen to say anything about how many more waitlist candidates they expect to admit?
Yes. She definitely made it sound like I'm not the only one, and there is a batch. I'm not sure if that's a negotiation tactic though -- but I think she's being very genuine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Shangrilala wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
Shangrilala wrote:
Congrats!
Thanks!
Did you submit LOCI?
If you did, did you say anything other than or did you repeat what you put on your LOCI for "why penn" question?
Well, my situation was a little weird, since I applied after their deadline has passed (not by much) without a Why Penn. And then I went straight to the waitlist in March. I sent in a Why Penn right away, and waited for another three weeks for a LOCI which included nothing much other than my continued interest and an update on my resume. Also I think my PS was crap, so I sort of took the LOCI as a second chance. After that, I just sent them a quick note every three or four weeks saying I'm still interested. And then I did the informational interview, and sent in a follow-up.

At this point, I really doubt they want to read long essays from you. They most likely just want to see you will go if admitted. A quick note would be sufficient.

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Dinged today via email. Not surprised, no why Penn, LOCI or extra essay. Was wondering why they held me for so long.

lawlife64

New

Post by lawlife64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:12 am

latinxlawschool2020 wrote:Dinged today via email. Not surprised, no why Penn, LOCI or extra essay. Was wondering why they held me for so long.
Honestly at this point I would rather be dinged than wait around in hopeless suspense all summer...this is torture

hbdash

New

Post by hbdash » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Has anyone received a feeler call yet this week, or know of anyone who has?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”