The Waitlist Purgatory [NEW POLL!!] Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Any movement yet??

Accepted off the waitlist!!
11%
Nope. I sent in an LOCI and/or visited campus and hope I get in soon!
31%
Nope, but I'm so done with this law school applications stuff that I can't bring myself to write a LOCI.
8%
Nope, and at this point I don't even care because I'm already going somewhere that actually wants me.
15%
Nope, my safety school waitlisted me and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
8%
Nope, but I heard of someone else getting in off the waitlists this year so I guess there's still hope.
5%
I'm reapplying next year and hopefully these schools will realize the folly of their ways.
4%
I was never waitlisted and am just still here to continue to water my plants with the TTTears of the peasantry.
4%
Fuck. Everything. Still.
11%
Didn't even apply this year and thank goodness I didn't.
4%

Total votes: 424

tncats

Bronze

Re: The Waitlist Purgatory

Post by tncats » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:27 am

theothercat wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
m052310 wrote:UVA here. Ehh well.
+1 (after a profoundly bad interview)
How so? I've never understood how these can go super well or super poor.. They're just so... formulaic, I guess would be the word
The interviewer's first question was "What was the worst day of your life?" I wasn't quite prepared to get that personal, so I fumbled the question around for far too long, and the rest of the interview was really awkward.
Wow, I think anyone would get off to a terrible start after that question.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 am

tncats wrote:
theothercat wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
How so? I've never understood how these can go super well or super poor.. They're just so... formulaic, I guess would be the word
The interviewer's first question was "What was the worst day of your life?" I wasn't quite prepared to get that personal, so I fumbled the question around for far too long, and the rest of the interview was really awkward.
Yeah, I was pretty salty about it. :lol: Fortunately, I wasn't too broken up about it, as I didn't think that UVA was a top choice at the outset, and the interview/waitlist was confirmation of that.

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Waitlisted at GW. Only school I applied to - early binding. Obviously it's my dream. Currently working on apps to other schools as an insurance policy.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm

tparty wrote:Waitlisted at GW. Only school I applied to - early binding. Obviously it's my dream. Currently working on apps to other schools as an insurance policy.
Don't lose hope! Write that LOCI. I got in almost a month after I was waitlisted last cycle!

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
tparty wrote:Waitlisted at GW. Only school I applied to - early binding. Obviously it's my dream. Currently working on apps to other schools as an insurance policy.
Don't lose hope! Write that LOCI. I got in almost a month after I was waitlisted last cycle!
Because I had been waiting for a response for 2 months, I wrote a LOCI before getting WL with an update of my fall semester grades. I'm going to wait a little before sending another... need some meaningful updates to come about :P That's good to hear though! Hope I'm that fortunate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Post by Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:57 pm

theothercat wrote:
tncats wrote:
theothercat wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
Yeah, I was pretty salty about it. :lol: Fortunately, I wasn't too broken up about it, as I didn't think that UVA was a top choice at the outset, and the interview/waitlist was confirmation of that.
Dudddde. That's a harsh first question. Props for toughing it out for the rest of the interview!

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Officially checking in for Penn! Honestly, I wrote a terrible (comparatively) Why Penn essay, so hopefully I'll be able to win them over with a well-crafted LOCI, and a visit.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Checking in for Penn as well! Really hoping to get off this WL :cry:

ldlestrange

Bronze

Post by ldlestrange » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Christinabruin wrote:Checking in for Penn as well! Really hoping to get off this WL :cry:
+1 ! Going to ride this one until the bitter end

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm checking in for Penn and Cornell. I didn't write "Why Penn/Cornell" essays, but I'm still a bit surprised at the Cornell WL. My stats were > 75th GPA and > 25th LSAT, so I figured I'd get admitted and get a couple dollars. I'm less surprised about Penn. Regardless, I instantly withdrew from both waitlists. I already got into more preferable options in the T14 when considering my career goals/debt adversity.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 pm

So, is consensus that we should write a LOCI as soon as we get waitlisted, instead of waiting until Aprilish when they'll start making decisions?

