UCLA Law Class of 2020 WAIT LIST Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How Long Will You Ride Out This WL?

As long as I can (#1 Choice)
46%
Until Early July (#1 Choice, But Can't Live With Constant Uncertainty)
21%
Not Long After 1st Deposit
4%
Not Long After 2nd Deposit
4%
I'm Already Over It
26%

Total votes: 57

lawboundsomeday

New

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2020 WAIT LIST

Post by lawboundsomeday » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 am

ray.bee wrote:UCLA is my #1 choice... I got a WL from ED but got into UVA and UT and Vandy.... WHY UCLA. WHY. :roll:
Did you submit a LOCI? If not, you should!

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:24 am

lawboundsomeday wrote:
ray.bee wrote:UCLA is my #1 choice... I got a WL from ED but got into UVA and UT and Vandy.... WHY UCLA. WHY. :roll:
Did you submit a LOCI? If not, you should!
Yes and a new LOR. I'll send another LOCI soon. Thanks!

whatupbrobro

New

Post by whatupbrobro » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 am

when is a good time to send in a loci?? and how often should I follow up?

Also, what other ways can I increase my chances to get off the WL here??

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:44 pm

will wl movement start immediately after the deposit deadline or until a later date?

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Let's hope for some movement in the coming days!!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:04 pm

ray.bee wrote:Let's hope for some movement in the coming days!!!! :D
That would be amazing :)

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Withdrawing my acceptance today!
Wishing you all the best. Did my undergrad at UCLA. You'll love it. Feel free to ask me questions about the area.

irongirl51

New

Post by irongirl51 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Come on movement!!! :lol: Hopefully we see some action!

Raven48

New

Post by Raven48 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:Withdrawing my acceptance today!
Wishing you all the best. Did my undergrad at UCLA. You'll love it. Feel free to ask me questions about the area.
Best of luck to you as well!

Given that on campus housing may not be available for wait list admits, where would you say are good areas to get an off-campus place?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 am

Raven48 wrote:

Given that on campus housing may not be available for wait list admits, where would you say are good areas to get an off-campus place?

Thanks!
Let me know what you're more interested in/top priorities in a place and I'm happy to recommend a few spots!

Wh

Raven48

New

Post by Raven48 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!
Let me know what you're more interested in/top priorities in a place and I'm happy to recommend a few spots!

Wh
Hmm...I think the main thing for me would be to not end up in one of the main party neighborhoods. I would also hope to be either within walking/biking distance to campus or at least near a bus line in case I don't bring my car, but feel free to recommend any areas further from campus you think might be good, especially if they're much cheaper.

Speaking of cars, how's the traffic around the area? Is it mainly the 405 that gets terrible or can it really spill out into the neighborhoods around UCLA too?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 am

Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!

Wh
Hmm...I think the main thing for me would be to not end up in one of the main party neighborhoods. I would also hope to be either within walking/biking distance to campus or at least near a bus line in case I don't bring my car, but feel free to recommend any areas further from campus you think might be good, especially if they're much cheaper.

Speaking of cars, how's the traffic around the area? Is it mainly the 405 that gets terrible or can it really spill out into the neighborhoods around UCLA too?
The apartments surrounding trader joes are a lot quieter, but they are also on the pricey side. That's like Weyburn/Glendon area.

The main area to avoid if you're noise averse is everything bounded by Weyburn, Gayley, and Veteran Avenues. That's where all of the frats and most undergrads live. WIthin that area, Veteran and Kelton are a bit quieter; Roebling, Midvale and Gayley are louder, though farther down Gayley (toward Wilburn) is definitely better. This area is extremely dense with students. I'd say about 10,000 live in this few block area.

South of Wilshire (anything at Wilshire avenue or (duh) south) is definitely quieter and usually cheaper and/or nicer. There's definitely buses that take you up to campus, otherwise it's walkable if you have lots of time. Getting farther from campus, a lot of people choose to live in Brentwood, which is just across the freeway. I'm not sure if there's buses. Santa Monica is also nice but, of course, farther. There are buses but they can take considerable time. People do bike in LA, but it can be tough to find safe routes, so definitely check on that before choosing to bike commute.

The 405 is truly awful. Surface street traffic can vary by time of day, but it's generally always at least somewhat present. People don't drive much around UCLA itself, as westwood village is super walkable, as is campus. Going out to, say, Beverly Hills or Santa Monica will usually involve at least mild street traffic. Going toward Santa Monica on top beach days can be mildly brutal. Where are you from? I'd say surface street traffic is reasonably normal for a city. Like, driving the 4 or 5 miles to Santa Monica is 15-25 min on a good day, but 45 if everyone else is going to the beach, too. To be honest, I never felt like it was too horrible unless we were going downtown or something. Downtown is about 15 miles and it quite commonly takes an hour to drive. But, seriously, people don't go that much because there's so much in West LA

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!

Wh

The apartments surrounding trader joes are a lot quieter, but they are also on the pricey side. That's like Weyburn/Glendon area.