I'm thinking I'll send an initial LOCI stating I still want to attend and why, and then send another one in a month with updates, etc. Thoughts?

addie1412

Silver

Post by addie1412 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Last edited by addie1412 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Checking in...waitlisted at Penn and GW (so far).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fantasyfreak294

New

Post by Fantasyfreak294 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 am

OtterLaw wrote:I started a thread like this last year and it was really helpful. Glad to see someone did one this year! I had the head of the adcomm at the school I was trying to get into tell me that a LOCI is best sent about once a month to let them know you are still interested. I tried in mine to provide meaningful updates to what I was doing and things that would make my application seem more appealing.

Best of luck to everyone! Waitlists can be disheartening, but if it's your top choice just remember a waitlist is not a rejection. Keep the faith!
Thank you for this advice!

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 am

So far
GW and UCLA

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:03 am

hellohalo wrote:So far
GW and UCLA
.... but you have a JS1?
I hate law school admissions.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

WL at Vandy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

magdalena92

New

Post by magdalena92 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Whoop whoop waitlist at Georgetown

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Cornell got my LOCI, yipee :?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm

UCLA's waitlist information says "Since much of our wait list activity takes place during the summer months (May through August), this is the best time to write to us." However, they also say once a month LOCIs are sufficient. Now I'm not sure if I should send them one ASAP or not.

Should I wait until closer to May to send one, or should I just send one out soon anyway and then send one every month?

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I got my WL at GW on Monday so I'm thinking about waiting a week or so before I start scheduling my visit. I already sent in my fall grades and a letter before hearing back so, I especially want to wait until March-ish to send LOCI and LOR. Since they don't look at the WL pile until after the first seat deposit in April, I'm trying to take it easy and not over-do it. Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:13 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:UCLA's waitlist information says "Since much of our wait list activity takes place during the summer months (May through August), this is the best time to write to us." However, they also say once a month LOCIs are sufficient. Now I'm not sure if I should send them one ASAP or not.

Should I wait until closer to May to send one, or should I just send one out soon anyway and then send one every month?
Just asked a similar question. I've read a lot about how LOCI are kind of pointless unless you have something substantial to mention (grade boosts, promotion, new job, etc.). I also have been thinking about waiting a few weeks before I start taking more action. I'd rather have things sent in the Spring before they start digging into the WL as opposed to now.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:16 pm

tparty wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:UCLA's waitlist information says "Since much of our wait list activity takes place during the summer months (May through August), this is the best time to write to us." However, they also say once a month LOCIs are sufficient. Now I'm not sure if I should send them one ASAP or not.

Just asked a similar question. I've read a lot about how LOCI are kind of pointless unless you have something substantial to mention (grade boosts, promotion, new job, etc.). I also have been thinking about waiting a few weeks before I start taking more action. I'd rather have things sent in the Spring before they start digging into the WL as opposed to now.
Got it, I'll wait a little bit until I have an actual update to my application and then send in my initial LOCI then. Thanks!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:19 pm

tparty wrote:I got my WL at GW on Monday so I'm thinking about waiting a week or so before I start scheduling my visit. I already sent in my fall grades and a letter before hearing back so, I especially want to wait until March-ish to send LOCI and LOR. Since they don't look at the WL pile until after the first seat deposit in April, I'm trying to take it easy and not over-do it. Thoughts?
Would it be okay to schedule your visit whenever is best for you, and then to just write your LOCI a while after (like until March) you sent your initial letter? You could still write the letter as soon as you get back so everything is still fresh, but send it out closer to March.

I'm genuinely not sure if this is a good move or not lol, and it's one I'm considering as well, so if anyone has any insight, please comment!

tparty

Bronze

Post by tparty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:39 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
tparty wrote:I got my WL at GW on Monday so I'm thinking about waiting a week or so before I start scheduling my visit. I already sent in my fall grades and a letter before hearing back so, I especially want to wait until March-ish to send LOCI and LOR. Since they don't look at the WL pile until after the first seat deposit in April, I'm trying to take it easy and not over-do it. Thoughts?
Would it be okay to schedule your visit whenever is best for you, and then to just write your LOCI a while after (like until March) you sent your initial letter? You could still write the letter as soon as you get back so everything is still fresh, but send it out closer to March.

I'm genuinely not sure if this is a good move or not lol, and it's one I'm considering as well, so if anyone has any insight, please comment!
I definitely think waiting to write your letter after you visit the school is a good move. That's what I'll be doing because it'll give my emphasis on their school a bigger push - if that makes sense. Just don't wait too long to do the visit and write the letter. End of February/beginning of March is what I think I'll do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”