The main area to avoid if you're noise averse is everything bounded by Weyburn, Gayley, and Veteran Avenues. That's where all of the frats and most undergrads live. WIthin that area, Veteran and Kelton are a bit quieter; Roebling, Midvale and Gayley are louder, though farther down Gayley (toward Wilburn) is definitely better. This area is extremely dense with students. I'd say about 10,000 live in this few block area.

South of Wilshire (anything at Wilshire avenue or (duh) south) is definitely quieter and usually cheaper and/or nicer. There's definitely buses that take you up to campus, otherwise it's walkable if you have lots of time. Getting farther from campus, a lot of people choose to live in Brentwood, which is just across the freeway. I'm not sure if there's buses. Santa Monica is also nice but, of course, farther. There are buses but they can take considerable time. People do bike in LA, but it can be tough to find safe routes, so definitely check on that before choosing to bike commute.

The 405 is truly awful. Surface street traffic can vary by time of day, but it's generally always at least somewhat present. People don't drive much around UCLA itself, as westwood village is super walkable, as is campus. Going out to, say, Beverly Hills or Santa Monica will usually involve at least mild street traffic. Going toward Santa Monica on top beach days can be mildly brutal. Where are you from? I'd say surface street traffic is reasonably normal for a city. Like, driving the 4 or 5 miles to Santa Monica is 15-25 min on a good day, but 45 if everyone else is going to the beach, too. To be honest, I never felt like it was too horrible unless we were going downtown or something. Downtown is about 15 miles and it quite commonly takes an hour to drive. But, seriously, people don't go that much because there's so much in West LA
Thanks so much for the thorough answer! What if we prioritize socializing more? I would love to be in walking distance to both campus and bars without being in an undergrad area? Does that exist or am I just dreaming? :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm

haley12 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!

Wh

Thanks so much for the thorough answer! What if we prioritize socializing more? I would love to be in walking distance to both campus and bars without being in an undergrad area? Does that exist or am I just dreaming? :lol:
There are only a few bars in westwood. There was some sort of footlooseish ban on dance floors in bars that came down decades ago because Westwood disco'ed too hard. True story. I can only tell you what undergrads did, but grad students might be able to fill you in with how they cope/favorite spots. We usually headed to West Hollywood, Santa Monica, or toward downtown. Brew co, the local fave, got replaced by boiling crab while I was there. The last of WW dive bars was recently reaplaced by Rocco's tavern after I left. Not sure how it is.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Checking in :(

Stevie_Rave_On

New

Post by Stevie_Rave_On » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:46 pm

How many LOCIs have you all sent? I sent one a few weeks after my initial WL, and I'm considering sending another one now. Do they give a shit if you've put down a deposit anywhere else? Or do they just assume everyone on the WL is hedging their bets?

Raven48

New

Post by Raven48 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:07 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!

Wh

I live in the NYC metro area, so the surface streets probably would be fine for someone like me, but yeah that 405 looks like another beast entirely. I'll probably try to plan around so I don't have to take it much. I've heard WW described as a "bubble" so it looks like a good place to be a 1L when I won't have the time to travel much anyway lol. Definitely appreciate you warning us as to where the undergrads congregate.

Thanks again for all your help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Raven48 wrote:

Thanks!

Wh

I live in the NYC metro area, so the surface streets probably would be fine for someone like me, but yeah that 405 looks like another beast entirely. I'll probably try to plan around so I don't have to take it much. I've heard WW described as a "bubble" so it looks like a good place to be a 1L when I won't have the time to travel much anyway lol. Definitely appreciate you warning us as to where the undergrads congregate.

Thanks again for all your help!
No problem! I wouldn't describe it as a bubble so much as a village. You're really not far from other great parts of LA, and people often leave to go to Beverly Hills for brunch, sawtelle (japan town) for ramen, korea town for kbbq, or santa monica/venice for the beach/bars.
but, at the same time, it's like a very mini college down stuck right onto campus

Best of luck to all!

irongirl51

New

Post by irongirl51 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Does anyone know when UCLA's 1st deposit is? I keep getting mixed answers. This Friday or May 1? :roll:

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

irongirl51 wrote:Does anyone know when UCLA's 1st deposit is? I keep getting mixed answers. This Friday or May 1? :roll:
I thought it was last Friday

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 pm

I had to withdraw a few days ago because the deadline couldn't be changed, but UCLA's dean was super understanding and awesome in general.

Hopefully, that'll let one of you hear back sooner/get your hands on some money.

#don'tquote
#hashtag
Last edited by 34iplaw on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

irongirl51

New

Post by irongirl51 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 am

34iplaw wrote:I had to withdraw a few days ago because the deadline couldn't be changed, but UCLA's dean was super understanding and awesome in general.

Hopefully, that'll let one of you hear back sooner/get your hands on some money.

#dunquote#hashtag
So, was it last friday?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am

irongirl51 wrote:
So, was it last friday?
Late last week but can double check date... may have been Thurs - can you remove the last quote tho?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am

34iplaw wrote:
irongirl51 wrote:
So, was it last friday?
Late last week but can double check date... may have been Thurs - can you remove the last quote tho?
It was the 15th. Last Saturday.

170orDie

New

Post by 170orDie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:18 pm

planning on sending a LOCI, should i sent it to admissions email or the dean of admissions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”